Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/9/2001 11:10:00 PM   
lnp4668

I guess I am in the range at 30, but SPWAW is my first wargame.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 61
- 3/9/2001 11:27:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Well, since this 'ol Sarge stopped havin' birthdays a few years ago, gotta think about this.....if I'm not mistaken, 35 sounds about right for age. Can't remember the first wargame I played, but it was probably Risk (probably 12-13 when I started), which led to a distinguished list: Squad Leader Panzer Leader PanzerArmee Afrika Wooden Ships/Iron Men Gettysburg Star Fleet Battles (yeah, I'm also a Trekker) Air Cav (modern warfare) The Fleet series (2nd, 3rd, 7th) Devil's Den Did some miniatures gaming while in the Navy...then came the computer. Too many to name...Steel Panthers series, West Front, Tanks, Harpoon (which I got to see as a Navy training program before it was released to the general public), the list goes on... ------------------ The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@cvn.net[/email]

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 62
- 3/9/2001 11:30:00 PM   
Secapra

37 YEARS OLD BUT I HAD A HARD PAPER ROUND!

Secapra

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 63
- 3/9/2001 11:40:00 PM   
McGib

34 and married. Started with miniatures 1/76 scale around the age of 12, then moved on to Squad Leader then jumped to computers. ------------------ McGib Ready Aye Ready

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 64
- 3/10/2001 12:02:00 AM   
Croaker

I am 53. I bought my first copy of Tactics II at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago probably in 1962 or 1963. I ran across the counters the other day. This was the set with the round HQ units. I have played these games off and on for nearly forty years. The computerized games are somewhat better than the cardboard games in some limited ways. The family cat cannot make strategy on the mapboard when your back is turned, for instance. The cardboard games were better in some ways particularly visually. I think it would be very cool if some enterprising game designers would make printable maps available with their scenarios. Most of us have pretty good printers nowadays. ------------------ Croaker

Croaker

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 65
- 3/10/2001 12:18:00 AM   
Tankhead

Well let see now 41 going on 10 and looking for new body parts . My first war game was Afrika Corps and when to Panzerblitz move on to Impire on C 64 than got hook heavy in Squad leader then came SPI SPII SPIII and finaly to the best ever SPWaW. Oh did I mention I'm only 10 Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]tankhead@tankheadcentral.com[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://www.tankheadcentral.com

Tankhead

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 66
- 3/10/2001 1:30:00 AM   
halstein

I am one of the younger, at 27. Some of the folks here have been gameing for longer than that. ------------------ Halstein

Halstein

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 67
- 3/10/2001 4:37:00 AM   
AC

Well, I'm 33, married, 1 daughter, 1 dog, 2 goldfishes. I've been playing wargames for about seven years now, and besides of SPWAW and the original SP series I liked AH games very much. Don't know why, but I always thought to be one of the older wargamers, only to find out now to be younger than the average. AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 68
- 3/10/2001 5:08:00 AM   
Guardian

I can't believe this! I am youngest so far. 21 years behind, 14-15 with all kids of computer games. Started with Vic-20. After that Spectrum, C-64, Amiga, 286, K6, P2. I haven't played board games because I haven't have anybody to play with.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 69
- 3/10/2001 5:16:00 AM   
Dedas

Ha ha! This is unbelievable! I’m the youngest one in this forum!? My 18 birthday was the 7 of mars... I am the new generation of wargamers to grow up? mmh... As a matter of fact I do not care, I just love SPWAW, Matrix Games and you guys! Thanks for me...

Glory to the brave

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 70
- 3/10/2001 5:33:00 AM   
JediMessiah

another puppy here---24 yrs young! -jedimessiah

"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 71
- 3/10/2001 5:40:00 AM   
Paul Goodman

OK, Wild Bill, after you, I am the oldest. Are you SURE you're still alive? I am 58 and started with AH Gettyburg in, I guess, 1959!! Paul

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 72
- 3/10/2001 6:16:00 AM   
CaptainBrian

32 yrs old. First game was "Tank Battle" in 1975 or 1976. My key experience occured in 1990-91 while embarked aboard USN shipping during "WW SWA" (DESERT SHIELD/STORM). One of my fellow Marines turned me on to ASL Squad Leader. He was an armorer and had the armory space to himself. It soon became our gameroom. With 8 months of doing "Gator Squares," we played our fair share of games.

CaptainBrian

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 73
- 3/10/2001 6:41:00 AM   
Sami

I only repeat what I said before... I never thought the age range being THIS LARGE! My congratulations for the "old timers", you keep us young ones in order and playing!!! Cheers (the 26-year old BOY) Sami

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 74
- 3/10/2001 6:55:00 AM   
Lucullus

I am 29 years old. I began playing these type of games starting with squad leader when I was 12.

"America ... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable. "

Hunter S. Thompson, US journalist, Fear & Loathing on

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 75
- 3/10/2001 7:03:00 AM   
Venger

quote:

Originally posted by skukko: 36,3girls,married. Started wargames in late70's, boardgame-don't remember name... mosh
Damn, you married three girls! When do you have time for SP?? Venger

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 76
- 3/10/2001 7:55:00 AM   
chief

As I said in an earlier post...you pups are still wet behind the ears...I'll state that unless your 70 years old I claim to be the oldest, (69), I will yield gracefully to anyone older, yes most of the parts still work...... ------------------ Sm:):)th Sailing...chief

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 77
- 3/10/2001 10:31:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thank you Chief! Whew, I'm tired of being the "old bag of bones" around here. You got it! Paul, I took my pulse, ...yeah, I'm still here. Just wanted to be sure! Hey Grunt, Gyrenes don't get old...they just get better, or is that an overstatement? Great crowd here. You are all the best! Wild Bill (now demoted to 2nd oldest!) ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 78
- 3/10/2001 11:02:00 AM   
Phil

I'm about to be 35 and I got my first wargame when I was about 12. It was the Avalon Hill game PanzerBlitz. But alas, growing up in south Louisiana, there were no other kids in the neighborhood interested in wargames, so I pretty much made up a solitare like version to keep myself occupied. In high school I met one other kid who would play wargames. We got together about 5 times in the 4 years we were together and actually played. (Come to think of it, I still see the guy, and I turned him on to Steel Panthers about 6 months ago. He totally flipped out on it. He actually asked if there were any teeshirts that said "I'd rather be playing Steel Panthers" available!) About 5 years ago, my birthday was coming up. I decided that I wanted a new computer game. I remembered the old Squad leader games me and my buddy would play, and wondered if a similiar Computer game was available. I began searching the internet to find one, and this one game called..... what was it again???? Oh yea....Steel Panthers...kept coming up. I decided to check it out and have been hooked ever since. A great big thanks to all those guys like Wild Bill (and all the others I can't recall right now) that keep an old classic fresh and interesting. ------------------ [This message has been edited by Phil (edited March 09, 2001).]

Phil

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 79
- 3/10/2001 11:14:00 AM   
degen

I'm in the mid range of ages at 39. Married with two little ones (3 and 7 months). I had a fascination with war since I was a kid. Have enjoyed reading about it and wish I could have bought more of the $1 Ballantine series on WW2. (Anybody remember those books, circa 1971?) My first wargame was SPI's Breitenfeld (sp). My favorites were SPI's Sniper and AH's Squad Leader, but I had a bunch of the SPI games. Started playing Starcraft, C&C, and then stumbled across SP3 last spring for $5 at compusa. Got hooked on the system and found SPWAW when searching for more info on SP3. So here I am... Btw, always had much respect for Rommel, who did so much in the desert with so little, hence the signature below. ------------------ "I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton [This message has been edited by degen (edited March 09, 2001).]

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 80
- 3/10/2001 11:23:00 AM   
Jeff Norton

38, hyperactive 2 year old daughter, and a wife that really hates me staying up late playing WAW or posting to the Forum... Oh, well... Guess I'll have to get her some more quilt stuff... Started around 10 with AH's Luftwaffe. Older brother just killed my USAAF every time we played... . Migrated up to SL and PL. Others TOO numerous to mention. Still have about 50 'survivors' left... I pass the remains of the 'old' AH office every morning here in Baltimore. I let out a howl of greif every day, back and forth... Oh, the strange looks I get... Can we raise a memorial???? -Jeff

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 81
- 3/10/2001 11:53:00 AM   
KG Erwin

To Gallo, if you're still working out that average age, what does it look like now? And to Jeff, we know who's helping to carry the torch into the computer age [This message has been edited by KG Erwin (edited March 09, 2001).]

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 82
- 3/10/2001 7:17:00 PM   
Cyric

Well, i see that i belong to the younger portion of this lot Age 25 ( 26 in november 26th ) Happy father of three beautiful children aged 6, 1,5 and 0,5 yrs. Been playing all sorts of boardgames since little boy, Roleplaying since the age of 12. D&D, AD&D, Cyberspace, Middle-earth role playing ( MERP ), Rolemaster. Now, unfortunately my time's limited to playing SPWAW. Have been enjoying myself very much so far. My dream is to have the time to play SPWAW and to be able to work on my roleplaying campaign.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 83
- 3/10/2001 9:05:00 PM   
waynef

Another over the hill guy here...45 years old. 2 kids getting into high school. Wife hates me playing as much as I do. Spent my youth playing APBA baseball. Mostly for the love of the game and its solitaire replayability. As computers became available played just about all PC wargames. Steel Panthers was and is the best of all time. SPW@W finishes what SP1 should have been!

"At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 84
- 3/10/2001 9:12:00 PM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by chief: As I said in an earlier post...you pups are still wet behind the ears...I'll state that unless your 70 years old I claim to be the oldest, (69), I will yield gracefully to anyone older, yes most of the parts still work......
WOW - That's great chief - I hope I'm still gaming in 19 years when I reach your age. I feel young now. Only problem is now I'll have to change ALL my jokes about Wild Bill - ARGH!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 85
- 3/11/2001 2:34:00 AM   
chief

Figmo: I'm sorry I beat out the Navy's Junior service (USMC) but I tried to hit the 'Next Oldest Topic' at the end of this post/page, but it wouldn't send me back to WB's site....something wrong with my machine I guess...oh well back to reading these posts, they are so interesting I'm cutting into game time...... ------------------ Sm:):)th Sailing...chief

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 86
- 3/11/2001 2:49:00 AM   
alarpe

I am 25, married and with children. Though I am having a Rommel drives... PBEM league game with real WW2 vet. He's now (If I remember it right) 72 years. He has a mortar shrapnel wound. He's Italian. According to him he was patrolling the Yugoslavian mountains when he was 17½ years old. I'd say that's a hard one to beat!

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 87
- 3/11/2001 2:53:00 AM   
RockinHarry

Almost 35, and if not cranking up the "marshall" to 11, I rock with SPWAW. Started with Kampfgruppe, War in Russia, Btl. Commander, Panzer grenadier, Panzer Strike, Typhoon of Steel...on AtariXL or C64 in the late 80´s. Also Squad Leader is colecting some dust now. Is there life after SPWAW? Maybe CL? ____________ RockinHarry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 88
- 3/11/2001 3:16:00 AM   
nikb

Well 32, however, its Sunday morning and I'm feeling about double that, no make that triple! Started playing computer wargames in the mid 80's - the game I can't quite recall. I think it was one set in Nth Africa. Nik

Nik

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 89
- 3/11/2001 4:23:00 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: 42 years old, still Rockin and thumpin the bass!! Bought the sp arsenal some 4 or 5 years ago, got hooked playing online with sp3 Got hooked rockin when I heard some band from england sing "ya ya ya" heheh Alby [This message has been edited by Alby (edited March 08, 2001).]
That's cool, Alby. I'm glad to see another bass player in the bunch. I was a weekend warrior of the club variety for close to 25 years. Gave it up in 97, just after my daughter was born. Now, all of my weekends are spent with the family and in front of the PC, fighting on the virtual battlefields. Still love my rock n roll, though!

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI