Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How much can you do with the LCS?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: How much can you do with the LCS? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/12/2016 2:01:46 PM   
Rudd

My vote goes to this, maybe with an AN/SPY-1F.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2014-04/its-time-sea-control-frigate&ved=0ahUKEwjYiMPIk4nMAhWC5yYKHehUC_wQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNGU1mcPmdGrJ5gXgDT7N9J-S3BZvA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://blog.usni.org/2014/05/16/sea-control-frigate-analysis-of-alternatives&ved=0ahUKEwjYiMPIk4nMAhWC5yYKHehUC_wQFggeMAE&usg=AFQjCNEzfCtZWPAHvDtF_wSwx5CtUKCTkg

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 61
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/12/2016 2:54:03 PM   
Skjold

I personally think the LCS (I heard them referred to as Little Crappy Ships) is getting alot of flak becouse at least on face value it has less capability and is more expensive then the ships it is replacing.

< Message edited by Skjold -- 4/12/2016 2:56:20 PM >

(in reply to dandin384)
Post #: 62
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/12/2016 5:05:36 PM   
mikmykWS

Yeah lots of development problems and the modules aren't done. Press bangs on this and the F35 equally.

This being said I've been on Freedom and you can see the potential. Lots of space for stuff and a very slick ship.

Mike

(in reply to Skjold)
Post #: 63
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/12/2016 11:59:17 PM   
Wiz33

Well, Looks like the LCS is finally getting some teeth:

http://www.businessinsider.com/navy-new-norwegian-antiship-missile-2016-4

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 64
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/13/2016 7:24:43 AM   
Sabresandy

Given a little more self-defense capability and the ability to mothership a handful of unmanned systems--ideally a mix of ACTUVs, RHIB-based systems, and a few UASes for eyes and light strike--there might well be something to the LCSes. The really high dash speed is of suspect usefulness, though; that seems to be an overemphasis on the small boat swarm threat.

(in reply to Wiz33)
Post #: 65
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/13/2016 11:45:47 AM   
Sardaukar

I think LCS is way overpriced for capabilities it offers. It also lacks range for replacing all ships it is supposed to replace. Lack of defensive/offensive weaponry is of concern too.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Sabresandy)
Post #: 66
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/13/2016 2:28:39 PM   
jtoatoktoe

LCS 1 is getting the Naval Strike Missile, so that's a start.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 67
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/13/2016 4:20:10 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jtoatoktoe

LCS 1 is getting the Naval Strike Missile, so that's a start.

Indeed. But there is certain perceived lack of self-defence capabilities, which are critical to environment those ships are supposed to operate in.

I am sure they will sort that out with enough money...but...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jtoatoktoe)
Post #: 68
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/13/2016 7:43:40 PM   
Wiz33

Short of adding the necessary fire control suite for ESSM. The best that can be hoped for in short term is probably SeaRAM.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 69
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 12:08:11 AM   
MichaelJCuozzo

The CMANO group on Facebook has gone over the usefulness of the LCS in depth. Basically, until the weapons change and the ship is fitted to face legitimate 21st Century blue water threats, it's a coffin.

(in reply to Wiz33)
Post #: 70
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 2:53:12 AM   
Sabresandy

In which case, might it not make more sense to buy dedicated blue-water frigates for the role? If we really wanted the jack-of-all-trades not-really-a-warship, the Danish approach with the Absalon-class support ship or a larger number of Sea Fighter types would work relatively well. (Come to think of it, the Danish Absalons are almost everything that the LCS is supposed to be, discounting the anti-small boat mission.)

(in reply to MichaelJCuozzo)
Post #: 71
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 3:31:07 AM   
ExNusquam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikewritesfic face legitimate 21st Century blue water threats,

What does the "L" in LCS stand for again?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabresandy
If we really wanted the jack-of-all-trades not-really-a-warship, the Danish approach with the Absalon-class support ship or a larger number of Sea Fighter types would work relatively well. (Come to think of it, the Danish Absalons are almost everything that the LCS is supposed to be, discounting the anti-small boat mission.)

In what world is the Absalon-Class not a warship? It weights 6000+ tons, and nominally carries 16 Harpoons and 30+ ESSMs. The Absalon weighs twice as much as an LCS and has significantly more capability than was ever intended for the LCS program (C2, Hospital and sealift)

You guys really seem to think the LCS is supposed to be something that it's just not. It was never designed or envisioned to go toe-to-toe with peer-level surface combatants. Here's a quote about what it was supposed to do:
quote:

That requires the ability to counter growing “asymmetric” threats like coastal mines, quiet diesel submarines, global piracy, and terrorists on small fast attack boats. It also requires intelligence gathering and scouting, some ground combat support capabilities, and the ability to act as a local command node, sharing tactical information with other Navy aircraft, ships, submarines, and joint units.

I've yet to see any evidence that the original LCS plan would have failed to complete these missions.

(in reply to MichaelJCuozzo)
Post #: 72
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 4:03:15 AM   
Dysta

I think the major issue to make LCS has to be nimble and seems underpowered is due to the single powerplant to achieve abnormally fast speed. Last I remember, the surface ship that could reach above 35 knots will be either civilian motor yacht, hydrofoil or alike with very small displacement, or US CVN that reaching to 'classified' top speed with all nuclear reactors giving peak powers. Even Cold War era of sub-chasers rarely need to be that fast since the nuclear powered sub rarely flanking all the way with substanial noise, until the quieter models are introduced.

Hovercraft is even faster (50 knots or above), the Bora-class is a fine example from the ex-Soviet engineering that is as heavily armed and fast as possible to counter surface naval invasion, do not forget that it got lots of powerplants and redundancies for numerous sea conditions, and that is the reason why it won't endure the journey as long as the conventional corvettes did.

It might be true that speed and jack-of-all-trades are essential, and proved its worth since the existence of USS Constitution two centuries ago. Moreover, war is getting more dimensional, and gun-to-gun battle become past, it is understandable that even the small vessel have to act like a tough flagship to perform more intelligences and asymmetrical advantages, instead of a minion-style workhorse for frontline battle.

But again, speed is the double-edge sword, fast can hunt small and imminent threat down fast, but so does the engine and fuel.

(in reply to ExNusquam)
Post #: 73
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 4:10:55 AM   
Primarchx

quote:

ORIGINAL: ExNusquam
I've yet to see any evidence that the original LCS plan would have failed to complete these missions.

So what missions does the LCS excel at?

ASuW? No one thinks so. The implementation of AGM-114L was seen as a major lethality boost (huh?) but at least now they're talking NSM for the future.

ASW? Mission modules are too heavy and still not ready. Prosecution is only possible with helos.

MCM? Nope, still years from deployment.

(in reply to ExNusquam)
Post #: 74
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 5:15:27 AM   
FTBSS

And the capability to cost ratio is way to low in other words for what these things cost they should be alot more effective in most roles you think they are capable in

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 75
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 12:39:06 PM   
mikmykWS

My only issue with them is there isn't really a completed module yet. We can't even evaluate how good they are at x until these are completed. Other than tour around we have yet to see these ships do something other than travel. This could totally be how the Navy is communicating though.

Mike

(in reply to FTBSS)
Post #: 76
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 4:37:28 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

My only issue with them is there isn't really a completed module yet. We can't even evaluate how good they are at x until these are completed. Other than tour around we have yet to see these ships do something other than travel. This could totally be how the Navy is communicating though.

Mike

You're right about the modules.

One has to look at LCS first in terms of its design effort to control long term sustainment costs for operations.

I worked Army acquisition, and post production sustainment costs (including manpower, training, and hard sustainment items such as ammunition, fuel, and spares) drove anywhere from 65 to 90 percent of the life cycle costs for deploying a combat system after engineering development, production, and initial deployment costs were factored in. The largest single cost impact over the lifecycle of a system was manpower and training for operations, maintenance, and its share of supply support.

LCS is one of the first deployed systems whose design criteria placed life cycle cost containment on a par with combat capability.

Launching the platform allows the Navy to begin testing its concept for reducing operational costs by minimizing the crew complement necessary to sail the ship, and rotating crews on the platform to keep it operationally available up to 50-percent of the time during its life (current systems average approximately 25-percent operational availability due in part to crew fatigue / workload constraints to maintain combat readiness).

When LCS combat role was first defined, the Navy was focusing on the emerging DoD role to support combat against asymmetrical threats and insurgent operations. Today, it appears that DoD is building a consensus that conflicts with major powers such as Russia, China, North Korea, and Iran are potential threats.

The late 90s doctrine developers were wise to recognize that the threat environment could change while the LCS platform was still in production, and defined the modular weapons hosting concept you mention in the design criteria so the platform remained viable as the threat focus changed.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 77
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 5:24:03 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimcarravallah

quote:

Mike

One has to look at LCS first in terms of its design effort to control long term sustainment costs for operations.

I worked Army acquisition, and post production sustainment costs (including manpower, training, and hard sustainment items such as ammunition, fuel, and spares) drove anywhere from 65 to 90 percent of the life cycle costs for deploying a combat system after engineering development, production, and initial deployment costs were factored in. The largest single cost impact over the lifecycle of a system was manpower and training for operations, maintenance, and its share of supply support.

LCS is one of the first deployed systems whose design criteria placed life cycle cost containment on a par with combat capability.

Launching the platform allows the Navy to begin testing its concept for reducing operational costs by minimizing the crew complement necessary to sail the ship, and rotating crews on the platform to keep it operationally available up to 50-percent of the time during its life (current systems average approximately 25-percent operational availability due in part to crew fatigue / workload constraints to maintain combat readiness).

When LCS combat role was first defined, the Navy was focusing on the emerging DoD role to support combat against asymmetrical threats and insurgent operations. Today, it appears that DoD is building a consensus that conflicts with major powers such as Russia, China, North Korea, and Iran are potential threats.

The late 90s doctrine developers were wise to recognize that the threat environment could change while the LCS platform was still in production, and defined the modular weapons hosting concept you mention in the design criteria so the platform remained viable as the threat focus changed.

Thanks Jim

Do you think the problem is though is that the module designs are also fluid? Not that this is wrong but it does lead people to the conclusion that they're not ready/completed.

Ex. Surface module was first built to deal with swarms in the littoral (guns and small missiles with high rates of fire). Now there is an added requirement of being able to duke it out with a contemporary or Chinese/Russian vessel with defensive systems?

I'm really a fan of these ships!

Mike

(in reply to jimcarravall)
Post #: 78
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 7:13:24 PM   
Primarchx

quote:

Thanks Jim

Do you think the problem is though is that the module designs are also fluid? Not that this is wrong but it does lead people to the conclusion that they're not ready/completed.

Ex. Surface module was first built to deal with swarms in the littoral (guns and small missiles with high rates of fire). Now there is an added requirement of being able to duke it out with a contemporary or Chinese/Russian vessel with defensive systems?

Mike

Both good points above about cost savings and expectations. But from what I've seen only the LCS ASuW module has actually been effectively deployed to date. The others seem to be chasing a moving target and failing in basic performance benchmarks followed by lengthy 'back to the drawing board' periods. I'm all for finding good TCO economies but what we see more and more of (not just with LCS) are promises of fiscal improvement turning into programs of spiraling cost that struggle to meet even fundamental performance goals.

I have no expectation of LCS competing 1:1 with a well-defended warship. However it should be an offensive/defensive match for a FAC-M, a frequent resident of the littoral region the LCS was designed to operate in. While helos/UAVs help even the scales, organic, all-weather offensive OTH weapons are IMHO necessary to make that happen.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 79
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 8:20:47 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimcarravallah

quote:

Mike

Thanks Jim

Mike

I worked for the material developer (logistics development for new systems).

You describe what we called "mission creep" -- it's the case you see when you fix a customer's issue with a software update, and that customer says, "Thanks for the quick turn around to address my problem, now what if . . ."

The war fighter who defines the threat and the capability desired to address the threat changes their mind after the original documentation is used to develop the engineering solution (the material developer's part of the program) once the engineering costs have been sunk and the schedule allocated to address the design solution has been used. Starts the whole cycle over again (particularly when the vendor performing the services based on the material developer's contracted costs and schedules sees more money coming his way if the new requirement is added and sides with the war fighter) and generates cost overruns and schedule delays.

You have to freeze an engineering design to build a solution, but you can't stop technology from superseding the design once it's been built, but not yet tested or put in operation.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 80
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 8:36:56 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

quote:

Thanks Jim

Mike

Both good points above about cost savings and expectations. But from what I've seen only the LCS ASuW module has actually been effectively deployed to date. The others seem to be chasing a moving target and failing in basic performance benchmarks followed by lengthy 'back to the drawing board' periods. I'm all for finding good TCO economies but what we see more and more of (not just with LCS) are promises of fiscal improvement turning into programs of spiraling cost that struggle to meet even fundamental performance goals.

I have no expectation of LCS competing 1:1 with a well-defended warship. However it should be an offensive/defensive match for a FAC-M, a frequent resident of the littoral region the LCS was designed to operate in. While helos/UAVs help even the scales, organic, all-weather offensive OTH weapons are IMHO necessary to make that happen.

You sound like a war fighter ;-).

If the threat imposed by a FAC-M being deployed in littoral waters were defined in the original mission module(s) requirements, a mission module's engineering solution would address it. My guess is that the original requirements didn't account for that threat capability, and if added now, drive up costs, delay deployment, and cause outside observers to question the wisdom of the program or dictate the need for a follow on program to develop an unanticipated mission module.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 81
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 9:49:26 PM   
Primarchx

Some (recent) interesting reading on the subject. https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL33741.pdf

Post #: 82
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 10:56:16 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

Some (recent) interesting reading on the subject. https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL33741.pdf

Most interesting for me in the FAS review is defining the LCS as single mission focused platform defined by its mission module. Indicates several platforms, each configured for a specific aspect of the flotilla's mission, would have to be deployed to address a multi threat environment.

Not too different from a ground combined arms unit where several different platform capabilities are combined into a task group, and their combat power multiplied by a robust networked combat environment instead of each platform being charged with addressing multiple threats.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 83
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/14/2016 11:46:49 PM   
Primarchx

This part is pretty telling as well...

quote:

March 2016 GAO Report
A March 2016 GAO report assessing DOD weapon acquisition programs stated:

Mine Countermeasures (MCM)
The Navy has accepted six MCM packages without demonstrating that they meet interim or threshold requirements. The package has four increments: the first is designed to remove sailors from the minefield and improve mine detection, classification, and neutralization over legacy vessels. Operational testing for the first increment was scheduled to begin in fiscal 2015. This testing has been suspended following a series of performance and reliability shortfalls during developmental tests. The Navy stated that, when the package was available, it significantly exceeded performance requirements during tests. The Department of Operational Test and Evaluation stated that the Navy did not take into account that the systems were unavailable for 85 of 132 days of testing. Test officials determined that the current MCM system would not be found operationally effective and critical MCM systems and the Independence-variant seaframe are not reliable. Test officials support the Navy's September 2015 decision to suspend further testing and evaluate alternatives to key systems and assess technical and programmatic
risks. The findings of this evaluation have not yet been finalized.

Surface Warfare (SUW)
The Navy has accepted seven SUW packages and plans to accept one more in fiscal 2017. Each increment one package currently consists of two 30 millimeter guns, an armed helicopter, and two rigid hull inflatable boats. In August 2014, the Navy found that the package met interim performance requirements on the Freedom variant and is currently testing the package on the Independence variant. To meet threshold requirements for SUW a surface-to-surface missile is required. The Navy plans to use the Army's Longbow HELLFIRE missile for this capability, as it canceled two previous efforts. According to program officials, initial demonstrations with Longbow HELLFIRE
have been successful and operational testing is planned for fiscal year 2017.

Antisubmarine Warfare (ASW)

According to the Navy, the systems that comprise the ASW mission package are mature, as they have been fielded by United States and foreign navies. In September 2014, the Navy completed development testing aboard the Freedom variant, but the mission package is currently 5 tons over its weight parameters. Navy program officials stated that they recently awarded contracts to reduce package weight by at least 15 percent. The Navy is now planning to meet the threshold requirement for ASW in 2017, a one year delay from last year's estimate, as the Navy redirected funding for ASW to make up for funding shortfalls in the MCM and SUW packages.

Other Program Issues

The Navy continues to procure LCS seaframes, even though the sub-systems necessary to meet threshold mission package requirements have not yet been fully developed and integrated with both seaframe designs. The Navy will not achieve the capability to meet threshold requirements for all three of the mission packages until 2019, by which time it plans to take delivery of 22 ships. The Navy plans to begin procurement of a modified LCS in 2019.

GAO Response
The systems that comprise the Navy's mission packages have yet to work together to achieve stated minimum requirements. The failures of the MCM package during testing this year and the subsequent indefinite delay of MCM initial capability are emblematic of the Navy's challenges. In the absence of a defined increment-based approach to sequentially gain knowledge and meet requirements, the Navy's acquisition approach is not in accordance with best practices.

This doesn't just have issues of 'mission creep' with regard to ASuW modules, but both the ASW and particularly the MCM modules, which to my knowledge have not strayed much from their initial project specifications, won't even be to threshold capability, if they pass at all, before 22 vessels have been delivered.

Post #: 84
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/15/2016 11:04:33 AM   
jimcarravall

quote:

This part is pretty telling as well...

quote:

March 2016 GAO Report
A March 2016 GAO report assessing DOD weapon acquisition programs stated:

Mine Countermeasures (MCM)
The Navy has accepted six MCM packages without demonstrating that they meet interim or threshold requirements. The package has four increments: the first is designed to remove sailors from the minefield and improve mine detection, classification, and neutralization over legacy vessels. Operational testing for the first increment was scheduled to begin in fiscal 2015. This testing has been suspended following a series of performance and reliability shortfalls during developmental tests. The Navy stated that, when the package was available, it significantly exceeded performance requirements during tests. The Department of Operational Test and Evaluation stated that the Navy did not take into account that the systems were unavailable for 85 of 132 days of testing. Test officials determined that the current MCM system would not be found operationally effective and critical MCM systems and the Independence-variant seaframe are not reliable. Test officials support the Navy's September 2015 decision to suspend further testing and evaluate alternatives to key systems and assess technical and programmatic
risks. The findings of this evaluation have not yet been finalized.

Surface Warfare (SUW)
The Navy has accepted seven SUW packages and plans to accept one more in fiscal 2017. Each increment one package currently consists of two 30 millimeter guns, an armed helicopter, and two rigid hull inflatable boats. In August 2014, the Navy found that the package met interim performance requirements on the Freedom variant and is currently testing the package on the Independence variant. To meet threshold requirements for SUW a surface-to-surface missile is required. The Navy plans to use the Army's Longbow HELLFIRE missile for this capability, as it canceled two previous efforts. According to program officials, initial demonstrations with Longbow HELLFIRE
have been successful and operational testing is planned for fiscal year 2017.

Antisubmarine Warfare (ASW)

According to the Navy, the systems that comprise the ASW mission package are mature, as they have been fielded by United States and foreign navies. In September 2014, the Navy completed development testing aboard the Freedom variant, but the mission package is currently 5 tons over its weight parameters. Navy program officials stated that they recently awarded contracts to reduce package weight by at least 15 percent. The Navy is now planning to meet the threshold requirement for ASW in 2017, a one year delay from last year's estimate, as the Navy redirected funding for ASW to make up for funding shortfalls in the MCM and SUW packages.

Other Program Issues

The Navy continues to procure LCS seaframes, even though the sub-systems necessary to meet threshold mission package requirements have not yet been fully developed and integrated with both seaframe designs. The Navy will not achieve the capability to meet threshold requirements for all three of the mission packages until 2019, by which time it plans to take delivery of 22 ships. The Navy plans to begin procurement of a modified LCS in 2019.

GAO Response
The systems that comprise the Navy's mission packages have yet to work together to achieve stated minimum requirements. The failures of the MCM package during testing this year and the subsequent indefinite delay of MCM initial capability are emblematic of the Navy's challenges. In the absence of a defined increment-based approach to sequentially gain knowledge and meet requirements, the Navy's acquisition approach is not in accordance with best practices.

This doesn't just have issues of 'mission creep' with regard to ASuW modules, but both the ASW and particularly the MCM modules, which to my knowledge have not strayed much from their initial project specifications, won't even be to threshold capability, if they pass at all, before 22 vessels have been delivered.

I could write a whole dissertation on the DoD acquisition process and how mandatory spending funding streams get out of phase with technology development dreams causing issues as cited above.

More important than the FAS analysis is how the acquisition is progressing is documentation of the acquisition strategy being used to address that progress. It is due May 1, and was reported as being behind schedule as late as December.

It should have been in place before the two hulls were built and the module development started.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 85
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/15/2016 4:02:31 PM   
Primarchx

We're seeing more of this as acquisition programs do their 'parallel development' of platforms and testing. If testing is done at all, falling to the wayside of vendor 'assurances'. Which then lead to costly overruns when, surprise, surprise, the vendors were blowing smoke and the system doesn't perform as promised after the barn door is closed and units have been delivered.

Post #: 86
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/15/2016 9:38:40 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

We're seeing more of this as acquisition programs do their 'parallel development' of platforms and testing. If testing is done at all, falling to the wayside of vendor 'assurances'. Which then lead to costly overruns when, surprise, surprise, the vendors were blowing smoke and the system doesn't perform as promised after the barn door is closed and units have been delivered.

In this note you sound like a material developer ;-).

Sometimes deliberate and cautious with new technologies is better than jumping in and sticking war fighters with less than a capability they need.

To go a little deeper (for the final time), one problem is how funds are allocated for development. Some approval votes in the US Congress are focused on where money is spent, and promises are made in individual districts about when the funds arrive to boost the local area's economy. The immature mission module production racing ahead of the platform development screams that promises were made to keep the program funding stream in tact in exchange for favorable votes, and work arounds were used inside the program to develop the skins of modules before the technology timelines they required to be operationally effective were developed. Basically hardware is purchased with holes in capabilities where mature technologies can be inserted when they are finally matured.

The Marine Corps Osprey is a good example, where some of the requirements were met, but the prototype platforms crashed in testing. Boeing raked in double the cash it had planned when it delivered the faulty platforms to test on time, and then demonstrated during test that the platforms already built were deficient in certain aspects and needed more research and development funding than had already been allocated.

The Osprey works now, but at a higher cost in development, and behind the original planned schedule for meeting all requirements than had originally been promised.

I'll get out of this discussion now, not because I don't enjoy it, but because it really isn't focused on the topic of the thread.

If you're interested in some more background on the issues, send me a PM and I'll be glad to discuss them from my perspective from "inside" the system.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 87
RE: How much can you do with the LCS? - 4/15/2016 10:06:42 PM   
Primarchx

jim - I really appreciate your insight. Thanks for shedding some 'insider' light on these programs!

Post #: 88
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: How much can you do with the LCS? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI