Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Conflict Marcus Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Conflict Marcus Island Page: <<   < prev  114 115 [116] 117 118   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/6/2015 8:50:54 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I dropped this infantry division off at Guam about 50 days ago...she was bought out, but depleted.

She has added about 30 infantry squads in 50 days...not quite the resurrection that the 4th ID had in Java returning to full strength from one squad in about a month and a half. Not enough manpower to draw from, although supplies are plentiful.

The other option is to wait while they fill up at Tokyo which would be the absolute fastest flow of reinforcements; but I worried about rampaging Allies and a transport ship shortage.

On IntelMonkey that division looks full strength!

In other Marianas news, Rota got a Coastal Defense unit pulled all the way back from the front lines in the lower Solomons without a loss. Amazing how the Allies ignore some areas of the map...

I can't tell from this display, so I'll just mention - in Rest mode they have a chance to draw replacements every turn as opposed to less often in combat mode.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3451
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/6/2015 8:52:53 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

You'd better start training Low Nav for Army and Navy now if you're not, as you'll need a ****load of them.

Yep, I am training them. Thanks for the reminder.

For some reason, all my large training squadrons were in Thailand when the game started, and I have finally finished moving them back to the HI. At least they will make Allied recon think I have more planes at Tokyo/Yoko than I actually do.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3452
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/6/2015 8:56:01 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
Make sure you get these upgraded to 43 squads too!

I would like to, but not every division upgrades to 43 squads...or am I missing something? Hopefully?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3453
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/6/2015 8:57:41 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
I can't tell from this display, so I'll just mention - in Rest mode they have a chance to draw replacements every turn as opposed to less often in combat mode.

I guess I could also break it down into thirds, that speeds up reinforcements too.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3454
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 5:26:27 AM   
Alfred

quote:

I am convinced that experience plays a huge multiplier effect on everything in this game...

The Betty Pilots, despite a 70 NavT training level, had only an average 56 experience. I am going to start a training program sending these groups to China to build experience as that would be faster than ASW/Nav Search I think.

Torpedoes also seem to be best at either larger, or slower ships, and cleanup.

Boy, I wish I had sent the KB in...what a time to do plane maintenance. Sigh.

The term "experience" is much bandied about by players, and often too loosely.

There is a difference between "Experience" and "experience". One is the overall quality of a pilot and is derived from the aggregate of his skill ratings, which could also be referred to as his "experience" level in those skills. The other is this somewhat artificial construct which exists by itself as a result of abstraction.

For game purposes, performance in combat is based on the relevant skill rating (or as it could be referred to were it not for the propensity to cause confusion, as the skill experience). The pilot field labelled "Experience" is a catch all term which covers the non combat performance. A pilot who nurses home a damaged plane may see his "Experience" rating increased because it is a non combat performance and is not covered by any of the specified skill ratings.

The Betty pilots would have performed much worse in combat if their "Exp" level was in the high 70s but their "NavT" level was in the low 30s.

Alfred

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3455
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 5:56:48 AM   
witpqs

Alfred,

Has a developer confirmed that the 'Experience' rating affects *only* non combat performance?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3456
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 9:41:06 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

I am convinced that experience plays a huge multiplier effect on everything in this game...

The Betty Pilots, despite a 70 NavT training level, had only an average 56 experience. I am going to start a training program sending these groups to China to build experience as that would be faster than ASW/Nav Search I think.

There is a difference between "Experience" and "experience". One is the overall quality of a pilot and is derived from the aggregate of his skill ratings, which could also be referred to as his "experience" level in those skills. The other is this somewhat artificial construct which exists by itself as a result of abstraction.

For game purposes, performance in combat is based on the relevant skill rating (or as it could be referred to were it not for the propensity to cause confusion, as the skill experience). The pilot field labelled "Experience" is a catch all term which covers the non combat performance. A pilot who nurses home a damaged plane may see his "Experience" rating increased because it is a non combat performance and is not covered by any of the specified skill ratings.

The Betty pilots would have performed much worse in combat if their "Exp" level was in the high 70s but their "NavT" level was in the low 30s.

Alfred

This makes me want to do a test to confirm.

My experience is most likely a lot less than Alfred's, (maybe a 61 to his 85) but I have seen the experience of pilots make up for their lack of skill in combat on numerous occasions and in very different ways, or perform better than pilots with similar skill sets but lower experience.

Firstly, I'm convinced (but happy to be proven wrong through tests or examples) that high experience pilots in combat continue to target more often in bombing runs regardless of their bombing skill ratings. I've seen this on the Allied side and the Japanese side. Late in game when I had numerous well trained bomber pilots the golden boys still got the job done more effectively even though their comparative bombing/defensive skill ratings were comparable.

Secondly, in A to A combat, high experience pilots seem to have more sticking power when their plane is damaged or when they are defending a bombing strike. Even in remarkably outclassed airframes an experienced pilot can fight and survive against something 80-100mph faster, more durable and better gunned, where a 50exp guy with the same air/defense skills will most often get flamed.

In terms of the above example, I don't think it's as usefull as asking would a 50exp/70 skill pilot fare better than a 70exp/50 skill pilot (as you wouldn't often put a 30 skill torpedo bomber pilot into a bombing group heading out on a strike anyway, but you might put that 70exp/50 skill guy in there just because you know he'll get to target more often). I'd definitely go with 70exp/50 skill pilots if all other factors were the same and they were expected to meet CAP.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3457
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 11:06:56 AM   
ny59giants

Rebuilding LCUs - If your ground unit is within range of a Corp or Army HQ, then you will draw devices/squads once every three days (sufficient supply requirements meet). If you are within range of a Command HQ, it will occur daily.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3458
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 1:25:06 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Rebuilding LCUs - If your ground unit is within range of a Corp or Army HQ, then you will draw devices/squads once every three days (sufficient supply requirements meet). If you are within range of a Command HQ, it will occur daily.

They are. I am using my Command HQs I think very well. Wish I could use other tools as well.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3459
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 1:37:02 PM   
Lowpe

Oct 20, 1943

No night bombing.

The Searaven, I think, puts 3 torpedoes into an IJN CA...and gone. Gone. Gone. Adequate destroyer screens...good ASW umbrella with planes on day and night, but gone anyhow. I lost the Oi the same way, but it took only 2 torpedoes to put her down.

To add to my misery, Sabang is swpet and bombed. 0 minute warning on the bombing run...I should really have chewed him up and the the lack of warning cost me. I am rushing more radar sets there, but it is painful reminder to remember to have multiple sets of radar (I think the best is in the AA Regiments).

Allied Panzer Army in Burma is up to 9 units, one of which is an Inf division, so I guess they will attack today. 415 AV of Japanese troops defending, but the mix isn't good. Not enough tanks, not enough IJA 43 squads, not enough ART. They do have forts level 1. Three tank regiments are racing up the road, followed by the Heavy ART. Just a few more days, please...Helens bombed his forces for no effect.

No AA over Chungking. Daily bombardments, plus air bombing.

Well, after thinking about it, I am sending the KB into the Andamans. They have to run the sub gauntlet, and they will meet with my surface ships 5 hexes from Port Blair. Could be a disaster so stay tuned...sweeps ordered over Port Blair from land based air, but the striking package will be planes from the KB.

It seems I can't do much right lately. Japan in late 43.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/7/2015 2:43:03 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3460
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 1:48:09 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Alfred

Thanks Alfred, as always your explanations make sense. I have gotten into the habit of calling Experience, the abstract pilot skills, experience and the actual skills as training levels (in this case NavT).

The game is deep and nuanced there is always more to discover.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3461
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 2:11:37 PM   
Lowpe

Some good news...the next generation torpedo bomber is flying near Tokyo and the Jack squadron is at Medan.

Sometimes I think I get too fixated on the plane and not enough on the pilots.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3462
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 2:30:24 PM   
Lowpe

Despite all the combat lately, Japan passed the 5.5 million supply mark, 2.725 million fuel, 3.065 million oil.

For a comparison to another scen 1 game: Obvert had on Oct 15, 1943: 4.7 million supplies; 4.022 million fuel; and 546K oil.

No doubt my lack of fuel is related to never taking Rangoon, taking very late Java, etc. I need to save more supplies!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3463
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 4:41:59 PM   
Lowpe

Oct 21, 1943

No night attacks...

A lone PB running supplies to Kusaie is sunk by four fletchers...not a good start.

But no sub attacks...

And the sweeps go into Port Blair, one after the other until no enemy fighters are present, but the KB decides to target something closer, something that had reacted to the IJN buildup as hoped for. Herein lies the perils of generous engagement ranges as the Allied ship has no air cover!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3464
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 4:49:51 PM   
Lowpe

An afternoon strike too....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3465
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 5:05:55 PM   
Lowpe

Not as good as I would like, but I will take anything I can get...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3466
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 5:09:31 PM   
Lowpe

Plane losses...the high op losses to the Oscars are because one of their bases suffered Allied bomber attacks...which accounts for the 10 Mitchell losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3467
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 5:10:40 PM   
Lowpe

Two Allied divisions on the Burma Road, what joy!

We hold, but will get thoroughly trashed tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3468
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 5:22:14 PM   
Lowpe

The Andamans, really, just whistling past the grave here if I can't stop that Allied tank juggernaut.

I think he is going to charge me with all his destroyers.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/7/2015 6:26:09 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3469
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 7:04:19 PM   
Lowpe

Stay tuned, dear readers, the next turn is sure to be action packed!

How will the Allies react in the Andamans? What will the IJN do? Who will react first? Those and many more questions answered later today.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3470
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 9:32:47 PM   
Encircled

For the millions of your followers who live on this side of the pond, is it likely to be before we hit the sack?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3471
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 10:33:25 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

For the millions of your followers who live on this side of the pond, is it likely to be before we hit the sack?

Probably not, but you never know!

Here is the Hawkins of class Hawkins...interesting 7.5 inch guns. No idea why it is 1 more VP than the London class.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/7/2015 11:34:48 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 3472
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 10:43:12 PM   
Lowpe

This next turn is bound to be very exciting.

There is plentiful night naval search on both sides, the Allies will probably charge the KB looking for a night engagement, while the IJN will attempt to protect the KB and also pursue an aggressive bombardment of both Port Blair and Cap Nicobar with a sneaky maneuver by the KB. Hopefully, there will be an important role played by an old friend.

With reaction ranges set, night naval search, aggressive commanders, meek commanders, who knows what will happen!

At this stage of the game, the Allies would like nothing more than destroyer engagements on Japan no matter the losses and really what can Japan do? Every ship loss is dear...but so is the fuel and oil.

I really don't like being this aggressive, but feel there is no better place on the map for Japan to fight right now, and I have to keep the oil flowing for at least another two months...if I can delay in Indochina.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3473
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 10:45:40 PM   
Lowpe

Turn is in the mailbox...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3474
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 10:55:44 PM   
Lowpe

Oct 22, 1943

An Allied Destroyer attacks a Iboat a mere 90 miles from Port Blair...a good sign despite the damage done, and then in the inky darkness punctuated with violent thunderstorms Tanaka does his duty...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3475
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 10:58:51 PM   
Lowpe

Hot on the heels of Tanaka a powerful IJN surface fleet tries to make contact with the Nashville group...and fails.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3476
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 11:04:40 PM   
Lowpe

Another engagement for task force Nagato...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3477
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 11:14:47 PM   
Lowpe

Another engagement for Task Force Nagato...I hope they call it a night!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3478
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 11:17:15 PM   
Lowpe

PT boats...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3479
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/7/2015 11:19:54 PM   
Lowpe

You can stop holding your breath now...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3480
Page:   <<   < prev  114 115 [116] 117 118   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Conflict Marcus Island Page: <<   < prev  114 115 [116] 117 118   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI