Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Invasion Marianas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Invasion Marianas Page: <<   < prev  121 122 [123] 124 125   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/17/2015 1:00:46 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Sweep:

»» Sweep – In this Mission the aircraft attempt to draw enemy CAP over the target
hex
into an air to air engagement. If the group attacks at 100’, the planes will
also attempt to strafe the target if CAP does not drive them off. Squadrons are
limited to one Fighter Sweep per day; if weather keeps the fighters from flying
a Sweep Mission in the morning, they will be eligible to fly one in the afternoon.

-- Anybody ever just sweep over an ocean hex?

Only enemy base or nonbase hex with enemy troops can be sweep. (not sure about empty land hex of nonbasehex with only friendly troops)
Sweeping ocean hex or friendly base is impassible

Thanks, Koniu! I thought so, but wondered on the off chance you picked an enemy carrier hex that it might go thru.

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 3661
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/17/2015 7:56:01 PM   
obvert

Ok. Losing Rota without a fight basically is actually pretty huge for you. I'd get a few DD/TB TFs to the Northern Marianas base where you have a field, sit them under CAP for a turn, then run them in. I did this a lot against Jocke and got some good hits on CVE and the amphibs that way. You should run as much night search with Jakes as possible.

Hit that dot with something as well. You don't want a field here any time soon.

I really think this is KB territory, especially since you have fields intact you can support with. You can run a LR CAP and swing the KB near an island base in close. Screw the 8 hex strike. Get in and hit hard. If you happen to win this you could still shut him down here for a while and reinforce. If you don't your 20 hex perimeter idea won't matter anyway. He just builds them up and knocks you down once the B-29s arrive.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/17/2015 8:56:33 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3662
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/17/2015 8:42:39 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Ok. Losing Rota without a fight basically is actually pretty huge for you. I'd get a few DD/TB TFs to the Northern Marianas base where you have a field, sit them under CAP for a turn, then run them in. I did this a lot against Jocke and got some good hits on CVE and the amphibs that way. You should run as much night search with Jakes as possible.

I really think this is KB territory, especially since you have fields intact you can support with. You can run a LR CAP and swing the KB near an island base in close. Screw the 8 hex strike. Get in and hit hard. If you happen to win this you could still shut him down here for a while and reinforce. If you don't your 20 hex perimeter idea won't matter anyway. He just builds them up and knocks you down once the B-29s arrive.

Are you referring to LRCAP over KB? Because it's at drastically reduced effectiveness over air combat TFs.

Now, you might be able to LRCAP over an SCTF in the same hex as KB as a nifty little trick...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3663
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/17/2015 9:04:59 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

Are you referring to LRCAP over KB? Because it's at drastically reduced effectiveness over air combat TFs.

Now, you might be able to LRCAP over an SCTF in the same hex as KB as a nifty little trick...

Yes, this, or just put some ships nearby and LR CAP those. Even a several hex bleeding CAP will often react, but I'd include some as LR CAP.

I wish you cold LR CAP your own sub, but I've not had that work, yet!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3664
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/17/2015 10:02:16 PM   
Lowpe

The turn is away...we shall see how badly I get trashed.

The game is going to hell in a handbasket, but I am still hopeful. Hopeful for a swift and painless death most likely.

The entire Port Moresby, Rossel Island, Umboi, Rabaul, Kusaie Ponape, Truk line has been bypassed. I thought for sure I had a window to use the KB in the Andamans with the CV capable Corsair...obviously not.

Allied supply is going thru Marshalls, Wake and Marcus...perhaps I can slow him somehow here. Truk is getting 50K supply, so that is probably about it there. Flying troops out of Kusaie, and also flying a splinter out of Tinian, I don't fancy buying back a division .. Hopefully not too many are shot down...none were yesterday.

The KB is assembling, and will have in it 750 planes less one CVE that is getting fixed from a torpedo attack in Tokyo.

Moulmein seems to be getting bypassed to the jungle east...I have some troops heading there, perhaps it will cause the Allies to hesitate, but I doubt it. The fall back is the two jungle ridge terrain hexes on the roads. By two weeks I should have 2000 AV in each I think...delay is the name of the game, delay and keep shipping oil.

Thanks everyone for all your advice! Keep it coming please, I need it.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/17/2015 11:04:05 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3665
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/17/2015 10:13:31 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

The game is going to hell in a handbasket, but I am still hopeful. Hopeful for a swift and painless death most likely.

The entire Port Moresby, Rossel Island, Umboi, Rabaul, Kusaie Ponape, Truk line has been bypassed. I thought for sure I had a window to use the KB in the Andamans with the CV capable Corsair...obviously not.

Allied supply is going thru Marshalls, Wake and Marcus...perhaps I can slow him somehow here. Truk is getting 50K supply, so that is probably about it there. Flying troops out of Kusaie, and also flying a splinter out of Tinian, I don't fancy buying back a division .. Hopefully not too many are shot down...none were yesterday.

The KB is assembling, and will have in it 750 planes less one CVE that is getting fixed from a torpedo attack in Tokyo.

Moulmein seems to be getting bypassed to the jungle east...I have some troops heading there, perhaps it will cause the Allies to hesitate, but I doubt it. The fall back is the two jungle ridge terrain hexes on the roads. By two weeks I should have 2000 AV in each I think...delay is the name of the game, delay and keep shipping oil.

Well, here's the thing. Unless he wants to risk you cutting him off (or simply cutting in behind him from the north/east) once he moves past the Marianas, he's going to have to expand somehow. In his position, I would strike south through Babeldaob and try to link up with a SLOC thrust from Darwin, but what do I know?

Could also come at Rabaul "from behind", as it were, via the same route and clear it out that way.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3666
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/17/2015 10:18:11 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Well, here's the thing. Unless he wants to risk you cutting him off (or simply cutting in behind him from the north/east) once he moves past the Marianas, he's going to have to expand somehow. In his position, I would strike south through Babeldaob and try to link up with a SLOC thrust from Darwin, but what do I know?

Could also come at Rabaul "from behind", as it were, via the same route and clear it out that way.

I think he is going either across to Luzon...which in effect cuts oil from SRA...or straight for Japan. There is just no activity in the SRA, Northern Oz, Port Moresby, Solomons etc. Of course with 30+ hex recon, he will pick the easiest route...

Unfortunately, Woelai and Yap and Babeldaob and Luzon aren't strong of course, and really neither is Naha and Daito. That will change somewhat in a week or two, and the KB presence should help. Hopefully.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/17/2015 11:18:42 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3667
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/17/2015 10:27:11 PM   
Lowpe

The IJA will launch a surprise paratroop drop today in Burma, weather willing.

A surprise sweep and airfield strike at Prome...target 167 transports, plus cover for the paratroop drop.

On the bad side, Allies will probably attack again on the Tuang Gyi road...

Two days away from invasion at Great Nicobar, bombardments at Cap Nicobar.

A few sweeps in the Marianas, midgets moving all over the place. All but two Iboats or Rboats damaged, more coming in.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3668
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 5:45:29 AM   
koniu

quote:

quote:

+1
LCAP over Air Combat TF have 50% effectives penalty.
It simulates difficulty of finding that TF by LCAP because AC TFs changing position and move direction constantly to adjust for wind to be able to send and receive planes and avoid detection by enemy.

Workaround of that is to LCAP SAG that is with KB in the same hex. But it have risk. IF KB react toward enemy and SAG not You will not have LCAP over KB at all.
So You choosing between 50% LCAP effectiveness or 100% effectiveness with risk of having nothing

< Message edited by koniu -- 3/18/2015 6:51:32 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3669
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 7:07:11 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1
It simulates difficulty of finding that TF by LCAP because AC TFs changing position and move direction constantly to adjust for wind to be able to send and receive planes and avoid detection by enemy.

Workaround of that is to LCAP SAG that is with KB in the same hex. But it have risk. IF KB react toward enemy and SAG not You will not have LCAP over KB at all.
So You choosing between 50% LCAP effectiveness or 100% effectiveness with risk of having nothing

Should be fine if the SAG is following KB. Or put it on an ASW TF also following, or spread the wealth!

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 3670
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 11:57:50 AM   
Lowpe

Nov 2, 1943

No sub hits during the night, one midget lost.

No night bombing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3671
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 12:06:41 PM   
Lowpe

Lilly Divebombers strike an ASW force heading back for re-stocking.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3672
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 12:10:24 PM   
Lowpe

The IJA holds for another critical day on the Tuang Gyi Road...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3673
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 12:21:01 PM   
Lowpe

Bad weather hits the Marianas, my sweeps don't fly. Allies sweep Guam. Guam 0 runway damage; and Saipan at 6. I think I will fly everything in for strikes on the morrow.

Rota holds, Tinian bombarded.

Why do Island defenders always revert to bombard mode?

Planes were tasked with attacking the Anzio and couldn't find the target due to weather or range. Shame...

Over in Burma, two Yank engineer units with 40+AV each show up in Tuongoo and spoil my small paratroop drop.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/18/2015 1:25:29 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3674
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 4:06:55 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

Should be fine if the SAG is following KB. Or put it on an ASW TF also following, or spread the wealth!

Actually, I think you have it reversed - air combat TFs following another TF allegedly do not react towards enemy air combat TFs.

I don't think the SCTF will react with your air combat TF...right? As the ACTF reaction happens during the air phases, so the SCTF would have to also react move then, and they won't do that.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3675
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 6:13:31 PM   
JocMeister

What I did (and as far as I remember I never suffered any reactions) was to place a small SCTF in the lead. Just 4 DDs with a low aggro TF leader. I then set all the CV TFs individually to follow that TF.

So CVTFs to follow SAG. Not the other way around.

EDIT: What Loka says.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 3/18/2015 7:14:21 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3676
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 7:22:02 PM   
obvert

Yes, you guys are absolutely right about the CVs following SAG/ASW to prevent a react. I learned that the hard way in our game Jocke!

Even if the LR CAP isn't 100%, 20-30 Georges or Franks will do wonders for the CAP.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3677
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 11:20:06 PM   
Lowpe

That two destroyer/1 DE TF savaged by Lillies is really a strange composition: 1 fletcher, 1 wickes (), 1 Evarts class DE (19 knots)

What the hey?

Subs targeting the Anzio...plus some strike planes out a to 13 hexes from Truk.

I have several offensive air attacks in the Marianas...we will see if any can get thru the Allied CAP. Perhaps, if he is sloppy or if the timing is right.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3678
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/18/2015 11:30:53 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

That two destroyer/1 DE TF savaged by Lillies is really a strange composition: 1 fletcher, 1 wickes (), 1 Evarts class DE (19 knots)

What the hey?

Subs targeting the Anzio...plus some strike planes out a to 13 hexes from Truk.

I have several offensive air attacks in the Marianas...we will see if any can get thru the Allied CAP. Perhaps, if he is sloppy or if the timing is right.

Strikes me as a probably ASW TF.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3679
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 1:58:08 AM   
Lowpe

Nov 3, 1943

Dark, dark night...and an Iboat strikes!

She sinks later during the day.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/19/2015 3:33:02 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3680
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 2:15:12 AM   
Lowpe

Marianas...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3681
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 2:32:27 AM   
Lowpe

The Kaga and company got spotted coming out of Tokyo last turn, and the Deathstar moved north to threaten her.

Japan lost 100 planes total to the Allies 40 yesterday. Roughly.

Still hunting the Anzio with subs...

KB getting closer, Guam can't support all those planes, Saipan can. Runways pristine, repair shops damaged.

All midget subs sunk. 13 midget subs fired a total of twice.

Anzio -- strike that, I think the Anzio is two hexes east of Rota, so no clue what the other CV is on the east edge.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/19/2015 3:50:06 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3682
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 2:46:57 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

Strikes me as a probably ASW TF.

Oh, I agree. But does he have so many Fletchers as to waste one in this role already. Ugh.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3683
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 5:40:03 AM   
JocMeister

He doesn´t have that many Fletchers yet,.

Can you provide some more intel on the Allied Deathstar? I´m not really sure why your opponent is so aggressive. As I said before looking at other AARs the KB usually ends up victorious this early in the game. But your opponent seems to play like an allied victory is a sure thing. I don´t get that. He seems to be itching for a CV fight when he should play defensive and make sure he troops get ashore and stay there.

By moving north he can no longer provide cover for his landings and he burns fuel which might cost him a turn to refuel at some point.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3684
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 6:23:45 AM   
Sangeli

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

He doesn´t have that many Fletchers yet,.

Can you provide some more intel on the Allied Deathstar? I´m not really sure why your opponent is so aggressive. As I said before looking at other AARs the KB usually ends up victorious this early in the game. But your opponent seems to play like an allied victory is a sure thing. I don´t get that. He seems to be itching for a CV fight when he should play defensive and make sure he troops get ashore and stay there.

By moving north he can no longer provide cover for his landings and he burns fuel which might cost him a turn to refuel at some point.

+1 to that

Allies need to keep pushing forward. No reason to go pick an unnecessary battles like this. Especially with something as important as the Marianas invasion. Better off letting the KB come to you if you're worried about a KB attack.

Honestly this whole invasion seems sort of half-baked to me. I thought so when the Anzio got hit with only 10 planes on CAP. Allies have only real base and its a small one. Runways are clear still and surprise is gone. Tinian or another base better fall in the next 4 or 5 days or Allies have some serious problems. I am predicting Japanese victory.

< Message edited by Sangeli -- 3/19/2015 7:29:16 AM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3685
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 9:35:29 AM   
Encircled

He's clearly launched it early after the KB was spotted in the Andamans.

No problem with that, but its asking a lot to grab the Marianas before it turns up on the scene.

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 3686
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 9:48:23 AM   
obvert

quote:

The Kaga and company got spotted coming out of Tokyo last turn, and the Deathstar moved north to threaten her.

KB getting closer, Guam can't support all those planes, Saipan can. Runways pristine, repair shops damaged.

Anzio -- strike that, I think the Anzio is two hexes east of Rota, so no clue what the other CV is on the east edge.

Hold on. I don't understand. Is the Kaga with the KB or is the KB somewhere else? If you're protecting info for OPSEC I understand, but this is really confusing.

His move North is crazy right now! An Allied invasion should be in and out quickly. Two days max, then gone. This is asking for it and the KB should be within a days move to get there just in case of something like this.

If you're prepared you'll be able to punish any mistake or half-assed move, and especially this one!

A few more things. The Judy strike is telling. If you can get through, you need to pile on everything possible now. High strikes with 2E TB possibly, low strikes with Jakes and 1E TBs plus some 2E IJAAF bombers, then the real strikes it the sweet zone in the middle altitudes once the CAP is spread out all over the place. If he has more than range 0 CAP that seems to be bleeding then sweep that base, bomb it, get the CAP directed everywhere but over his fleets.

This is a great opportunity. Don't hold back! You've got nothing to lose and a LOT to gain.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3687
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 10:58:14 AM   
JocMeister

Yeah, read Eriks AAR and see what he did to me when I went for the Marianas. That was a PITA!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3688
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 12:56:45 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Hold on. I don't understand. Is the Kaga with the KB or is the KB somewhere else? If you're protecting info for OPSEC I understand, but this is really confusing.

His move North is crazy right now! An Allied invasion should be in and out quickly. Two days max, then gone. This is asking for it and the KB should be within a days move to get there just in case of something like this.

If you're prepared you'll be able to punish any mistake or half-assed move, and especially this one!

A few more things. The Judy strike is telling. If you can get through, you need to pile on everything possible now. High strikes with 2E TB possibly, low strikes with Jakes and 1E TBs plus some 2E IJAAF bombers, then the real strikes it the sweet zone in the middle altitudes once the CAP is spread out all over the place. If he has more than range 0 CAP that seems to be bleeding then sweep that base, bomb it, get the CAP directed everywhere but over his fleets.

This is a great opportunity. Don't hold back! You've got nothing to lose and a LOT to gain.

KB was in drydock getting a torpedo damage fixed. She still has 2 major damage, but she left with Cl/DD and was spotted south of Tokyo...so I think the Allies thought it was the KB and moved the deathstar north.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3689
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/19/2015 1:00:02 PM   
Lowpe

Here is the Deathstar

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3690
Page:   <<   < prev  121 122 [123] 124 125   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Invasion Marianas Page: <<   < prev  121 122 [123] 124 125   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI