Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Invasion Marianas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Invasion Marianas Page: <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 3:00:32 AM   
Lowpe

Meanwhile the escape back continues apace. I am impressed with how quickly troops can be transported by air, surely this can't be historical and might be considered gamey. Don't know.

The air bridges are working from Truk to Ponape and Kusaie. Manus to PM. Rabaul to the lower Solomons. And out of Guam and Saipan. Psst: don't tell the Allies they might LRCAP them and shoot the planes down.

First troops are arriving in the PI were the Allies are interested in cutting off everything south. Really a good choice, lots of potential targets, and good potential airfields, and no IJA troops or not much and too far south to activate kamikazes. From playing downfall, I am not sure how damaging kamikazes will be...they haven't impressed there, but then again pilot skill really is quite poor in that scenario.

You can see now the Allies are reconning another base including the base to the east. Not good. I just picked up the Wake CD unit and may throw them there.

I am also very worried about an attack from Marcus to Hokkaido. Not much I can do but dig in and keep several eyes peeled.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3871
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 3:11:03 AM   
Lowpe

Another deliberate attack on IJA forces on the Tuang Gyi road, and they hold with a 1-2, but the it doesn't look like they can hold any longer. All the artillery is evacuating in combat mode, the damaged RTA units and Armor in reserve and the plucky 33rd Division will continue to hold the forts.

The Uttaradit holding holding force is busy digging in with the 1st Tank Division and 2 other IJA Divisions one of which is heavy. Artillery and AA arriving and I don't see how the Allies will be able to get past them.

But bad news, the Allies bomb the troops holding the jungle/river hex due east of Moulmein. It is only a RTA divison, some 20mm auto cannon AA, and some other odds and ends. I was actually shocked the attack didn't come after the bombing. Either he messed up his movement estimation, or he is recon by bombing, or he wants to soften them up for a few days first. If the Allies show up there, the 2000K defenders of Moulmein will have to retreat....back to the JR dirt road positions where some troops are now getting ready, I hope to have 2K in each with the southern 2K retreating back to Singers and the eastern 2K retreating back to Raheng.

Uttardit and Raheng keep building fort levels, I don't think I will ever stop and it is a mistake for the Allies not to be bombing them with something each day. Also building forts on the rail line to Singers.

I am not sure why the Allies haven't relentlessly attacked here in Burma...no way I could stop him after that wrongway retreat at Tuang Gyi.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/28/2015 4:11:47 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3872
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 5:30:14 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Meanwhile the escape back continues apace. I am impressed with how quickly troops can be transported by air, surely this can't be historical and might be considered gamey. Don't know.

The air bridges are working from Truk to Ponape and Kusaie. Manus to PM. Rabaul to the lower Solomons. And out of Guam and Saipan. Psst: don't tell the Allies they might LRCAP them and shoot the planes down.

This one of my biggest gripes with the game. Its almost impossible to cut anything off. I moaned something fierce about it and finally discovered LRCAP wasn´t working against transports. Michealm fixed that but you still have to be really close to the base our you can´t intercept.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3873
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 7:08:09 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

This one of my biggest gripes with the game. Its almost impossible to cut anything off. I moaned something fierce about it and finally discovered LRCAP wasn´t working against transports. Michealm fixed that but you still have to be really close to the base our you can´t intercept.

Yep. My one thought is that the Japanese considered these planes were using for only their intended purpose and didn't put them into mass use flying troops. Not sure if t's possible on the scale that works in game though. The Allies have pretty good transport by air too, so I guess it can work both ways, and was very helpful to me setting up first bases in So Pac.

Things that would have inhibited the mass use of transports in this way were maintenance and parts for that air fleet being used so heavily, ops losses (especially at night), and other bits like fuel availability for so many four engine flying boats. (Do troops perish when a transport is shot down?).

Plus there would have been a massive log-jam loading and unloading at each end. They did manage to do some big evac ops but mostly with barges and other smaller shipping.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3874
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 4:53:59 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

LRCAP doesn't cut them off, but CAP with the right range settings will.

I wish LRCAP did, so that you could target specific bases, but I know that MM tried to either fly in supply or fly troops out of a base not so long ago and I shot down a decent number of transports/flying boats in a single day.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3875
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 5:14:55 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Darn, I knew that, and then forgot it. Now I know it again.

I have a few Emilies that are likely to get shot to pieces today.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3876
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 5:18:20 PM   
Lowpe

I was thinking of disbanding some destroyers in dot bases in the PI, especially ones a few hexes back and unlikely to be reconned by the Allies.

Then when the invasion comes, I can form them up into two and three ship squadrons to race in and cause havoc at night, and then hopefully retreat far enough away to avoid air attacks (but most likely they will sink).

Sounds like fun.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3877
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 5:22:48 PM   
Lowpe

This turn I am trying one more time to kick the Allies out of Great Nicobar...I managed to get the Raider Regiment down to 14 AV, have kept up with aerial and shore bombardments and there was no AA fire last turn, but I bet that is because of high disruption and not no supplies. Here is hoping.

Of course, a worry is the POW will show up, so two destroyers are racing into Cap Nicobar to disrupt either resupply or to screen the Allied force.

I have two Kongo's available, but I don't think they could fight off the POW. In addition I have two Emily squadron on night torpedo attacks, so they might get a shot at her.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3878
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 5:31:18 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

I wish LRCAP did, so that you could target specific bases, but I know that MM tried to either fly in supply or fly troops out of a base not so long ago and I shot down a decent number of transports/flying boats in a single day.

If its not its broken again. After Michealm sorted it out I had no problem intercepting transports (within the parameters) using LRCAP.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3385105&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3879
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 7:28:01 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

If its not its broken again. After Michealm sorted it out I had no problem intercepting transports (within the parameters) using LRCAP.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3385105&mpage=1&key=

I had Tojos flying LRCAP from Neikiang over Chungking, which is a range of 2. As far as I knew, the parameters were that it had to be within half of normal range, yes? They never intercepted a single plane, and I thought because of that Bullwinkle wasn't flying stuff in. Except he had been, for months and months.

Maybe because it was over an enemy base? But isn't that the point of transport interception? Presumably, if I had been running CAP range 2, it would've worked? I do know that CAP based in-hex at Tabiteuea took down MM's planes, and they showed up in A2A losses.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3880
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/28/2015 7:40:07 PM   
witpqs

You've also got to have altitude close enough, in other words normal intercept stuff still applies.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3881
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/29/2015 2:50:07 PM   
Lowpe

Nov 17, 1943

No night bombing attacks.

Evacuations continues. Great Nicobar bombarded, and attacked but the Allies have flown in more Marine Raiders (a second unit) despite LRCAP from next door and hold. There are 9 Allied units there and not a single bombardment targeted the Marine Raiders so the Island still holds.

POW retreated back into the Bay of Bengal...

Other than that a very quiet, quiet turn despite the heavy Allied bombing at Saipan, Moulmein, East of Moulmein, and Trinkat.

This turn a midget sub is steaming from 2 hexes away into Brisbane and will patrol there while the mothership remains on station 2 hexes out.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/29/2015 3:51:19 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3882
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/30/2015 12:27:59 AM   
Lowpe

Nov 18, 1943

No night bombing. Bombard Great Nicobar, Allies keep flying in more troops, I think I will have to be satisfied with simply bombarding to prevent building for now. I am thinking of evacuating the infantry division on Trinkat while I can...those troops will be needed on either Sumatra or more probably Singers.

Forgot to take a sentai of Helens off ground bombing at Great Nicobar and they fly right into Corsairs. Enough said there.

Still holding on the Tuang Gyi road, color me surprised! Also no massive assault across the river at Moulmein or to the immediate east. This break is letting my troops recover and dig in further back. I already have engineers on the Vinh line digging in, plus the rail line to Singers, plus Raheng and Uttaradit.

Forts, forts, and more forts. My new mantra.

The IJN loses a destroyer, a nice one, two hexes from Japan to a lousy sub. Torpedoed once protecting a convoy, and then finished off as a straggler.

The great evacuation in the Cent Pacific and Solomons and New Guinea continues. All new troops are heading to points around the HI.

Maybe I have two months before the next big attacks come, depends if he cleans up the Marianas first or not. We shall be busy little engineers in the meantime. Bonins have 700AV, 800AV, and 400AV with good forts, supplies, CD guns, ART so they should at least be a little tough. PI, Daito, and Hokkaido are weak, but rapidly improving.

My goal is get defence on all the Islands to prevent an easy Allied air base close in. History has shown I can't stop Allied transports flying in supplies and troops (Great Nicobar) so that means ground pounders, INF, ART, everywhere. Armor on the more important bases. On the Atolls, I plan to stack as many of the low AV troops as I can and build forts. The more units present the greater the dispersion of the enemy bombardment.

The logical choice would be for the Allies to grab Ulithi and Yap for the air and naval bases and push onto PI, but lets not count out the go for the throat attack on Hokkaido!

I have a regiment headed to one of the islands (they make nice airbases, if lousy ports), plus engineers for all. More troops as I can spare them.

No winter rules for these bases, to far to the south.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/30/2015 1:30:27 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3883
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/30/2015 12:35:28 AM   
Lowpe

Midget sub strikes out again.

I had to pull the squadron's glen Iboat to fight in the Marianas, but at least the midget didn't sink. She will head back to the mothership and try Sydney, where I will have her penetrate the harbor recreating history.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3884
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/30/2015 2:15:40 AM   
Lowpe

More recon of the PI...

To go by his recon the next target will be the PI...I am really stripping the lower SRA and heading back to the PI.

Still absolutely no Allied movement in the northern Oz, Perth. I guess he wants to disect the Empire right in half.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3885
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/30/2015 2:29:36 AM   
Lowpe

On the plane front, the Myojo is 13 days away, and I need them to rebuild my naval divebombing force. Perhaps they will get here in time for the battle of the PI.

First Frank a factory fixed, very late to the party here, but I should see Frankr in first quarter 44. If you recall, I inherited two very large Frank R factories, so production will be pretty staggering.

Doing the math, I should have the HI fully staffed with NF well before the B29 shows up. Myrt Sa, and Nicks to start, Frances S and Peggy I will be in production with perhaps half the NF flying those advanced machines by April 44. Plus I plan to stuff all the AA I can in the big three industrial sites of Japan if I am still alive then.

Converted another small squadron to Jacks...this one for HI protection. 2 size 18 squadrons of Jack, that will be it. Jacks are kind of nice and compliment George too bad there simply is not enough supplies to make both.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3886
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/30/2015 2:32:24 AM   
Lowpe

Two or three days until the next attack at Chungking. Will have over 5K of assault value. I need Chungking for victory points, and also production.

China is one big bread basket for me, since somehow I inherited a no strategic bombing HR in this game.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3887
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/30/2015 11:52:31 PM   
Lowpe

Nov 19, 1943

Allies use 4E to bomb the Japanese major airbase at Chumphon. Over 250 fighters call it home, and far enough away to avoid Jugs' sweeps so it has remained pretty much untouched.

Three waves of Liberators, nasty beasties, and the Irvings are set at 40% CAP, 9K Altitude. The Irvings fight thru two waves and are gone for the third. I had hoped a lower percentage CAP would mean the Irvings would fight thru more waves, but I think a higher CAP is justified to hit the first and biggest wave. I can always set some Petes there on 10% CAP for the later waves.

The Irvings destroy one beastie and damage 8 others. Not bad for being outnumbered. Most attacks were made from underneath.

The last wave of 3 bombers destroyed 3 fighters.

It is battles like this that is teaching me how to use NF, and gives me some hope for the endgame as I know the Allied pilots were excellent, and my squadron of TRACOM experts were up to the challenge.

I still have only two squadrons of NF, desperately need more.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/31/2015 12:54:54 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3888
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/30/2015 11:59:37 PM   
Lowpe

The 33rd Division and company are forced out of their blocking position on the Tuang Gui road, they retreat thru the jungle to Chiang Mai.

Now all the stands between 2 Yank Divisions, and 1600 tanks is two depleted tank regiments and a damaged RTA third of a division. They will set up blocking positions on the Tuang Gyi road to keep the railroad open for as long as possible to Chiang Mai. Worst comes to worst I will fly out the 33rd division from Chiang Mai.

The hex north of Uttardit has 700 AV now, and should have 1400 with Artillery by the time the Allies show up, 2 ID + 1 Tank Division. I think they should hold for a while.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3889
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/31/2015 12:07:00 AM   
Lowpe

NJP graciously shared some Japanese end game secrets with me the other day, and the Allies are being meticulous in scouting out the Japanese bases making plans for their next attacks.

Build one area up, and the wicked Allies simply bypass. Definitely not cricket, but there you have it. My basic plan is to retreat to the PI, while all new troops are digging in closer to home to prevent a bold game ending strike within fighter range of the HI. Luzon will get the lions share of the SRA troops while the Solomon forces will go to Mindanao before heading to Luzon.

The whole goal is to buy time, time for my R&D to crank out some Joy! And for the Japanese Army to mobilize. NJP lost a lot of victory points losing Cities in the HI that were building ships, I aim to avoid that fate. Firebomb me to oblivion, but he HI will not be violated!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/31/2015 1:13:32 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3890
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/31/2015 4:36:25 PM   
Lowpe

My big movement for today was to increase production of the Helen transport plane by to 40 per month. Production started at 20, I bumped it up a month ago to 30, and now to 40.

I had the misfortune 2 months ago to have a bunch of transports nailed by 4Es by surprise.

Now, almost every transport squadron is busy flying troops. Most have 20 percent rest, some 30, but I still lost 4 to op losses last turn normally I don't lose any. Mainly, I think because I flew them into a damaged airbase by mistake. My bad.

So far none of the air movements are being intercepted.

My transport pilots are truly wonderful, all 70+ transport skills.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3891
RE: Invasion Marianas - 4/1/2015 3:25:28 AM   
Lowpe

Nov 20, 1943

No night bombing. I thought he might hit Chumphon again, but he doesn't seem to like to go up against the Irving-S.

Very quiet turn, normal heavy Allied bombing & sweeps. Allied recon of Mindanao continues, Samar now a 0 DL.

Japanese transports are intercepted at Saipan.

Picking up my midget sub, see below, and now onto Sydney for a harbor penetration.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3892
RE: Invasion Marianas - 4/1/2015 10:06:59 PM   
Lowpe

End game....

I am pretty much writing everything off all except for my line in the sand, everything outside of it will merely be a chance to slow the Allies and delay them, but I need to hold the HI and delay for as long as possible letting the Allies get an airbase within that limit. I counted 3 size 5AF, 10 size 4 and 10 size 3 AF islands he could land on...so they will get garrisons depending upon the potential AF size and location of the island. However, they are all important, even a size 2 AF can run sweeps offensively.

China -- I will pursue getting Chungking.

Burma, I have lost, Indochina I will fight in the west and then fall back to the Vinh line to the east, with another group retreating to Singers.

If he lands in the SRA, there won't be much to stop him. The yellow lines denote troop movements.

Fortress cities will include Singers, Manila, Hong Kong. Maybe others, but those three for sure.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/1/2015 11:09:35 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3893
RE: Invasion Marianas - 4/1/2015 11:03:04 PM   
Lowpe

Nov 21, 1943

Very quiet day, but movement all over the place and normal bombing in Indochina.

Lost one of my SSTs, which would be a joke of a ship anyhow except that it is worth a huge amount of vp, nailed by an enemy sub.

Allies moving down the Tuang Gyi road, some sneaky IJA are moving north thru the jungle to cut the road.

Still holding at Moulmein and the east. Amazing. Despite heavy daily bombardments, supply and strength building up.

210K oil leaves Singers for Hong Kong.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3894
RE: Invasion Marianas - 4/1/2015 11:56:53 PM   
Lowpe

Two secret missions coming up: one involving midget subs (meh), but another a chance at hurting the Allies some...stay tuned.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3895
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/2/2015 2:29:33 AM   
Lowpe

Nov 21, 1943

No night bombing.

Be still my beating heart! Midget goodness on the way...

Sydney Harbor, the mothership is undetected, and vents one motivated Midget....she penetrates the harbor, and...lo and behold a juicy transport, a sitting duck!

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/2/2015 4:00:25 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3896
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/2/2015 2:30:56 AM   
Lowpe

Not to be! Why didn't they ram!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/2/2015 4:01:07 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3897
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/2/2015 2:31:50 AM   
Lowpe

All is not lost, the mothership has torps too...egads, another xAP. Jackpot!

Hundreds of clicks, probes, VP lost, for this shot at fame and glory. Arggh!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/2/2015 4:01:41 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3898
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/2/2015 2:38:07 AM   
Lowpe

My air strike doesn't go off, will try again tomorrow, but need to fly to a different base. Perhaps the cat isn't out of the bag yet.

Allied tank army attacks down the Tuang Gyi road, the brave Tank Rgt peforms an excellent fighting withdraw, and actually heads south down the road, but those dastardly Allies have several units on reserve pursuit, and they follow too! They get pounded by 4E's flying low, 6K. 4E low on ground attack are just plain offensive.

More movement of forces...sending AKs pick up those 20cm monsters in the Wake CD unit...

One day until we attack at Chungking, now he has 83 units there and also flew in fighters, the Oscars give a 1-1 and for once the bombers didn't fly. Weather in the morning, but good leadership in the afternoon? Don't know, but I am not complaining.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/2/2015 3:39:02 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3899
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/2/2015 2:44:35 AM   
Lowpe

I have had a couple of private emails in recent weeks asking pretty much the same thing, so for general release:

1. This is a live AAR, no delay, sometimes I do it while watching the replay, can't get fresher than that. If there was a delay, I would never do it.

2. If Tiemanj accidentally clicks in here, and it can happen without malice, that is life. I get alot of enjoyment from doing the AAR as playing the game.

3. Yeah, the Allies could cheat and read the AAR...well, it is a game, and I am trying to max my enjoyment first and win second. So, life is short and I am not going to worry about giving that kind of nefarious actions. Come on guys, I am Japan! What more advantage could I really want and we all know the Allies have to cheat to win anyhow!

(PS: Okay, I know I am not going to win. But hopefully I can make it unpleasant.)

PPS: Tiemanj gave me the password when I picked up the game, and I have never bothered to change it.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/2/2015 3:48:38 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3900
Page:   <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Invasion Marianas Page: <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI