Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/14/2015 1:37:50 AM   
Lowpe

Ok, speaking of Myojo, my first training pilots are reaching 60+ in LowN. To what should I train my potential Kamikazes before returning them to the pools?

Is it pointless to train try and get their defence up?

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/14/2015 4:25:46 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3961
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/14/2015 5:01:08 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Looking at December the Myojo will fill up my divebombing squadrons and make a strong presence Luzon...hopefully.

Jan 1, 44 the Nick D night fighter and Irving Sa come on stream...so I will at least have a full contingent of night fighters to meet the B29s come April 44. I should have the Frances and Peggy starting production around April too.

I plan on using Petes and KAI Dinahs on a 10 percent setting too, if night bombing is a go by the Allies, at least at the big five industrial targets and perhaps at some of the plane r&d areas.

I am in so much trouble...

From what I remember the Myojo is pretty fragile and it's definitely pretty slow. It was originally a modified Val made of wood to save on precious aluminum!

So it packs punch. The question is whether the punch will ever arrive at target. For me a Judy of any kind, and especially a Grace, is a better option.

I am going to give them a try, and they are made of lots of wood.

I made the plane based on early comments to the AAR, I think from Spidery, but also backed up by you that there were several training squadrons that can upgrade to the Myojo but not Judies for kamikaze work.

Of course I have to survive till I get the training squadrons first.

However, I shut down my Judy factories until the D4Y4 comes along in a month or so, so the Myojo will probably get pressed into duty as a landbased bomber.

I was wondering what a squadron bombing at Chungking would do? Perhaps if used as a divebomber it would really eat up the supplies inherent in the Chinese corps there? Might be ugly those as they are fragile.

Funny. Looking at their durability the Myojo comes in at 30! The Tsurugi is much less durable at what, 22?

So the Myojo is actually more durable than the Judy. Go figure.

It's a hell of a lot faster than the bi-planes that come in those training groups and some other late arrivals at 292, so it might be better than i'd been thinking. I guess I dismissed it in relation to the speed of the Judy/Grace, but by the time I had the late game groups forgot that it was actually much better than what arrived in them and might be the best available in some upgrade paths.

DBs should suffer at Chungking because of the Chinese small AA guns, of which they have a lot. Although they have very few medium and heavy AA guns, they have a lot of 50 cal MG devices that will hit the DBs below 4k. I'd stay at 6k or above, but stye might do okay from there.

Ah, but once they're out of supply.... .

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3962
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/14/2015 10:45:25 AM   
obvert

quote:

Ok, speaking of Myojo, my first training pilots are reaching 60+ in LowN. To what should I train my potential Kamikazes before returning them to the pools?

All of these factors improve survivability. I had some kami pilots that were China veterans of 75-80exp and 70 defense with 70 low naval bombing skill. Flying a solid airframe like the Peggy(T) they get through pretty well.

The basic kami pilot for me would be 40-50exp trained only in low naval skill to 65-70. I had a lot though that were not the basic pilots and I don't know really how much that changed outcomes. I'd have to test it.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3963
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/14/2015 12:04:42 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Ah, but once they're out of supply.... .

Or even on the day of deliberate attacks to reduce supply even more. Might speed up the siege, which would make losing a few planes ok.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3964
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/14/2015 12:05:40 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

All of these factors improve survivability. I had some kami pilots that were China veterans of 75-80exp and 70 defense with 70 low naval bombing skill. Flying a solid airframe like the Peggy(T) they get through pretty well.

The basic kami pilot for me would be 40-50exp trained only in low naval skill to 65-70. I had a lot though that were not the basic pilots and I don't know really how much that changed outcomes. I'd have to test it.

Thanks, that is helpful. I was wondering what might happen end game with those guys.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3965
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/15/2015 5:29:49 PM   
Lowpe

Dec 2, 1943

No night bombing.

Guam invaded. Trinkat's runways get 4E love from Allies. Moulmein and Chiang Mai holding.

April 15th, bad, bad day IRL; too busy, sad, mad, and poor to write more.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3966
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/15/2015 8:22:03 PM   
DanSez

quote:

April 15th, bad, bad day IRL; too busy, sad, mad, and poor to write more.

May all those demons run away...
You will live to fight another day...
Troubles come in tide and flood...
Just keep the faith with those you've loved...

< Message edited by DanSez -- 4/15/2015 9:24:21 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3967
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 12:07:27 AM   
Lowpe

Bombarding Car Nicobar this day...

Musashi getting radar upgrade....

Myojo started production...

Frantically moving troops...

and oil, and fuel and supply.

I have burned thru all my midget subs to no effect, one scare. Much better track record with MTBs.

Looking at getting my Sentai's that upgrade to Nicks back to the HI...for upgrade in a month to Nick D night fighters.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 3968
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 11:53:12 AM   
Lowpe

Nov 3, 1943

In the bleak midnight hours, Bunji leads a big group into Cap Nicobar....

Unfortunately, LCTs' are like fall leaves, no matter how many you clean up there are always more come morning.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3969
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 12:25:51 PM   
mind_messing

It's even worse when your ships start to waste Long Lances on those low value ships. Even more so now that the Long Lance is the only qualitative edge you have over the Allied ships.

It is something I wished the code accounted for. If DL on the TF was high enough, they'd only use secondary weapons, or something to that effect.

Why waste the Long Lances when the hoards of 25mm cannons will do the job for a fraction of the rearm cost?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3970
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 12:59:24 PM   
ny59giants

Looking at that TF composition, I would have had a SC TF with 4 DDs lead the bombardment TF in as you had 9 DDs in it. They would have dealt with any merchants unloading.

Yes, the Allies have lots and lots of LSTs, but not that many come in India. So, he would have to ship them in to replace losses.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 3971
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 3:16:51 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Looking at that TF composition, I would have had a SC TF with 4 DDs lead the bombardment TF in as you had 9 DDs in it. They would have dealt with any merchants unloading.

Yes, the Allies have lots and lots of LSTs, but not that many come in India. So, he would have to ship them in to replace losses.

They are LCTs, don't even show up in the ships sunk screen.

I agree, it is a large TF, but I have been using it to evacuate troops from Trinkat, and since the Allies have DL on it, I am hoping they can't quite figure out what it is doing.

Plus, I have noticed that when I break down a fleet like that and try to run a surface bombardment they often stop short the first day.

Bombardment was very successful! I have managed to keep those two Allied bases below serious offensive air missions, which would be a bummer since Great Nicobar is 18 hexes from Singers, but as long as the damage stays up, it isn't getting past AF size 1.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3972
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 3:18:14 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

It's even worse when your ships start to waste Long Lances on those low value ships. Even more so now that the Long Lance is the only qualitative edge you have over the Allied ships.

It is something I wished the code accounted for. If DL on the TF was high enough, they'd only use secondary weapons, or something to that effect.

Why waste the Long Lances when the hoards of 25mm cannons will do the job for a fraction of the rearm cost?

No torpedoes launched. Who knows, it might be in the code...subs don't shoot torps after them, can't get a firing solution. Unfortunately, they don't attack on the surface either, but I never checked if the particular sub had a deck gun for it either.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/16/2015 4:19:29 PM >

Post #: 3973
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 3:20:36 PM   
Lowpe

Bombardment attacks at Guam, Moulmein, Chiang Mai.

Two Allied divisions at Chiang Mai now; Americal at Guam; Moulmein won't hold for long...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3974
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 7:23:37 PM   
Lowpe

Downfall game. Below is the result of a 400+ B29 raid during the daylight (rain). What CAP there was didn't exist after Jugs and Mustangs swept them aside, but for the most part they were inferior fighters. By this time Japan really needs to field only Frank r; the latest George or Jack, or better.

Shindens and Karyu did better over Nagasaki for example.

America suffers 14 losses to flak, and 4 to ops for a total cost of 18 B29s.

Almost all bombers target the manpower...

Boy is it ugly in 45.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/16/2015 8:24:16 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3975
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 8:04:22 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

The Shinden has excelled.

The Karyu has been disappointing so far. With it's big service rating, I don't think it's had any more than 60% operation since the start of the scenario. That would be fine if I'd 200 of them, but when you've only one depleted squadron of 50, less so.

This scenario is proving informative as to the air war. All the "good" Japanese planes in the late war that you mention (Frank "r" George, Jack) all have pretty high service ratings (bar one of the George models with SR 2, IIRC?), so you can't depend solely on them for CAP.

The take-home message from my end is to make sure you've enough trained pilots. If I had a good stock of pilots for both services, the air war in our Downfall game would be much more even-handed.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3976
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 8:17:01 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

The take-home message from my end is to make sure you've enough trained pilots. If I had a good stock of pilots for both services, the air war in our Downfall game would be much more even-handed.

You are quite correct and even more if you had better planes, however I am stunned at how fast the experience goes up in the mustang and jugs units. Overall, this is a terribly depressing scenario.

It really is quite informative playing this...for one thing, try not to let the allies have any base with 20 hexes of the HI for free. Even the worst atoll can hold recon float planes which help, and the lesser ones that can be built up to at least level two can host a 75 plane sweeping squadron and enough left over for defending the base.

Another thing, I think having a bunch of TRACOM eligible night bombers might be worrisome to the Allies.

Alhough you haven't done it, I think if you can sneak some surface raiders south from the Kuriles to threaten supply ships, that would divert some attention. It would force the Allies to dedicate a few CVEs to raider protection at the very least.

Another thing you realize as the Allies, is the huge amount of forces and ships you have. Mind boggling, but for most ships larger than a CL, damage pretty much takes them out of the war.

We are starting to get where it will be exciting...turn is back at you m-m.

Post #: 3977
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/16/2015 10:38:22 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

The Shinden has excelled.

The Karyu has been disappointing so far. With it's big service rating, I don't think it's had any more than 60% operation since the start of the scenario. That would be fine if I'd 200 of them, but when you've only one depleted squadron of 50, less so.

This scenario is proving informative as to the air war. All the "good" Japanese planes in the late war that you mention (Frank "r" George, Jack) all have pretty high service ratings (bar one of the George models with SR 2, IIRC?), so you can't depend solely on them for CAP.

I've been toying with downfall and when I put good leaders into the training groups they can churn out trained pilots pretty fast, in about 5-6 weeks for a fighter pilot that's really decent, 4 weeks for a marginal one. In this scenario it feel like you almost have to dedicate month one to defending only the most important bases while you train better pilots. Having Denkos and Randy Ic is a big bonus for the night war though. Those go to Tokyo and Osaka and let the other groups fill around them.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 3978
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/17/2015 1:49:05 AM   
Lowpe

Dec 4, 1943

No night bombing.

Allies sweep and bomb Yap with 4Es, George and Zeroes rise to the challenge getting 9 of the 4e beasties, 18 Lightnings, for about a dozen of our boys. But the base is closed.

Allies attack at Moulmein and Chiang Mai, both hold for now, but forts are knocked down. Won't hold for much longer.

At Ulithi, I have managed to sneak the Oyoda and 3 destroyers in without being spotted. Tanaka will lead the three destroyers into Guam tonight (TF#8) while the Oyoda will take a slightly different course and stop one hex short (TF#1). Both groups will attempt then to get back to Ulithi, both have LRCAP, and so does Ulithi. Lots of shipping at Guam, perhaps we can have some long lance goodness or I would settle for collisions.

From Saipan, three MTBs are heading south into Tinian where a fleet of 10 AP are spotted.

Other than that quiet, moving troops, preparing, digging in.

In three days the Irving Sa starts production. This will be my early nightfighter till Frances comes along (hopefully April). I will have a goodly supply of the Sa, it adds radar in 6/44, but also adds another 20mm cannon which I hope means the plane doesn't run out of ammo so quickly.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/17/2015 2:54:01 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3979
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/17/2015 11:54:58 AM   
Lowpe

Dec 5, 1943

MTBs strike at Tinian, but are rebuffed by a small CA task force, got to within 3K yards, but needed to be closer to launch torpedoes.

Here, the Oyoda strikes at American picket ships protecting the landings at Guam...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/17/2015 12:55:43 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3980
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/17/2015 12:01:15 PM   
Lowpe

Tanaka races in for some Long Lance goodness...not to be.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3981
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/17/2015 12:03:23 PM   
Lowpe

I like to bring different assets to the fight, and here is an RO sub blitzing into Guam.

Alabama got lucky, or is good, today.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/17/2015 1:04:03 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3982
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/17/2015 12:13:01 PM   
Lowpe

Oscar IVs simply can't bring down 4E beasties....I ended up getting 5 (4 in A2A, 1 Ops).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/17/2015 1:20:16 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3983
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/17/2015 12:23:03 PM   
Lowpe

Moulmein falls to a shock attack...not unexpected. However, Chiang Mai holds again, this time against 2 divisions and 1 tank regiment. The more troops he sends into Chiang Mai, the happier I am.

I am thinking about retreating most troops back to Uttaradit from the position 1 hex to the north...this would enable a faster retreat back to Bangkok or Udon or is Ubon?

Tavoy will fall this month, unless he decide to try and go straight to Bangkok, Raheng...but I will be happy if I can still be shipping oil from the SRA in January, 1944...

The line in yellow is simply not defendable...so it will be the Vinh line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/17/2015 1:32:47 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3984
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/17/2015 12:38:06 PM   
ny59giants

Once the Allies break through those tri-bases, its just a race down to Bangkok. The question for you is if you can afford to leave troops behind at Bangkok as it will be surrounded and cut off from any land based retreat??

Before my game ended in August 44, I had broken into the clear terrain in Thailand and was given Bangkok, heading down to Saigon, and closing in on Cam Rahn Bay. Your opponent may try to do this and then take part of the Philippines archipelago to effectively cut off almost all your oil. You know those B-25 attack bombers have the range to cut the South China Sea in half. This may happen in the next 6 months.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 4/17/2015 1:39:55 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3985
RE: Invasion Marianas - 4/17/2015 3:40:45 PM   
DanSez

quote:

Jeesh, it was funny but you don't have to keep repeating the picture. If you saw what they ask for this model!

short diversion note:
Not for sure if you are interested in plastic models but HobbyLink Japan has a sale which includes a 1/72 scale Nate for under $11.
http://hlj.com/product/HSG02038/Air

They also offered a Claude for something like $9.00 but those sold out after I bought one.
now, back to the war:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3986
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/18/2015 1:09:40 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Once the Allies break through those tri-bases, its just a race down to Bangkok. The question for you is if you can afford to leave troops behind at Bangkok as it will be surrounded and cut off from any land based retreat??

Before my game ended in August 44, I had broken into the clear terrain in Thailand and was given Bangkok, heading down to Saigon, and closing in on Cam Rahn Bay. Your opponent may try to do this and then take part of the Philippines archipelago to effectively cut off almost all your oil. You know those B-25 attack bombers have the range to cut the South China Sea in half. This may happen in the next 6 months.

If it takes him 6 months to do it -- I will be very happy.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3987
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/18/2015 12:38:07 PM   
Lowpe

Dec 6th, 1943

No night bombing.

Some failed sub attacks on both sides...

Chiang Mai holds, and now there are even more Allied troops marching there.

Other than that fairly quiet, normal bombing etc.

Above Saigon and Camh Ran Bay the Allies have suspiciously high DL? I am so paranoid of those 100AV paratroops or even less, I will send 30 or so AV to these bases to hold them. Can't figure out why else he would DL those two bases, it is not like he is systematically looking at every base in the area.

In the good news front the Toko rocket advances another month; Irving Sa starts production, and this was the primary nightfighter Obvert used against Joc, and I will have plenty of them stockpiled, but really I am hoping to have the Frances as my primary NF for when the B29s show up.

A while back I upped my production of Jacks to 40 a month; and the next model will come on stream about the time of the B29, so I will upgrade to that and use the Jacks as anti B29 fighter force, along with whatever fighter bombers I have after their conversion to night fighters. This model sports 4 cannons...perfect for B29 fighting - normally available 4/44 I will have no research into it, just one factory cranking out 40 a month. Gotta watch that supply.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/18/2015 1:40:51 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3988
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/18/2015 5:35:13 PM   
Lowpe

I don't think a lot of Allied players realize how weak Japan is if the Allies get ahead of schedule...I am in the midst of getting a fair amount of land reinforcements, but it is nowhere close enough for all the islands I have to get something on. Not to mention Indochina.

Allies have 10K AV in Indochina versus my 3K. Maybe I have 4AV.

I have close to 600 AV in two of three of the Bonins, one ID at Port Moresby, Ponape, Kusaie and Truk, which are all being evacuated back to the Mindanao and Luzon.

There is another ID at Guam and Saipan.

That is is. A few regiments and brigades scattered around....but if the Allies wished to they could do some long range recon and grab islands on the very cheap right now, boy would it be ugly for Japan.

The Allies have two Marine divisions, 2 Army divisions and plenty of tanks and artillery to the Marianas. I have yet to see any Australians since they got trashed in 42...plus lots of brigades and regiments.

I guess what slows down the Allies is the perception you need to get 100% prepped for invasions...not needed if the opposition is very weak imho. Speed and daring can really win the day.

On the otherhand, Japan can usually react fairly quickly to changing situations, so the opportunity window is pretty narrow.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3989
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/18/2015 5:49:19 PM   
Mike Solli

Lowpe, I agree with you. In my opinion, that's all the more reason to try and keep the IJN as intact as possible. That threat is always out there and helps keep the Allied player cautious. I would be, if I were playing the Allied side. As the Allied player closes in on Japan, the Japanese lines of communication contract, allowing for a quicker Japanese response. Get a few Japanese capital ships among a large invasion fleet and that could set the Allies back months. Yeah, the Allied combat fleet becomes overwhelming in 44+, but if you take out enough APAs, the Allied player can have problems taking all that territory they need to take.

I still believe that KB should try to hit Allied carriers early in the war (if the Allied player decides to come out and play), but later in the war hitting that massive carrier force is meaningless. Even trading carriers does nothing to slow the Allied player down. Later in the war, KB should focus on invasion fleets. If they can hit an invasion fleet while outside of the Allied carrier range, they can slow the Allies much better than going head to head with the Allied carriers.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3990
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI