Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! Page: <<   < prev  136 137 [138] 139 140   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 12:13:58 AM   
Lowpe

Dec 21, 1943

Night bombing! Two groups of Betties from one squadron hit Port Blair. No flak. No Night fighters. Milk run, and they nail several planes on the ground. Very good!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4111
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 12:16:38 AM   
Lowpe

Very quiet day from the Allied planes, however I mistakenly send a lot of Dinahs over heavily CAPed bases and lose 6 for the day. 9 Japanese planes lost overall for the day...

IJN CL/DD squadron takes up position in Trinkat, under a healthy Oscar CAP, after hitting a British sub on their way in.

It doesn't take long for the enemy bombers to show up, and as planned by High Command the bombers are single engine carrier planes....perfect grist for the Oscar mill!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4112
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 12:20:31 AM   
Lowpe

Oscars down 22 for the day, and not a bomber gets thru. But, then, we forgot about the deadly assault bombers, and they are flying low, and better armored and armed than the divebombers. Uh, oh!

Oscars dive to the challenge and manage to destroy 6, damage 14 more forcing them to jettison their ordinance and missing the light squadron at Trinkat.

Now, the squadron is free to attack the PT boats at either Cap Nicobar, or Port Blair. Happy hunting boys!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/28/2015 1:21:16 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4113
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 12:27:01 AM   
Lowpe

Allies lose 40 planes on the day...to 9 for Japan! Banner day.

On the ground, the Japanese heavy artillery facing off against the Allied juggernaut does wonders destroying more than a dozen guns and some afvs for no damage to the IJA west of Raheng, and north of Bangkok.

An Allied attack at Tavoy nets a 1-2, but does drop the forts one level.

An Allied shock attack into the defenders of Chiang Mai results in over 100 casualties to the Allies and only one disrupted squad for Japan. The Commonwealth Regiment was harshly treated by a IJAAF Eng unit! Hopefully they will crawl out of the JR terrain and into the jungle on the morrow making good their escape.

Japan avoids all Allied submarines.

Now, the tricky part, how to figure out how to hurt the Allies today!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4114
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 12:28:47 AM   
Lowpe

I have the feeling the Deathstar is about to show up again.

Possible targets are Yap, Guam, Home Islands, Leyte, Samar, etc.

Let us hope the Allies are quiet for the rest of the year as they celebrate the holidays!

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/28/2015 1:30:48 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4115
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 1:16:26 AM   
mind_messing

Damned forum ate my reply.

Short summary:

- Ishigaki has the General Defence Army command too, I think.
- I wouldn't bother about defending the clear island hexes off Japan, anything more than a token garrison would be a waste.
- The Shanghai and surrounding region is important to the defence East China Sea. I'd consider building up Soochow to help defend it. Soochow is a bit better than Shanghai in that it is safe from battleship bombardment, and any ships running past Shanghai need to run past the mines and CD guns (assuming you have something better than the 8cm popguns the Shanghai Base force has). In our Downfall game, Shanghai was where most of my anti-Fletcher strikes flew from.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 4/28/2015 2:19:45 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4116
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 12:23:40 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

- I wouldn't bother about defending the clear island hexes off Japan, anything more than a token garrison would be a waste.

That is really hard to take, as there are quite a few good clear terrain bases very close. I definitely think leaving empty bases just accelerates Japan's end as in Wargamer/NJP excellent game.

I think the atolls just naturally take multiple small AV units (small in number of men too), as they are wasted almost everywhere else, but can help stall an Atoll invasion as proved the case during the Wake attack in this game.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/28/2015 1:44:05 PM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 4117
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 12:28:58 PM   
Lowpe

Very nice tip about Soochow....haven't built it up at all. Haven't thought about it at all, to be honest.

Ishigaki is Southern Army as is the surrounding islands.

Edit: Pondering Soochow, leads me to think I should build some of the other bases nearby up as well, at least to level 2-4. Having multiple dangerous airbases to fall back on is always good and is very helpful in Indochina at the moment.

I need to look at the rail situation too, since the KI202 will rely upon them if I last that long. I have the HI build up pretty nicely to accommodate the 202. Will look at Korea too.

I have also been building forts on the HI, as it looks to me one day somebody might come calling.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/28/2015 1:41:17 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4118
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 4:04:54 PM   
Lowpe

In my ongoing efforts to pester the Allies, this turn we will be sweeping Akyab, Chiang Mai, and our troops in Indochina, along with daytime bombing run of Akyab and the 90 transports sitting there.

Massing destroyers to defend the Leyte, Samar, and Luzon. Lots of little bases to hide in, I will make some destroyer bases there...

Everyday a Ki202 factory repairs...pretty sweet; but I need to get them to start researching!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4119
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 5:18:28 PM   
DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

In my ongoing efforts to pester the Allies, this turn we will be sweeping Akyab, Chiang Mai, and our troops in Indochina, along with daytime bombing run of Akyab and the 90 transports sitting there.

Massing destroyers to defend the Leyte, Samar, and Luzon. Lots of little bases to hide in, I will make some destroyer bases there...

Everyday a Ki202 factory repairs...pretty sweet; but I need to get them to start researching!

Don't all repaired factories give a random pct chance of research?
Example of 5 factories:
Repaired(repairing)
10(20)
8(22)
14(16)
11(19)
17(13)

That is 60 repaired factories.

Certainly that isn't as good a 2x(30)[roughly 2 pts per day] fully repaired factories, but don't you get some research points out of that configuration and by the random dice gods, get at least 1 point of research per day?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4120
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 5:22:10 PM   
Lowpe

Pondering my defence in Indochina...just not happy, but I have to expose my troops to a fair amount of risk to buy time. Don't try this at home kids!

I am definitely going to try and hold out longer in the x3 terrain to the west now...one thing I got going for me is the Allies have split their forces into 1/3...road to Raheng, road to Bangkok, Tavoy. If he would have left a large 6K AV force he would be shredding me (if he could keep it supplied).

Things are really getting quite scary there, but I suspect the American Navy will bring the hammer that really hurts to the PI soon. Dare he bypass Yap, etc and go straight for the PI? Ergh! Simply not strong enough and never will be.

I have accelerated some ships -- LSTs and should get them in two weeks. Nice little guys will help with the Island defence of Japan.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4121
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 5:24:51 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Certainly that isn't as good a 2x(30)[roughly 2 pts per day] fully repaired factories, but don't you get some research points out of that configuration and by the random dice gods, get at least 1 point of research per day?

Takes a fully repaired factory to accumulate research. No advantage for going over size 30, which makes the size 150 r&d factories I inherited particularly painful.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 4122
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/28/2015 10:17:05 PM   
Lowpe

Allied plane losses thru Dec of 1943...the top losses.

How does that look?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/28/2015 11:31:48 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4123
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 3:37:39 AM   
Lowpe

Dec 22, 1943

No night bombing.

I use a Sentai's of Oscars and one of George and one of Tojo IIcs on sweeps in Indochina/Burma. Nobody home for the George over Akyab, and the Oscars & IIcs nail 7 Hurricanes and 2 P38H for the loss on one plane.

Normally I wouldn't sweep with Oscars, but I picked LRCAP or Bleeding CAP areas and the Oscars overwhelmed the defenders.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/29/2015 4:46:12 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4124
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 3:39:38 AM   
Lowpe

The Georges' went first and nobody was home, over an airfield with 87 transports. The underwhelming flak doesn't save the day for the Allies, and over 11 transports are destroyed on the ground for no loss.

Pretty good! It is little raids like this that make my day!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4125
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 3:43:49 AM   
Lowpe

Chungking...bombed and bombarded again. The artillery destroys 11 combat squads and disable 20 more, best day ever. Attack tomorrow.

Tavoy is knocked down to forts 1, and will fall shortly. Bombardments on the dirt road to Raheng or Bangkok favor the Japanese again. But with Tavoy falling, it is definitely getting perilous. I will probably start pulling back into Uttaradit.

The CL/DD squadron encounters 10 or so PT boats at Car Nicobar, and 35% moonlight, and storms makes for a risky encounter where no ships were hit, just lots of ammo expended.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4126
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 5:30:54 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Allied plane losses thru Dec of 1943...the top losses.

How does that look?

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not even 3 months of Hellcat production . It's about what I'd expect to see, although his F4F losses are extremely high - perhaps because of the position you inherited in this game.

He's probably out of B-24D1's with those loss numbers. And his P-38H's have to be suffering as well. Those numbers are extremely high.

Have you looked to compare his losses to his total available airframes of a given type at any given point in the war? It looks like he has plenty of USN fighters and probably still plenty of P-40s, as well as P-47s. And plenty of SBD-5's and Helldivers, and TBFs. But some of his types have high losses, as I just said... sorry for repeating .

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4127
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 5:50:06 PM   
Lowpe

The highlight bar on the Hellcat just happened to be there...really, I didn't even expect to have nailed that many.

Just curious, I have checked other AARs and can't find any that have Allied losses in general as heavy as this one, especially the British seem to have taken a beating.

I have checked Jocke's AAR, unfortunately he didn't really post a great game ending wrap up like Obvert did. Sorry Joc, Obvert won that battle.

The F4F losses are all me, they didn't make the list of top 20 plane losses when I took over although the P40E did with 400 gone.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4128
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 5:52:52 PM   
Lowpe

Turn is away, and I misjudged one Inf Divisions arrival in Chungking by one day, so the next attack is tomorrow.

Bombarding Great Nicobar with a CL/DD force, looking to use my RO subs to plant mines at Marcus Island, moving troops etc., etc.

No real traps set up this turn, resting some fighter and bomber squadrons.

Allies have been quiet in the air...lately.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4129
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 7:17:13 PM   
Lowpe

In pursuing the idea of relative Allied plane losses, I hunted thru Joc's AAR to find something close...

I highlighted the Allied losses.

My game I have downed 65 P40N5; 43 B25C; 0 Corsair II; 30 P51A; 12 F4U-1a; 135 P47D2; 632 Skytrains.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/29/2015 8:28:40 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4130
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 7:22:52 PM   
JocMeister

Yummy. P47s...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4131
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 7:33:06 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Yummy. P47s...

Here, does this bring back fond memories? Early 44.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/29/2015 8:34:06 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 4132
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 7:50:25 PM   
Lowpe

I managed to find one screenshot where Joc had lost a total of 56 P38H in mid Dec...very close to my date.

I am at over 200, so Allies have suffered a fair amount of losses, but not to really critical planes like the P47 (which in truth I try to avoid).

This comparison to Obvert vs Jocke, just goes to show me how much more bloody the air war is going to get!!!! I need to plan accordingly.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4133
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 11:33:17 PM   
Lowpe

Dec 23, 1943

No night bombing. I think I will try again.

The days starts of with the most pleasant of surprises, in fact, I thought the Iboat would miss, and I missed the chance to capture the torpedo striking home. Best of all, sinking sounds were immediately heard.

The plucky Iboat tried again, on the lone surviving Destroyer but missed, and now the Destroyer is out of ammo. What joy!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4134
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 11:37:11 PM   
Lowpe

The Allies are really resting their bombers in Indochina, this is what, the third or fourth day of no heavy bombing there. Something is afoot!

But, the IJNAF never rests, and for this day we pick Prome, which has souped up P40s flying cap. The Georges lay into them!

I have to do a lot of this, to make up for the upcoming days where I will lose 1,000 planes and the Allies a dozen.

Akyab now has 60 Fighters stationed there protecting the transports, but 3 more Skytrains are written off as ops losses. Skytrain op losses are staggering high, just like in every game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4135
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/29/2015 11:46:14 PM   
Lowpe

Indochina, the current Main Event, but Luzon/Leyte/Samar/Iwo/Daito probably really are but since they are quiet, lots go to the action!

The Chiang Mai defenders are amazingly going to make it one more hex closer to Raheng, while all the infantry including the heroic, but battered, 33rd Divison (43AV left). Two Tank Regiments, who have lost all their tanks and now have a few support vehicles will get away from the British today..while some brave Air Force security squads will try to hold the British off for one more day when they will all exit.

With no massive air bombardment, well none at all, the Allies attack in the jungle rough terrain (or is jungle ridge can never remember). North of Bangkok, on the dirt road the IJA 2 Imperial Guards Division shuffles into position just in time, allowing the shaken 14th to assume a reserve position and during the Allied attack kill and disable twice the number Japan loses and we are still in good shape for the morrow, in fact the 14th rallies another 40 AV from the days respite.

At Tavoy, two Naval Guards (one SNLF), some artillery, engineers, and a base force throw off the efforts of Gardner's Horse and a Commonwealth division. I think I shall fly in some reinforcements to stymie him here longer.

The 1st Tank, the 1st RTA, the heavy 4th Div are all between the fighting and Bangkok. More troops trickling into the front, and also more trickling back from the front.

Dynamic times.

All I can say is thank the lord for JR x3 terrain! If I can keep the supplies flowing forward, rotating units, I have a chance to hold for another 2 weeks. Getting those 14 units from Chiang Mai back will be a real help in January.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/30/2015 12:51:20 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4136
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/30/2015 2:24:15 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

The highlight bar on the Hellcat just happened to be there...really, I didn't even expect to have nailed that many.

Just curious, I have checked other AARs and can't find any that have Allied losses in general as heavy as this one, especially the British seem to have taken a beating.

I have checked Jocke's AAR, unfortunately he didn't really post a great game ending wrap up like Obvert did. Sorry Joc, Obvert won that battle.

The F4F losses are all me, they didn't make the list of top 20 plane losses when I took over although the P40E did with 400 gone.

Ah.

Well, when you picked up the game... he was fighting you pretty hard for Java with his CVs, right? With F4Fs...

In any case, can you show us the total air loss screen in Tracker? I'm curious to compare. My two Allied games are at 11/7/43 and 12/30/43 right now, so pretty similar. The pace of my losses between the two games has been like night and day - oddly, the Scen 1 has been higher pace while the Scen 2 has been much, much slower/lower. Bassackwards, right?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4137
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/30/2015 12:29:39 PM   
Lowpe

Total losses = pretty ugly!

I see that in Admiral Spruance's game in 1945 plane losses are fairly high, but within the parameters set by Joc vs Obvert.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4138
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/30/2015 2:35:15 PM   
Lowpe

I was perusing my small AV Infantry groups, and came across the INA units which I mentioned in several posts when they started trickling in. They cost an amazing amount to purchase back if destroyed, so I put them as garrisons in Indochina and well, really forgot about them.

Now, I was thinking of airlifting one to Tavoy, but lo and behold all of them have morale in the 30's. I put them all on rest and will check back in on them again in a month.

I will send another Naval Guard, would like to fly in some Mtn Guns as well...maybe.

Coming to the end of 1943, and perhaps one of the most important things to check are sub upgrades for 1944! If you aren't careful, you could end up having a fleet of SSTs which are pretty much worthless. Sub upgrades turn universally off....to be dealt with by class later on.

I highlighted that part, because it is important to remember.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4139
RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! - 4/30/2015 2:44:56 PM   
koniu

quote:

Total losses = pretty ugly!

I see that in Admiral Spruance's game in 1945 plane losses are fairly high, but within the parameters set by Joc vs Obvert.

I look at my game with Docup. We achieve similar loses (+- few hundred) in July 44
So You game is much much bloodier in air.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4140
Page:   <<   < prev  136 137 [138] 139 140   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Midget sub penetrates harbor! Page: <<   < prev  136 137 [138] 139 140   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI