Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air refueling vs RTB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Air refueling vs RTB Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air refueling vs RTB - 2/22/2014 6:44:02 PM   
mikeCK

I have two KA-6bs in the air to support an air superiority operation. I have two questions:

1. Why do my fighters turn to go home when they have expended their medium range missiles but still have sidewinders? I can't get them to engage fighters with sidewinders as they are all in the way to refuel (about 65% fuel left)

Which brings up my next question

2. Since these fighters are low on ammo, I would just assume they return to the carrier (they have 65% fuel so there is plenty to get back ) but when I hit "RTB", they acknowledge but then automatically revert to "Heading to refuel point (maneuvering to refuel). While I put the tanker there for a reason, I would rather save its fuel for the EA-6Bs in the area as well as the few fighters remaining on station to protect them. I don't want 10 F-14s waiting in line to suck gas out of a tanker when they can just go home. How do I force them to not use the tanker?
Post #: 1
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 2/22/2014 6:48:31 PM   
mikeCK

Ok, found the answer for #2 in case others had the same question. If you click on the fighter that wants to refuel and drop down to "Doctrine and ROE"...click on it. The 7th option down is "Use refuel". If you change it to "no" and then click RTB, they will ignore the tanker and head home.
Sorry for wasting space here! Love discovering things although I'm still curious why my fighters hate engaging with sidewinders???

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 2
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 2/22/2014 6:51:44 PM   
harpoon731

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikeCK

I have two KA-6bs in the air to support an air superiority operation. I have two questions:

1. Why do my fighters turn to go home when they have expended their medium range missiles but still have sidewinders? I can't get them to engage fighters with sidewinders as they are all in the way to refuel (about 65% fuel left)

Under Side Doctrine select RTB when Winchester make sure to select NO (I think) This maybe a different option but also check out maintain standoff?
Which brings up my next question

2. Since these fighters are low on ammo, I would just assume they return to the carrier (they have 65% fuel so there is plenty to get back ) but when I hit "RTB", they acknowledge but then automatically revert to "Heading to refuel point (maneuvering to refuel). While I put the tanker there for a reason, I would rather save its fuel for the EA-6Bs in the area as well as the few fighters remaining on station to protect them. I don't want 10 F-14s waiting in line to suck gas out of a tanker when they can just go home. How do I force them to not use the tanker?

under the same menu select UNREP/Reful to NO

< Message edited by harpoon731 -- 2/22/2014 7:53:29 PM >

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 3
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 2/22/2014 6:55:46 PM   
Dimitris

1. On air superiority missions & loadouts, the priority is to shoot with long-range weapons and then disengage ASAP. Air superiority is usually a battle of attrition, and you want to preserve your fighters more than to go all fangs-out in a furball. If the mission was intercept, it is likely the AI would press on even when down to guns (because in this case there is likely something high-value at stake, something worth sacrificing your fighters for).

That said, you can force your fighters to press on even when down to harsh language, by setting the "RTB when Winchester" doctrine setting to NO.

2. As you noted, you control this via doctrine-ROE. The real beauty of this system is when you apply these settings on groups or missions, and afterwards all units being transferred in and out of a group or mission automatically inherit those settings. So e.g. specifying that an outgoing massive strike will use your orbiting tankers but the standing CAP will not, takes far fewer clicks than otherwise necessary.

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 2/22/2014 7:57:49 PM >

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 4
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 2/22/2014 7:42:51 PM   
mikeCK

Thank you! Didn't realize difference between air superiority and intercept. I also should have realized I could set RTB Winchester to no along with fuel.

Thanks guys!

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 5
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 2/22/2014 7:51:15 PM   
harpoon731

meant to say Group Doctrine, not side doctrine! The people here are pretty awesome :)

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 6
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 4/6/2014 7:37:32 AM   
LuckyJim1010

Just found this post and want to say big thank you.
Stand Up scenario: One of my Tiffies, having used most of the AAM, kept heading to the tanker instead of back to MPA.

(in reply to harpoon731)
Post #: 7
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 4/6/2014 10:30:13 AM   
Rongor

I would like to see a "RTB when Bingo" option in the Doctrine and ROE that I can set to no. Right now my Bingoing flights cancel their orders, leaving me unable to do anything about it. This is very annoying when having them short prior some urgent interceptions.
I will have tankers in position to have them refuel on their way back, but my pilots just don't care and turn home at Bingo. Is there anything to do about it? It would be so nice to have that option.

(in reply to LuckyJim1010)
Post #: 8
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 7/31/2014 2:29:18 AM   
TheOriginalOverlord

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rongor

I would like to see a "RTB when Bingo" option in the Doctrine and ROE that I can set to no. Right now my Bingoing flights cancel their orders, leaving me unable to do anything about it. This is very annoying when having them short prior some urgent interceptions.
I will have tankers in position to have them refuel on their way back, but my pilots just don't care and turn home at Bingo. Is there anything to do about it? It would be so nice to have that option.

Just a bump on this request...

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 9
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 7/22/2015 6:28:43 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

Just a bump :)

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to TheOriginalOverlord)
Post #: 10
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 7/22/2015 9:57:42 PM   
Excroat3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overlord

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rongor

Just a bump on this request...

Well, if this was implemented, you would have to have something telling you that the plane was going to go bingo if you did not RTB it. Unless you add something in where the plane will RTB, but if you uncheck "RTB when Bingo", the previous orders are restored

(in reply to TheOriginalOverlord)
Post #: 11
RE: Air refueling vs RTB - 7/25/2015 2:05:23 PM   
Rongor

Not really, if you set that single aircraft to not RTB when Bingo, that unit will fall out of the sky when fuel is empty, unless you take care for this not to happen.

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Air refueling vs RTB Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI