Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/22/2015 8:00:58 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Were all French BB's and CV (if not interned by the US) in France? If not, than there was a modifier to the die roll, which makes the creation of Free France more difficult.
The majority of the French fleet was at sea. But those ships that weren't were based in a metropolitan French port. Do French ships at sea change things?

Interestingly, a number of French ships on patrol in the North Sea had to scuttled because there was no port for them to return to after France fell.

Ronnie

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 481
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/22/2015 8:56:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

Do French ships at sea change things?

Yes. If they are at sea it makes a huge difference.

Cut from RAC:
17.2 Determine control
Roll a die for each of the other administration groups to determine who controls it. A group becomes
controlled by the (Free) French player if the roll is within the range shown on this chart. Otherwise, it remains
controlled by Vichy France.
Free-French Chart
Administration group Die
Morocco, Algeria & Tunisia 10
French West Africa 9-10
Syria 9-10
Indo-China 9-10
Madagascar 8-10
All Asian minors & territories 7-10
French Equatorial Africa 3-10
All Pacific Ocean minors & territories 2-10
All other territories & minors 9-10
Subtract 2 from each die roll if any on-map French CVs or BBs are not currently in a Metropolitan French
port.

< Message edited by Orm -- 3/22/2015 9:57:15 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 482
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/22/2015 10:57:36 PM   
paulderynck

When Germans are in Paris it is time to return all French ships to port in the Allied RTB step since that comes before declaration of Vichy. Sure it may not get declared, but you shouldn't take the chance. As France I return every ship I can except those which would have no choice but to return to New Caledonia (usually for me these are just some CPs).

And the ports they return to ideally are ones in Admin Groups more likely to go FF - like Equatorial Africa. Except the BBs of course, they ALL need to be sunk, damaged, or in a port in the French home country.

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 483
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/23/2015 1:19:59 AM   
rkr1958

The more I play this game, the more I learn it. Thanks, I didn't know that.

Ronnie

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 484
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/23/2015 1:36:20 AM   
rkr1958

Shifting gears (i.e., changing subjects). Here's the situation.

1. Romania allowed USSR's claim to Bessarabia.

2. Germany allowed Hungary's claim to Transylvania and Bulgaria's claim to South Dobruja.

3. Italy, with Germany's help, just conquered Greece.

Now are the following correct?

4. Germany once it declares war on the USSR can align Romania.

5. And, once Germany align's Romania, it can then align Yugoslavia assuming the Italians still hold onto Athens and Albania.

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 485
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/23/2015 6:00:36 AM   
paulderynck

An Axis major power that controls Athens can declare that Yugoslavia is aligning with it during any Axis declaration of war step if:
- Yugoslavia is neutral; and
- Italy, Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria, Greece and Albania are all Axis controlled.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 486
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/23/2015 12:15:36 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

When Germans are in Paris it is time to return all French ships to port in the Allied RTB step since that comes before declaration of Vichy. Sure it may not get declared, but you shouldn't take the chance. As France I return every ship I can except those which would have no choice but to return to New Caledonia (usually for me these are just some CPs).

And the ports they return to ideally are ones in Admin Groups more likely to go FF - like Equatorial Africa. Except the BBs of course, they ALL need to be sunk, damaged, or in a port in the French home country.

You don't need to do that, only BBs and CVs are affected. You can take away safely to French Minors all the cruisers and transport.

Or you could take the risk, after all the normal is that some Minor "survives" and then you have the juicy BBs, the CV most probably was interned before...

Also, remember that ships can be rebased up to double the range in this case (Vichyfication).

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 3/23/2015 1:20:32 PM >

Post #: 487
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/23/2015 3:16:57 PM   
paulderynck

And let the Axis return them to where they are most beneficial to the Axis if the distances are equal? Sure.

"The Axis major power installing the Vichy Government now moves every French controlled unit at sea (even those face-down) to the nearest Vichy or Free French hex (port for naval units and their cargoes) within range in which they may stack."

Paul

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 488
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/23/2015 11:17:06 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

An Axis major power that controls Athens can declare that Yugoslavia is aligning with it during any Axis declaration of war step if:
- Italy, Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria, Greece and Albania are all Axis controlled.

Paul, Thanks! How is control defined? What if both Italy and Germany have a unit in Athens? Can either then align Yugoslavia assuming the remaining conditions are also met?

Ronnie

Post #: 489
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/23/2015 11:37:17 PM   
paulderynck

Whoever advanced in with the most factors gets control. If equal - I'd have to look it up - something about defining who has greater influence in the country. But anyway MWiF already will know if you hide units and show control flags you should see who controls Athens.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/24/2015 12:37:47 AM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 490
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 12:40:20 AM   
rkr1958

Apparently the program has decided yet between the Germans and Italians as to who controls Athens, which fell last impulse. I guess I'll have to wait until the end of the turn to find who is given control of the city?

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

Post #: 491
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 4:12:58 AM   
paulderynck

The glossary says: "Controlled [a minor country or territory that is either aligned with your major power or conquered by it]"

Anyway if Athens fell recently in this same turn, then Greece is not conquered and hence not controlled until the end of turn sequence Conquest step, and Yugoslavia can't be aligned until the next turn.

Maybe MWiF doesn't show hex control changes for capitals until the conquest step.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/24/2015 5:15:35 AM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 492
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 7:58:05 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

And let the Axis return them to where they are most beneficial to the Axis if the distances are equal? Sure.

"The Axis major power installing the Vichy Government now moves every French controlled unit at sea (even those face-down) to the nearest Vichy or Free French hex (port for naval units and their cargoes) within range in which they may stack."

Really?

We always did it like it was the Allied player who returned them. Now that you mention it, maybe once I had it right and that's why a french cruiser was stuck in a Pacific Island OOS for all the war (I seemed never to remember or have moves to restore supply).

Ok, to Morocco or Senegal, in Morocco you'd have a 70% to keep them and in Senegal 60%. You could even divive them Senegal/Morocco/Palestina, to have a better chance to get a good result.

Post #: 493
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 8:05:29 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

quote:

Paul, Thanks! How is control defined? What if both Italy and Germany have a unit in Athens? Can either then align Yugoslavia assuming the remaining conditions are also met?

You can only do with the power that controls Athens:

quote:

Yugoslavia
ï Yugoslavia is neutral; and
ï Italy, Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria, Greece and Albania are all Axis controlled.

To control Athens if there are GE and IT units (if it is being conquered, if you just conntrol Athens but it has not surrendered yet, it may differ):

quote:

To conquer any other home country, you must control its capital plus every printed factory hex in that home country. You do not need to control a hex that only contains factories that were moved, or built, there.
If more than one major power from the same side controls the capital and printed factories in a home country, the major power with the greatest influence in that home country is the conqueror. Use this priority to determine who has the greatest influence:
1. Whoever controls most factories in the home country (with the capital counting as an additional 3 factories for this calculation).
2. Whoever has the highest garrison value (see 13.1) in the home country.
3. Whoever occupied the home country’s last factory or capital city.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 494
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 8:14:55 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

The glossary says: "Controlled [a minor country or territory that is either aligned with your major power or conquered by it]"

Anyway if Athens fell recently in this same turn, then Greece is not conquered and hence not controlled until the end of turn sequence Conquest step, and Yugoslavia can't be aligned until the next turn.

Maybe MWiF doesn't show hex control changes for capitals until the conquest step.

IMO, Athens hex is controlled by some ot another Power regardless on whether Greece has surrendered or not, just like any other hex. Obviously it's not so urgent to algin YU as soon as Athens falls but it could be (for example if you think it can be reconquered right away by the nearby Brits.).

I think no doubt Harry meant after it has surrendered but he didn't write it like that, so maybe that could be in the Clarifications...

Post #: 495
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 8:22:41 AM   
Orm

quote:

Apparently the program has decided yet between the Germans and Italians as to who controls Athens, which fell last impulse. I guess I'll have to wait until the end of the turn to find who is given control of the city?

If you keep the control flags showing and remove the counters from showing then you will see if Italy or Germany control the Athens hex. The nation that controls the Athens hex will conquer Greece and will be the nation that is able to align Yugoslavia.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 496
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 8:27:25 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

quote:

IMO, Athens hex is controlled by some ot another Power regardless on whether Greece has surrendered or not, just like any other hex. Obviously it's not so urgent to algin YU as soon as Athens falls but it could be (for example if you think it can be reconquered right away by the nearby Brits.).

I think no doubt Harry meant after it has surrendered but he didn't write it like that, so maybe that could be in the Clarifications...

You can not align Greece until Greece is conquered because you forgot that controlling Athens is not the only requirement in order to align Yugoslavia. Greece must be controlled as well.

quote:

< Message edited by Orm -- 3/24/2015 9:27:36 AM >

Post #: 497
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 8:34:02 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

If you keep the control flags showing and remove the counters from showing then you will see if Italy or Germany control the Athens hex. The nation that controls the Athens hex will conquer Greece and will be the nation that is able to align Yugoslavia.

I think the screen shot is with the units hidden and from his game. If so, it's hard to figure why there's no control flag in the Athens hex???

Maybe it's underneath the port symbol. Yes that must be the case - look at Salonica.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/24/2015 9:36:14 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 498
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 9:17:12 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think the screen shot is with the units hidden and from his game. If so, it's hard to figure why there's no control flag in the Athens hex???

Maybe it's underneath the port symbol. Yes that must be the case - look at Salonica.

You are indeed right.

I once made a check to see what hexes the control flag was completely hidden and Athens was not among them hence I was fooled. Now I compared with another game and enough of the control flag is shown there to see which country controls the hex. It is the "major port damaged" symbol that is the culprit here.

Anyway. This information should be shown in text form anyway. See picture.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 499
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/24/2015 9:52:10 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

You can not align Greece until Greece is conquered because you forgot that controlling Athens is not the only requirement in order to align Yugoslavia. Greece must be controlled as well.

quote:

Yes, you are right. I forgot that part because I went to the rules exactly to check before posting only the part of "who can align Yugoslavia" and it said "that who controls" Athens can. There I stop reading. It was a new idea for me, cause we always waited till Greece surrendered, but...

Anyway, as I mentioned, it was clear the spirit was that, and I guessed it would have been clarified afterwards, but thanks for correcting me.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 3/24/2015 10:53:52 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 500
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/27/2015 8:48:48 PM   
rkr1958

I've been out of town most of this week for work and when I came back I see that you (all) answered my question. Athens is controlled by Germany. Thanks guys!

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

Post #: 501
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/11/2015 3:40:16 PM   
rkr1958

This attack didn't go anything like I expected for the Germans. The attached screen is the result. I thought I understood the conditions on whether or not the attacker got to choose between the assault and blitz tables. But apparently I don't which leads to my question.

Why did the French bet to choose the combat table? Why didn't the Germans get to? They have more armor, the weather is fine and they're attacking a clear hex.

Also, why did the Germans take -3 modified for armor? From the German side I really honked this attack up and need to figure out what I'm not understanding about this attack.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 4/11/2015 4:42:25 PM >

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 502
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/11/2015 7:12:20 PM   
AllenK

Hi,

The French 37mm gun counts as another Arm Corps when figuring out who chooses combat table. Since the Germans attacked with 2 Arm and the French are defending with the equivalent of 2, the Germans don't have more Arm and don't get to choose table. The -3 is correct. -2 for defending Arm in open and -1 for the 37mm being attacked by Arm.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 503
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/11/2015 7:21:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AllenK

Hi,

The French 37mm gun counts as another Arm Corps when figuring out who chooses combat table. Since the Germans attacked with 2 Arm and the French are defending with the equivalent of 2, the Germans don't have more Arm and don't get to choose table. The -3 is correct. -2 for defending Arm in open and -1 for the 37mm being attacked by Arm.
warspite1

I thought this was wrong as this is an AA unit and not AT - but of course you are absolutely correct. If the unit has a combat factor in red or pink (which this does) - it counts as an ARM Corps for choice purposes.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 504
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/11/2015 7:42:20 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: AllenK

Hi,

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I thought this was wrong as this is an AA unit and not AT - but of course you are absolutely correct. If the unit has a combat factor in red or pink (which this does) - it counts as an ARM Corps for choice purposes.

Dang ... I didn't even think about the impact of the French AA. So, the red or pink colored circle is the key. I guess that's the equivalent of the Germans turning their 88-mm flak guns into brutal tank killers.

Follow-up. Why did the Germans have to lose a second unit in addition to the airborne corps? The result called for the loss of 1 unit. Why didn't the airborne corps satisfy that loss?

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 4/11/2015 8:44:28 PM >

Ronnie

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 505
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/11/2015 9:41:10 PM   
Centuur

That last one looks like a bug to me. It should be enough to take the PARA as a loss.

Peter

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 506
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/11/2015 10:34:31 PM   
paulderynck

Yeah it looks like a bug. The Para being lost due to the attack not succeeding must not be picked up by the program as satisfying the loss of one unit called for by the CRT result.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 507
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/11/2015 10:45:22 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

That last one looks like a bug to me. It should be enough to take the PARA as a loss.

quote:

Yeah it looks like a bug. The Para being lost due to the attack not succeeding must not be picked up by the program as satisfying the loss of one unit called for by the CRT result.

O.K. then, I'll post it with a saved game in the tech forum.

Ronnie

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 508
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/11/2015 11:57:05 PM   
Larry Smith

Perhaps it is because it was a Blitz attack, and the first loss must come from an Arm, Mech or Mot unit, but as there is also a Para involved, that is lost due to the attack failing.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 509
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/12/2015 2:53:47 AM   
paulderynck

As mentioned above, the French could call the table and they chose Assault.

Paul

(in reply to Larry Smith)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI