Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2016 1:55:01 PM   
IBender

Thank you both for the helpful information.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 721
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/14/2016 10:21:37 PM   
IBender

Sorry for all the questions. Loving the game, but I have another question. I only bring them here when I feel stumped finding an answer.

Question: Playing Global War solitar. End of the turn/ just finished production and buying units. I come up on the French and its the phase / part of the turned labeled "reform corps/ armies" (something close to that) I understand that this is where I can combine divisions into corps. However, the French dont have divisions to reform really, the green little button to move to next part of the turn is greyed out. No french units seem clickable. I am ..stuck. I cant seem to move past this point and I can seem to find any units that I want / need to reform. Plus seems like I should just be able to move past this phase without doing anything.

Anyone with thoughts on this, I would appreciate.
Thanks

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 722
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 4:35:48 AM   
IBender

I think...I am attaching a screen shot. Dont laugh it is is not.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 723
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 4:56:13 AM   
Orm

Have you tried again to get by this step after loading a autosave?

If I am going to look at it further I need a save, so could you post one here?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 724
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 5:11:20 AM   
IBender

I can try and upload a game. Is it done the same way as I did with a picture? The "click here to upload" button supports gif/txt/jpg/zip files. game file is Gam.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 725
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 6:51:54 AM   
Joseignacio

I have experienced similar hangs of the game, and until another solution is given, I had to do as Orm tells you, take a previous phase savegame and do it again.

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 726
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 7:06:49 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azorn01

I can try and upload a game. Is it done the same way as I did with a picture? The "click here to upload" button supports gif/txt/jpg/zip files. game file is Gam.

The same way although you must first ZIP the save, and then used the zipped save file.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 727
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 2:32:46 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

The same way although you must first ZIP the save, and then used the zipped save file.

To zip a file, right-click on it. This will get you a menu. Pick "Send to". This will get you another menu. Pick "Compressed (zipped) folder". Then upload the resulting file.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 728
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 2:39:05 PM   
IBender

Here it is I think.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 729
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 5:32:41 PM   
Centuur

It's the right gamesave. But the game doesn't freeze on me and continues to the Chinese reform corps phase correctly.

This is indeed something which happens occasionally. The best way is to restart with an autosave.

Since we can't recreate this bug, it's very difficult for Steve to locate this one.

Peter

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 730
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/15/2016 6:18:15 PM   
IBender

Wow, well than you very much for taking a look and I appreciate the advise.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 731
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/16/2016 3:14:48 AM   
paulderynck

Another fix that has worked for me is to just click on a unit to select it. That may light the green light. If not then next try clicking the red arrows near the top of the Main Form.

If those don't work then certainly a reload from an autosave should do the trick.

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 732
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/17/2016 8:40:02 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Another fix that has worked for me is to just click on a unit to select it. That may light the green light. If not then next try clicking the red arrows near the top of the Main Form.

If those don't work then certainly a reload from an autosave should do the trick.

That can be a time saver. Thanks fo that tip.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 733
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/21/2016 4:23:17 AM   
IBender

Thanks, I tried the suggestions for getting past it, but they didnt work. I reloaded a game auto save and played through that part and it worked just fine. No idea how or why that would be fine but the original wouldnt but that is ok actually. The game is pretty complex and an occassional issue is little to suffer with.

Thanks guys.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 734
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/26/2016 4:26:17 PM   
IBender

Can I get some thoughts / links leading to thoughts regarding Global War Russian Set up and Scrapping. Lots of territory to cover with few units. Also, there seem to be some options for consideration that I am unsure I understand the pros and cons of. Ie Bessarabia / Finland / Where to set up Zhukov and what to do with him / Also convoy points (Russia doesnt seem to have any trade occuring over water with anyone - so I am a little confused what to do with the cp for them.

Thank you

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 735
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/26/2016 4:59:55 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 11/27/2016 8:25:42 AM >

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 736
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/26/2016 7:37:05 PM   
IBender

...and another russian question... Why wouldnt hyou convert as many as possible into Siberean units in Asia? They are all superior. I cant see the reason to not convert?

Thanks

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 737
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/26/2016 8:21:44 PM   
IBender

The following is a point of clarification for me. Basically let me know please if I am right or wrong and why etc.

- Rumania provides 2 points of oil to Germany ... am I right in assuming that it travels overland and therefore no convoy points are involed?

- Rumania provides 1 point of oil to Italy...am I right that this 1 point of oil travels over land to Italy and does not require any convoy points from Italy to move that oil to Italy?

- The convoy point Italy has in the Italian Coast makes sense to me as it move the resource in Sardinia to Italy, but in most if not all AARs I have seen Italy has a convoy point in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. I am confused by this as I do not see what it is transporting. Question - Why is it in the Eastern Mediterranean? Also sometimes I see people with a convoy point in Western Med and Red Sea and that doesnt make sense to me either as just like the Eastern Med...I cannot see what it is transporting?

Thank you

< Message edited by Azorn01 -- 11/26/2016 8:22:54 PM >

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 738
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/26/2016 8:35:13 PM   
Centuur

quote:

The following is a point of clarification for me. Basically let me know please if I am right or wrong and why etc.

- Rumania provides 2 points of oil to Germany ... am I right in assuming that it travels overland and therefore no convoy points are involed?

- Rumania provides 1 point of oil to Italy...am I right that this 1 point of oil travels over land to Italy and does not require any convoy points from Italy to move that oil to Italy?

- The convoy point Italy has in the Italian Coast makes sense to me as it move the resource in Sardinia to Italy, but in most if not all AARs I have seen Italy has a convoy point in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. I am confused by this as I do not see what it is transporting. Question - Why is it in the Eastern Mediterranean? Also sometimes I see people with a convoy point in Western Med and Red Sea and that doesnt make sense to me either as just like the Eastern Med...I cannot see what it is transporting?

Thank you

Yes, no convoys are needed if there is a rail connection overland to transport resources.

Convoys have to be used for supply purposes if the players use the optional rule "Limited Overseas Supply". Therefore you see Italy putting a convoy in the Eastern Med to make sure the units in Eastern Lybia are in supply if players are using that optional.

Peter

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 739
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/26/2016 8:43:07 PM   
Centuur

quote:

Can I get some thoughts / links leading to thoughts regarding Global War Russian Set up and Scrapping. Lots of territory to cover with few units. Also, there seem to be some options for consideration that I am unsure I understand the pros and cons of. Ie Bessarabia / Finland / Where to set up Zhukov and what to do with him / Also convoy points (Russia doesnt seem to have any trade occuring over water with anyone - so I am a little confused what to do with the cp for them.

Thank you

Let's start with the convoy points. It isn't unheard of to see the Wehrmacht cutting of the raillines from the Caucasian oil to the USSR. So one tends to see that those convoys are put in the Caspian Sea to make sure that at least 3 oil will flow to the hungry Soviet oil depending units and their factories. An alternative is to use those convoys for additional Murmansk convoy points up north (but I usually let the Wallies provide those ships).

Now, scrapping. I scrap all Soviet FTR's and improve quality of naval units which are not required at set up. And that's it. You need every unit you can put on the map, even the crappy ones. Some people also scrap the crappy MOT, INF and GAR, but I don't.
Usually, I put the European army and all air units with STRAT factors at the Rumanian border so the USSR can claim Bessarabia first (Adolf will never deny the claim in an oil game with the Soviet Air Force capable of bombing the Rumanian oil into oblivian).
Zhukov and the Siberians (and yes: only if you have drawn very good units in INF you don't swap them) you can do two things with.

1. Put them in place to grab Persia early 1940
2. Put them around Manchuria and start putting pressure on the Japanese.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 11/26/2016 8:46:01 PM >

Peter

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 740
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/26/2016 9:05:28 PM   
IBender

Great answers thanks. Just read up on "Limited Overseas Supply" and I like it. Seems realistic. I will have to give though to the perisa manchura options..hadnt thought of that at all really.

Thank you

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 741
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/26/2016 10:22:17 PM   
brian brian

If Limited Overseas Supply is in play then the Russians could end up in situations needing a Convoy Point in all of their coastal sea zones - Black, Baltic, Arctic, Caspian. So I like to set up one each in those, except the Arctic. And then build a few more to add to the Caspian if a 1941 Barbarossa is coming.

I do scrap any Russian MOT unit I can until about 1943; only then will I even build any of them. MOT are an offensive unit; their best use at the corps level is for advancing with the tanks in a blitz combat 'Breakthrough' result; at the divisional level they are the ideal loss unit when using the Blitz table. They are fairly expensive overall, and not something I would deploy for the Russians while on the defensive.

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 742
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/27/2016 1:06:42 AM   
IBender

That makes sense especially regarding the motorized soviet units. Thank you

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 743
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/27/2016 3:17:17 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

If Limited Overseas Supply is in play then the Russians could end up in situations needing a Convoy Point in all of their coastal sea zones - Black, Baltic, Arctic, Caspian. So I like to set up one each in those, except the Arctic. And then build a few more to add to the Caspian if a 1941 Barbarossa is coming.

I do scrap any Russian MOT unit I can until about 1943; only then will I even build any of them. MOT are an offensive unit; their best use at the corps level is for advancing with the tanks in a blitz combat 'Breakthrough' result; at the divisional level they are the ideal loss unit when using the Blitz table. They are fairly expensive overall, and not something I would deploy for the Russians while on the defensive.

I would never spend a ha'penny on naval units with Russia. The USSR needs boots on the ground to withstand Barbarosa. 6 pilots (if playing PiF and pilots) and every land unit you can buy - are what needs building as fast as you can build them.

Paul

Post #: 744
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/27/2016 12:42:06 PM   
brian brian

I agree, which is why I won't spend on MOT early for them; would rather just re-build the first casualties or maybe really splurge on one extra anti-tank gun division if the other land unit force pools are running low (no PARAs either, unless perhaps 1941 'Barb got sidetracked and Infantry class gearing limits are a problem in late 1941). But I like the option of using coastal supply if necessary and expect to lose the rail link to Baku eventually facing a 1941 attack. So a couple BP for a few more CP in the Caspian isn't exactly the re-birth of a new Soviet Fleet, either.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 745
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/27/2016 2:00:41 PM   
Centuur

It depends a little bit on what one is expecting from the German side. If a Barb 1941 is clearly going to happen, than building a couple of CP in J/F 1941 isn't a bad idea. If however, it looks like that German goes to close the Med, I wouldn't bother with those extra convoys for the Caspian. A Barbarossa 1942 should give the USSR enough units to make sure the Germans don't pass the Rostov - Moscow line...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 11/27/2016 2:01:09 PM >

Peter

Post #: 746
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/29/2016 5:20:14 PM   
IBender

Question regarding HQ Support "You can only allocate 1 organized HQ to support each hex. It must be in, or adjacent to, the target hex. " This I assume means that I cant have 2 different HQ support the attack, just one. Is this true?

Also, "Roll 1 die for each HQ providing support. If the roll is less than or equal to the HQ’s reorganization value, you shift the odds in the combat 1 level in your favor." I had assumed that the value added was the combat value on the HQ unit, but this seems to indicate that it is not. Can you guys clarify this please? Also if it just adds a combat value of 1 to the fight, what is the actualy atk / def number on the unit icon for?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 747
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/29/2016 6:21:35 PM   
juntoalmar

quote:

Also, "Roll 1 die for each HQ providing support. If the roll is less than or equal to the HQ’s reorganization value, you shift the odds in the combat 1 level in your favor." I had assumed that the value added was the combat value on the HQ unit, but this seems to indicate that it is not. Can you guys clarify this please? Also if it just adds a combat value of 1 to the fight, what is the actualy atk / def number on the unit icon for?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

"Odds in the combat 1 level in your favor", means that 2:1 becomes 3:1, or 4:1 becomes 5:1. Basically shift one column in the attacker's favour (to the right) on the combat table.

< Message edited by juntoalmar -- 11/29/2016 6:22:12 PM >

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 748
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/29/2016 6:30:30 PM   
Orm

quote:

Question regarding HQ Support "You can only allocate 1 organized HQ to support each hex. It must be in, or adjacent to, the target hex. " This I assume means that I cant have 2 different HQ support the attack, just one. Is this true?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

If a HQ takes part in a combat the actual combat value is included in the combat. Its combat factors are included in the actual calculation of the odds. Is addition to this the HQ can provide the optional HQ support (reorganization value is used here) either on offence or defence. How HQ support is handled differs whether the 1d10 LCT is used or the 2d10 LCT.

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 749
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/29/2016 6:48:56 PM   
Centuur

And it's true that you can only use 1 HQ for HQ support for that particular combat for each side.

Peter

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI