Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/14/2014 3:10:11 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Yes the source is Cernauti which becomes equivalent to a Russian city once Bessarabia's been claimed. In MWiF that hex is part of Bessarabia, but older WiF maps didn't include it as part thereof.

Since each map hex is approximately 100km.

It was decided to make Northern Bukovina (50km) part of Bessarabia.

Was this a consensus of the Beta testers?

It's a shame the change was not posted here in the forums.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 61
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/14/2014 4:16:24 AM   
paulderynck

It was posted about just recently here - amazingly, you must have missed it. And the change was attributed to Harry Rowland, the game's designer.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3541098&mpage=1&key=cernauti�

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/14/2014 5:25:42 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 62
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/14/2014 12:56:58 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

It was posted about just recently here - amazingly, you must have missed it. And the change was attributed to Harry Rowland, the game's designer.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3541098&mpage=1&key=cernauti?

That post was made in the Tech support forum on February 8, 2014.

That is the Beta testers domain to explain work arrounds to known bugs.

Since I am no longer in the Beta I have no business in the Tech support forum. If one of my posts gets there it is because it was posted in a discussion outside the Tech support forum and the thread moved there by Matrix.

I don't see how my mucking about in the Tech support forum would be of any use.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 63
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/14/2014 6:36:37 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

Since I am no longer in the Beta I have no business in the Tech support forum. If one of my posts gets there it is because it was posted in a discussion outside the Tech support forum and the thread moved there by Matrix.

I don't see how my mucking about in the Tech support forum would be of any use.

I agree.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/14/2014 7:37:23 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 64
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/15/2014 4:22:08 AM   
Extraneous

Now answer my question.

How was the decision reached to change the map and not post notification of the change?

Post #: 65
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/15/2014 4:44:05 AM   
paulderynck

This was answered by Steve in post #4 of the thread I referenced. I noticed the change quite some time ago and asked about it in the beta forum, and was given the same reply.

It was not something that needed to have an issue made about it, IMO. When it came up here again recently, I did check with ADG and was told the change is forthcoming on the paper maps in the board game as well.

And as mentioned in the referenced thread as well - it is identified in the RAC, for anyone that bought the game.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/15/2014 5:46:22 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 66
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 3/15/2014 10:56:05 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

Now answer my question.

How was the decision reached to change the map and not post notification of the change?

This was posted and discussed on this forum. Here are links to two threads were Cernauti and Bessarabia came up. I am pretty sure that there were more than this but I was not active in this discussion so I rather not spend time on searching for it if this is enough for you to find what you are looking for.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1416682&mpage=3&key=Cernauti?
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1763002&mpage=1&key=Cernauti?

Edit: I did not mean to be aggressive in my post. I just meant to ask if this was what you were looking for.

< Message edited by Orm -- 3/15/2014 11:59:09 AM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 67
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/5/2014 8:02:26 PM   
rkr1958

From the Interactive Tutorial Control (form) and outlined in yellow, "RC on the hex "locks" the NRD form". However, when I right click on the hex I get the menu outlined in red and the Naval Review Details (NRD) form (outlined in yellow to the right) isn't locked. That is, the units in it change when I mouse over a different hex.

What obvious thing am I'm not doing correctly or what am I misunderstanding?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 4/5/2014 9:04:30 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 68
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/5/2014 8:05:52 PM   
paulderynck

I think it has to be an empty hex or even more likely an empty sea zone dot because double-clicking on an empty sea zone is how you get the form to appear/disappear.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 69
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/5/2014 9:12:09 PM   
Centuur

quote:

I think it has to be an empty hex or even more likely an empty sea zone dot because double-clicking on an empty sea zone is how you get the form to appear/disappear.

Yes. It has to be an empty hex in a sea zone...

Peter

Post #: 70
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/12/2014 11:23:56 PM   
rkr1958

I'm struggling a bit with the below move in the naval tutorial. What I ended with was the CL Perth and the Amphibious unit loaded with the 6-4 infantry corps docked in Liverpool. What I started with was the CL and Amph unit in Sea Box 2 in the Bay of Biscay and the 6-4 corps in Pemborke. I'm confused.

Did I do what I was suppose to do? That is, the two naval units with the Amph loaded with the 6-2 in Liverpool? If so, why couldn't they have ended their turn in Pemborke? What's the advantage of ending in Liverpool?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 71
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/13/2014 12:04:53 AM   
Cad908

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

I'm struggling a bit with the below move in the naval tutorial. What I ended with was the CL Perth and the Amphibious unit loaded with the 6-4 infantry corps docked in Liverpool. What I started with was the CL and Amph unit in Sea Box 2 in the Bay of Biscay and the 6-4 corps in Pemborke. I'm confused.

Did I do what I was suppose to do? That is, the two naval units with the Amph loaded with the 6-2 in Liverpool? If so, why couldn't they have ended their turn in Pemborke? What's the advantage of ending in Liverpool?

Hello rkr1958,

The objective of this particular page was to load a transport while passing through a port. For many of the Interactive Tutorials the goal is HOW to do something, and you are quite right loading a land unit in Pembroke and transporting to Liverpool makes little to no sense. However, in another situation this technique can be very useful as the transported land unit is able to move during the following land movement phase.

-Rob

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 72
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/20/2014 12:20:24 AM   
rkr1958

From the perspective of someone new to WiF and MWiF I have a request of one or more of the experienced players. Well really two requests; but not both would have to be filled by the same experienced player. I know that I'm asking a lot and if these requests are ignored, I understand 100%! However; if I don't ask they would be "ignored" with certainty.

So, "Dear Santa", what I would like for Spring is, for an experience player, or players, to do AARs on the two introduction scenarios (Barbarossa and Guadalcanal) using the default setups and rules. I would find such AARs as invaluable tools to learning and understanding how to play WiF / MWiF.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 4/20/2014 1:20:59 AM >

(in reply to Cad908)
Post #: 73
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/20/2014 6:58:51 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

From the perspective of someone new to WiF and MWiF I have a request of one or more of the experienced players. Well really two requests; but not both would have to be filled by the same experienced player. I know that I'm asking a lot and if these requests are ignored, I understand 100%! However; if I don't ask they would be "ignored" with certainty.

So, "Dear Santa", what I would like for Spring is, for an experience player, or players, to do AARs on the two introduction scenarios (Barbarossa and Guadalcanal) using the default setups and rules. I would find such AARs as invaluable tools to learning and understanding how to play WiF / MWiF.

Guadalcanal AAR: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3408132
Barbarossa AAR: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3431797

Have fun!

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 74
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/20/2014 4:52:33 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

quote:

Guadalcanal AAR: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3408132
Barbarossa AAR: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3431797

Have fun!
Yes, Virgina, there is a Santa Clause.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 75
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/26/2014 8:41:53 PM   
rkr1958

This is a rules question. I'm playing through the Guadalcanal starter scenario and trying to learn the game and rules as I go along. I'm learning the rules both by trying to understand what the game (i.e., MWiF) does and by referencing the applicable rules in the, "The Rules as Coded" volume. Now let me set up the situation and my interpretation of the applicable rules. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

The Japanese are invading Midway with a 5-3 and 3-3 militia unit from Sea Box 1 without any air or naval support. Because this is a naval invasion the 2 units are half to a total of 4. The US includes the notional unit (why wouldn't they?) for 1. Since both units are invading from Sea Box 1, the US adds in an additional 2 + 2 (or 4 total).

From what I can deduce from the game (MWIF) and the RAC is that for each invading unit +2 is added to the defense if that unit invades from Sea Box 1 or 2 and +1 if it invades from Sea Box 3. Is that correct? What about if it invades from Sea Box 4? The closest explanation for this rule that I found in the RAC was in the example given on page 73.

So back to the invasion and my example. The US has a task force with the Saratago on patrol in the Hawaiian islands. It flies it carrier air as a bomber which adds 2.5 more factors to the defense. So, the number of defense factors are: 1 (notional) + 2 (unit invading from box 1) + 2 (a second unit invading from box 1) + 2.5 (Saratago air wing) = 7.5, which rounds to 8. So the odds are 4:8 (or 1:2), with +1 die roll modified because a notional unit is always disrupted. Correct?

The allied player is given the choice of which CRT to use (Blitzkrieg or Assault). From what I can tell the best choice for the allies is the 1D10 Blitzkrieg Table. This gives the Japanese only a 30% chance (9, 10 or 11) of capturing Midway. Even though a result of 5-8 would outright destroy only 1 of the 2 invading units, since the notional unit isn't destroyed then the "surviving" invading unit would be?

And by my understanding choosing the 1D10 Assault CRT would given the Japanese a 40% chance (8-11) of successfully capturing Midway. Correct?

By the way, the Japanese rolled an 8 (+1) = 9 on the Blitzkrieg table, which resulted in them taking Midway and both units surviving. Though, I doubt their transports will in the allied impulse to come.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 4/26/2014 9:56:06 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 76
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/26/2014 9:46:22 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Got a few mistakes in there.

quote:

From what I can deduce from the game (MWIF) and the RAC is that for each invading unit +2 is added to the defense if that unit invades from Sea Box 1 or 2 and +1 if it invades from Sea Box 3. Is that correct? What about if it invades from Sea Box 4? The closest explanation for this rule that I found in the RAC was in the example given on page 73.

Not quite. See the little number next to the sea box? At the 1 box it's 2*, 2 box its 1*, 3 box 0*, 4 box it's just 0. That's how much you subtract from each ships shore bombardment and add to the notional if you invade from there. The asterisk means it's +1 in weather other than fine. So if it had been raining in your example, each invading unit makes the notional +3.

quote:

The allied player is given the choice of which CRT to use (Blitzkrieg or Assault). From what I can tell the best choice for the allies is the 1D10 Blitzkrieg Table. This gives the Japanese only a 30% chance (9, 10 or 11) of capturing Midway. Even though a result of 5-8 would outright destroy only 1 of the 2 invading units, since the notional unit isn't destroyed then the "surviving" invading unit would be?

Notionals aren't units. They can't take losses, and if the notional is "left alive" at the end of the combat, he doesn't wipe out the invaders the way a real unit would if one were present.

Ergo, the assault table is the one to pick, you want to make sure you get kills if you want to hold the island.

< Message edited by Ur_Vile_WEdge -- 4/26/2014 10:56:55 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 77
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/26/2014 10:10:07 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

Not quite. See the little number next to the sea box? At the 1 box it's 2*, 2 box its 1*, 3 box 0*, 4 box it's just 0. That's how much you subtract from each ships shore bombardment and add to the notional if you invade from there. The asterisk means it's +1 in weather other than fine. So if it had been raining in your example, each invading unit makes the notional +3.

quote:

Notionals aren't units. They can't take losses, and if the notional is "left alive" at the end of the combat, he doesn't wipe out the invaders the way a real unit would if one were present.

Ergo, the assault table is the one to pick, you want to make sure you get kills if you want to hold the island.

Thanks! So a follow up. What happens if I were to get a result that killed one of the invading Japanese units but had no effect of the defense (e.g., 1/-)?

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 78
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/26/2014 11:35:46 PM   
rkr1958

So I tried the combat again but forced the outcome to get a "1/-" result. Both Japanese units were destroyed and Midway held. So for this specific combat, I don't understand why the assault table would be better then blitzkrieg. It seems that both give the Japanese a 30% chance of capturing Midway and if successful, 1/3 of the time 1 unit survives and 2/3 of the time both survive.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 4/27/2014 12:50:03 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 79
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 12:03:21 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

It appears I misquoted the rules to you.

From RAW, section 11.14

quote:

Resolve the combat normally. Any combat result (other than ‘-’) destroys the notional defending unit. It doesn’t count as a loss towards satisfying the combat result.

That does indeed make the blitz table the better choice. Sorry for misleading you, looks like I've been doing something wrong for a long while.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 80
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 2:15:21 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

It appears I misquoted the rules to you.

From RAW, section 11.14

quote:

Resolve the combat normally. Any combat result (other than ‘-’) destroys the notional defending unit. It doesn’t count as a loss towards satisfying the combat result.

That does indeed make the blitz table the better choice. Sorry for misleading you, looks like I've been doing something wrong for a long while.
No problem. :) I can't image trying to learn and correctly interpret all the rules associated with WiF. I just don't think I'd have the time and patience to do this at my stage in life without the aid of MWiF taking care of rules interpretation and managing the gameboad and all the units for me. This alone, makes MWiF worth ever dollar they're asking for it!

Post #: 81
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 8:55:57 AM   
paulderynck

The assault is still the better choice because although both give a 30% chance for the Japanese to succeed, the Assault table yields the higher chance for Japanese casualties.

In WiF always take the long term view.

BTW a 2/1 result is a US victory because even though the notional is destroyed, there are no attackers that can advance and take the hex. And if there's no advance, then the notional "regenerates" for the next attack!

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 4/27/2014 10:09:37 AM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 82
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 5:51:44 PM   
rkr1958

Is a port attack against a port with transports only a legal move? The reason I ask is because MWIF did not give me the option to conduct a port attack. In prior impulses it did when there were other (combat) ships in port with the two transports. So am I correct in inferring that port attack is only a legal move when there are enemy combat ships in port?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 83
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 5:57:13 PM   
AxelNL

You should be able to port attack TRS only. Did you have any organised ships left to do this?

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 84
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 5:59:39 PM   
Orm

quote:

I played a Barbarossa game by email against Red Prince and we reported the result in this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2874906

We didn't use the default setups and rules but I thought you might find it fun to see me getting a real thrashing.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 85
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 6:14:19 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

If the notional land unit is left alive at the end of the combat is does wipe out the attackers since they have then failed to capture the hex.

RAC: 11.14 Invasions
If you retreat, shatter or destroy all defending land units, the invasion is successful. Otherwise, the invading
units are destroyed.
Each hex defends against an invasion with a notional land unit, in addition to any actual land unit in the hex.
Resolve the combat normally. Any combat result (other than ‘-’) destroys the notional defending unit. It
doesn’t count as a loss towards satisfying the combat result.

Post #: 86
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 6:16:48 PM   
Orm

quote:

You should be able to port attack TRS only. Did you have any organised ships left to do this?

The weather might also forbid the port strike. Or action limits.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 87
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 6:22:36 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

The weather might also forbid the port strike. Or action limits.
O.K. I'll reload the prior turn and methodological document the situation assuming I don't get the option for a port attack. I'll let you know what I find in a bit.

SORRY -- it must have been the weather. In replaying the turn I get fair weather and now have the option for a port attack.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 4/27/2014 7:27:53 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 88
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 4/27/2014 6:56:25 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I played a Barbarossa game by email against Red Prince and we reported the result in this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2874906

We didn't use the default setups and rules but I thought you might find it fun to see me getting a real thrashing.
I will absolutely pour over this AAR! Thanks!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 89
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/4/2014 2:47:19 PM   
rkr1958

Both Nimitz and MacArthur in the default setup for the Guadalcanal scenario start at Pearl Harbor. I'm now at the start of turn 2 and both seem to be stuck there providing supply. The problem is that I can't rebase any ground units there because of stacking limitations. And, I can't move either of these HQ units out to support units elsewhere. I'm not sure what I did to get myself in this situation or what I need to do to get myself out?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 5/4/2014 4:49:31 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI