Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Things we would like added to the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> QVADRIGA >> RE: Things we would like added to the game Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/17/2014 10:03:22 PM   
SteveD64

Maybe have to assign a driver to a chariot, so if you swap a new chariot in he gets a penalty for one race (like how new horses are treated).

Make veterinary treatments (much) more expensive for better horses. Same with chariots.

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 3/17/2014 11:03:57 PM >

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 61
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/17/2014 10:48:54 PM   
wile1411

I like the ideas that user: Wodin posted about RPG emelements. To add to this, It'd be great to have an "age" stat for each of the Auriga incorporate with the previous suggestions of dates being recorded for each race. That way it forces you to retired them after they hit a certain age range.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 62
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/17/2014 11:31:35 PM   
jacknastyface

FWIW...I'd like to be able to influence some of the "bad" events that happen at a race: pay money to have a competitor's horse poisoned / chariot damaged / gate delayed / auriga bribed / praetors "look the other way for 1 instance" on a "no crash or no lash" race, etc.

It might also be interesting to take side bets / payoffs from local governors...ie: local quaestor / proconsul will pay you extra dinariis to smash opponent X or place 2nd in next race. Or perhaps get "assignments" whilst travelling between regions ("a stranger approaches you on the trireme to Hispania and asks if you will race for his faction for X races").

It might also be nice to have the ability to "bump" chariots into the next lane. That is, instead of whipping the horses / driver or smashing the cart/ horses , you could elect to "push against" an opposing chariot and force a lane change.

And....although this is COMPLETELY a-historical....it might be interesting to feature "underground" chariot races through the streets of a town, complete with pedestrians, horse traffic, etc. Sort of a "Fast and the Furious" meets "Ben Hur"...or perhaps "Blues Brothers mall scene + Ben Hur"

Ave,

Jack Nastyface

< Message edited by Jack Nastyface -- 3/19/2014 9:30:04 PM >

(in reply to wile1411)
Post #: 63
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/19/2014 4:39:42 AM   
NZgunner

Just finished my first campaign with a final score of 308 whatever that means. 66 races in all, each one enjoyable although I pretty soon adopted a strategy of giving up if it was going to be too hard on the horses, equipment and men to finish in the placings - appearance money and minimal repair bills are a lot better than a crash and no money.

I didn't have a single auriga with more than 6 victories, and only one with 4 skill upgrades - all 4 horse teams were the best money could buy although the 2xspeed 1xendurance greys performed just as well in my opinion, but I never saw a fully upgraded chariot.

I made big bets when things were well in my favour, eg odds of 5:1 and a guaranteed max acceleration start, and money pretty much took care of itself for most of the game - finding things to spend it on became more of an issue (never found the best chariots).

On the basis of this I've got some suggestions,
- need more skills/upgrades and trade-offs for these at the top level - there shouldn't be one best chariot, auriga or horse team
- random events should appear after bets have been laid
- track conditions shouldn't be random events, they should be known before you pick your team
- need more things to spend money on

(in reply to dirwulf)
Post #: 64
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/19/2014 4:59:26 AM   
76mm

Lots of great suggestions here...I hope that at least some of them are implemented...

(in reply to NZgunner)
Post #: 65
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/19/2014 4:05:26 PM   
malthaussen

Being able to change the name of a newly-hired auriga to fit in with the team theme. Just seems strange to have Manny, Moe, Jack and Carmargus...

-- Mal

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 66
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/25/2014 2:51:44 PM   
nats

There are a few things that I would like to see changed in the game:

1/ I dont like that massive order icon over the chariot, even though its only there for a second or so it still detracts from the otherwise nice looking graphics for that amount of time - you cant see any animation either whilst its there.

2/ When you are getting dragged and the future movement bar goes really dark red/almost black because you are about to die or whatever you cant see your icon choices at all becaue they are black icons on a very dark background.

3/ When you are following a chariot or two chariots your order icons get rather difficult to see because they have a transparent background. This is not a major issue but its just a little tricky to see them.

[I cant image any of the above make this game very suitable for people who dont have at least reasonable eyesight, certainly this game hasnt been designed with the visually impaired in mind]

4/ When you want to mouse over another chariot to see what their horses are like etc the screen scrolls all the time and its rather diffiuclt to actually get your mouse where you want it. I dont know what could be done about this, you can always zoom out to see all the chariots but then the icons get rather small.

5/ The music is goddamn terrible! Sorry but it is.

What I would love to see added:

1/ I would love to see more variety of chariot addition - for example being able to deliberately pick small fast light quality made chariots, maybe smaller wheels for speed, wheel scythes independantly from chariot choice etc.

2/ Also what about better equipment for horses - like better food and lighter horse shoes? These could all add some needed variety to the technology you employ, also training of horses to get them gradually better over time and work better as a unit, and more variety of horse skills like cohesion and order response?

3/ Training of aurigas as well and perhaps more variety of auriga skills like intelligence and aggression.

4/ One of my most desired things though would be being able to change around your horses within a team or swap horses between teams, I would love to be able to do that. Its often the case I wish I could configure the various teams themselves.

5/ Multiplayer - should be easy to implement in a game like this one would think and could be a real blast, imagine playing a 16-quadriga multiplayer game!

On the flipside, things I love about the game are: obviously the races are epic I love playing those and the variety of things that an happen during the race is very good, and I love the events as well they add a heck of a lot of variety to the races.

Overall its a very enjoyable game

< Message edited by nats -- 3/26/2014 10:53:31 PM >

"Its life Jim, but not as we know it"

(in reply to malthaussen)
Post #: 67
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/26/2014 4:16:48 PM   
nats

After playing the campaign for a few days, another thing (sorry!) I would love to see added in the game is a list of the race's runners before a race. You see a list of the local leaders after the race but nowhere do you see who you are going to be running against in the next race.

For example: Cronos has been my faction leader for another team for ages, he has loads of wins more than my faction leader. But if I saw that he was running in the next race I might make it my job to try to injure or even kill him during the race thereby getting myself onto the leader board for my faction instead.

So I think this would really add a load more strategy to the game as you try to beat the various leaders in races. And if the leader you are not interested in is not in the next race you might pass on that race to save your main man for the race against him later.

I think it would make a lot of use of the mechanisms that are already in the game, but would add loads more depth. Also adding a rundown of who won the race and what happened to the racers (injury, death etc) would be good as well, like someone said above.

But for me the main thing I would love to see would be a list of the race runners, plus perhaps their odds, starting lane, faction, and maybe their bonuses, so you can start to formulate a strategy before you get into the actual race.

But its a great game. I am playing it far more than I expected to. Just having the goal of getting to the Circus Maximus adds a really nice objective to the gameplay which would otherwise be a bit aimless. I am so far legendary and have loads of money but I still cant get into the Circus Maximus yet!

< Message edited by nats -- 3/26/2014 10:55:35 PM >

"Its life Jim, but not as we know it"

(in reply to nats)
Post #: 68
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 3/27/2014 4:23:29 PM   
Harmor

I think this was mentioned before, so I'll second it - I'd really like to see full race results and a few more statistics for AI non-faction leaders. Call me a statistics-nut, but that sorta stuff adds quite some immersion for me.

(in reply to nats)
Post #: 69
RE: Things we would like seen added to the game - 4/6/2014 12:43:29 AM   
Rodia

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

A confirmation box before deleting a saved campaign

This.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack54

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

A confirmation box before deleting a saved campaign

oowwchh! That must have hurt!

Yes

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 70
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 4/6/2014 2:19:23 AM   
Philo32b

quote:

But for me the main thing I would love to see would be a list of the race runners, plus perhaps their odds, starting lane, faction, and maybe their bonuses, so you can start to formulate a strategy before you get into the actual race.

Building on this idea for this great game, what would be useful is the ability to mouse over other racers/horses/chariots and see the skill bonuses while you are in the race. That way you can evolve your strategy on the fly, knowing what the enemy is capable of. (E.g, how tight a corner they can take without wiping out.) It would be reasonable to expect your racer to know all this about the competition and so reporting it to the game player would make sense.

By the way, I like the music. But it would be nice to be able to mute it without muting other noises, as any game's music will eventually grate after enough time.

EDIT: OK, I'm an idiot. You can already see (many? all?) bonuses the racers/horses/chariots have by their graphic and color details. This is actually better than a mouse over popup since it requires some skill on the part of the player.

< Message edited by Philo32b -- 4/6/2014 3:16:09 PM >

(in reply to nats)
Post #: 71
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 4/9/2014 7:45:03 AM   
CaptCarnage

I have it for 2 days now and it's excellent.

I was thinking of the following:

- a bit more sound effects for the audience, like "oooooooooooooh" when a racer is slain, "aaaaaaaah" when two chariots crash, "aaaaaw" when a horsy dies....

- Maybe some revenge events, if you kill a Leader then there is a chance the next race might have this faction's leader only and they are all out to get you

- Getting booted out of a city for a while, for whatever reason (winning too much, killing too much, etc.)

(in reply to Philo32b)
Post #: 72
RE: Things we would like added to the game - 4/10/2014 7:32:37 AM   
jimwinsor

For experienced players, the campaign becomes too easy IMO. There needs to be a "hard" difficulty setting, in which money is harder to come by. I'm always awash in cash in my late game, whether it's a normal or Epic game; Epic is not harder IMO, just more time consuming.

"Hard" difficulty would be less purse money for non win-place-show finishes (really, prizes should continue to diminish beyond 4th pace, to zero after 6th place or so) combined with more punishing per turn maintenance cost for your stable. Such that if you keep finishing out of the money you WILL go bankrupt.

Also add spending on bribery and carceres events in your favor. No event unless you opt to pay the bribe.

More betting options would be nice. Place and show bets? Odds posted on all teams, and allow bets placed on non-player teams? The player is likely up to no good in that latter case; add a penalty and/or fine event if the player is "caught" betting on the opposition and fixing a race.

Add moneylenders to the game, in case you suffer a losing streak. Rates would be set at historic usurious levels, and no stable could leave a city while the debt to the local moneylender is unpaid.

Lastly, maybe have your cash at the end of the game translate to "victory points"? A simple solution right there to give some meaning to all this late game money.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to CaptCarnage)
Post #: 73
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> QVADRIGA >> RE: Things we would like added to the game Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI