Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Custom changes to your counter mix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Custom changes to your counter mix Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/1/2014 4:59:07 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

don't know about the german colour, but I like the cheeses!

Agreed, both France and Italy have turned out well. They are the Cheese for the axis and allies.

Germany otoh had a color issue with the cream looking too close to white. So in trying to find a suitable, readable color. I found Gold superior to many other color combos. It just stands out.
Really the jpg doesn't do it justice. To blurry.

I'll get some screens of how they look on the map.

thanks for the input

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 121
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/13/2014 4:43:02 PM   
Viktor_Kormel_slith

Hi! Warhunter, We play with your modded counters for japan, china, usa, spain, netherlands and portugal, and what about other major powers? we love the italiann in post #1 more than last white versions, for france our favourite is post #118 (but gold details are dfficult to see), for germany and ussr, we think would be better colours more similar to classic, maybe germany with any colour relation to italy(gray with a little purple) and ussr some kind of brown orange...This way the real relations in game were reflected in the colours. Thats our idea, what do you think?. Thanks for your efforts an congratulations for your mods!

Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 122
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/22/2014 6:30:58 AM   
WarHunter

I'm happy to read you like some of the recoloring. I know some choices made are not for everyone. But its not so difficult to accept. The colors for Italy, France, Germany and USSR are finally done. I'm not sure there was a perfect choice.

Setting them up and looking at them on the original map and my modded map. Is what was most important to me in deciding.

Here is a sample of all the nations i choose to recolor. Major and minor.

Putting the finishing colors on the ships and planes. Then checking to make sure everything is included. Should be done by Friday.

Thanks for letting me know how you like this mod so far.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Viktor_Kormel_slith)
Post #: 123
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/23/2014 8:25:39 PM   
AxelNL

Aren't the Russian and Spain background colour very similar?

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 124
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/24/2014 2:41:40 AM   
paulderynck

Not to my eyesight.

Paul

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 125
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/24/2014 7:37:34 AM   
Centuur

Let's just say that I am not able to play with these kind of colors. There aren't enough differences between them. On one unit, I can't even read the description (the dark coloured GAR). To me, it's totally dark brown with a GAR symbol in it. That's it. A lot of nations look the same to me...

For the colorblind, this is a nightmare. This is exactly the reason why the colors used in MWIF are chosen the way they are.

Khaki in Flames is one thing, but this is a bridge to far, where I'm concerned.

Peter

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 126
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/24/2014 2:51:48 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

Similar but not identical

Those 2 nations came out that way as a matter of circumstance. I don't think more than 1 in 500 games will ever see the USSR and the Spanish facing off on each other. I have not had a hard time knowing which is which.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 127
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/24/2014 4:00:02 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Let's just say that I am not able to play with these kind of colors. There aren't enough differences between them. On one unit, I can't even read the description (the dark coloured GAR). To me, it's totally dark brown with a GAR symbol in it. That's it. A lot of nations look the same to me...

For the colorblind, this is a nightmare. This is exactly the reason why the colors used in MWIF are chosen the way they are.

The original colors that come with MWiF are good enough for 100% of the people that want to play the game. Not being colorblind is just my luck.

Khaki in Flames was the egg that hatched into an idea to recolor all the major powers. Working on KiF mod gave me confidence to attempt more.
It was never my intention to create color schemes to play tricks on your eyes. The color picks just happen to agree with what a ww2 wargame should look like to my eyes. Even asked for reccommendations from the players here.

The result is, it might be downloaded by a handfull of players.

I can't see things through your eyes Centuur. You want to work with me and create a modified alternate color set for colorblind gamers. Send me a list of colors for each nation.
Happy Gaming

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 128
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/24/2014 5:19:13 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

quote:

Similar but not identical

Those 2 nations came out that way as a matter of circumstance. I don't think more than 1 in 500 games will ever see the USSR and the Spanish facing off on each other. I have not had a hard time knowing which is which.

very true - there is a AAR currently running where that chance is significantly higher. Also a fan of different colors.

You need a name for this grand mod, any options already?

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 129
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/24/2014 5:39:15 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

The original colors that come with MWiF are good enough for 100% of the people that want to play the game. Not being colorblind is just my luck.

Khaki in Flames was the egg that hatched into an idea to recolor all the major powers. Working on KiF mod gave me confidence to attempt more.
It was never my intention to create color schemes to play tricks on your eyes. The color picks just happen to agree with what a ww2 wargame should look like to my eyes. Even asked for reccommendations from the players here.

The result is, it might be downloaded by a handfull of players.

I can't see things through your eyes Centuur. You want to work with me and create a modified alternate color set for colorblind gamers. Send me a list of colors for each nation.
Happy Gaming

About 5% of all men have problems in the green-red area. This is the larges group of colorblinds.

This means that you can only use Green for one country if at all possible. You can use light Green and dark Green, but if you do, you can't use any other Green color in between.

The same things happen, if you start using Brown and you are using dark Green too. Those colors are in the same part of the colorshaping. So if you use dark Green, you can't use dark Brown. If you use light Green, you can't use some darker Yellow colors too.

If you use Green, you can't use Red in the counter too, if it has about the same "light" as the green color. So you can use dark Red in light Green and vice versa, but not light Green and light Red together (or dark Red and dark Green).

Now, this list goes on an on, because dark purple looks the same as some Red colors to the majority of colorblind. Black in combination with Red is also difficult. If you would write a post here in red, I would see the text as being black too.

In general, you can't use pastelcolors a lot too. Colors have to stand out for the colorblind. That means using the major ones (as are present in MWIF) and can't deviate a lot.

So, if you are doing a Mod which can satisfy the colorblind, you probably won't be satisfied by it at all.

By the way, I only wanted to react on the question asked by AxelNL how other would feel about it. I just gave my opinion, that's all. Now, perhaps I've overreacted a little, since a lot of people don't acknowledge the problems colorblind can have. Imagine wanting to travel in a city using the underground and not being able to read the poster with the map, because the colors indicating what line goes where all look the same (A personal experience in London in the 1980's)...

This website made by Microsoft should give you an understanding of what to be colorblind is about. I won't know for sure what you will exactly see in the grafics on the top of things, since I'm... colorblind...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb263953%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Peter

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 130
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/24/2014 10:50:42 PM   
Viktor_Kormel_slith

Hi! I understand the point of view of colorblind players but this is just another option to play and the original counters are very good too. I play both. Warhunter like I said before, good work but I prefer purple for italians, their soldiers wore feathers ; for germans the first more greys looks better for me; for ruskies I think more adequate orange brown and for the other minors if you allow me , blue for yug and blue for greece (too much blue in balkans) Nothing more, hail to everyone and good playing!

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 131
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/29/2014 4:59:31 AM   
WarHunter

Here goes what looks to be the last changes dealt to the counters for recoloring.

This and the next 2 posts will showcase all the neutrals. The USA/USSR and Germany/Italy land force pools. France was unchanged.

After reading the comments I went through and lightened up shades of colors in some cases.
Then looked at the counters on 3 different monitors. Yes they looked different on each. Not much to do but pick the best color combo I was comfortable with.

Anyway, if there are is no major resistance to the colors. Here they are.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

Post #: 132
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/29/2014 5:00:05 AM   
WarHunter

USA/USSR

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 133
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/29/2014 5:00:39 AM   
WarHunter

Germany/Italy

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 134
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 6/1/2014 3:36:45 PM   
WarHunter

Last change to color mix.

Will post completed set before June 6 2014.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 135
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 6/1/2014 5:55:10 PM   
Viktor_Kormel_slith

I think last changes are very cool, specially I love last german colours, agressive and elegant , russians are very good too and in general, minors look nice but like I am spanish, and the spanish are very stubborn people and I am from Aragon, the most stubborn of the spanish people... I must to insist that is sad to waste the beautyfull colour to turkish troops instead glamorous italian forces but anyway we hope you finish the good work to use the mod in the next game that me and my friends play. so, thanks in advanced!

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 136
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 6/1/2014 8:32:20 PM   
AxelNL

I like the new Gerry Grey. And the Whermacht/SS colorset is now much more the same as well. Maybe give the non-elite SS (bit of a paradox) instead of white the same dark grey?

Post #: 137
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 7/30/2014 3:31:18 PM   
brian brian

I've always thought the Japanese would look really good with red lettering on a white counter. … ???

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 138
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 7/30/2014 7:43:04 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I've always thought the Japanese would look really good with red lettering on a white counter. … ???

Nice idea for a color scheme.
The biggest problem against it. The White print units are hard coded. Which makes white lettering on White counter a bad choice.

It can work for a nation with no White print units.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 139
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 7/30/2014 7:59:31 PM   
brian brian

is the border color around the white factors part of the hard-coding? then maybe it would still work as the border would show up?

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 140
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 7/30/2014 8:37:13 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

is the border color around the white factors part of the hard-coding? then maybe it would still work as the border would show up?

Here is a quick and dirty look.
It also highlights another problem with changing the Japanese counter scheme.
The Chi-Com counters are linked in some strange way.
Whatever color the Japanese counter is. The interior color of the Chi-Coms changes to it also.
Big reason why yellow was canned.

The screen shot illustrates it perfectly.
With some work an off-white could be used. And a different color scheme for China worked on also.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

Post #: 141
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 7/31/2014 2:36:12 AM   
brian brian

Hey thanks so much! A pity the hard-coding of the white-print units changes the unit symbol box and unit name too. I'm guessing the aircraft bitmaps can't be changed?

What about this idea - make just the IJN ships in white with red letters? That was my original inspiration. Ideally the NAVs, CV planes, some FTR, and the various long range naval planes could go that route (and I guess the MAR units too) but it looks like the plane bitmaps preclude that.

Could we see just an example of red-on-white ships? Use a bright red.

edit: errrrr, nevermind, just realized the ships would have bitmaps just like the planes

Anyhow thanks for all you've done for the game!

I've messed around with changing WiF counters in Cyberboard, making a set of Territorials in any likely controlling major power's colors, for example, and fixing up the Classic TRS and SUB counters that change factors and costs in SiF. It made a very elegant, playable set. But I've never got beyond that, though my next goal was to change the Netherlands to a bright Orange. (On those I was hoping for pretty bright tint to the Orange, a Day-Glow version perhaps). Never tried changing the Japanese to white in that but perhaps one day.

A game of World in Flames with all the maps and counters laid out is quite a colorful sight. The glossy counters and bright tints look good, and I hope any and all tinting decisions can be strong to simulate the glossiness of the counters. But that's just me. I always like the one house in the town that looks it swam in from the Caribbean amidst the American ocean of Pastel, Pastel, everything Pastel. ZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

< Message edited by brian brian -- 7/31/2014 5:30:03 AM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 142
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 7/31/2014 2:19:12 PM   
WarHunter

I'll work on some examples so you can look at. They may not be very pretty.

The bitmaps for ships and planes can be modified quite a bit. With work.
I'm no artist for that level of modding though.

Marcus Luttrell

Post #: 143
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 8/1/2014 3:17:04 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Here is a quick and dirty look.
It also highlights another problem with changing the Japanese counter scheme.
The Chi-Com counters are linked in some strange way.
Whatever color the Japanese counter is. The interior color of the Chi-Coms changes to it also.
Big reason why yellow was canned.

The screen shot illustrates it perfectly.
With some work an off-white could be used. And a different color scheme for China worked on also.

If you (or others), could put together a list of "hard coded" colors, I might be able to look at fixing those. It should only take a few minutes to investigate and perhaps only a few minutes more to recode so the colors are dynamic - based on the colors in the CSV files. Best would be to email those lists to me directly (SHokanson@HawaiianTel.net), rather than rely on my seeing posts in threads.

===

I do like all the various color combinations.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 144
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 10/18/2014 2:20:28 AM   
warspite1

WarHunter

I don't know if you are still doing mods for MWIF, but if you are, could I ask you to test out a "German Allies pack"?

These are suggested colours for Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania and Finland. I was inspired by Post 132 above and the glorious Hungarian colours you chose. I could not quite match the colours you obtained for Hungary but the red and green you chose are absolutely perfect.

If you are interested would you mind posting a few counters using these suggested colour schemes please?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/18/2014 5:06:51 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 145
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 10/18/2014 1:24:41 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

WarHunter

I don't know if you are still doing mods for MWIF, but if you are, could I ask you to test out a "German Allies pack"?

These are suggested colours for Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania and Finland. I was inspired by Post 132 above and the glorious Hungarian colours you chose. I could not quite match the colours you obtained for Hungary but the red and green you chose are absolutely perfect.

If you are interested would you mind posting a few counters using these suggested colour schemes please?

The Finnish one looks somewhat like a Swedish white print. Maybe the Swedish counters should be changed as well?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 146
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 10/18/2014 5:57:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

WarHunter

The Finnish one looks somewhat like a Swedish white print. Maybe the Swedish counters should be changed as well?
warspite1

Damn, I forgot about the Swedes. The colours should be inverted.

Attachment (1)

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 147
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 12/6/2014 3:03:14 AM   
drdax

WOW, I have re-discovered this game and the community around this game. I am VERY impressed on these mods and other aspects in the forum for the game, good job folks!

I am very excited we can mod the game, it's exactly what this old grognard needed... and I can take the game with me on the laptop.

Move over WiF Box, looks like I will be ordering your new and improved cousin this weekend!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 148
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 3/1/2015 5:12:30 AM   
blumust10ac

OK. Am I just missing it, or what? How do you change the background color for the land units? Warhunter, your work is great, but please share the secret.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 149
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 3/1/2015 3:27:06 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: blumust10ac

OK. Am I just missing it, or what? How do you change the background color for the land units? Warhunter, your work is great, but please share the secret.

You have to change the RGB code, to change the colors. Check out this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3498626&mpage=1&key=

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to blumust10ac)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Custom changes to your counter mix Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI