Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions on a few things

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Questions on a few things Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions on a few things - 4/6/2014 6:40:10 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Hey all,

I just recently started playing toaw 3 and what a gem it is. I think I have hang of the basics such as turn management and supply, etc. I even managed to win France '14 as Germany and am going on to WWII scenarios. But I have a few questions for you vets...

Do you always keep artillery to minimize losses?
Do you attack with HQ's at all? Sometimes they have elements which would help, but I'm not sure if it is beneficial.
If your artillery has a range of one, must you keep them in the same hex to support on reserve?
How do you keep your air units straight in ww2 and beyond scenarios?
How do you effienctly manage your formations to keep them together at all times? Sometimes I have to split them in order to advance as quickly as possible or mix / match forces.

Any help is appreciated!
Post #: 1
RE: Questions on a few things - 4/7/2014 9:28:50 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: NotOneStepBack

Hey all,

I just recently started playing toaw 3 and what a gem it is. I think I have hang of the basics such as turn management and supply, etc. I even managed to win France '14 as Germany and am going on to WWII scenarios. But I have a few questions for you vets...

Do you attack with HQ's at all? Sometimes they have elements which would help, but I'm not sure if it is beneficial.
If your artillery has a range of one, must you keep them in the same hex to support on reserve?
How do you effienctly manage your formations to keep them together at all times? Sometimes I have to split them in order to advance as quickly as possible or mix / match forces.

Any help is appreciated!

Here's a strategy primer that still applies to most aspects of TOAW 3.4+.

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/docs/strategy/Knowlton-strategy-guide.php

Regards,

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions on a few things - 4/7/2014 3:50:33 PM   
Cfant

No, you can, but there may be reasons to use any of the losses-status - no reason not to do it :)

No. They mostly only have support-weapons (range one or more). In direct frontline they would loose valuable supply-units.

No, range 1 means, it can (rangewise) support any unit which is max. 1 hex away.

Don't really know what you mean?

Well, good questions, next question :D THere is, as you surely know, a way to look the coordinates of any unit. Problem: You cannot see the coordinates of split up units. Maybe another player can help?

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions on a few things - 4/9/2014 3:24:29 AM   
ogar

quote:

There's an option for Formation Highlight that puts a 'ring' around the units in the current formation, so you can see them more clearly.  This is available in the drop-down list under Options in the header bar.  There's also a button to trigger this on/off on the right hand side of the screen.  Personally, I do not use this much, but maybe it can help.

quote:

Depends on the scenario.  Most scenarios, the air units are few enough compared to ground units that you can handle them pretty simply.  Most of the time,  the standard usage of
   Fighters on Air Superiority
   Fighter Bombers/Light Bombers on Combat Support
works well in managing the units.  If the units are tiring, they just do not rise up when called to station; "Let Harry take that one."  And that helps a lot, because most of the air action is behind the scenes -- reacting to enemy movement or enemy artillery fire, harassing enemy units, responding to enemy air.  So letting the engine handle that works okay most of the time.
   Setting some FBs/bombers on Interdiction can pay off attriting the enemy, but you need to make sure you have air equality (if not superiority) and that your ground units control a good portion of the map.  Interdiction averages itself over the enemy hexes within range - so it improves as you gain more territory.

Some players swear by only having air units directly bomb (in support of ground attack) instead of setting CS.  This ensures the unit will participate in the attack (as opposed to waiting for Harry...)  I sometimes use that when I want to assure some air support on target, but the key factor is that air bombardment/attack just aint that powerful in any one attack.  It's the ongoing wearing down that really helps.

Heavy bombers are usually restricted by House rules - so check those carefully.  And they are great for bridge attacks - which can be very hurtful in cutting supply or reinforcement routes.

I tend not to attack airfields - you'll get enough chances at enemy air in the air, I think.  Although there are situations -- Warsaw Pact going to Paris for lunch, Barbarossa, ... -- where airfield attacks really are the key method.

As for tracking the units, in some games I will invest in tracing the air units via spreadsheets to make sure I've always got some resting, and some ready on AS, etc.  It's a real pain, but it can help.  Other games, I just make a habit of checking the air units first thing in a turn, and at least twice more during the turn - to make sure their readiness is not too low (40% is too low, I find), and/or to change their assignment to/from rest.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions on a few things - 4/9/2014 5:06:03 PM   
NotOneStepBack

^^ This was my question and thanks for your answer. I started the "France D-Day 1944" scenario with the guide posted in the past, and maybe I will keep excel open.

I love games like this but I wish the interface were more user-friendly. Maybe TOAW4...

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions on a few things - 4/10/2014 7:09:10 AM   
sealclubber

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cfant2

No. They mostly only have support-weapons (range one or more). In direct frontline they would loose valuable supply-units.

Well, good questions, next question :D THere is, as you surely know, a way to look the coordinates of any unit. Problem: You cannot see the coordinates of split up units. Maybe another player can help?

To add to this answer, the single most useful thing an HQ unit permits is free disengagement when trying to withdraw a unit that is adjacent to enemy units.

If the HQ has supply squads inside it, you need to be even more careful with them as losing supply squads will decrease the amount of supply (and thereby readiness) a unit recovers each turn.

Regarding formations... read the manual sections on cooperation levels and you'll learn everything you need to know about when to keep formations fighting together and when you can break them up.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions on a few things - 4/10/2014 7:51:06 AM   
Ruppich

quote:

ORIGINAL: sealclubber

To add to this answer, the single most useful thing an HQ unit permits is free disengagement when trying to withdraw a unit that is adjacent to enemy units.

Does the HQ has to stand "on" the hex where another unit wants to retreat from or is standing adjacent to that hex enough?

(in reply to sealclubber)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions on a few things - 4/10/2014 9:35:06 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruppich

quote:

ORIGINAL: sealclubber

Does the HQ has to stand "on" the hex where another unit wants to retreat from or is standing adjacent to that hex enough?

Ruppich,

It has to be in the same hex.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Ruppich)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Questions on a few things Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI