Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Re: The Dilemma

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Re: The Dilemma Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: The Dilemma - 3/5/2003 1:31:36 AM   
xsalarcon

Red,

I can play three turns per week easily. If God Pc doesn't hangs :).
So I can take up the ones who have started easily.

Is there any other willing to start ?

Even I can change side and play russians or americans,

Regards,
Sergio

[QUOTE]Originally posted by red
[B]Ok, I need some input from the players, on one side we have players who have finished or about to finish round 1 on the other hand we have players who due to busy schedule and timezones can't complete round 1 as fast, and then we still have ppl who want to sign up. I'd like to include as many players as we can, this is what this is about but at the same time we need to keep the game moving so let me know your thoughts. [/B][/QUOTE]

(in reply to red)
Post #: 211
Americans win - 3/5/2003 8:07:20 AM   
3/2 ACR

Decisive Victory

Rick 3/2 ACR (Americans) 10,924
Hades (soviet) 3,840

Kat Killer

(in reply to red)
Post #: 212
Match up update (Round 1) - 3/5/2003 10:58:40 AM   
red

VonBlk (Matrix Recruit):??/??
vs
xsalarcon (Matrix Recruit):USSR/USA

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."
--MUHAMMAD ALI

(in reply to red)
Post #: 213
round 1 status - 3/5/2003 11:07:07 AM   
red

Roster
------------

Belisarius:-/-
sandman20:-/-
AngryDeemon1:-/-
willy:-/-
Rokondo:1/1
red:0/1
Hades:0/1
3/2 ACR:1/1
dodger:-/-
CPT Shoe:-/-
VikingNo2:-/-
Buzzard45:-/-
Shiner:1/1
ThomasBELL123:0/1
Mogami:0/1
Brutto-Bob:1/1
Ironfist:-/-
Aussem:-/-
Stonefire:-/-
M4 Jess:-/-
rbrunsman:-/-
RobW:-/-
Scharfschütze:-/-
Squirmer:-/-
BlueLavender:-/-
mlomax:-/-
BORO:-/-
Birdgunner:-/-
sztartur:-/-
TheOverlord:-/-
VonBlk:-/-
xsalarcon:-/-

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."
--MUHAMMAD ALI

(in reply to red)
Post #: 214
- 3/5/2003 11:45:09 PM   
Squirmer

Since Scharfshutze's motherboard still remains dead we may struggle to complete our game soon. I would be happy to start my second game now. Useless Brits vs whoever in 1942 ...

P.S. How do you do an umlaut on an English keyboard?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 215
Red - 3/6/2003 3:06:57 AM   
Gary Tatro

You forgot me and Jim Linquest. How could you forget me? :( All that tutoring and advise to be forgotten and left in the virtual black hole. :D

Red - One of my favorite movies. Doc gets me LMAOF.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to red)
Post #: 216
ready ¿? - 3/6/2003 4:56:57 AM   
xsalarcon

Hi Von,
Give your e-mail so we can start setting up a game.

Mine is [email]xsalarcon@eresmas.com[/email]

I will take USSR

I guess your spwaw 7.1 is working fin ¿?

Regards,
Sergio

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VonBlk
[B]Greetings My Warior Chums,

First off...No i did not read the entire thread...(14 pages)
so could you bear with me plz.
I'm new (bet ya would never guess)
I've not played SPWAW 7.1 as PBEM and I like the
Opponents registry idea but the page (link from game)
is error 404 to me.
Of what I've read in this post, sounds like fun (even for a newbie) Is the info on games in progress and opponet list posted I think I would like to join up (German) but don't know the rules...any help?
Give me a start point :)
I can play PBEM one turn a day no problem (after work)
Thanks,
Von [/B][/QUOTE]

(in reply to red)
Post #: 217
- 3/6/2003 6:28:34 AM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Squirmer
[B]P.S. How do you do an umlaut on an English keyboard? [/B][/QUOTE]

Some keyboards allow you to type <;> (or, in other words, ) then the letter that allows for umlauts (e.g. a, e, i, o, u). I don't know if it works on the Forum though.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to red)
Post #: 218
Im Ready - 3/6/2003 9:14:25 AM   
ThomasBELL123

whoever my opponent is, my email is [email]tkdoyle.cb@verizon.net[/email].[/email]

I'll be US or German for 1942.

(in reply to red)
Post #: 219
US vs Germany 8/41 - 3/6/2003 4:07:05 PM   
Ironfist

Well the Americans have counter attacked.I'm losing ground. HQ killed by Units attacking from the rear area. Troops south are regrouping and attacking Center USA formation. Aussem and I have started our second game. Playing two at once. We havent choosen our set up for the third but it will be wild. I hoped to frustrate him in the initial attack, but the Americans have rallied well. I think he now realizes that he out numbers me two to one.
It's nice to have german 50mm but when you compare 2100 pts vs 1200 pts for cost of a company of tanks. Shear numbers will out weigh you in a close assault. My main assault is now over. Trying to pick up the pieces now. Turn 6 of 12.:eek:

Waffen Soldat Hesselbrock
11th SS Freiwilligen Nordland Div.
23rd SS PzrGdr. Reg. Norge.
7th Kompanie 1st Zug.

(in reply to red)
Post #: 220
update - 3/6/2003 10:31:54 PM   
red

since Jim Lindquist submitted a complaint to the UN Security Council, I'm hereby posting an update to the roster and hope International Tribunal in the Hague goes easy on me

Jim Lindquist:-/-
Gary Tatro:-/-

--MUHAMMAD ALI

(in reply to red)
Post #: 221
Rules amendments - 3/6/2003 10:37:15 PM   
red

This applies to Round 2 and onward:

1. Germany: There will be a limit on the number of 88mm AA purchase, maximum set is platoon size. Being realistic you can't think Germans used them as attack weapon by moving and firing them in the same round. It's a heavy Flak gun so get real and since the game engine allows it, this limitation will keep its use to a fair level.

--MUHAMMAD ALI

(in reply to red)
Post #: 222
Re: Rules amendments - 3/6/2003 10:45:34 PM   
Belisarius

[B]This applies to Round 2 and onward:

1. Germany: There will be a limit on the number of 88mm AA purchase, maximum set is platoon size. Being realistic you can't think Germans used them as attack weapon by moving and firing them in the same round. It's a heavy Flak gun so get real and since the game engine allows it, this limitation will keep its use to a fair level. [/B][/QUOTE]

Is this for 88 AA only, or 88 ATs as well?

Got StuG?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 223
- 3/6/2003 10:46:44 PM   
red

I'm not 88 expert, can you move and fire 88 AT in the same round?

--MUHAMMAD ALI

(in reply to red)
Post #: 224
- 3/6/2003 11:34:16 PM   
sandman20

[B]I'm not 88 expert, can you move and fire 88 AT in the same round? [/B][/QUOTE]

That only works with 88-AA Gun.

But I suppose that rule apply to all other countries also, not only Germans, or what?

For example USA have 90mm AA gun, which works same way.:rolleyes:

(in reply to red)
Post #: 225
Round 2 - 3/7/2003 12:05:41 AM   
mogami

Hi, How/When do we find out our round 2 opponents?

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to red)
Post #: 226
Yes - 3/7/2003 12:12:01 AM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sandman20
[B]That only works with 88-AA Gun.

But I suppose that rule apply to all other countries also, not only Germans, or what?

For example USA have 90mm AA gun, which works same way.:rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

I stongly feal that it should apply to all heavy flak for all nations. This will be updated and corrected in the next set of OOB changes.

The ATG's can not move and shoot in the same turn so there should be no restriction on them.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to red)
Post #: 227
amendment 1 amended - 3/7/2003 12:28:40 AM   
red

All heavy flak guns are restricted under Conventional Arms Reduction treaty to no more than a platoon allowed for purchase. To all long range gunners out there, this game is about armor and infantry combat so you have to get down and dirty.

--MUHAMMAD ALI

(in reply to red)
Post #: 228
- 3/7/2003 2:09:07 AM   
rbrunsman

Just for clarification (I think Ironfist misunderstands the rules and thus, probably others):

In round #2 we play a different person; we don't play the same person 3 times in the first 3 rounds. To move to the 4th round, you will have to win 2 of the first 3 rounds.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to red)
Post #: 229
- 3/7/2003 2:31:14 AM   
red

rbrunsman is 100% right, i missed ironfist's post. your next opponent will be decided in random and it will not be your round 1 opponent.

--MUHAMMAD ALI

(in reply to red)
Post #: 230
- 3/7/2003 3:16:43 AM   
Kanonenfutter

Can I still join the world cup?? If not I will cry the whole year :confused: I am a fanatic player and loyal.
I want this cup

Artillery is the god of war.

J.Stalin

(in reply to red)
Post #: 231
Sign Me Up - 3/7/2003 9:27:37 AM   
patriot101

I would like to get in this PBEM World Cup. I have never tried this before. I see most of the good nations are already taken. I guess I would be willing to play the British, even though it would not be a first choice. Let me know what I need to do to get in.

(in reply to red)
Post #: 232
I like the Heavy AA limitation. - 3/7/2003 12:30:18 PM   
Buzzard45

I have a suggestion as well.

Would you please read the last paragragh of the Mar 06 post on this thread and comment please.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=380342#post380342

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to red)
Post #: 233
Tournement Outline - 3/7/2003 4:39:57 PM   
Ironfist

Would or could someone put the total outline of tournement rules and terms of play here in one post. Apparently I have no ideal what the actual outline is ? I have tried reading the posts but they are fragmented and spread out. I had Assumed that the 1st round was a three game play with the winner having the most points and moving on to the next round with whatever points earned. Thus being said I have let my first game fall into ruin, so then agian I may not be around much longer anyways. Be patient with me. I have really been trying to follow the terms of the tournement and thought I had a pretty good grip of the flow of things. At this moment I have no ideal where I stand....
PS: after further reading I did find terms on page four. Sorry for the misunderstanding:p

(in reply to red)
Post #: 234
- 3/8/2003 3:59:02 AM   
red

Kanonenfutter, patriot101:

state 2(any) countries you'd like to play, it worked out for you since you both signed up, you get to play each other right away.

Buzzard45:
It's up to the players. I usually go by mutual agreement so if most players want it, it will become a rule of the tournament.

--MUHAMMAD ALI

(in reply to red)
Post #: 235
OH YEAH - 3/8/2003 6:29:19 AM   
Kanonenfutter

Thank you for let me in. Where can I read the whole rules? I'll take the Germans if allowed. If not I want the Finnish.
I'll contact my opponent Patriot. :)

Artillery is the god of war.

J.Stalin

(in reply to red)
Post #: 236
WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW WILL KILL YOU! - 3/8/2003 10:08:58 AM   
Gary Tatro

[SIZE=3]GARY TATRO MOUNTS HIS SOAP BOX AHHM AHHM[/SIZE]
In an effort to educate not to infuriate I will now advise all the players of WC2003 of some of the weeknesses of SPWAW 7.1 and give my pledge!

SPWAW has many weeknesses as a game, but if you choose to play within a set of rules that are honorable and reasonable you can have the best and most enjoyable turn base strategy wargame playing of your life. In an effort to further this goal I will now talk about all the things I have learned by accident, fiddleing, testing, or had done to me over the last two years of playing. I am going to put them in two catagories ones that I do and ones that I never do.

[SIZE=3]Ones I Never do![/SIZE]
1) PRE-DEPLOYMENT BOMBARDMENT: During deployment if you are the first player and have purchased your units and have received back your opponets turn and you go into the deployment screen you can say done and exit out, the game will then run the pre-turn 1 bombardment. If you opponent has ploted for .0 you will see where all his artillary shots will land. Then you can reload the turn and place your units in spots where his artillary did not land.
.......Way to avoid this: As player two plot your artillary during deployment for 1.0 delay. Your artillary will land after player 1 has moved but before you move. You still get in that first round of devistating fire. You just have to judge where your opponet will be.

2) RELOADING: This is where you reload the turn after you have played it the first time because your sneaky opponent set up a great trap and you fell into it. Now on the second try you cleverly avoid the trap.
.......Way to avoid this: No way hope your opponent is honorable and can deal with losing a game or two. If your opponet is always avoiding your traps this might raise a concern.

3) FAST ARTILLERY ON: By turning your fast artillary on you make it imposible for your opponent to see where you artillary is landing. Thus he has no idea in determining which way to move his troops away from the deadly fire. Or if he is moving his troop right underneath the fire. Craters might give you an idea but not all artillary makes craters. The suppression of your troops will tell you but will not help you in the decision on where to move to avoid the fire.
......Way this can be avoided is by asking your opponent to turn fast artillary off.

4) MOVE AND SHOT HEAVY FLAK: This is where all heavy flak of all nations can be picked up, moved and shot in the same turn. This makes these units extreamly deadly (and in my opinion unfair). The reason I think this is unfair and unrealistic is that MG's and ATG can not do this.
......Way this can be avoided, make a house rule. Though in the future this is going to be corrected with an OOB change.

5) DIFFERENT VERSION: This is where your opponent is playing with a older version than 7.1. This can be a big problem because in some of the older versions you could do many things that are not allowed in 7.1.
.......Way to avoid this, ask your opponent what version they are playing with. There are many different OOB's for version 7.1 so do not be supprised if you are playing with the same version but still get OOB violation messages.

6) SAVED GAME FAILED TO LOAD: This is where your opponent fails to wait an appropriate amount of time before exciting from the game and the game fails to save correctly. Now this could be an accident, but if this is happening every 2 to 3 turns your opponent might be doing it on purpose to get a allowed replay.
......Way to avoid this, very simply inform your opponent that they need to count to 10 slowly after they end their turn before exciting from the game. I ussually get up and get a drink or go to the bathroom, kiss the wife, ect, ect.

7) REQUESTING REINFORCEMENTS ON TURN 1: This is where your opponent requests reinforcemtents on turn 1 then refuses engagment until his AUX units get to the front then overwelms you with superior numerical forces.
.......Ways to avoid this, suggest a designated time before reiforcements can be requested. My rule of thumb ussually is not to request reinforcements until I need them, but to lay a ground rule I have started asking for no reinforcements until turn 10.

8) GAMING: This is where you buy specific units that in mass quanities are unstopable and would be completely unrealistic in the real life during WWII. Now I am not talking about purchasing the best infantry unit, tank unit, and artillary available to you. Everyone does this. What I am talking about is purchasing 400 bycle units or MC units and then rolling over your opponent who just does not have enough opportunity fires to stop that kind of charge.
......Ways to avoid this: I have requested reinforcements to specifically counter my opponents one sided purchases, but ussually I just beg off playing with him again afte I lose.

[SIZE=3]Things i do do sometimes[/SIZE]
9) FOR ALL OF YOU RARITY THUMPERS OUT THERE: The object of rartity on is to try to keep your opponent from purchasing unbalanced forces. Like playing the British in 40's with all Matilda's. The way the system works is that you get to purchase cetain items if they are available. Once you make your purchase the game randomly determines if they are unavailable based on the rarity level. Well as player # 1 you can start a game and make your purchases, if you do not get what you want then you can restart the game and try your purchases again, you can keep doing this until you get the force composition you want.
Now as player 2 it is even eaiser. When you load the game and go into the purchase screen you make your purchases and if you don't get what you want you just hit the escape key. SPWAW goes back out ot the load game screen then you load the game again and try your purchases again and again until you get the force composition you want.
......Ways to avoid this just don't play with rarity(I hate the rarity setting I think that it is rediculous). Agree to purchase well balanced forces. If a certain time period give a certain country an unfair advantage adjust the points or agree to a limit to those specific units (Matilda's, PantherG UHU's, Rangers). Or agree to not do the previously mentioned things and stick with your original purchase.

10 TARGETING THE ARTILLARY PARK: This is where the artillary leaves a smoke residue, waving a flag saying here I am, here I am and then ploting counter artillary battery fire for that location. Poof you opponent is without his artillary for 3-4 turns. Now you just plot one or two mortors to hit it every turn and poof you have just nullified 10% of your opponents assets (extreamly valueable assets at that since it is almost imposible to perform combined arms actions without artillary)
.....Ways to avoid this: Have your opponet agree to not target the artillary park until he has a unit that is within line of sight of it. Yeah right (trust me no one every agrees to this). So here is what I do. I purchase extra small recon units and some MC units and during set up, then I review them during deployment. I then take them and place the ones with 4 smoke ammo around my backfield and have them lay smoke on turn 1. Also you can get trucks or mobil artillary(though much more expensive) and shoot and scoot. Problem is you need to break it up into two groups to get continuous per turn fire or you end up skiping every other turn. :( Big advantage to your opponent.

[SIZE=3]Things I do almost every game[/SIZE]
11) 10% ARTILLARY LIMIT: Talk about confusion and misunderstandings. Well this limit has to be the biggest one. What I believe this should be is a limit in points on mortors, howitzers, rockets, mobil artillary, and off board artillary. This does not include 50mm mortors, but does include everything 60mm and above and does include mortors that come with companies of infantry.
This does not include forward observers.
This does not include ammo depots.
This does not include the one infantry squad that comes with the battery of mortors.
This does not include AA or SPAA.
This does not include ATG or Infantry Guns.
JUST ARTILLARY.
......Ways to avoid this confusion. A good definition of what is and isn't included in the 10% limit.

12) DELETING UNITS OUT OF YOUR PURCHASE SCREEN: Many times while purchasing a company/army of units the company will have some of the units that I want and some units that I do not want. I will keep the units I want and delete the others from purchase que getting back valuable purchase points to buy other things. A prime example would be the purchases of a MECH SS Company(it comes with 2 mobil artillary pieces), well I have already purchased all the artillary I can per the 10% limit so now I go in and delete them out of the que. Anothe example would be the Purchase of a Russian Recon Company. Well I don't want though's terrible T70 Recon tanks they suck so I delete them out of my purchase que.
......Ways to avoid this: Tell me that you want to agree to no deleting out of the purchase que. Ok I will agree. No problem.

Well that is it and here is my pledge I will not do any of the tactics I mentioned in number 1-8 and if my opponets want me to I will agree to terms on number 9-12. I feel strongly that a game without honor is wasted hours of my life and torture for the soul.

I remember a not so good movie I watched about a year ago, it had one good line in it that I always remembered.

[SIZE=4]Honor is Man's Gift to Himself.[/SIZE]

Gary Tatro Steps off his Soap Box

(in reply to red)
Post #: 237
Hear ! Hear ! - 3/8/2003 10:38:32 AM   
Buzzard45

In the manner of British style parliament. Hear! Hear! Much desk thumping!!

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :

eek: :eek: and a few things that I didn't know about.

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to red)
Post #: 238
- 3/8/2003 12:46:50 PM   
AngryDeemon1

The German Blitzcreig is halted.

Angry Deemon1-Soviet 11253
willy-German 6992

Soviet Unions Carries the day

(in reply to red)
Post #: 239
Round One - 3/8/2003 3:06:34 PM   
Ironfist

Aussem 14,396
Ironfist 7,222
Bad map with reinforcements hexs on the wrong side. From now on random maps only, no hand picked ones.

Waffen Soldat Hesselbrock
11th SS Freiwilligen Nordland Div.
23rd SS PzrGdr. Reg. Norge.
7th Kompanie 1st Zug.

(in reply to red)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Re: The Dilemma Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI