Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DC3 Barbarossa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> DC3 Barbarossa Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DC3 Barbarossa - 5/29/2014 12:10:33 AM   
lancer

Hi,

I'm Cameron, the Developer for the new DC title. Vic's role is that of Producer and he is providing oversight on the whole project.

I'll be posting a series of Blogs on the forthcoming game which are found on the VR Designs site but to make it easy I'll put links to the articles here as they appear.

At this stage it'll probably be a weekly post.

I'll be talking about the game in detail as time goes on but, in short, the DC engine has been extended and the next game in the series, while having much in common with the previous two, will have significant differences.

The upcoming posts will be focusing on these differences.

Cheers,

Cameron
Post #: 1
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 5/29/2014 12:11:14 AM   
lancer

[Reserved]

Post 1: Introduction
Post 2: Why the heck won't my Panzer's Move?
Post 3: Let's Talk Tires
Post 4: Russia on Ten Barrels a Day
Post 5: How to make Logistics Fun
Post 6: Information Flow - A Torrent or a Trickle
Post 7: Trucking our way to an Early Retirement
Post 8: Head Up, Shoulders Back!
Post 9: Focus, Man, FOCUS!
Post 10: Down But Not Out
Post 11: The Proving Grounds
Post 12: The Dark Side of the Moon
Post 13: A Night on the Town with Ms. Logistics
Post 14: I Swore it Worked when I Last Looked at it!

New Series (easing back to once a fortnight)

Post 15: What is Command?
AI Post 1: The Soviets need to hold the line
Post 16: Box Art Revealed
Post 17: Where are the Vital Organs - we'll be operating tomorrow
AI Post 2: The Soviets hold the line!
AI Post 3: Missing some je-ne-sais-Guderian
Post 18: Who Is Going To Make My Cup Of Coffee In The Morning?
AI Post 4 : Ready for Balancing
Post 4: Zen and the Art of Knowing who to Salute
Barbarossa Manual Sneakpeek!
Post 5: It Would Help If I Wasn't Surrounded by Idiots
Post 6: My Boss is a Psychopath
The long evolution of the Decisive Campaigns series
Post 7: The Ends Justify the Means
Post 8: Ethics and Morals
Post 9: The Fiddly Bits
Post 10: The Low Down
Decisive Campaigns: Community Project now Available!
The Monthly Metrics: December 2015
The Barbarossa Original Soundtrack
We Are Watching You... Metrics Part 2
Lets Play Advanced Tactics Gold

Next Game

DC: Next Game Post 1: Taking in the Wider View
Next Game Post 2: Pushing Noodles Uphill

< Message edited by lancer -- 2/26/2016 2:59:19 AM >

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 2
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 5/29/2014 12:53:51 AM   
Michael T

Hi Cameron

A few questions.

Is the game covering just Barbarossa or the entire 41 to 45 campaign?

What is the hex and time scale?

What is the unit scale?

Is DC3 essentially an upgraded DC2 or something significantly different?

In your blog you said the game needed to be something 'new' to sell. I disagree. I think it just needs to work properly. I spent a lot of time with WITE. But in the end I gave up, it just doesn't work. I think what the historcial gaming community would like is a East Front game that actually works. That is it does not need to be something 'new' just for the sake of being different.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 3
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 5/29/2014 11:39:56 AM   
TJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

In your blog you said the game needed to be something 'new' to sell. I disagree. I think it just needs to work properly. I spent a lot of time with WITE. But in the end I gave up, it just doesn't work. I think what the historcial gaming community would like is a East Front game that actually works. That is it does not need to be something 'new' just for the sake of being different.

+1 to that. Let WitE stand as a cautionary tale. Please take a conservative approach in your design.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 4
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 5/29/2014 4:02:13 PM   
O.Schmidt

Sorry, I do not understand what is meant by WitE? ( War in the East??)

Ahoi Seemann
O.Schmidt

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 5
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 5/29/2014 4:33:31 PM   
wodin

Wish someone would do an expansion that follows an Army through a series of linked scenarios. The linked scenarios where my favourite part of DC CB.
Any chance you could do something similar with this game?

(in reply to O.Schmidt)
Post #: 6
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 5/29/2014 11:57:28 PM   
lancer

Hi,

Some quick answers.

1. Scale is 30 km / hex, Divisions.

2. Time Period is '41 and early '42 (the initial drive to the Gates of Moscow and the winter counter attack)

3. An effort has gone into keeping the game manageable (play over two or three evenings). Unit count is deliberately kept as low as possible.

4. The 'New' builds onto the existing game rather than tearing it apart and putting it all back together in a different manner. The next blog post will give an idea of what this entails.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 7
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 5/30/2014 12:10:38 AM   
wodin

So a bigger scale. Like the time period but bot keen on the scale. Still wish you luck mate:)

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 8
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 5/30/2014 12:41:47 AM   
Michael T

What period of time is each turn in length? Week? Month?

The game sounds very interesting. I would hope if it succeeds that a future installment would complete the period from 42 to 45.

I will be getting this game :)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 6/5/2014 9:12:23 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T
What period of time is each turn in length? Week? Month?

Blog says game turns represent 4 days.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 10
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 6/5/2014 11:26:04 AM   
Michael T

4 days, nice

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 11
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 6/6/2014 2:47:49 AM   
trebcourie

Good luck. I'll be excited to see a DC3. This one is very close to being a great game.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 12
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 6/6/2014 7:59:08 AM   
Rasputitsa

The blog on this game says that the designer is looking for the 'sweet spot' in gaming the Eastern Front. The spot between being unrealistic and over-simplistic, or being mega complicated and bogged down in detail. I really hope that this can be done, as my shelves and HDD are filled with games that don't quite make it.

The key here is the role the game has for the player and how closely this equates to historical world command positions, whilst producing a game that doesn't take your whole life to play.

So far the information coming from the DC3 blog is encouraging.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 13
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 6/24/2014 12:12:13 PM   
Redmarkus5

As Michael T said, please focus your energies on making it work correctly. I'd much prefer a convincing 'Battle of Smolensk' that works well and which has an effective AI that (at a minimum) doesn't simply run away over a '41-45 Grand Campaign' that doesn't work!

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 14
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/16/2014 12:13:18 AM   
trebcourie

So I just read all of the blog posts about DCIII...

And I sure hope you can pull it off! It looks like you have some great ideas and concepts. I personally don't like the micromanagement. I love the staff/command system where commanders can issue a few commands and then have the staff bring in issues (and maybe recommendations). And if there is some level of micromanagement, I at least want it presented in an easy-to-issue manner.

I just don't want it to be a game where you rubber, oil, breakdown issues make it a choose-your-own adventure type game. I still want to focus on the operational handling of the armies.

Good luck and keep updating!

It looks like this might scratch an itch or two of mine.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3629205

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 15
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/24/2014 11:57:00 PM   
lancer

Hi BROJD,

The prime focus of the game is the 'Player as Operational Commander'. This is combined with a micro-management free approach.

While you have the option of delegating any decisions that arise you are still required to provide hands on operational management.

This is a large part of the game, one that differs from the traditional approach and one that I haven't covered yet in a blog post.

But I will.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 16
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 9/24/2014 1:34:39 AM   
wodin

Well this is looking superb. Finally a game doing something different that will add so much to immersion and decision process rather than just pushing counters.

One thing that seems to be becoming apparent is that it looks like it will have all the mechanics need to do a fantastic WW1 game.

Infact once out I'd be more than willing to give it shot a Vic.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 17
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 9/24/2014 3:49:28 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Well this is looking superb. Finally a game doing something different that will add so much to immersion and decision process rather than just pushing counters.

One thing that seems to be becoming apparent is that it looks like it will have all the mechanics need to do a fantastic WW1 game.

Infact once out I'd be more than willing to give it shot a Vic.

Look here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3684595

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 9/24/2014 7:05:03 PM   
wodin

Thanks for the heads up..though it's DC3 new features to do with commanders and a logistics that will suit WW1. I see the mod struggling with certain aspects like EAW has.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 19
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 12/22/2014 6:55:05 PM   
keithrose

It would be a shame if a good game was spoilt by an assumption that "bigger is better". Gary Grigsby made a similar error in thinking a more complex game would by definition be "better" - its not, its just more (too?) complex -in a spreadsheet management type of way - I doubt anyone but accountants & people alone in a sealed room ever actually play WiTE for more than a few turns.

The great thing about DC1 & DC2 for me was the ability to manipulate sub division units to gain advantage - using armour, infantry, air & artillery in a combined op dependent on terrain/weather/opposition etc - the sub units allowed this subtlety. I fear a big east front division slugging match will be just as dull as all the other big east front division slugging match games (both PC & board) that exist out there.
Why not use the existing system to do North African scenarios or some other interesting theatre at the existing scale rather than just trying to create something that will be just another monster game - as unplayed as it is unplayable.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 20
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 12/22/2014 7:06:43 PM   
micheljq

There are many AARs in WitE forum, it is played and playable. I own both Decisive campaigns games and also WitE.

I agree DC system is simple, intuitive, cards are fine. There is a learning curve at first but it's normal. I would like a whole russian campaign with the DC system.

Michel.

< Message edited by micheljq -- 12/22/2014 10:48:36 PM >

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to keithrose)
Post #: 21
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 12/23/2014 6:03:16 AM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: keithrose

It would be a shame if a good game was spoilt by an assumption that "bigger is better". Gary Grigsby made a similar error in thinking a more complex game would by definition be "better" - its not, its just more (too?) complex -in a spreadsheet management type of way - I doubt anyone but accountants & people alone in a sealed room ever actually play WiTE for more than a few turns.

The great thing about DC1 & DC2 for me was the ability to manipulate sub division units to gain advantage - using armour, infantry, air & artillery in a combined op dependent on terrain/weather/opposition etc - the sub units allowed this subtlety. I fear a big east front division slugging match will be just as dull as all the other big east front division slugging match games (both PC & board) that exist out there.
Why not use the existing system to do North African scenarios or some other interesting theatre at the existing scale rather than just trying to create something that will be just another monster game - as unplayed as it is unplayable.

I can assure you maybe a bit here since I have just played a PBEM test match with Cameron. And the level of "monsterness size" of DC3 feels slightly below the level of DC2 to me.

The new focus on the "multi-part" armies works very well and gives, at least me, the same enjoyment as I used to have with handling the multi-part divisions. And it did not feel like a slugging match, but yes: it is a different scale and type of game than DC1/DC2. Some things are abstracted like the air war and artillery support. But I think its a nice and different experience that still allows you to make the different branches cooperate, just on a different level.

Since I am a rather small outfit and having to support lots of different games and create a completely new engine (shadow empire) as well one of my goals for DC3 is now to have a much simplified editor released by the time of DC3 to allow easier development by scenario designers or third-parties.

Best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to keithrose)
Post #: 22
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 12/23/2014 7:43:13 PM   
keithrose

Thanks for taking the time to reply Vic. I enjoyed (& am enjoying still) the first two games so much I'd hate to see them disappear - they are a breath of fresh air in what was becoming a very samey environment - good games that kept pretty close to the history whilst still being fun to play - a difficult balancing act.

Glad to hear about the scenario editor - I'm sure there'd be a lot of people keen to use the engine to develop their own scenarios & campaigns - would give a great deal of longevity to the game.

Do you foresee any time in the future returning to the DC1/DC2 scale to do any other theatres (current commitments permitting)?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 23
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 12/24/2014 5:49:06 AM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: keithrose

Thanks for taking the time to reply Vic. I enjoyed (& am enjoying still) the first two games so much I'd hate to see them disappear - they are a breath of fresh air in what was becoming a very samey environment - good games that kept pretty close to the history whilst still being fun to play - a difficult balancing act.

Glad to hear about the scenario editor - I'm sure there'd be a lot of people keen to use the engine to develop their own scenarios & campaigns - would give a great deal of longevity to the game.

Do you foresee any time in the future returning to the DC1/DC2 scale to do any other theatres (current commitments permitting)?

NP. Always like to chat and listen to customers. :)
But I dont promise things lightly. I will make up the balance after I finish my current commitments: DC3 and Shadow Empire. I have to see how they will be liked before deciding on new projects.

No lack of ideas though. For example a late ww2 game '44 - '45 is still on my must-do-before-i-die-to-do list. But that would be a monster game in regimental scale. Afrika is also tempting and would be relatively light weight to play (in unit count), but will have to be done maybe at bat level to have the sense of manoeuvre.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to keithrose)
Post #: 24
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 1/2/2015 7:24:50 PM   
scout1

Africa would be a fine choice ..... Limited unit count, freedom of mobility, logistics driven ........

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 25
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 1/2/2015 8:05:55 PM   
gdrover

Vic-
Really looking forward to this one. I really enjoy Barbarossa games, and like others here I would appreciate a game that finds the sweet spot between monster and too simple.
I have all of your other games and have played them often.
Two requests:
1) could you make the counters a bit chunkier (thicker), so that they have more dimension.
This would give them a little nicer of a look and feel.
2) check out the SSG operational games. They have a nifty UI for tactical battles: when the player clicks on the target unit, a screen pops up that shows all of the possible units that can attack, support, etc. as the player chooses them, the odds update. Very useful way to visualize and change the attacks.
Thanks!
Glenn

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 26
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 2/9/2015 8:45:22 PM   
zakblood

-edited by Vic-

sorry zakblood. but we don't want other players (not invited by Cameron) having false hope of being able to join the beta.

< Message edited by Vic -- 2/10/2015 7:15:46 AM >

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 27
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 2/9/2015 9:33:38 PM   
lancer

Hi,

We've already got a full team for the first beta test but there will be another, final beta, later for anyone who may be interested.

Probably jumping the gun applying for that now although you could pm me an expression of interest at any point.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 28
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 6/13/2015 1:07:24 AM   
WilliePete

Vic, can you give us a hint of when we can expect DC3? I'm itching to play something new and Eastern Front focused. Thanks!

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 29
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 6/15/2015 1:15:54 AM   
lancer

Hi WilliePete,

Later this year is looking good.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to WilliePete)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> DC3 Barbarossa Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI