Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DC3 Barbarossa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> RE: DC3 Barbarossa Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 6/15/2015 3:17:32 AM   
trebcourie

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer

Hi WilliePete,

Later this year is looking good.

Cheers,
Cameron

good to hear!

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 31
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 7/8/2015 1:55:18 AM   
ChuckBerger

Dear Vic & Cameron,

I've finally started playing DC1 and DC2, and am really looking forward to DC3. Great games with some really innovative concepts.

Could I enter a gentle plea for some serious attention to the manual, and to the interface?

On interface, I don't have huge expectations as to the graphics in a wargame, and in fact I generally hate the 3D modeled graphics that seem to be all the rage in games like EU/HOI, Panzer General, etc. I far prefer clean, minimalist 2D graphics. Unity of Command is in my view the best ever wargame in terms of its aesthetic style and clean presentation of information.

The DC1 and DC2 interface aren't bad, but not especially good either. Graphic presentation of information on the counters in particular is a dog's breakfast. Different sized, shaped indicators all over the counter, with really ugly repeated icons on the largest counter size. I find it all really non-intuitive.

For instance, I now know, after some searching, that the little square in the bottom right of the counter represents supply status.

Ditto for the cards. There's no reason the effect of a card should not be displayed on the card itself. Instead, there's a general description, but I have to click and then hover over the card to see what it actually does...

There's are lots of examples like this of where a bit more attention to user-friendly, clear presentation of information would really help the game.

Perhaps one of the most important interface improvements would be something like a combat adviser, to explain the various modifiers that will apply during a combat. I don't mean something that would give you expected losses or chance of victory (I like that those remain unknown to the player, as in real life), but something that says "your panzers will get a -50% penalty for attacking into urban terrain, and a further -23% penalty for their poor readiness, and a +17% bonus for leadership ... etc etc ... for a total modifier of -xx%". This would really help the player to get a hand's-on feel for what really matters in combats.

On documentation, I found the DC1 manual to be really very substandard. DC2 was only marginally better.

Two examples: first, I start up the First Panzer Army linked campaign. No description of how the campaign works. Do my losses in scenario one carry over to scenario 2? What about experience gains? And for the Russians? Or is each scenario basically stand-alone, with only prestige and political points carrying over?

Second example: take the concept of "readiness". I know it's important, but nowhere is there a clear explanation of (a) what it represents in real life (supply state? Or organisation?); (b) how it differs from other concepts like supply and integrity; (c) what it affects in game; and (d) what things can cause it to change in the game. The manual should have a section headed "readiness" that explains all of this. Ditto for each variable in the game.

Finally, there is some sloppiness in translation to English in the game. I wince every time I read "Systematical finetuning" during the AI runs! No such word as "systematical"...

Hope you don't mind the blunt feedback on these aspects of the game. I've taken the time to put these thoughts down because I am really enjoying the game, and want the next one to be even better.

C

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 32
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 7/8/2015 5:59:48 AM   
Vic

@Chuck,

Big thanks for your precise feedback. Its not blunt its honest.
As always it serves as inspiration and I'll put it to good use where possible.

At least I can already tell you for DC3 I am working on new counter graphics.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to ChuckBerger)
Post #: 33
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 7/24/2015 8:17:08 AM   
76mm

I just had this game pointed out to me (thanks Wodin!), will be keeping an eye on it. Generally it sounds like an interesting take on the campaign, I also hope that it works better than WitE...

< Message edited by 76mm -- 7/24/2015 9:17:29 AM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 34
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 7/24/2015 5:56:25 PM   
wodin

No problem:)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 35
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/6/2015 8:23:10 AM   
Gribeauval

This game seems interesting.

- Will the player be able to reallocate a division belonging to an army to another army in DC3 ? It is not mentioned in your blog.

- I don't see in the various screenshots of the game the button allowing a strategic move by rail of a unit. Will the player still move a unit using a railroad ?

- In a screenshot, I can see a report about the german siege train. Is the siege train abstracted ? Is it a unit on the map ?

- In another screenshot, there is a "propaganda film" decision. What is it ?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 36
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/6/2015 12:06:10 PM   
lancer

Hi Gribeauval,

Army integrity is enforced as befits the games focus on realistic Operational Command.

Direct strategic rail movement isn't a feature. It's handled by a different mechanic that provides the same effect but cuts down on fiddliness. Rail is very important.

Siege Artillery was originally fully abstracted but it proved to be a step too far so there is now an actual unit and quite a lot of mechanics surrounding it. When the unit is relocated it's removed from the map and returns only when it arrives at it's location. Your relationship with General Gercke (in charge of Rail) has a big impact on how quickly and efficiently the siege train will transit from A to B. The Soviets can fortify and garrison major cities and these can prove difficult to take if you aren't willing to bleed your Panzer Divisions. Siege artillery is a way around this but some advance thinking needs to go into deployment and rail routes.

The propaganda film decision is a fun one. The Minister for Public Enlightenment, Reichsminister Goebbels, is requesting that you accommodate a film crew at your headquarters for the purposes of showing the people back home how the war is being prosecuted. Refuse the request and you'll upset Goebbels. Agree to it and you're in for some disruption.

Cheers,
Cameron

< Message edited by lancer -- 8/6/2015 1:08:00 PM >

(in reply to Gribeauval)
Post #: 37
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/23/2015 1:07:30 PM   
Gribeauval

Thanks Cameron.

- In the product description, I have readen this sentence : "Order your individual Divisions to report their status."
Does it mean that you won't get automatically all the infos that you need when you will click on a division counter (readiness, experience, ...)??
Will you have to request a report that will come next turn ? Can this report be a false one ? Will there be a kind of friendly FOW ?

- I have another question : during the first turn, in the german army, will all officers have a neutral attitude towards the player ? Can you have some of them acting as personal enemies independantly of the war conduct ?

- Could you also in your blog give some (quick) infos about the artificial intelligence ?

- Will the russian army use some naval units to cut the naval baltic supply line or to operate in the black sea ?

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 38
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/23/2015 11:29:16 PM   
lancer

Hi Gribeauval,

quote:

- In the product description, I have readen this sentence : "Order your individual Divisions to report their status."
Does it mean that you won't get automatically all the infos that you need when you will click on a division counter (readiness, experience, ...)??
Will you have to request a report that will come next turn ? Can this report be a false one ? Will there be a kind of friendly FOW ?

All the information you mention is readily available without asking for a report. There is a wide range of additional information that appears as a result of a report, depending on the status of that particular unit. If you have selected a unit you can request a full report via a single click of a special, quick access button.

German reports are accurate and timely. Request for Soviet reports can result in a communication breakdown and no information arriving. The Soviet player has the ability to improve their command and control systems during the game to minimise this happening.

quote:

- I have another question : during the first turn, in the german army, will all officers have a neutral attitude towards the player ? Can you have some of them acting as personal enemies independantly of the war conduct ?

There is a detailed system in place that allows you to start the campaign with a 'past history' or relationships with other officers. There's an option to switch this of if you'd prefer to a nuetral approach.

quote:

- Could you also in your blog give some (quick) infos about the artificial intelligence ?

The blog posts have had to be put to one side as time doesn't permit it. The AI is being fine tuned as we speak but it's already at a higher level than what you'd expect. Looking good.

quote:

- Will the russian army use some naval units to cut the naval baltic supply line or to operate in the black sea ?

The naval side is dealt with abstractly as it played a minor role. The Germans have the ability to run convoys up the Baltic and can order the Luftwaffe to protect them.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to Gribeauval)
Post #: 39
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/24/2015 12:11:45 AM   
budd

will more info on the game be coming soon since its going into beta? Maybe an AAR or video lets play from a beta tester.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 40
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/24/2015 2:04:36 AM   
lancer

Hi Budd,

We'll be doing both but probably not for a bit due to other matters that need to take priority such as the manual.

Final artwork won't be for another month so we'll probably hang off until after then.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 41
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 8/24/2015 2:46:20 AM   
budd

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to it.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 42
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 10/4/2015 5:40:30 PM   
freeboy

release date ?
Are we still looking at 2015 date or is it now a 2016 release time table ?

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 43
RE: DC3 Barbarossa - 10/5/2015 5:49:55 PM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

release date ?
Are we still looking at 2015 date or is it now a 2016 release time table ?

The mother of all questions :)

Lets just say its rather going to be sooner than later. We are working like hell.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> RE: DC3 Barbarossa Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI