Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Japanese land in OZ!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Japanese land in OZ!! Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 5:58:40 PM   
Lokasenna

Gotta disagree with ya, Lowpe. Given where Kane's forces are flung, I don't think he'll have much in the immediate vicinity of Palembang. Even if he flies PA and TR aircraft units to Singers to fly in troops, he'll only have so many to fly in, and that takes a few days. A week is an awful short length of time to get reinforcements to Palembang if the units are at Moulmein, Victoria Point, Bangkok, etc. The garrison requirements in Java and Malaysia aren't large, and I'd say it's probable that MrKane has met them with not much beyond.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1141
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 6:04:36 PM   
Lowpe

Well, I am in the minority here...and I am prepared to eat crow!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1142
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 6:12:32 PM   
Sangeli

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister
You are such a pessimist!

I hope by then I can have a more potent Naval LBA force. So if he leaves Fiji with the KB...he would also have to deal with the subs if it leaves. And my BBs will stay back...too slow. So we might end up having some BB battles down there.

I agree this is a crazy optimistic thing but it CAN work. All he has in a SNLF and a tank RGT. He canīt fly in any heavy equipment and Iīm rolling loads of Grants/Lees in the assault. We all know the engine doesnīt deal very well with massed armor and his SNLFs have really bad Anti Hard values. And his tankettes...well...you know.

For now Iīll continue with the OP. All its costing me right now is time. I can always abort at any point and with the entire IJN in the SOPAC I canīt do anything there anyway. With the allied fleet in the IO we can certainly have some fun with KB away in SOPAC. Right?

Burma, Sumatra, Adamans...3000 unrestricted AV + the troops I brought for the PB raid. Should be 5000 AV or so. Even if I donīt go ahead with the OP I can probably find some work to do anyway. Right?

Tom clearly wants SOPAC. I canīt stop him having his way there so I might as well do something elsewhere.

I have to strongly agree with Lowpe here. You have to march on Palembang without any LBA. Mind you Palembang is in 3x terrain and has forts and you have to cross a river. Japan will have over a week to reinforce before you can even begin and you'll be marching under LBA attack. I've seen other AFBs try Sumatra in 1942 and failed despite initial surprise. I understand the urge to do something I just don't think you're ready for Sumatra regardless of how much AV you have. Even if Tom goes hard in the SoPac he still will have enough in reserve to block you in Sumatra and then IJA reinforcements can arrive at will unopposed until you're off the island.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1143
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 6:18:34 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sangeli

quote:

You are such a pessimist!

I hope by then I can have a more potent Naval LBA force. So if he leaves Fiji with the KB...he would also have to deal with the subs if it leaves. And my BBs will stay back...too slow. So we might end up having some BB battles down there.

I agree this is a crazy optimistic thing but it CAN work. All he has in a SNLF and a tank RGT. He canīt fly in any heavy equipment and Iīm rolling loads of Grants/Lees in the assault. We all know the engine doesnīt deal very well with massed armor and his SNLFs have really bad Anti Hard values. And his tankettes...well...you know.

For now Iīll continue with the OP. All its costing me right now is time. I can always abort at any point and with the entire IJN in the SOPAC I canīt do anything there anyway. With the allied fleet in the IO we can certainly have some fun with KB away in SOPAC. Right?

Burma, Sumatra, Adamans...3000 unrestricted AV + the troops I brought for the PB raid. Should be 5000 AV or so. Even if I donīt go ahead with the OP I can probably find some work to do anyway. Right?

Tom clearly wants SOPAC. I canīt stop him having his way there so I might as well do something elsewhere.

I have to strongly agree with Lowpe here. You have to march on Palembang without any LBA. Mind you Palembang is in 3x terrain and has forts and you have to cross a river. Japan will have over a week to reinforce before you can even begin and you'll be marching under LBA attack. I've seen other AFBs try Sumatra in 1942 and failed despite initial surprise. I understand the urge to do something I just don't think you're ready for Sumatra regardless of how much AV you have. Even if Tom goes hard in the SoPac he still will have enough in reserve to block you in Sumatra and then IJA reinforcements can arrive at will unopposed until you're off the island.

This game is in a fundamentally difference place than those other games, though.

Tom's forces are committed to such an extent in Oz/SoPac that he can't have enough in reserve in the DEI area to successfully reinforce against a landing of this magnitude.

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1144
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 6:19:30 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Do you realize how many torpedo bombers he can put over Tavoy at this date?

What, those torpedo bombers won't be at Singers?

But I do agree that Palembang is important, and to lose it before 1943 even starts would indeed be staggering to Japan. And it is probably held very lightly, and the garrison requirements aren't huge in Singers, Java area.

But it is nasty terrain, has some level of forts, will be reinforced with the everything Mr. Kane can throw into it and since he is in the process of building up his Burma front there will more than you realize.

You guys can have the final word...agree to disagree so to speak.

I hope it does work, because it would be fun to watch, and cause JFB to be a little less wild in the openings.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1145
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 6:35:15 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sangeli

I have to strongly agree with Lowpe here.

Say that again!

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1146
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 6:43:37 PM   
Sangeli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
Tom's forces are committed to such an extent in Oz/SoPac that he can't have enough in reserve in the DEI area to successfully reinforce against a landing of this magnitude.

How much has he actually committed? I see a lot of units planning for action in the SoPac but where are they right now? Unless they are on the ground they can be anywhere. Sure the KB is there but he doesn't need the KB for Sumatra (although it would certainly help).

At the very least Joc needs to get a good headcount on whats in Singapore. That is the most likely jumping off point of Japanese reserves. If it's really empty then *maybe* this can work. But then again Tom would have at least a week to reinforce Palembang meaning any LCU aboard ships within 30 hexes would be able to get there BEFORE the assault.

I guess if Joc does go for it I will certainly enjoy watching the result, whatever happens

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1147
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 6:51:04 PM   
EHansen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Well, I am in the minority here...and I am prepared to eat crow!

I also agree with you. I think this will turn into a disaster.
I don't feel that initial LCU's will be the problem. I expect
many amphip ships to be sunk before they unload.

< Message edited by EHansen -- 8/28/2014 7:53:12 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1148
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 6:58:37 PM   
JocMeister

Sangeli, Lowpe.

You both bring up very good points. Iīll try and go through Intel Monkey and get a fix on whats in the area. As I said before this is not set in stone. But right now shifting focus to the IO seems like a good idea. The Samoans are rock solid and I think Fiji will be safe for now. His bombardments are not doing much damage. He is limited to 1 AF and he must wait for prepp. The landing will be bloody enough for him anyway. Trying to land without 100 prep is just pure suicide. I tried that against weak opposition a couple of times late in the war and 50%-70% disablements seems to be normal even with 50+ prepp.

With the KB + navy and most of the IJA in the area it doesnīt make much sense hanging around. Had I not lost Sara I might have considered seeking battle under my own LBA. But not now. It will take me about a month to transit to the IO. Much can change in that time of course. But even if I cancel the PB operation there are plenty of targets around in the area. And with the KB deep in SOPAC Iīm sure there are loads of opportunities to be had there. Iīm already prepping for targets in Burma. Might get a good opportunity to do something there. 2nd British is arriving right now and that is a nice boost. Donīt forget that the forces slated for PB can be used to reinforce any beach head around the IO.

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1149
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 7:28:41 PM   
Sangeli

quote:

With the KB + navy and most of the IJA in the area it doesnīt make much sense hanging around. Had I not lost Sara I might have considered seeking battle under my own LBA. But not now. It will take me about a month to transit to the IO. Much can change in that time of course. But even if I cancel the PB operation there are plenty of targets around in the area. And with the KB deep in SOPAC Iīm sure there are loads of opportunities to be had there. Iīm already prepping for targets in Burma. Might get a good opportunity to do something there. 2nd British is arriving right now and that is a nice boost. Donīt forget that the forces slated for PB can be used to reinforce any beach head around the IO.

Yes, those are some good points. With the KB in the SoPac there isn't much use sticking around and just waiting for things to happen. Burma is usually a good spot to fight in 1942 as the Allies; you can trade heavy air losses here to get the VP score more even. And clearly based off your intel it looks like Japan is going to bring more LCUs to Burma as well. The only issue I see that with China falling it makes the Burma road irrelevant - except in bringing Japanese LCUs over the mountains from China. But that won't happen for at least a few months so if you want to secure yourself in Burma, earlier is better than later.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1150
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 7:48:57 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: EHansen
I also agree with you. I think this will turn into a disaster.
I don't feel that initial LCU's will be the problem. I expect
many amphip ships to be sunk before they unload.

Jocke is pretty darn good at amphib landings -- he does them quickly and well; so that is actually the least of my worries.

He is also careful enough to pull back if spotted too far out.

No foul preparing for this operation, 90 days is a long time away, and a lot will happen between then and now.

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 1151
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/28/2014 9:14:21 PM   
JeffroK

As a good general, go through a couple of other landing plans, Paramushiro, Hokkaido, Java, Timor.
(I would vote against Sumatra, but dont see anything better if you have to do something.}

There might be a better target.

Wherever you land, take lots of SeeBees and get an airbase up and running quickly, I know airframes are at low numbers but dont be scared of landing a squadron at a base without AV support, they'll survive for about a week but give much needed CAP.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1152
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 12:08:10 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

This game is in a fundamentally difference place than those other games, though.

Also, Jocke is willing to lose the LCUs. Canoerebel was not. He came to stay.

Japan often over-estimates how much damage its bombers can do to marching troops who have AA with them. It's not great, but it's not crippling. You aren't talking about bombing Chinese peasant divisions here.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 8/29/2014 1:11:26 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1153
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 12:47:23 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

Japan often over-estimates how much damage its bombers can do to marching troops who have AA with them. It's not great, but it's not crippling. You aren't talking about bombing Chinese peasant divisions here.

I think most IJ bombers will be targeting the ships, some on the troops for intel and to slow them down some.

Of course, one he finds out the amount of flak there...and if Jocke's carriers provide adequate CAP over the ships landing junk, it could be quite the aerial bloodbath.

Post #: 1154
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 12:52:45 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

And he takes Bangkok. So what? Nothing there but some HI and a supply dump

I am not sure how to get to Bangkok given this position but I have to answer that Bangkok is much more than a supply base.
Because of the open plains of Thailand -- seizing Bangkok means being able to pummel the IJ in the open hexes.
USA Armor cuts through like butter until the jungle hexes of Vietnam. Once at Hanoi southeast Asia is untenable and China is open for the taking.

N=2 ...

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1155
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 1:01:11 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

I am not sure how to get to Bangkok given this position but I have to answer that Bangkok is much more than a supply base.
Because of the open plains of Thailand -- seizing Bangkok means being able to pummel the IJ in the open hexes.
USA Armor cuts through like butter until the jungle hexes of Vietnam. Once at Hanoi southeast Asia is untenable and China is open for the taking.

N=2 ...

My thoughts there, also it is a huge airbase that threatens a lot of DEI and China.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1156
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 1:04:05 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

N=2 ...

None of that is true in June 1942.

The Moose

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1157
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 1:07:18 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

I think most IJ bombers will be targeting the ships, some on the troops for intel and to slow them down some.

Of course, one he finds out the amount of flak there...and if Jocke's carriers provide adequate CAP over the ships landing junk, it could be quite the aerial bloodbath.

If he sub-divides the troops into enough ships he gets enough ashore in a day. Sub-divide into many TFs and the targeting algos throw up.

People around here are too in love with carriers. It's possible to wipe your nose without a birdfarm to hand you the hankie.

This is a smash and grab, hey-diddle-diddle-right-up-the-middle suicide mission. That's all. That's it. Jocke can rebuild the LCUs. Palembang, if torched, is out of the war.

It's 70-30 against this works. In any game not already waaaaaay over auto-vic I'd say it's crazy. In this game it's not crazy.

The Moose

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1158
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 1:09:42 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

N=2 ...

My thoughts there, also it is a huge airbase that threatens a lot of DEI and China.

Guys, guys . . .

It's the summer of freakin' '1942!!! Jocke doesn't HAVE huge air forces to put at huge airbases. All these people hand-waving "well, attack Timor, or attack Java, or attack Hokkaido, or, or, or . . ."

Are they playing the same game as the rest of us?

It's not about attacking "something." It's not about "draw him away." It's not about feints. It's about throwing in the kitchen sink to take down the one (1) gotta-have strategic target the Allies have any hope of reaching in June 1942. STRATEGIC TARGET.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 8/29/2014 2:13:25 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1159
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 4:39:14 AM   
JocMeister

As Bull says the point is not to permanently stay. In an absolute dream scenario I will land unspotted on Day 1 race for PB, wreck it and be gone by D+16. More likely outcome is that I will never be able to get the troops out though.

If things stay unchanged as they are now with a massive Japanese focus in SOPAC this could work. But as I said before lots of things can happen in that time and 95 days is a very long time. And if I have to scrub the landing Burma is certainly an option. While Tom has heavily reinforced it he would be very heard pressed facing over 3000 allied AV including heavy tanks.

For now the aim will be to make the operation happen. If it doesnīt we will come up with something else.

Post #: 1160
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 6:54:23 AM   
JocMeister

1st July -42

So a new month. Air wise nothing too exciting. The B17E is replaced by the B24D which gives me a bit of better range.

------------------------
China
------------------------

Chungking is turning out to be a nice little VP generator for Tom.

quote:

Ground combat at Chungking (76,45)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 9018 troops, 754 guns, 758 vehicles, Assault Value = 1425

Defending force 95690 troops, 155 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2451

Allied ground losses:
685 casualties reported
Squads: 17 destroyed, 37 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

In the East the IG ID blast its way towards Paoshan. No problem pushing aside a 450 AV Corp dug in with level 3 forts in x3 terrain. Have no hope of holding on to Paoshan as supply is 0.

------------------------
Burma
------------------------

Iīm moving engineers forward and start building up the airfields close to the border. This will take a while though as engineers are very short in the theater.

Tom has done some sweeps but Iīm not meeting them right now.

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

Tom has stopped bombarding Nadi and looks to be moving towards Brisbane. Guess he still wants Brisbane... Still no sign of KB. Could he have started moving them towards the HI and the 7/42 refits?

------------------------
Air War and PDU OFF.
------------------------

Still to early to try and make any kind of assessment. But so far its been a PITA for me. This has especially hurt the training program. You have to be REALLY careful on what you upgrade. Once you do you cannot "undo" it. So if you later find yourself wanting those P39s you upgraded to? Nope.

Want to use those lovely P38s? Nope. Only 1 unrestricted squadron can use the "E" model and 1 the "F" model.

Want to use all those nice USMC DB squadrons that arrive? Ah, they upgrade directly to the SBD-3 version. Same as your CVs...this while you have 58 SBD-2s in the pool. But the SBD-2 can only be used by some of your CV squadrons. Did you upgrade those to "3s"? Aaaw too bad! Now you wasted 50 DBs...

I canīt tell you how much of a headache this is. I made so many mistakes and I will continue to do them. Iīm very, very, VERY careful when upgrading stuff. Its fun though.

A good example of why this is much better for the game: My P39s have done some heavy fighting in OZ lately and I want to spread the load on the pools a bit more on the P40. I now actually have to ship the planes and squadrons there. No magic move!

I want to use the P38E. Yep...you guessed it. I have to SHIP the ONLY unrestricted squadron that can use it to wherever I want it. That squadron is actually a very good example of the dangers with PDU OFF and upgrading. Its the 51st/25th FS that actually starts with 4 P38s. At the time I moved them to India I didnīt have nowhere enough "Es" to fill the squadron out. So I almost upgraded them to the P40Es which is their next upgrade. Good thing I didnīt or I would never have been able to use the P38E at all...

I know most people believe PDU OFF is an instant win button for the allies. After playing for 8 months I still donīt agree with that. That opinion might change the further we get though. But as I look through tracker right now I can see for example I will by flying P39s, Mowhawks and Lancers well into 43. Some of 13th USAAF (SOPAC) P39s donīt upgrade until the P38J comes online in 12/43! I have at least one P39 Squadron that doesnīt upgrade until the P47-25 (44/3).

So it does go both ways. But the big difference is that PDU ON together with the ability to control the industry make Japan an immense powerhouse. This is taken away to an extent by PDU OFF. The Japanese side still gets almost unlimited numbers but can no longer focus and drive ahead a few extraordinary models like the Tojo, Frank and George and rely solely on those.

Another HUGE benefit of PDU OFF is that is will slow down the pace of the air war considerably. At some point in the game a limitation was added on how many AC can be drawn as replacements. I think its 12 per week? This is easily bypassed by simply downgrading and then upgrading the model (can be done instantly in PDU ON). This means that a FS could be annihilated to the last plane only to be fully recover 4-6 days later. Now it would take around 10-12 days instead.

Your 36 plane CV DB squadron got shot to pieces? See you in 25 days or so instead of 5.

The teleporting planes are also gone. I remembered when my first batch of 75 P47 arrived in my game with Erik. I simply downgraded them to P39s and 2 days later I had 75 P47s in Burma. This can no longer be done. The planes have to be moved there physically.

As I said I may very well change opinion about PDU OFF as the game progress but right now the only feel Iīm getting is that "this is how its supposed to be" feeling. Things are making sense all of the sudden. And at least so far the air war is looking exactly as it does with PDU ON. Tom is kicking my butt in the air war during this critical Japanese expansion phase.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 8/29/2014 8:00:58 AM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1161
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 9:21:22 AM   
JocMeister

Burma

Here is a screen of Burma. No incursions over the border from either side. Some scattered sweeps from Tom. Iīm not meeting them right now. This will change in couple of weeks. Iīm still relying solely on the RAF and the AVG here.

Problem is that AVG will withdraw in 4 days and I donīt have anything to fill the hole with right now. USAAF is on their way though. 125 P40s are unloading at Karachi but I need to give the pilots more time to train.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1162
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 9:42:30 AM   
JocMeister

Fiji/Samoans

Tom hasnīt done any bombardments in a while. It now looks like he is pulling out this massive TF towards Noumea.

quote:

Night Naval bombardment of Nadi at 131,160

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato

DD Yanagi
DD Karii
DD Yomogi
DD Tsuta
DD Susuki
DD Kiku
DD Hishu
DD Tsuga
DD Numakaze
DD Namikaze
DD Nokaze
DD Tachikaze
DD Hokaze

Not sure if he simply cannot sustain the fuel and supply drain or if he finally realized he wasnīt getting any results with them. Iīm moving the poor 21st MAG back to Suva. Poor guys need a rest.

Iīm leaving this area alone for now. They are strong enough to last for months on their own and if Tom comes I will have lots of time to react. Some smaller AUX ships are moving back towards Pago Pago but the bigger ships will stay hidden down at Tahiti for now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 8/29/2014 10:42:47 AM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1163
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 10:33:28 AM   
aztez

That PB operation is an gamble. I would say you have 15% chance to succeed and 85% chance of failing big time.

Various reasons behind it...

* It takes time to gather troops and unload them
* You don't have air supremacy nor can you support your invasion TF's.
* It takes time to march through the roads and you will be blasted all the way down there...
* You sure he has not moved out extra INF divisions from China? ..that place is gone so he might have tactical reserves in place.

...than again IF that succeeds than it is definately worth the effort.

As said it is an gamble and it will pay big time or end miserably... if you were already enroute there I would give it 50/50 chance of success.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1164
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 10:35:53 AM   
Lowpe

I really enjoyed reading your review of pdu off from the Allied perspective.

From the Japanese side there is one area that it may really help Japan: that is supply preservation. In general a slower tempo air war and the war in general, and a more balanced approach to building planes and r&d. At least that is my take.

As Japan, I never use the downgrade/upgrade option to rebuild units as it costs supply. You can, if the unit is divisible, break it down into thirds, reinforce each third with 12 planes, and then rebuild the squadron all in the same turn with 36 planes in reserve.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1165
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 12:34:00 PM   
JocMeister

3rd July 42

Very little to report!

------------------------
Burma
------------------------

Tom tries a massed LRCAP/Sweep combo. We do a little better then I expected.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Chittagong , at 55,41

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 27 NM, estimated altitude 34,190 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 49
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 18

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 43
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 2 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 2 destroyed
Hurricane IIc Trop: 2 destroyed

At the end of the day we shoot down 14 Oscars and 2 Nicks for only 7 own losses. No pilots lost.

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

The Bombardment TF has indeed withdrawn to Noumea.

Thats about it!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1166
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 12:38:25 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

I really enjoyed reading your review of pdu off from the Allied perspective.

From the Japanese side there is one area that it may really help Japan: that is supply preservation. In general a slower tempo air war and the war in general, and a more balanced approach to building planes and r&d. At least that is my take.

As Japan, I never use the downgrade/upgrade option to rebuild units as it costs supply. You can, if the unit is divisible, break it down into thirds, reinforce each third with 12 planes, and then rebuild the squadron all in the same turn with 36 planes in reserve.

I know Loka did some rough and dirty calcs on how much supply that was saved on factory conversions alone. Its wasnīt anything earth shattering but it was pretty considerable. But when you add in all the other things Iīm sure it will be pretty considerably!

Will be interesting to see how Toms supply situation looks later in the war.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1167
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 12:58:15 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Especially considering moving BB's and the KB so far from home. This is an insidious draw of fuel and the invasions
including the need to support is a draw of supplies.

This link http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2874485&mpage=40&key= finalizes my first exploit into Thailand.
It was in June 1943 not 1942 as the Moose points out but the plan started in 1942. The fundamental strategy was
to let the IJ expand themselves and use operational resources early. There are some key bases that need to be built up
for a Burma central offense. But once the strategy moves forward it takes a huge redeployment from the IJ to stop
and a lot of supplies.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1168
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 1:31:07 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

quote:

Especially considering moving BB's and the KB so far from home. This is an insidious draw of fuel and the invasions
including the need to support is a draw of supplies.

This link http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2874485&mpage=40&key= finalizes my first exploit into Thailand.
It was in June 1943 not 1942 as the Moose points out but the plan started in 1942. The fundamental strategy was
to let the IJ expand themselves and use operational resources early. There are some key bases that need to be built up
for a Burma central offense. But once the strategy moves forward it takes a huge redeployment from the IJ to stop
and a lot of supplies.

Thanks! I already read your AAR twice I think but Iīll check up on the Burma Invasion again.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1169
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 2:16:56 PM   
paullus99

Certainly, if you are able to arrange for a couple of diversionary attacks to take place in the weeks leading up to the Hail Mary, then it is possible to draw his reserves out of position to allow the main attack to proceed with less opposition.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1170
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Japanese land in OZ!! Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI