Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What and Where can Constructors build?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What and Where can Constructors build? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What and Where can Constructors build? - 6/4/2014 3:17:42 AM   
warzer

So I am confused about base types they can build and it seems to vary depending if on planet or space. So after searching and not finding anything I figured I would ask.

So I read that whatever it can construct it must fit in its cargo hold. True?

when trying to see if certain bases can fit how do I determine size?
I tried counting resources but that didn't change anything as my largest base is 1962 total resources and cargo is 6400 on my current constructor. It does not seem to be Size in the design menu as all are well under my cargo hold size. Does it have to be smaller than my construction ship?

Other more generic question, what is a good cargo bay size on a constructor?
I used to make it huge but found it never used it.
Post #: 1
RE: What and Where can Constructors build? - 6/4/2014 3:30:14 AM   
tjhkkr

Hello,
Look at your ship design screens. On the top, you will see the maximum size base a construction vessel can create away from a planet...
Next to it is the larges sized hull you can build at a starbase.
At level 2, it is about size 900 for a construction vessel, and about 300 for a ship built at a starbase.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to warzer)
Post #: 2
RE: What and Where can Constructors build? - 6/4/2014 3:51:58 AM   
Raap

The cargo hold on the constructor effectively decides whether it'll need resupply during construction or not. WIth a huge hold it can take all the resources needed with it, with a smaller hold it might have to put construction on hold while your private sectors brings in the needed resources.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 3
RE: What and Where can Constructors build? - 6/4/2014 4:05:36 AM   
warzer

so at current my max base size away from colony is 1950 according to the design screen. How much cargo space would be needed for a base that size? All but my large space port are well below that size. Yet they do not show up on the constructions right click build menu.

< Message edited by warzer -- 6/4/2014 5:06:58 AM >

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 4
RE: What and Where can Constructors build? - 6/4/2014 7:21:02 AM   
Bingeling

I don't think an empire constructor can build a spaceport. Apart from that, it should work given size limits.

As for cargo space, without using any fancy info anywhere. Check your freighters. Find one that appears full of stuff (that could be more or less hard...) Notice how much resources it carries. Notice how many cargo bays it has (from the design). Note the number of cargo bays and the amount of resources it carries.

Then check the base design. Press the construction summary button approximately below the central table. Try to eye measure the total amount of resources. With the resources/cargo bay ratio observed in the full freighters, figure out if your construction ship has enough.

Just in case gases take less space than other stuff, maybe try to find a full freighter of non-gases. That could be even more hard than a full one in general...

Returning mining ships could be a good candidate for this test, btw, they should return when full.

(in reply to warzer)
Post #: 5
RE: What and Where can Constructors build? - 6/4/2014 8:39:12 AM   
fenrislokison

since the "where" of the title hasn't been answered:

constructors can build anywhere, except in foreign territory (if i remember right).
That includes planets, moons, stars, black holes, supernovas, gas clouds or just deep space.

Be careful about supernovas since they emits rays that grinds the shields of a station, plus, it kind of hard to figure where exactly to put a station (research for example) and benefit from the science bonus (if any).

Be even more careful about black holes, since you could end up with a eaten station if built too close or no bonus if built too far.

Supernovas and black holes also don't provide energy for solar panels (as far as i know), so as a rule of thumb, i don't build anything around those... too must complication for too few benefit generally ^^

As far as i know, there is no limit to the number of stations you can put on a space object (there should obviously be one relative to the size of the object), but i usually go with only one station, except for the time when a planet gives science or resort bonus in addition to the resources, in which case i put 1 mining station and one resort or science station.

You cannot put more than one research station on a planet. Every time i tried, the constructor took the order, but failed to built a station next to an existing one.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: What and Where can Constructors build? - 6/4/2014 2:06:55 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: warzer
so at current my max base size away from colony is 1950 according to the design screen. How much cargo space would be needed for a base that size? All but my large space port are well below that size. Yet they do not show up on the constructions right click build menu.

That is a good sized base. You should be able to build some nice defensive bases and or monitor stations.

Someone farther below says your cannot build a starbase, and that maybe true.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to warzer)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What and Where can Constructors build? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI