Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/15/2014 7:39:47 PM   
Japhet

Well, there are skull pillars on the Khorne and Rak'gol diplomacy button, which both tasteful and appropriate. Also the imperial colony button features a nice 2ed one...Yeah, that's not enough, I agree. In all seriousness, I was thinking of using some skull images, purity seals and stuff like that for archievements and generic ui symbols. I will look into it once I'm finished with the race art.

In regards to character portraits, their size should be properly matched. The character role symbol tends to disapear if the image is too large. Personally, I use 184 x 208 measurements.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 361
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/15/2014 7:41:31 PM   
Capshades

Google Drive has like 15 gigabytes free with any gmail account, works fine for me. Just make sure to set the file permissions to public.

Losing all that art really detracted from it haha

< Message edited by Capshades -- 9/15/2014 8:49:37 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 362
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 12:55:03 AM   
mensrea

Joking or not, gratuitous skulls are always a welcome addition. I will also be trimming up all the pictures for the character update. I have a ton of pictures for imperial characters, some for the other major races, and none for the minors. Poor minors.

Cap, it wasn't an issue of storage space, it was an issue of bandwidth. So either it got real popular real fast, or someone just sat there and downloaded the same file hundreds of times, though I would hope dropbox has ways of preventing stuff like that. Either way I will find a way to restore stuff. In the meantime you can always just get the GEM mod or copy over your old mod folder. I didn't remove anything I, Japhet or Phocian made, just the stuff from the graphical enhancement mod.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 363
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 3:12:37 AM   
Capshades

Combined with GEM, it's still 100mb short of the last version. Was it all music?

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 364
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 8:09:24 AM   
Japhet

Finished the Interex pack, thanks to Blackstork's work. Sadly, it doesn't contain any skulls . Also the Interex in this mod do not use the same ship set as the xhumans, so some of the icons a not accurate, but that shouldn't be an issue.

http://wh40kart.im/post/list is usually a good source for 40K art, both official and fan made.

I've a lot of Ork portraits, but I hesitated to use all of them, because I wanted the art style to be consistend. Maybe the next update of the combined pack will feature more Ork portraits.

Edit: I posted a newer, better Interex pack further down. It's in post #: 387

< Message edited by Japhet -- 9/19/2014 12:45:16 AM >

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 365
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 3:33:47 PM   
Japhet

Finished the Auretian pack, again thanks to Blackstork.

Edit: Same here, go to post #: 387.

< Message edited by Japhet -- 9/19/2014 12:45:57 AM >

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 366
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 4:02:44 PM   
Locust71

I get error: could not load required image \images\units\races\race_25.png when i put version 11 over version 10.

Playing v.10 = ok
Playing v.11 = ok

Combined = error

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 367
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 4:57:47 PM   
Locust71

Did some testing on v.11 custom games, and checking in editor. Setting rival empires to max.

Dark Eldar never show up as rival empire, (If i dont play them myself) instead i get a second random empire. So there can be 2 laer, or 2 jorgall and so on. Just random but no dark eldar. Pirate dark eldar can be many.

Also Hrud never show up. (In fact i think i have never seen any hruds. Ever. Custom game or not.)

Edit: I changed them both to "can be normal empire" and "can be playable". They now correctly show up as enemy empires when i check with editor

< Message edited by Locust71 -- 9/16/2014 6:39:34 PM >

(in reply to Locust71)
Post #: 368
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 7:08:56 PM   
Japhet

quote:

I get error: could not load required image \images\units\races\race_25.png when i put version 11 over version 10.

Maybe that image got corrupted. I remember seeing something like that mentioned in the Star Trek mod thread.

quote:

Dark Eldar never show up as rival empire, (If i dont play them myself) instead i get a second random empire. So there can be 2 laer, or 2 jorgall and so on. Just random but no dark eldar. Pirate dark eldar can be many.

Also Hrud never show up. (In fact i think i have never seen any hruds. Ever. Custom game or not.)

That's strange. I just checked and they certanly show up. Did you set the races to auto generated? Because then, it could just be bad luck.

Also, you should never put a newer version of a mod over an older one, unless the mod creator says so (and even then it's not always recomented). Not just with Distant Worlds, but with any game. Simply delete the older versions first, that will spare you much trouble. Trust me, I learnt that the hard way.

(in reply to Locust71)
Post #: 369
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 9:03:44 PM   
Locust71

Yes, autogenerated and max amount. Usually gives one empire of each race.

Yupp. That is my experience too. But mensrea said:
In the meantime you can always just get the GEM mod or copy over your old mod folder.

I have not downloaded GEM mod yet. I will give it a try tomorrow

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 370
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 10:25:46 PM   
Capshades

Haven't gotten GEM to work with WH40K, the ships get overwritten and the planets have really weird Deathstar-like shadows. I'm only using the galaxy background right now.

(in reply to Locust71)
Post #: 371
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/16/2014 10:44:41 PM   
mensrea

Cap - The music alone was around 120 mb. As for the GEM issue, try just loading up
landscapes, planets, ruins and stars. I also had the issue with shadows at first but cannot recall what I did to fix it. I will take a look in a bit to see about providing better instructions.

Japhet - Thanks for the art (and I will be sure to thank and credit Blackstork as well). And yes, we have a real problem with art consistency in general.

Locust - Yes, I did set canbenormal to N for Dark Eldar and playable as N for Hrud. The Hrud were a kneejerk addition to fill an empty spot and will most likely be overwritten in one of the coming updates. Dark Eldar were restricted from being a normal empire because they really aren't a normal empire, just a bunch of marauders. I do encourage people to play how they want though, so kudos for changing that stuff according to your desires.

I did suggest overwriting stuff this time so that's my bad. There was an issue with two pictures of the Necron race that gave me some trouble with the last update, but I didn't get a crash just an error when trying to select races. I'm also not sure why its just not overwriting the duplicate images with the correct images like it should be.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 372
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 1:23:33 AM   
Japhet

Sadly, It's really hard to find good artist with enough 40K pictures for an entire race. For minor races it's almost impossible unless you base the looks of them on something from another franchise.

Speaking of, here are 40K's Borg, the Olamic Quietude. Well, mostly Borg with some Star Wars battledroids and Matrix machines thrown into it. The only thing I'm not happy with are the troops. I wasn't able to proper recolour them except for the special forces.

Personally, I would leave the Hrud in. They are one of the most well known minor races in 40K and certainly among the most disturbing ones.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 373
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 11:31:58 AM   
Loyal_Viggo

@Mensrea - my thanks to you and all else who are working on this mod, it's really superb.

However, I have a question. I installed mod version 10 (which is now removed?) and have encountered the Necrons, and by the Beard of Zeus their starbase/starport at their homeworld is INVINCIBLE. I have an Eldar fleet sitting there giving it all they have and it just won't explode. It doesn't fight back, it just takes it like a champion and says "Thank you sir may I have another?".

Is this a bug? Is there some kind of Necron immunity to weapons that I'm not familiar with?

Cheers, Loyal Viggo

EDIT - @Mensrea, your name reminds me of something from a Richard Pryor / Gene Wilder movie, is that where you got it from?

< Message edited by Loyal_Viggo -- 9/17/2014 2:26:08 PM >

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 374
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 2:32:02 PM   
Locust71

I want more races, so please please please don't remove the Hrud

(in reply to Loyal_Viggo)
Post #: 375
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 6:18:53 PM   
Capshades

@Loyal_Vigo, they have nearly invincible race-specific armor, and lots of it on their stations. I attacked one with a 15 ship fleet of 800+ firepower capital ships, and it took me several minutes to destroy it where as normal stations almost die instantly. I suggest trying gravity weapons.

< Message edited by Capshades -- 9/17/2014 7:21:49 PM >

(in reply to Locust71)
Post #: 376
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 6:34:24 PM   
mensrea

Japhet - The Quietude is actually one of my favorite races, not sure why, so thanks for that. Those ships look really good, where di you get them?

Viggo - Thanks man. The name was used in a Richard Pryor movie, but its actually two words in Latin, mens and rea. I think the issue with the necron orbitals is this "SpaceportArmorStrengthFactor ;3.0". I will be changing that to 1.0 for the next update, and I apologize for that. Cap is right though, gravity beams will tear just about anything apart as they ignore all shields and armor. I may even have to tone those menaces down a bit.

I will leave the Hrud in and also set them to playable. Hell, why not.

I also wanted you guys to check this out. I am completely rebalancing races, again, or at least the minor ones. It will work according to the following system. This isn't finished yet but if anyone wants to weigh in on how it looks so far, go for it. It can only help me make it better.

I.Classes
A.Major Races
-Major races are designed and balanced according to their lore.

B.Minor Races
-Minor races are designed according to a combination of lore and speculation. Minor races fall into one of three classes.
1.Tech
-Tech races primary objective is to coexist or slowly expand. They are more concerned with internal affairs than wider galactic affairs and their abilities and disposition tend to up hold this philosophy. Namely, their focus on research and development and general rational caution defines them.
-Tech races: Auretian, Interex, Jorgall, Kinebranch, Megarachnid, Quietude

2.Trader
-Trader races range from gregarious traders to greed driven maniacs. They will seek out unions with other races, avoid war at all costs, and generally focus more on expanding their power through soft means aided by their enormous incomes.
-Trader races: Diasporex, Ghassulia, Kehletai, Scythian, Stryxis, Tushepta

3.Expansionist
-Expansionist races reproduce more than they think and their societies are built around acquiring more and more land and resources. They are constantly on the look out for new territory and are not afraid to fight for it. However, they tend towards leisure more than science, trading or war, and are more than willing to look for a fallow planet rather than risk lives over occupied ones.
-Expansionist races: Gykon, Hrud, Lacrymole, Laer, Tarellian, Vrakk

II.Legacies
A.Fat
-Can't use fighters
-Can't do deep cover or inspire revolts
-Bigger ships
-Tougher troops

B.Warriors Legacy
-Cheap troops
-Better troop transports
-Immediate access to cheap military academies

C.Subversive Legacy
-Sensory Camoflage (cloaking component)
-Better Special Ops
-Immediate access to Special Ops
-Immediate access to cheap intelligence academies

D.Defenders Legacy
-Immediate access to Planetary Defense Forces
-Better Planetary Defense Forces
-Immediate access to cheap planetary shields

E.Spacefaring Legacy
-Exotic Engine (engine component)
-Exotic Vector (vector component)
-Compressed Fuel Pods (fuel cell component)
-Immediate access to cheap admiral academies

F.Cybernetic Legacy
-Cybernetic Command Node (command center component)
-Immediate access to cheap science academies

G.Robotics Legacy
-AI Targeting System (targeting component)
-Repair Drones (repair component)
-Immediate access to cheap robotic troop factories

H.Psyker Legacy
-Psychic Amplifier (detector component)

I.Resilience
-Deep Space Survival Module (colonization component)
-Immediate access to all planetary colonization tech

J.Genetic Modification Legacy
-Cloning Center (medical component)
-Immediate access to double growth rate at all colonies

K.Traders Legacy
-Trading Complex (commerce component)
-Pleasure Complex (recreation component)

L.FTL Legacy
-Exotic Drive (warp component)

III.Disposition
A.Aggressive
-Aggressive races are defined by their drive to conquer. This urge manifests itself more in their behavior than their actual abilities, which vary wildly. The only thing for certain about these races is that they cannot be bargained with, reasoned with, or expected to show any restraint or mercy. They will use everything at their disposal to destroy their enemies, especially bombardment. They do not hesitate to engage in warfare, even it if means betraying allies.
-Aggressive races: Dark Eldar, Eldar, Imperial, Lacrymole, Laer, Mechanoid, Megarachnid, Necron, Ork, Quietude, Scythian, Shakturi

B.Passive
-Passive races are either so diverse and sporadic or so keen on their own image that there are certain acts of war which they consider taboo or forbidden. They will never bombard or destroy worlds and are unlikely to start wars and much more likely to form alliances and defensive pacts.
-Passive races: Diasporex, Kehletai, Stryxis, Ghassulia, Tushepta, Kinebranch

C.Defensive
-Defensive races do not start wars, they just aim to finish them and will use bombardment to do so.
-Defensive races: Auretian, Interex, Jorgall, Tarellian, Vrakk, Gykon

IV.The Numbers

A.Races

1.Reproduction Rate
i.Family
-Machine: +10%
-Eldar: +15%
-Human: +25%
-Mammalian: +28%
-Reptilian: +35%
-Insectoid: +40%
-Orkish: +46%
ii.Class
-Major: +4%
-Minor: +0%
-Tech: -2%
-Trader: +2%
-Expansionist: +8%

2.Intelligence
i.Family
-Machine: 150
-Eldar: 140-150
-Human: 90-140
-Mammalian: 80-130
-Reptilian: 70-120
-Insectoid: 60-110
-Orkish: 50
ii.Class
-Major: Depends on lore
-Minor: +0
-Tech: +30
-Trader: +10
-Expansionist: -10

3.Aggression
i.Family
-Eldar: 60-150
-Human: 90-150
-Mammalian: 60-150
-Reptilian: 100-150
-Insectoid: 120-150
-Orkish: 150
ii.Class
-Tech: +0
-Trader: +0
-Expansionist: +10

4.Caution
i.Family
-Eldar: 130-150
-Human: 80-150
-Mammalian: 70-140
-Reptilian: 60-130
-Insectoid: 50-120
ii.Class
-Tech: +30
-Trader: +10
-Expansionist: -10

5.Friendliness
i.Family
-Machine: 50
-Eldar: 50-100
-Human: 50-150
-Mammalian: 100-150
-Reptilian: 50-120
-Insectoid: 50-100
ii.Class
-Major: Based on lore
-Minor: +20
-Tech: -10
-Trader: +30

6.Loyalty
i.Family
-Machine: 50
-Eldar: 50-120
-Human: 50-150
-Mammalian: 80-140
-Reptilian: 50-100
-Insectoid: 50-80
ii.Class
-Major: Based on lore
-Minor: +20
-Tech: +0
-Trader: +30

7.Bonus Traits
-Minor races may put up to 70 points total into the following bonus traits. Major races may put up to 200 points total.
-Distributed according to major/minor, tech/trader/expansionist and aggressive/passive/defensive.
-Lore should be taken into consideration when applicable.
i.Ship Maintenance
-Major (at least 30; at most 70)
-Aggressive (at least 20; at most 50)
-Expansionist
-Tech (at least 10; at most 50)
-Cybernetic (none)
ii.Resource Extraction
-Tech
-Trader
-Expansionist
iii.War Weariness
-Major (at least 30)
-Aggressive
-Expansionist
iv.Satisfaction
-Tech
-Trader
-Passive
v.Research
-Tech
-Defensive
vi.Espionage
-Aggressive
-Expansionist
-Defensive
vii.Trade
-Trader
-Expansionist
-Passive

8.Ship Design
-Distributed according to major/minor, tech/trader/expansionist and aggressive/passive/defensive.
i.balanced
-Tech
-Defensive
ii.agility
-Trader
-Passive
iii.power
-Aggressive
iv.efficiency
-Expansionist

9.Weapon Preference
-Determined by overall design and availability
10.Defense Preference
-Determined by overall design and availability

11.Ship size bonuses
-Minor races may put up to 20 points total into the ship size bonuses.
-Expansionists get 40 extra points.
-Points cannot exceed 50 in either category. Greater than 50 will receive larger ship tech line.
-Lore should be taken into consideration when applicable.
i.Civilian Ship Size
-Trader
-Expansionist
-Passive
ii.Military Ship Size
-Tech
-Aggressive

12.Construction Speed

14.Troop Strength-

15.Victory Conditions-

16.Tourism Income-
17.Trade Income-
18.Migration Rate-
19.Regeneration Rate-

A.Policy

1.Gifts-
2.Sanctions-
3.Counter Intel-
4.Espionage Thresholds-
5.Bombardment Thresholds-
6.Harassment-
7.Population Policy Same Race-
8.Population Policy Different Race-
9.Homeworld Defense Weight
-Almost always .5 to 1
10.Resource Control Weight-
11.Alliance Priority-
12.Subjugation Priority-
13.Tourism Priority-
14.War Willingness-
15.Break Treaty Willingness-
16.Invasion Overkill Factor
17.Ship Battle Overkill Factor-
18.Military Flee Factor-
19.Capture Ships-
20.Capture Bases-
21.Bid On Pirate Attack-
22.Bid On Pirate Defense-
23.Enlist Military-
24.Enlist Civilian-
25.Enlist Bases-

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 377
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 6:53:15 PM   
Loyal_Viggo

@Capshades - thanks for your reply, I'll try gravity weapons.

@Mensrea - You have suggested alot of changes, and I'd like to provide input but I've only logged 5 odd hours with the mod so far. My only balance issue that threw me off was the Necron issue, but my game is young. I'll post more questions if I have issues.

I had a question, if I install 11.0 will that be save compatible or should I wait until the next version is out and start a new game?

I'm having alot of fun with the mod, thanks for taking the time with it. I really have no idea why o why GW won't let someone make a Battlefleet Gothic game or something.

< Message edited by Loyal_Viggo -- 9/17/2014 7:54:52 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 378
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 7:47:45 PM   
Japhet

Yes, I was wondering that too. Battlefleet Gothic was one of best and most fun games they made. There were one BFG mod for Empire at war and several attempts for Sins of a solar empire, but they all were never finished, except for one sins mod that is still in development. Speaking of sins...

quote:

Those ships look really good, where di you get them?

They are Kalthaniell's work, which reminds me that I should probably credit him...
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2845072

They are actually based on the vasari from Sins, but I turned them upside down. They are also part of the extended universe mod, were the Keskudons use them. I actually wanted to give the Quietude Borg ships as kind of a joke and use these ships as an alternative for the Dark Eldar, but in the end I decided against it. The Borg ships were assimilated into the Quietude ui instead.

(in reply to Loyal_Viggo)
Post #: 379
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 8:50:00 PM   
Blackstork

Nice advance guys!
Mensrea, you shoudl really consider slight selective automation with excel for building puproses. Your data is very structured, i think this could be great, esp if you add characters in picture. Latter offer alot of diversification and bonuses which are not aviable via other means - and you can do it simple just by trait only patterns , thru excel, and this could do massive impact. I am not sure if you know what i mean but if you do, this could be nice way to organize and automate for you abit. At least with your points-for-traits - this coudl work both for race trait and for character traits with excel nicely, as well as some other parts.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/17/2014 9:51:27 PM >

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 380
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 9:04:18 PM   
Capshades

Here's a ship comparison chart I found a while back, just rediscovered it. Has 30+ warhammer ships on the left half. Unfortunately they're all side-view, but it could still come in handy if japhet or someone else needs inspiration.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Size-Comparison-Science-Fiction-Spaceships-398790051

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 381
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 9:24:16 PM   
Capshades

So I'm getting some weird bugs. I have a patrol cruiser design that uses all anti-matter propulsion/vectoring. I have enough energy collectors to meet static energy needs, and just enough power generators to cover weapon + hyperdrive energy needs. Yet when these cruisers get into combat they run out of power. Is this my design's fault or are the A/M engines using normal power?

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 382
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/17/2014 10:30:58 PM   
mensrea

Viggo - You can use v.11 with your v.10 savegame, but it won't have any effect on it. Savegames continue to use the settings of whatever they were started with. I don't think it will have any negative effects.

Japhet - To me it seems like GW focuses more on their table top dvision and not enough on other forms of media. They have like what, 2-3 writers who occasionally release books? I may be wrong about that, but they are definitely lacking in the video game dept. The Dawn of War games got me into the lore in the first place, and others could probably say the same.

Blackstork - Funny that you mention that as as soon as I finished that document I just posted I started moving everything into excel. It definitely does make it a hell of a lot easier to compare races and stuff. I was thinking though, what if races were just given a certain amount of points that were then able to be distributed across all categories. Sort of like how race creation in games like Endless Space and Master of Orion's work. That would even open up the possibility of players putting together their own races without wondering if they are balanced or not.

I will definitely be using excel for everything from now on, especially characters.

Cap - Antimatter engines should not be using any power at all aside from static draw, which explanation wise is the amount of power needed to run particle colliders. Sounds like an error of some sort, as I find it unlikely that you designed the ship incorrectly. I will look into it further.

All - I wanted to ask if anyone had issues with the way I designed engines. I always hated the distinction between cruise speed and emergency speed. To me, if I was piloting the ship I would probably always go as fast as I could, assuming it wasn't too much more inefficient that way.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 383
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/18/2014 2:56:38 PM   
Locust71

Yeehey! Hrud will stay Just whish they could be made more annoying as they are in the lore

I'm not allowed to post links, but check warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Hrud

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 384
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/18/2014 3:07:44 PM   
Cyrtis

I've been away from the intertubes b/c I just moved. But I'm back. And I'm loving the new eldar. Esp the Dark eldar; they strike a good balance between ultra-spying, and generally lousy governance.

Is it heresy to run Imperials on a democractic gov?

(in reply to Locust71)
Post #: 385
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/18/2014 4:10:26 PM   
mensrea

I'm not sure how to make the Hrud more annoying other than to make them overpowered or something. Can you elaborate?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cyrtis

I've been away from the intertubes b/c I just moved. But I'm back. And I'm loving the new eldar. Esp the Dark eldar; they strike a good balance between ultra-spying, and generally lousy governance.

quote:

quote:

Imperials on a democractic gov?

Also, I'm not sure about what to do with Dark Eldar. I'm not sure if spying is appropriate. They are really good at enslaving people, torturing people, and generally being miserable and angry. Not sure what that can translate into, trait wise.
They definitely have really bad governance though, it's pretty much anarchy held in check by fear of getting killed, tortured, or both.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 9/18/2014 5:13:19 PM >

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 386
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/18/2014 4:27:54 PM   
Blackstork

Characters. There more traits. You can add Bad traits like Unorganized as constant pattern and skills with negative corruption, happiness diplomacy. Need just find (also in characters scope ) what to give. Check Beyond Keskudons and Dlakars . They are not anarchic though (Keskies close bc of WOD, Dlakars havw their supperiority where others than Larka are food which can work) but they show how I solved enslaver races using all tools available. Anarchy may mean low maintenance and WW and great corruption , low income and approval. Enslaved force could show in ship construction speeds and costs making them low.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/18/2014 5:30:05 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 387
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/18/2014 11:31:54 PM   
Japhet

I reworked the Auretians & Interex and finally finished the Diasporex. I wasn't really sure what do do with them, but then I remembered another 4x game I played a while ago: Endless Space. A good game, but more style over substance, because what makes this game stick out in comparission to other 4xes is it's artwork. So I "borrowed" some of the artwork for the 'rexes and the Auretians and I'm quite satisfied with the result.

The best part is that some races (and ships) in ES are clearly inspired by WH 40K: the United Empire is, well the Imperium of Man, the Sheredyn are its Space Marines, the Cravers are a mix of Necrons and Tyranids (though not nearly as scary) and the Hissio are what the Kroot would be if they drooped the cannibalism and adopted the Bushido code.

quote:

Here's a ship comparison chart I found a while back, just rediscovered it. Has 30+ warhammer ships on the left half. Unfortunately they're all side-view, but it could still come in handy if japhet or someone else needs inspiration.

Heh, I already have this chart (and similar one) saved on my pc. Very interessting indeed, but sadly not much to work with...except maybe the Kroot sphere, now that I see it... Thanks anyway. If you come across some ship pics that are top-down and halfway decent looking, please let me know.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japhet -- 9/19/2014 12:38:43 AM >

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 388
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/19/2014 7:00:30 AM   
Capshades

After very extensive google research, I have come to the conclusion that no one has ever conceived the idea of drawing the top view of ships. You, sir, are making history.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 389
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/19/2014 10:06:20 AM   
Japhet

Näh, I didn't make any of these ships, I just stole them.

Speaking of, here are the Scythians. They are described as warrior monks in the lore, so I based them on the Githzerai and Githyanki from DnD. I think it's kinda fitting, since most major races in 40K are actually fantasy races with some scifi tropes attached to them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japhet -- 9/19/2014 5:29:02 PM >

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI