Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
[Poll]

Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it?

Yes, where do I send the check?
  56% (78)
Yes, but it has to do or have X before I invest.
  8% (12)
Maybe
  14% (20)
No, I'm not a fan of grand tactical WW2 action.
  1% (2)
No, the world does not need another WW2 game
  19% (27)

Total Votes : 139

(last vote on : 3/20/2018 12:35:58 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/17/2014 10:08:52 AM   
Phoenix100

How much do you want? I'll buy.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 31
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/17/2014 10:14:14 AM   
nemo7

Definitely

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 32
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/17/2014 4:37:11 PM   
hazmaxed

quote:

What would a good WW2 version have to have for you to drop some coin? Please comment.

Here is my "wish list" for a WW2 version. These would not all have to be available from a single release.

1. European/African and Pacific/Asian theaters covered.
2. Amphibious assaults and naval gunfire.
3. A reasonable mix of famous and less well-known battles/campaigns.
4. More "small' scenarios than are currently available in FCRS.

This being said, I would stiill probably buy a WW2 version, even if it did not have all of my wish list.

There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 33
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/17/2014 10:34:50 PM   
Mad Russian

When the basic unit is a company it's pretty hard to make small scale battles. That should be easier in WWII because there is usually much less support to add in.

I see a LOT of comments for those wanting smaller scenarios. I just don't see any forthcoming from you guys. I've done some things with scenarios over the years. I once made a 4 turn CMBB scenario on a bet that I couldn't do it. Got pretty high marks.

Smaller scenarios in a modern setting is small because of the response times and ability for both sides to escalate the action.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 7/17/2014 11:37:36 PM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to hazmaxed)
Post #: 34
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/17/2014 10:44:47 PM   
DoubleDeuce

I would think with smaller battles you are going to lose a lot of the maneuver aspect, especially with modern tech and units able to wipe out other units in a very short time frame.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 35
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/18/2014 12:28:21 AM   
wodin

I'd want Platoon scale. 200m or 250m hex. Early East front and Early West Front. Say covering the War from Sep 39 to Dec '42. Then three more games one for East Front '43 to 45. The other the allied invasion onwards on the West Front, Africa from June 40 to end of War and Italy. Finally a Pacific War game (would need special amphibious assault mechanics, jungle warfare rules and make it interesting which might be difficult with slow attritional jungle fighting.

Make them serious monster games. So you get pretty much the war done in four games. You could then afterwards do mini expansions\DLC focusing on particular units in a particular battle\operation.

< Message edited by wodin -- 7/18/2014 1:33:11 AM >

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 36
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/18/2014 12:37:41 AM   
Plodder

What I would like to do with the WWII version is recreate the battles from the Red Gambit series. For those who haven't heard of it, it's a series of novels set in a WWIII that starts in 1945.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 37
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/18/2014 3:00:56 AM   
Cafe

WW2 with the FCRS engine tuned to a smaller hex size to take into account the closer engagement ranges and for better terrain matching of historical scenarios.

Rather than campaigns, a country based system of phased releases like the old SL/ASL boardgame series with attendant maps would make for a good business model in terms of release and profitability.

Besides, the WW2 era has always been popular. As a fan of most wargame eras, I wouldn't hesitate adding another WW2 title, especially with the FCRS WEGO play style.

Spin off a dev group and do it lads - you know it makes sense!

Be nice.

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 38
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/18/2014 7:09:04 AM   
76mm

I would definitely buy any East Front or North Africa titles released. D-Day/Market Garden/Bulge or Pacific Theater, probably not.

(in reply to Cafe)
Post #: 39
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/18/2014 10:42:26 AM   
Hexagon

Well, i think the WWII is overexploited BUT only in certain battles there are a lot of interesting battles simple not covered (i think in Berlin, Budapest, the Pacific...).

In other thread you ask for period... well, maybe is possible join all options in a single title, WWII east/west+fresh and open situation... WWIII in 1945 like The Plodder says, is not a bad option you have WWII feeling but in something "new" and very open, you can addapt it as you want like ass germans in west allies and you can set battle area where you want or who is the attacker you can create west attacking campaing or west defending campaing, same for east side.

As i say now is not my primary target a WWII based in FPC engine i prefer see a middle east title before jump to the "old friend"

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 40
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/18/2014 2:46:53 PM   
SwampYankee68

I love this game, but I'm satisfied with Command Ops as far as WWII goes. I'd much rather you did a near future version of this game engine.

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 41
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/18/2014 11:13:52 PM   
budd

Pacific.... infantry model would have to be fleshed out.
North Africa...make for an interesting campaign with this engine. How to deal with the axis logistical challenges.

I know the bulge is over done and i really don't much care for playing the bulge at bigger scales, but with this scale and the wego thing i might be interested.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 42
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/18/2014 11:50:45 PM   
CapnDarwin

Not sure how you "flesh out" the infantry model at a per squad basis. Tracking per person is not really something we need as pointed out elsewhere. Maybe some form of combat effectiveness could be tracked as a pseudo-manpower tracking without getting all hung up with per person overhead. I guess I would need some time to wrap my head around a more infantry-centric model that doesn't bog at our scale. The good thing is we do have time to work the ideas.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 43
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/19/2014 2:42:52 AM   
budd

I don't mean tracking per person at all Capn, at least i don't think so. but wouldn't you as part of combat effectiveness have to track individual casualties in such infantry heavy actions? i wonder if the infantry based action would bog the action down to the point of affecting players enjoyment of the game. There's alot you guys are going to have to wrap your heads around for the switch to WW2 i'm trying to fathom how the orders cycle will work in WW2...i mean what if they cut the phone wires.......runner...get me a runner up here Either way you've got my money with what ever you put out. I'm just kinda partial to WW2 as i like to refight histories battles with a chance to change the outcome. Maybe its just my lack of exposure but i haven't really enjoyed a modern game until i played this one. Not to be crude...but this system is the sh*t. If you don't want to go to the pacific something around Kursk would be ok with me too...... I think MR is familiar with the area.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 44
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/19/2014 1:15:26 PM   
Hexagon

Maybe you can reset the votation??? i vote for far east because was my 2nd option.

Thanks.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 45
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/19/2014 1:21:38 PM   
Hexagon

Infantry mode.... well in my case i refer to have squad with a certain value in firepower/soldiers when you attack an infantry unit you can score firepower reduction or kills in soldier numbers this made damage over squads be less black and white you can see more grey areas and infantry units survive maybe the same but with a more step by step system in casualties area, apart this is more easy in big actions add a reinforcement system for damage squads because you only need refit the "squad" that is a simple container.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 46
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/19/2014 3:00:14 PM   
kipanderson

Double Deuce, hi,

Did not mean to ignore you, but during the week sometimes have very little time...

What about concerns that hexes that large would negatively affect the game's manoeuvre aspect given the shorter ranges of early war equipment?

That is true but I am after a version of the game that is a cross between the traditional operational game and the traditional 250m hex, tactical game. I would like to see shorter ranges for fire power.

Having said all of the above, still very much enjoy the game as it is.. but although amazed by the fun and quality in my first few play throughs... instantly thought less rushing around and more waiting for the operational results to come in... then adjusting the plan would be a plus.

All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 47
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 7/19/2014 3:57:05 PM   
Mad Russian

The fire and maneuver should end up being about the same with hex scale cut in half. There is a quote that 800 meters is a good range for a German gunner. This was at Kursk and the unit was equipped with PzKw IV's. With 250 meters per hex that's a normal 3 hex engagement range. With the current scale we the good engagement range is about 4 hexes. So, not much difference. Not enough to be concerned with I'm hoping. With a smaller scale I would think that you would see maneuver be about the same as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 48
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/20/2014 6:36:12 PM   
Akmatov

I voted yes, errr YES! The reason is the excellence and openness of the FCRS system. Yes, there are a lot of WW2 games out, but how many GOOD games/simulations? You make it, I buy it.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 49
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/21/2014 1:10:22 PM   
TAKODA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Akmatov

I voted yes, errr YES! The reason is the excellence and openness of the FCRS system. Yes, there are a lot of WW2 games out, but how many GOOD games/simulations? You make it, I buy it.

You hit the nail square on the head mate. No doubt all of us here have a long history of playing WW2 games, we've played pretty much every decent WW2 game ever developed, but this game engine is different, it's transformed the way battles are played out. In short I think it would be an absolute waste not to cover WW2.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 50
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/21/2014 1:53:32 PM   
MikeGER

WANT

i think the most tricky part is to get the scale right
so that on one hand the typical grand tactical "FlashPoint Campaigns feeling" :-) keeps intact!
but on the other hand not all combat - with exception of 88 vs. tanks - is happening in 1 hex distance

and if you chose a smaller scale then 250 m, some people will surly start demanding 'non abstract single houses' and it went in the direction of ASL
so i think 250m or maybe 200m is good scale.

< Message edited by MikeGER -- 8/21/2014 2:55:02 PM >

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 51
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/21/2014 2:31:41 PM   
CapnDarwin

MikeGER, the plan is to be able to tell the game engine that we are playing on either 500m hexes for modern era or 250m hexes for WW2 era fights.

(in reply to MikeGER)
Post #: 52
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/22/2014 1:32:04 PM   
SwampYankee68

Captain, if you were to do WWII, is it possible to set it in the pacific? I ask because if I were to see another WWII game I'd want it set in the pacific. There is a dearth of good Pacific Theater wargames as compared to the European Theater.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 53
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/22/2014 1:50:36 PM   
CapnDarwin

We could go anywhere. The biggest problem I see, is more conflicts to cover then hours and manpower to do them all in a timely fashion. Something we will need to figure out as we go along.

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 54
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/22/2014 1:58:13 PM   
SwampYankee68

Well, that is my vote. You've seen the number of comments about the WWII wargame market being crowded, setting at least your initial offering in the pacific would set it apart. I really liked Tiller's Campaign game set in the pacific - Rising Sun I believe. My 2 cents, anyway.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 55
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/22/2014 3:36:31 PM   
Mad Russian

The really good news would be once we get the WWII scale done the community could then go wherever it wants. It doesn't have to wait on us. The OOB/Orbats are all moddable. Maps are being done daily. Many of the maps for Germany are the locations of WWII battles as well. As the library of maps grows so will the versatility of the system.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 56
RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? - 8/28/2014 5:19:03 PM   
ComColonel

I would buy it, but would prefer to see the Modern Era (post WW2) fully covered first.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI