Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 7:35:47 PM   
ian77

Whisky in Scotland
Whiskey in Ireland (not as good as Scotland's)
Anywhere else... doesnt really count...

Slàinte!! from Speyside

< Message edited by ian77 -- 5/9/2019 7:36:26 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 151
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 7:45:34 PM   
AW1Steve

In bourbon , anything Weller (Weller 12 being my favorite). In Scotch , Anything in the Highland Park Valkyrie line, or Lafroig . In Irish , probably Middleton , Japanese Hibuki, and Canadian....well it doesn't matter. That's pretty much "making love in a canoe" whisky.

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 152
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 9:40:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ian77

Whisky in Scotland

Slàinte!! from Speyside

Many very good Scotch whiskeys, but they are expensive over hear. Currently sipping Oban on occasion but at $100 + a bottle it is used only when I really need it!

My English uncle who was married to my Irish aunt recommended Black Bush as the go-to Irish whiskey but I never got to the distillery on my whirlwind tour of Northern Ireland. Any opinion on that, ian77? BTW, I don't think Black Bush was intended as any sort reference beyond shrubbery.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 153
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 10:38:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Whisky in Scotland

Slàinte!! from Speyside

Many very good Scotch whiskeys, but they are expensive over hear. Currently sipping Oban on occasion but at $100 + a bottle it is used only when I really need it!

My English uncle who was married to my Irish aunt recommended Black Bush as the go-to Irish whiskey but I never got to the distillery on my whirlwind tour of Northern Ireland. Any opinion on that, ian77? BTW, I don't think Black Bush was intended as any sort reference beyond shrubbery.

I can speak to the wonderful properties of Black Bush (the whiskey, dude, the whiskey). Very nice. My favorite in the Bushmills line. Jameson's 1780 used to be widely available, and excellent, but I haven't seen it in a while. My wife bought me a $125 bottle of Middleton back in the day for my birthday. Best I ever had. The whiskey, dude, the whiskey (not my birthday).

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 154
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 11:32:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

My wife bought me a $125 bottle of Middleton back in the day for my birthday. Best I ever had. The whiskey, dude, the whiskey (not my birthday).

Odd - I thought the "Best I ever had" referred to your wife .... don't tell her any different!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 155
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 7:40:25 AM   
candiceflynn666

Anyone tried any indian whiskies?

Amrut single malt?

John Paul?

Part-time gamer. Full time working from home.

Read my latest article here

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 156
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 10:30:24 AM   
btd64

I like Buffalo Trace Bourbon for regular sipping whiskey with friends and family. I save the better stuff for myself ....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to candiceflynn666)
Post #: 157
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 10:48:27 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Monkey on back

Did a great trip and tour of Craigallechie and the surrounding Speyside distilleries (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Glen Grant, Mortlach and a host of others) three years ago. Apparently the name Monkey Shoulder comes from the look of the guys who used to stir the hops on the malting floors with large rakes. Got a bit overgrown in the shoulders and hunched over.

I didn't appreciate blends before this trip, but Monkey Shoulder and a few others got my interest piqued. Since then found a number of good ones. Mitchell's is one of the best I've had.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/mitchells-blended-scotch-whisky/

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 158
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 10:52:15 AM   
Anachro

I thought you couldn't do better than Jim Beam or Jack Daniels.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 159
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 10:54:06 AM   
Anachro

In all honesty, I did a bourbon tour in Kentucky once. Was fun: great place, beautiful, cheap food. Also went to the horse tracks. As for whiskey itself I don't think I'll ever like it enough to have preferences for certain labels.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 160
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 10:56:51 AM   
obvert

The most unique single malts I've tried recently are from the Lost Distillery Company.

They try to recreate the character of distilleries closed many years before. One of the most interesting I tried is the Dalaruan, a Campbletown distillery that closed in 1925 after being in operation for a hundred years!

Odd in that it's got the character of a classic speyside, with caramel and fruits, and very smooth, but the finish of an island whiskey, with peat and a hint of the sea.
http://www.lost-distillery.com/pages/Classic-Selection

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/10/2019 10:59:20 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 161
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 11:03:16 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

In all honesty, I did a bourbon tour in Kentucky once. Was fun: great place, beautiful, cheap food. Also went to the horse tracks. As for whiskey itself I don't think I'll ever like it enough to have preferences for certain labels.

Much prefer Rye to Bourbon. You'll notice the difference!

https://vinepair.com/buy-this-booze/11-best-rye-whiskey-bottles/

For a start try the Bulleit "95" rye.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 162
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 1:12:26 PM   
jdsrae

Just having a wee dram of Oban. Happy Friday!

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 163
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 4:54:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Much prefer Rye to Bourbon. You'll notice the difference!

https://vinepair.com/buy-this-booze/11-best-rye-whiskey-bottles/

For a start try the Bulleit "95" rye.

Crown Royal is brewed at Gimli, about 45 miles north of here. They had a huge demand for the new Northern Harvest blend right after that article from the whiskey expert came out so I got a bottle and tried it. Not bad, but not as smooth as standard Crown Royal rye to my palate.
My son works at a liquor store and he says there are some good bourbons if you spend enough, but the cheap ones are awful. Sounds like that describes most whiskeys!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 164
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 5:43:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I thought you couldn't do better than Jim Beam or Jack Daniels.

Much like many IJ players' thoughts about the wisdom of striking Pearl Harbor first. They're wrong too.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 165
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/10/2019 11:14:35 PM   
ian77

quote:

quote:

Whisky in Scotland

Slàinte!! from Speyside

I hate to admit it, but Black Bush is a pretty good whiskey. But you should all still drink whisky and support Scotlands export trade!

As has already been commented on, taste is a very individual thing, and we should drink what we like not what we are told to like by "experts" - of course we should always be open and willing to try new things (But "whiskey" from Japan or India might be asking just a little too much of some of us Teuchters!) Personally I am a fan of single malts from Speyside and some of the less peaty western malts. Islay just does not do it for me, I always think a piece of burnt wood as fallen into the cask when I taste an Islay malt, but many many imbibers list the Islay malts amongst their favorites. To each their own, but it just means more Glenmorangie and Macallan for me

For the true connoisseur; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFX7z7Wf5xM Leave us our Glens!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 166
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/11/2019 12:11:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whisky in Scotland

Slàinte!! from Speyside

I hate to admit it, but Black Bush is a pretty good whiskey. But you should all still drink whisky and support Scotlands export trade!

As has already been commented on, taste is a very individual thing, and we should drink what we like not what we are told to like by "experts" - of course we should always be open and willing to try new things (But "whiskey" from Japan or India might be asking just a little too much of some of us Teuchters!) Personally I am a fan of single malts from Speyside and some of the less peaty western malts. Islay just does not do it for me, I always think a piece of burnt wood as fallen into the cask when I taste an Islay malt, but many many imbibers list the Islay malts amongst their favorites. To each their own, but it just means more Glenmorangie and Macallan for me

For the true connoisseur; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFX7z7Wf5xM Leave us our Glens!

There's a nice 'pub' near here that serves a wide variety of Scotches. They've provided Scotch flights for sampling. One of which was the strongest Islay malt that they had-just so we could get a feel for it relative to the others. The menu described the reviews on this one as 'like licking a tarry rope' and 'burning hospital'. After trying it, and with all due respect, I wouldn't use that stuff to degrease my engine.

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 167
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/11/2019 3:11:53 AM   
Insano

Wild Turkey 101

Specifically with Diet Pepsi over ice with a slice of orange citrus in for flavor.

Now I made myself thirsty.

I've been wanting to try a Rye but haven't yet. I'll have to do that.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 168
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/11/2019 3:17:20 AM   
Anachro

The best Smoked Old Fashioned I've ever had was at Tanner Smith's in NYC. If any of you get the chance to got here, head over and get it.

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 169
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/11/2019 4:51:20 AM   
Canoerebel

It's kind of weird to admit that I've never had a sip of whiskey or bourbon or related beverages.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 170
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/11/2019 6:29:12 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

It's kind of weird to admit that I've never had a sip of whiskey or bourbon or related beverages.
warspite1

I tried a sip of my Grandma's whisky when I was a kid. I'd never tasted anything so disgusting in my life and I've never been even remotely tempted to try it again.

I wonder if I - or rather my taste buds - would think differently now? But, 40+ years later, I can still 'taste' that like it was yesterday and doubt I will ever try it again.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 171
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/11/2019 8:02:18 AM   
sanch

I had a similar experience with vodka when I was 18 or so; to this day I cannot tolerate the smell/taste/consistency of vodka. Now gin, on the other hand, is just fine by me.

And, for the OP, Jack Daniel's - bourbon is my go-to.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 172
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/11/2019 1:33:40 PM   
BBfanboy

In my younger days, whiskey was definitely to strong a taste for my taste buds. We mixed rye with a lot of 7-UP so there was a lot of sweetness and just a touch of whiskey taste. Around age 35 I started to appreciate the taste of neat or on-the-rocks liquors as my tongue didn't curl at the taste, so I think there is a dying off of taste buds or something like it going on.
Now in my dotage, I can hardly stand sugary drinks or food but love bitter chocolate. It's a natural progression I guess.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 173
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/11/2019 4:36:36 PM   
Anachro

I far prefer a cold beer or wine to hard liquors like whiskey.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 174
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/12/2019 2:45:07 PM   
pontiouspilot

If you can find, it Balbir in the green box is the best Scotch I have Tried in years. If you like one with a bit of bite but not too much peat try Jura’s superstition.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 175
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/12/2019 6:07:52 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

In my younger days, whiskey was definitely too strong a taste for my taste buds. We mixed rye with a lot of 7-UP so there was a lot of sweetness and just a touch of whiskey taste. Around age 35 I started to appreciate the taste of neat or on-the-rocks liquors as my tongue didn't curl at the taste, so I think there is a dying off of taste buds or something like it going on.
Now in my dotage, I can hardly stand sugary drinks or food but love bitter chocolate. It's a natural progression I guess.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 176
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/13/2019 3:36:17 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Bulleit Rye is my go to whiskey. I try to have a bottle on hand at all times. In order to make that happen, I had to find a utility whiskey, and the local Costco came through on that. Kirkland Blended Scotch is amazing--nothing special, but a perfectly presentable everyday tipple. Here's a review. And the best thing a bout it? In a country where the usual booze costs about double the Stateside price, this can be had for about $18 a 1.75 liter bottle. I don't even think you could find it cheaper in the U.S.

I also won a Glen Morangie Lasanta sherry-cask a few months ago in a raffle. Boy, talk about a sublime pour. And my Ardbeg is always there if I need to go full-on peaty.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 177
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/13/2019 1:02:27 PM   
candiceflynn666

Between blue label and Chivas Regal 25-year-old. Which one would you prefer and why?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 178
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/14/2019 3:10:32 AM   
CaptBeefheart

"Hey boss, I found this forum where the members play a computer game that simulates every rustbucket in the Pacific War as well as every flyboy that flew in that conflict. They even start games that take longer than the actual war itself and write something called an 'AAR' about them. There's even a guy who fancies himself a Gorn--you know, like the green thing that fought Kirk?"

"Candace, that's great. Find out what kind of whiskey they like. If this isn't our target market, nothing is."

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to candiceflynn666)
Post #: 179
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/14/2019 12:09:02 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

"Hey boss, I found this forum where the members play a computer game that simulates every rustbucket in the Pacific War as well as every flyboy that flew in that conflict. They even start games that take longer than the actual war itself and write something called an 'AAR' about them. There's even a guy who fancies himself a Gorn--you know, like the green thing that fought Kirk?"

"Candace, that's great. Find out what kind of whiskey they like. If this isn't our target market, nothing is."

Cheers,
CB

If you can keep me supplied with Weller 12 , I'll gladly be your target market. (And your new best friend). While I won't sell my soul outright, (at least for now) , I'll happily discuss a long term lease with an option!

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI