Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> To End All Wars Series >> RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/8/2014 9:27:05 PM   
zakblood

not seen any of those before either, thanks

(in reply to Once Joey)
Post #: 31
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/8/2014 10:28:37 PM   
ETF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Eagle101

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

I wonder how the Panther Engine would do for a WW1 game? Napoleonic charges into .30 cal machine guns. That might be fun on that engine.

Now that is a quality engine. Would be amazing to see it!!

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Raindog101)
Post #: 32
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 1:41:10 AM   
Templer_12

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Eagle101
... Mini-map is completely useless unless viewed with binoculars...

For this I remind to use F7.
The F7 map could be helpful for matured eyes.

< Message edited by Templer -- 9/9/2014 2:43:00 AM >

(in reply to Raindog101)
Post #: 33
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 8:17:50 AM   
Raindog101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bakerstaffel

...a Screen Options Box (see attachment) will appear with ALL the Screen Options needed.

This is a good idea. I found it the first day I had the game. Problem is it just doesn't work.

No matter what combo I use it always goes back to desktop res. You should be able to pick res tap change and it will stay there. It don't. You can change res and leave the window open and play at that res, but the minute you close that window it goes back to desktop res. I've tried every combo and it always goes back to desktop. Am I doing something wrong?

(in reply to Once Joey)
Post #: 34
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 8:19:48 AM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

quote:

quote" We have a v1.01 patch in RC1 right now, but is in beta test at the moment. Everyone is working for you guys. The game is not even a week out, you will be delighted by the future support. AGEOD has made a name in supporting and improving their games in the very long term. Hey, we even expect a PON patch!

As the manual says in page 9, future iterations of the game (patches) will provide other game scenarios as well, both isolated theaters and later dates. Stay tuned!
"end quote

just copied this off ageod forum, shame tbh it hasn't been mentioned here more tbh, as it may have made things less problematic or caused less frustrations with some users etc, as the support is there and coming

Don't the matrix guys (erik rutins comes to mind) still post such things?

Indeed of course we have been paying close attention to the feedback here and over at AGEOD, and have been busy together with the beta testers on implementing some fixes and improvements. We already have made good progress with these, but as the patch is still work in progress, I don't yet want to give a list on what exactly will be changed. :)

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 35
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 8:27:05 AM   
Raindog101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

quote:

quote" We have a v1.01 patch in RC1 right now, but is in beta test at the moment. Everyone is working for you guys. The game is not even a week out, you will be delighted by the future support. AGEOD has made a name in supporting and improving their games in the very long term. Hey, we even expect a PON patch!

As the manual says in page 9, future iterations of the game (patches) will provide other game scenarios as well, both isolated theaters and later dates. Stay tuned!
"end quote

just copied this off ageod forum, shame tbh it hasn't been mentioned here more tbh, as it may have made things less problematic or caused less frustrations with some users etc, as the support is there and coming

Don't the matrix guys (erik rutins comes to mind) still post such things?

Indeed of course we have been paying close attention to the feedback here and over at AGEOD, and have been busy together with the beta testers on implementing some fixes and improvements. We already have made good progress with these, but as the patch is still work in progress, I don't yet want to give a list on what exactly will be changed. :)

Thanks for the reply. Will you be fixing the sceen rez settings?

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 36
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 8:45:56 AM   
Tamas

What do you mean exactly?

(in reply to Raindog101)
Post #: 37
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 8:57:56 AM   
Raindog101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

What do you mean exactly?

When I go into AGEOD settings in the TEAW folder and try to change the game resolution to say 1280x960 it doesn't stick. Closing the window automatically reverts to desktop Rez. I need a lower rez to make the fonts much larger. That and a decent tutorial and I'm good to go.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 38
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 9:39:58 AM   
VPaulus

Once you run the utility again the option displayed will reset to the option "Use Desktop".
However the resolution you have configured before will remain stored in the config file, unless you press Change in the utility, than it will revert to the default one which is your screen resolution.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 9/9/2014 11:03:13 AM >

(in reply to Raindog101)
Post #: 39
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 10:10:05 AM   
Raindog101

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Once you run the utility again the option displayed will reset to the option "Use Desktop".
However the resolution you have configured before will remain stored in the config file, unless you press Change in the utility, than it will revert to the default one which is your screen resolution.

Thank you sir. That's an odd way of changing the screen rez but so far it seems to work. Much thanks!

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 40
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 12:05:39 PM   
zakblood

there you go another happy customer

(in reply to Raindog101)
Post #: 41
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 5:46:59 PM   
Raindog101

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 42
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 10:13:26 PM   
PJL1973

Well that doesn't work for me. In fact nothing seems to work at all on the settings menu.

I'm using Win7 (64 bit) BTW

(in reply to Raindog101)
Post #: 43
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/9/2014 10:28:20 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: PJL

Well that doesn't work for me. In fact nothing seems to work at all on the settings menu.

I'm using Win7 (64 bit) BTW

You can always edit Display.opt (default location: ...\To End All Wars\EAW\Settings)

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 9/9/2014 11:29:59 PM >

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 44
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/10/2014 9:22:54 AM   
PJL1973

Changing the values in there has no effect.

Having said that,the settings folder is very interesting. Already found out you can mod the max zoom factor so you can zoom in further making it easier to separate out units in a region without accidentally merging them back together.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 45
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/23/2014 12:44:38 AM   
HHFD50

For all its shortcomings, the game is good in the sense of its level of detail. No other WWI game ever made comes close. WWI is a tough war to replicate in a game because of all the extenuating circumstances involved, ie. The use of then experimental weapons, the clash of old and new tactics, gas, cavalry, massive amounts of artillery, etc . I think they have done the best of anyone in the genre so far.

(in reply to Once Joey)
Post #: 46
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/23/2014 7:11:31 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: HHFD50
I think they have done the best of anyone in the genre so far.

WW1Gold did that.

(in reply to HHFD50)
Post #: 47
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/23/2014 11:37:24 AM   
Queeg

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

quote:

I think they have done the best of anyone in the genre so far.

WW1Gold did that.

Agreed. TEAW has wonderful artwork and loads of detailed units, but it doesn't really capture the feeling of WWI, at least at present.

WWI Gold does a much better job of modeling WWI - better diplomacy, better recreation of trench warfare, better simulation of combat across a front rather than just stacks, better simulation of the development of new combat doctrines and execution in ground offenses (via the Grand Offensive mechanism).

< Message edited by Queeg -- 9/23/2014 12:38:20 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 48
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 11:22:59 AM   
Haplo_Patryn

quote:

Agreed. TEAW has wonderful artwork and loads of detailed units, but it doesn't really capture the feeling of WWI, at least at present.

WWI Gold does a much better job of modeling WWI - better diplomacy, better recreation of trench warfare, better simulation of combat across a front rather than just stacks, better simulation of the development of new combat doctrines and execution in ground offenses (via the Grand Offensive mechanism).

-1. Sorry guys but I've played both games and I can tell you that TEAW is far better game and far better simulation. Playing two PBEM games now, TEAW is like WWI in all aspects.

Doing an AAR here, you can see that the trench warfare is working fine and the fronts are similar to the historical ones. You should play PBEM games, your opinion about it would change.

http://www.puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16428

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 49
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 12:30:28 PM   
Queeg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haplo_Patryn

quote:

-1. Sorry guys but I've played both games and I can tell you that TEAW is far better game and far better simulation. Playing two PBEM games now, TEAW is like WWI in all aspects.

Doing an AAR here, you can see that the trench warfare is working fine and the fronts are similar to the historical ones. You should play PBEM games, your opinion about it would change.

http://www.puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16428

Very impressive AAR! I just wish the game played anything like that against the AI. I'm a single-play only guy myself, and I can tell you the current AI is a mess and the game presently feels nothing - not even a little - like WWI.

Play both games SP for awhile and see what you think.

(in reply to Haplo_Patryn)
Post #: 50
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 1:15:12 PM   
comte

quote:

For all its shortcomings, the game is good in the sense of its level of detail. No other WWI game ever made comes close. WWI is a tough war to replicate in a game because of all the extenuating circumstances involved, ie. The use of then experimental weapons, the clash of old and new tactics, gas, cavalry, massive amounts of artillery, etc . I think they have done the best of anyone in the genre so far.

I have to disagree with you, Paths of Glory the board game is the best simulation of the conflict I have ever played. This game isn't even close.

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to HHFD50)
Post #: 51
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 2:19:59 PM   
wodin

OK single player WW1 beats TEAW if TEAW can't do it single player and requires human input on both sides to make it play properly it hasn't done a good enough job and the mechanics aren't working properly...I have studied WW1 for many years and have an extensive library..I know when a game plays how it should with regards to WW1.

When it comes to WW1 I'd argue with anyone if I thought they where wrong. I no other subject am I as competent.

< Message edited by wodin -- 9/25/2014 3:23:42 PM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 52
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 3:06:10 PM   
vonRocko

" if TEAW can't do it single player and requires human input on both sides to make it play properly it hasn't done a good enough job and the mechanics aren't working properly"
Well said Wodin, I couldn't agree more. I still think this engine can never model WW1 properly. It feels like ACW in Europe.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 53
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 5:25:20 PM   
Queeg

We'll see how it plays after the patch, but I fear they've made some fundamental design choices that make this game a poor model of WWI combat.

For one, there is no command and control system to speak of - the vast majority of the units have no command structure at all. By limiting the command structure to the GHQ-Army level (and limiting it even further by restricting the number of Armies a GHQ can control), the AI is left with a bunch of independent Corps and Armies. And I see little evidence from my play so far that there is anything in the code that tells the AI how to coordinate them.

For example, suppose you have an Army in Province B and independent Corps in Provinces A and C. A human player will coordinate them even in the absence of any formal command linkage among them. But the AI seems to lack that ability. Start a game sometime and just watch the AI. The first thing it does, almost invariably, is to contract its units, moving its Corps back toward its Armies. Eventually, these Corps usually end up being stacked into an uber-stack, often camped in a single province with one or more other uber-stacks. The AI seems at a loss to handle them any other way.

The AI looks almost like a hand contracting into a fist - which makes sense if the only way the AI has to control its units is to stack them - but it means that "offensives" tend to occur at single points instead of across a broad front.

I've never seen anything resembling a Battle of the Frontiers, but I've seen plenty of Sedans. This game plays like the Franco-Prussian War far more than WWI.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 54
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 6:54:56 PM   
bob.

Unfortunately, to appreciate the game you need to play against other players.

Yes, against the AI it is no WW1 at all and I also had not much fun.

But once you start playing with 2 other players, it is a fantastic WW1 game.

I know it is annoying to hear "just play against other people" when you want to play against the AI! I often prefer sitting down and playing for a few hours instead of always having to wait for the next turn as well. Still, you really can't judge the game by playing against the AI.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 55
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 7:15:40 PM   
Queeg

quote:

ORIGINAL: bob.

Unfortunately, to appreciate the game you need to play against other players.

Yes, against the AI it is no WW1 at all and I also had not much fun.

But once you start playing with 2 other players, it is a fantastic WW1 game.

I know it is annoying to hear "just play against other people" when you want to play against the AI! I often prefer sitting down and playing for a few hours instead of always having to wait for the next turn as well.

My schedule is too unpredictable for me to be a reliable PBEM opponent. I just end up with my computer foes wanting to kill me in real life.

quote:

Still, you really can't judge the game by playing against the AI.

True, but TEAW is unique in this regard. AGEOD's other games all offered an AI and game engine that were plausible for the conflict being modeled. Yes, the human is better than the AI in CW2, but the game engine there at least feels like the CW and AI acts in a manner that is plausible and consistent with that setting.

Here, at present, neither the game engine nor the AI resemble WWI.

I'm pulling for them on the patch, though.

(in reply to bob.)
Post #: 56
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 7:29:32 PM   
bob.

Don't expect any miracles from the patch. It may fix some individual big problems, but it won't make the AI "good".

The game engine really is better at simulating WW1 than you may think at first.
I assume you are referring to the trench warfare part of WW1 because I think the movement war in 1914 works excellent, even against the AI you can see that it produces very believable results.
And the trench warfare part is where the AI really shows its problems from my experience.

Against humans, the trench warfare develops quite naturally when (or, if) neither side is able to decisively beat the other (as it happened in reality!).
I am actually really happy that the game does not have any kind of hardcoded "TRENCH WARFARE STARTS NOW" event or something. It just develops from the game once neither side is able to advance anymore.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 57
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 7:52:48 PM   
Queeg

quote:

The game engine really is better at simulating WW1 than you may think at first.
I assume you are referring to the trench warfare part of WW1 because I think the movement war in 1914 works excellent, even against the AI you can see that it produces very believable results.

My experience with the AI is very different. I've started half a dozen historical campaigns as the WE, using a variety of activation and detection bonuses for the AI, and played each one into the spring-summer of 1915. In all but one of the games, the AI never even tried to advance out of Belgium; it just parked all its units in Brussels or Sedan and sat there. The one exception was a single game where von Kluck's First Army made a suicide dash to Paris, where it sat isolated and out of supply until it all but vanished - it finally retreated after being out of supply for nearly six months.

I actually stopped trying in the first game, just to see if the AI would do anything if I just sat there and let it try to win. In the last few games, I didn't even move a single unit - I just hit next turn over and over. Still, the AI didn't do anything except attack Sedan on the first turn - it would win, but never follow up - and sometimes chase the remnants of the Belgian Army. Frankly, I was stunned to see the AI in an AGEOD game behave so poorly.

I also tried 3-4 historical campaigns as the CP, mostly to watch how the AI handled the opposite side of my early games. The French AI, despite having a war plan calling for an attack along the frontier, basically just did the mirror image of the CP AI - the first turn was always a big battle in Sedan followed by....nothing.

I offered over on the AGEOD board to post my save games, but no one seems interested. The betas there seem more interested in extolling the game's virtues for MP than in really looking hard at the AI. I can't believe they missed what I'm seeing in testing.

I fear this game is quickly headed for the MP-only heap - which is a shame considering AGEOD's other games.

(in reply to bob.)
Post #: 58
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/25/2014 9:31:14 PM   
bob.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Queeg
My experience with the AI is very different. I've started half a dozen historical campaigns as the WE, using a variety of activation and detection bonuses for the AI, and played each one into the spring-summer of 1915. In all but one of the games, the AI never even tried to advance out of Belgium; it just parked all its units in Brussels or Sedan and sat there. The one exception was a single game where von Kluck's First Army made a suicide dash to Paris, where it sat isolated and out of supply until it all but vanished - it finally retreated after being out of supply for nearly six months.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say there. Although, it propably wasn't all that clear.
I was referring to your comment that the game engine doesn't simulate WW1 well.

Yes, the AI is absolutely **** if you are looking for a historical war

What I meant was that the battles themselves produce very believable results. And as the battles themselves produce believable results, and the forces in the game are more or less historically accurate, I would say the game is a pretty good simulation of WW1.

... just not against the AI

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 59
RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. - 9/26/2014 1:57:14 AM   
Queeg

quote:

What I meant was that the battles themselves produce very believable results. And as the battles themselves produce believable results, and the forces in the game are more or less historically accurate, I would say the game is a pretty good simulation of WW1.

I agree the battles themselves are fine - the number-crunching works well.

It's the how and where the battles happen (or don't) that are the problem.

(in reply to bob.)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> To End All Wars Series >> RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI