Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 2:45:31 AM   
AFIntel

You guys kill me!

Someone posts about hating the game because he lost a CV group, and within a day, y'all are discussing the archeology of computers.

It reminds me of a line I once read:

"I hate Wikipedia! Yesterday I used it to look up the history of Tammany Hall, and a half hour later I'm sitting in front of my computer thinking, "Why the hell am I reading up on the origins of Swedish Death Metal music…'"

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 121
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:17:40 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
You're ancient. I started with Fortran and stacks of punch cards five inches thick to simulate a game of tic-tac-toe.

Ok. Lots of people pretend to know about the old days. This is a test. They weren't stacks, they were called decks. Why? There was a specific machine that made them, What was it called? There was a container that people carried, that identified them as geeks. What was it? What color was it? And then, once upon a time, in a place far away, you could hook up with the Dartmouth computer center using a Beehive. What was that? And how was it different? And how could you whack your Phys Prof to give you a cookie?

Back to Symon. I may have misunderstood one of the test questions. By container were you referring to pocket protectors? I never had one but lost several shirts because I didn't have one. So I was one of the coolest guys, but what made me better was I had an ink stain on my orange (yes I said orange) shirt. Now, am I cooler than you, a mite less cool or just as cool as you? I think the whole forum is waiting with bated breath to find out the truth of it.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 122
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:24:13 AM   
geofflambert

I failed to answer the question correctly. The color of them was white or off-white. They would've been a bit more off-white if the bearer of the pocket containing the pocket protector was a smoker.

Post #: 123
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:26:43 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I think the whole forum is waiting with bated breath to find out the truth of it.

[Yawn] Not really.

Post #: 124
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:29:10 AM   
geofflambert

As for the other stuff, I really don't know what you're referring to. I don't know anything about beehives, I used Trojans. I see they're still available and as effective now as they were then.

Post #: 125
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:31:08 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I think the whole forum is waiting with bated breath to find out the truth of it.

[Yawn] Not really.

Chickenboy doesn't know when to keep his beak closed. Pay no attention to what comes out of it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 126
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:34:23 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFIntel

You guys kill me!

Someone posts about hating the game because he lost a CV group, and within a day, y'all are discussing the archeology of computers.

It reminds me of a line I once read:

"I hate Wikipedia! Yesterday I used it to look up the history of Tammany Hall, and a half hour later I'm sitting in front of my computer thinking, "Why the hell am I reading up on the origins of Swedish Death Metal music…'"

I completely concur. Just direct your observations directly to Chickenboy so the rest of us will be spared from his responses.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 10/23/2014 5:34:44 AM >

(in reply to AFIntel)
Post #: 127
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:39:47 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

geoff...don't forget. we got a match coming.

I already forgot, we do? When are we supposed to start? Dammit I'm outnumbered! Do I feint or charge?

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 128
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:40:22 AM   
Chickenboy

Hey lizard dude,

If you think that I'm going to let you assume a non-sequitor thread for your own ends, you're sadly mistaken, big guy. I've as much right (indeed obligation) to non-sequitor all over this puppy as you do.

Now, how 'bout them Cowboys!

Post #: 129
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:41:32 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Do I feint or charge?

Neither. Please faint. You do have a "DNR" order, don't you?

Post #: 130
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:41:35 AM   
witpqs

I'll throw out my own trivia question (from the cobwebs of my mind, not from research): old mainframe talk, what is "flexo"?

Post #: 131
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:44:22 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I'll throw out my own trivia question (from the cobwebs of my mind, not from research): old mainframe talk, what is "flexo"?

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here. Is it like "Beano"?

Note: I'm not a technovert.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 132
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:46:59 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here. Is it like "Beano"?

Note: I'm not a technovert.

In my case - it should be!

It's one of those very mundane things that has a weird name. I don't even know the origin of the name.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 133
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:47:31 AM   
witpqs

Adding: the name probably originated before computers.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 134
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:52:31 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

Hey lizard dude,

If you think that I'm going to let you assume a non-sequitor thread for your own ends, you're sadly mistaken, big guy. I've as much right (indeed obligation) to non-sequitor all over this puppy as you do.

Well, first off, you apparently are proof against "bean-o". I'm unsure if I am due to the fact that I never have gas. Apparently you do. I don't have any advice for you as my experience in this area is limited. Just bite your lower lip and soldier on.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 135
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:55:26 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Hey lizard dude,

Well, first off, you apparently are proof against "bean-o". I'm unsure if I am due to the fact that I never have gas. Apparently you do. I don't have any advice for you as my experience in this area is limited. Just bite your lower lip and soldier on.

Oh it doesn't bother me at all. My wife is the one who bites her lower lip, holds her nose, and runs for fresh air.

Post #: 136
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 4:58:38 AM   
witpqs

Oh yeah.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 137
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 5:00:15 AM   
witpqs

Search showed this too.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 138
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 5:23:04 AM   
geofflambert

Screw this. I almost posted something that had a point of view, but this is no place for it. Presto Chango goodbye.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 139
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 6:21:24 PM   
Symon

I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow;
I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still,... Willin'
Out on the road late at night;
Seen my pretty Alice in every head light;
My Alice, Dallas Alice;

I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet;
Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet and I'm still... Willin'
Now I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico;
Baked by the sun, every time I go to Mexico, but I'm still... Willin'

I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari:
Tehachapi to Tonapah;
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made:
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed:
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine:
And you show me a sign:
I'll be Willin', to keep on movin'.

Oooh the Non Sequitarious ,Tonto's Expanding Headband Orchestra rears its head

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

Post #: 140
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/23/2014 10:18:40 PM   
Joe D.

This has to be one of the best threads I've seen in a long time in any Matrix forum; it should be "stickied" and properly captioned.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 141
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 5:46:18 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

You're ancient. I started with Fortran and stacks of punch cards five inches thick to simulate a game of tic-tac-toe.

Ok. Lots of people pretend to know about the old days. This is a test. They weren't stacks, they were called decks. Why? There was a specific machine that made them, What was it called? There was a container that people carried, that identified them as geeks. What was it? What color was it? And then, once upon a time, in a place far away, you could hook up with the Dartmouth computer center using a Beehive. What was that? And how was it different? And how could you whack your Phys Prof to give you a cookie?

When I was in school (early 80s) we used a System/360 that had the 2540 card reader punch.

I can’t tell you about Dartmouth but the beehive was a peer-to-peer network. At our school we used dummy terminals on a Bus topology network for the most part. The instructors believed in the KISS principle. Getting time to spend on a BBS was considered a treat.

I attended a VocTech school (Computer Operations & Programming) so the whole physics/cookie thing is over my head. If you were talking topology my WAG would be a reference to a token ring.

Carrying the decks we used cardboard boxes. If they had a name other than a ‘card box’ or 'deck of cards'I never heard it. We would draw lines along the edges of the cards so we could get them in order again if a deck hit the floor. We always called a group of cards a deck. A group of cards was a program or series of programs related to each other. I guess I always thought the term ‘deck’ was more a reference to a Pinochle or Poker deck of cards than anything else.

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 142
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 7:23:28 AM   
Rising-Sun

You guys really shot up his thread, I am surprised that chazz never reply yet. Arent we suppose to help him?

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 143
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 7:52:03 AM   
wdolson

I suspect he left the forum. He hasn't logged on since his "I quit" message.

I never like to see anyone leave in a huff, but this game is not for everyone. He may have been getting frustrated with the pace before he quit and losing the CV battle was just the last straw.

I tried introducing a friend who was very into WW II to the original WitP and he just got overwhelmed and quit after about an hour. I couldn't get him to even consider a second look. His favorite game is flying an air combat simulator. He plays little else.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 144
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 3:02:02 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I suspect he left the forum. He hasn't logged on since his "I quit" message.

I never like to see anyone leave in a huff, but this game is not for everyone. He may have been getting frustrated with the pace before he quit and losing the CV battle was just the last straw.

I tried introducing a friend who was very into WW II to the original WitP and he just got overwhelmed and quit after about an hour. I couldn't get him to even consider a second look. His favorite game is flying an air combat simulator. He plays little else.

Bill

That's a shame Bill.....with all the game has to offer..Maybe your friend is just into tactical games rather than Strategic??
Too...we all know how intricately detailed this game is..I have NEVER played a game of WITP without feeling I failed to give orders to at least one unit on every single turn.........

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 145
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 8:07:09 PM   
CrackSabbath

Back in the day my pappy told me you can find sympathy in the dictionary between s**t and syphilis.

The Dude abides

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 146
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 9:18:41 PM   
AW1Steve

A lot of people just can't handle the incredible micromanagement this game requires. I ALMOST can't. If there was a way I could just tell an underling (or a computer) "you handle Russia. And China. And submarine patterns. And maintenance". I'd say "you got it!" And be one heck of a lot happier.

(in reply to CrackSabbath)
Post #: 147
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 9:40:42 PM   
KenchiSulla

I think this game teaches you to let go at times.. Sure, there is always something left to do but some things, much like real life, can wait... and life will go on

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 148
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 9:47:33 PM   
DaveConn

+1 to CF. My attitude is that "you don't have to do everything every turn; you just have to do SOMETHING every turn."

--Dave

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 149
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/24/2014 10:00:31 PM   
zuluhour

I always assume if I have something floating, I didn't lose. 

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI