Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What else do you want to know more about?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> What else do you want to know more about? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What else do you want to know more about? - 11/4/2014 8:44:01 PM   
RedLancer

We're working on AARs at the moment but is there anything else you'd like to know more about?

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Post #: 1
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/4/2014 8:47:30 PM   
zakblood

hows the beta going?

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 2
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/4/2014 10:00:46 PM   
Commanderski

Is there any difference in the AI?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/4/2014 10:31:57 PM   
gravyhair

What is the formula to resolve combat? Does it factor in unit frontage, mobility within a hex relative to terrain and weather? Is there a bell-curve randomization of tactical skill on a unit by unit basis? What's the primary model for combat resolution? (P.S. You asked ... ;-)

Wise Men Still Seek Him

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 4
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/5/2014 6:14:48 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood
hows the beta going?

It seems to me to be going OK thanks to a good team of involved Beta testers.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/5/2014 6:29:24 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

Is there any difference in the AI?

No and Yes.

No - It is (as I understand) a development of the WitE AI.

Yes - From what I see Gary has spent a lot of time delivering a very capable AI. The challenges in WitW are so much more for the AI than WitE. In the big scheme of things in WitE the AI was about concentrating against weak spots when attacking and line forming when in defence - all in one big stretch of land with a single frontline. In WitW the ability to launch invasions (almost anywhere) and with separate theatres of operation between N France and the Med (also with the islands of Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica) makes the AI's task pretty difficult whether it is playing Allies or Axis. It does very well and can deliver a few surprises too.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 6
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/5/2014 6:40:41 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyhair

What is the formula to resolve combat? Does it factor in unit frontage, mobility within a hex relative to terrain and weather? Is there a bell-curve randomization of tactical skill on a unit by unit basis? What's the primary model for combat resolution? (P.S. You asked ... ;-)

OK - you've beaten me - I have no sight of the code I can just see the battles play out as I fight. I have learnt through many hours of play that morale, fatigue, terrain, weather and air power all have a role. Like all combat you start at range, close with and engage the enemy. Against ferocious allied air power an Axis attack can be defeated even before getting into full on combat between ground elements. In testing we had a function that recorded the individual element battles if you wanted to look through the thousands of individual engagements that can result from one mouse click.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 7
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/5/2014 9:07:18 AM   
Stelteck

Maybe you already did it, but could you speak of the production system (and replacements) and how it can be managed by the player / destroyed by the ennemy ? (If possible).

Does strategic bombing modelized ? How it impact for example the eastern front box ?

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 11/5/2014 10:09:36 AM >

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 8
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/5/2014 10:08:28 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Maybe you already did it, but could you speak of the production system (and replacements) and how it can be managed by the player / destroyed by the ennemy ? (If possible).

Does strategic bombing modelized ? How it impact for example the eastern front box ?

You have no direct control on the production system. Indirectly you can effect your production by reducing losses of non-quota built items so that you conserve armament points. (Quota built items are things like aircraft and AFVs which have a set amount produced per turn). In addition as an Axis player holding on to territory means that you protect your resources - oil is a key resource.

Strategic Bombing is modelled. You can target the German industry and it will impact on the Axis player. As the EF Box consumes resources and receives a fixed percentage you will get less and the EF Box will suffer too.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 9
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/5/2014 6:56:05 PM   
gravyhair

Thanks, Lancer. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :-)

Wise Men Still Seek Him

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 10
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/5/2014 7:17:22 PM   
JamesM

Are support units handled in the same way as WitE? Can you still directly attach them to units?

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 11
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/5/2014 7:57:18 PM   
RedLancer

Yes - same rules apply but you can attach SP Arty to Units (can't remember whether soviets could) and you also have the multi role units like BR Tank Brigades and Commando Brigades. ALL attachments are free but you can only re-attach a unit once per turn (you learn to get it right first time).

There are new rules allowing more Allied Arty support units (loads of US / not so many BR) to participate in combat when attached to a HQ.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 12
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/6/2014 2:13:18 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

Strategic Bombing is modelled. You can target the German industry and it will impact on the Axis player. As the EF Box consumes resources and receives a fixed percentage you will get less and the EF Box will suffer too.

Has the german player a "industry relocation/evac" option ?

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 13
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/6/2014 2:34:06 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou
Has the german player a "industry relocation/evac" option ?

No - all industry is fixed.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 14
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/6/2014 5:49:32 PM   
HMSWarspite

Sensible - transport and space both prohibit that practically. Any capacity they did have was maxed out dispersing/replacing vital industry that the Bombers had got at.

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 15
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/6/2014 8:07:49 PM   
Balou

I was thinking of a industries (aircraft) that were relocated in whatever caves, mines etc were left. BTW, will V-weapons be included in WitW ?

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 16
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/6/2014 8:27:16 PM   
RedLancer

Yes - there are V-Wpn factories and launch sites. The allies lose points for not destroying them.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 17
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/6/2014 8:32:37 PM   
Balou

And V2 launch sites were constantly on the move, AFAIK.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 18
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/7/2014 1:46:21 AM   
Gilmer

So no building a lot of Fireflies like in Western Front?

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 19
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/7/2014 10:56:00 AM   
RedLancer

Picking up the last two points:

- We know that some V2s were mobile - the construct is to impose on the Allies some of the political imperatives of V Weapons - even though in the context of the game the damage inflicted by V Weapons is largely immaterial.

- Correct - no tailoring your OOB with lots of the best available equipments.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 20
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/7/2014 5:55:57 PM   
tiger111

I`m reasonably familiar with WITE (played since release) and the supply question in that game quite difficult. This has promted me to ask this :-
Please do a more detailed post regarding supply and how it relates to divs and corps units, and the significence of the different types of supply in game.

Also
A post outling how USAAF and RAF night raids are planned and executed. Also how to deploy the Luftwaffe in response(generally and how to intercept raids).Are there dedicated "Defence of the Reich" Geschwaders?Any ingame tips are welcome.

Obviously Supply and the Air War seem to be the major changes from WITE. Thanks.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 21
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/7/2014 10:50:37 PM   
JamesM

IN Gary's Bombing of the Reich, the Allies Strategic Air Forces had compulsory targets they had to bomb every now and then i.e. Transportation targets on the lead up and post invasion, V sites, etc. Will the same requirements happen in WitW?

(in reply to tiger111)
Post #: 22
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/8/2014 9:14:41 AM   
HMSWarspite

Why would you need this? In BtR, the land war is abstracted and does not get the emphasis in the VP (you can win without invading Germany). Thus an artificial rule is required, In WitW, the player is the 'distraction from strategic bombing'. If anything, the demands of the strategic bombing campaign have to be carefully imposed (via measurable effects on GE supply and equipment production), or you would need compulsory targets in Germany to prevent the heavy bomber force just becoming another Tactical Air Force! The Transportation plan affects the ground war directly, so that is a free choice, and V sites are VPs so there is an incentive there. We need the maximum of 'real' choices and the minimum of game mechanics to create a realistic effect don't we?

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 23
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/8/2014 11:40:43 AM   
Lützow

Well, I have a technical question. Can somebody confirm that WITW works with Parallels in OS X?

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 24
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/8/2014 3:44:13 PM   
warshipbuilder

quote:

In BtR, the land war is abstracted and does not get the emphasis in the VP (you can win without invading Germany).

Therein is one of the big problems with BTR. You are restricted at times to completely doing tactical airstrikes in support of Avalanche and Overlord, which is fine, because that is the way it was. BUT it makes no difference on how successful you are, the land war is scripted. The Gustav Line collapses when it is suppose to, D-Day is June 6 and the Allies break out of Normandy right on schedule. So no matter how badly you pound the Wehrmacht in to dust, the armies do not move until the calendar says it is ok.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 25
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/8/2014 6:03:56 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Augustas

I`m reasonably familiar with WITE (played since release) and the supply question in that game quite difficult. This has promted me to ask this :-
Please do a more detailed post regarding supply and how it relates to divs and corps units, and the significence of the different types of supply in game.

The system is significantly different from WitE. 'Supply' moves on the map as freight. Units get freight from depots and NOT - I repeat NOT - from a working rail hex. HQs no longer hold supply or fuel - their role is now only range with respect to the comd range and the leader rolls.
When freight gets to a unit it is converted depending on need into supply, fuel, ammo or replacements. Replacements are no longer a separate transaction.

Fuel is needed for motorised movement - less fuel less MPs. Ammo is needed for combat - less ammo then less CV. Supplies are required for non-motorised movement and is involved in reducing fatigue (nothing like a good feed!)
Unlike WitE units in combat with less than 60% Fuel/Ammo or 40% Supplies will try and draw more freight during combat resolution.

quote:

A post outling how USAAF and RAF night raids are planned and executed. Also how to deploy the Luftwaffe in response(generally and how to intercept raids).Are there dedicated "Defence of the Reich" Geschwaders?Any ingame tips are welcome.

The post on Air Directives gives you the basics - even after 18 months I don't think I've got all the nuances - factory information is subject to fog of war so recon is important. Interception is automatic so for the LW you are positioning staffeln in the right place. Oboe is modelled as is NF radar. There are no restrictions on which units you need to use for defence of the Reich but air groups must stay in stream - a NF Unit always uses NF. The Player's Handbook has a guide on air planning with tips on best altitude for cameras, at what height AA can fire into adjacent hexes and that sort of useful stuff we've been learning during testing.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to tiger111)
Post #: 26
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/8/2014 6:10:24 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

IN Gary's Bombing of the Reich, the Allies Strategic Air Forces had compulsory targets they had to bomb every now and then i.e. Transportation targets on the lead up and post invasion, V sites, etc. Will the same requirements happen in WitW?

Not exactly - you gain points for damage caused by strategic bombing and lose them if you do not damage U-boat factories and V- Weapons. Not supporting an invasion with strategic bombing could be a disaster in the making - your choice.

< Message edited by Red Lancer -- 11/8/2014 9:16:13 PM >

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 27
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/8/2014 9:21:31 PM   
Lützow

Ok, I got two more questions:

- Regarding air warfare, it is possible to transfer squadrons between airbases?
- How appealing is WITW being played from Axis side against AI?

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 28
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/9/2014 7:58:02 AM   
Emx77

Would developer change term "morale" to something more appropriate? IIRC, moral in WitE represents the training levels and doctrine capabilities of the countries more than reflecting the willingness of the soldiers to fight. I think such terminology caused confusion among players in the time of WitE launch. For example, It would be more appropriate to use term "proficiency" as it better capture essence of training levels and doctrine capabilities.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 29
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/9/2014 9:36:04 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

Ok, I got two more questions:

- Regarding air warfare, it is possible to transfer squadrons between airbases?
- How appealing is WITW being played from Axis side against AI?

Those I can answer.

Yes you can transfer using F10 Mode which works in both the air planning phase and the ground movement phase. You need to be careful not to overload air bases as that impacts on air sorties generation and if the air group and the air base have different HQs then maintenance is impacted.

It's very appealing - of course I would say that - a lot of effort has been put into the Allied AI and it can pull some surprises.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> What else do you want to know more about? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI