Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What else do you want to know more about?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: What else do you want to know more about? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 11/29/2014 7:12:38 PM   
carlkay58

Augustas answers:

1) That really depends on the terrain, the rail net, and the number of units you are supplying. I tend to have "bands" of supply - high priority port depots (drawing supplies from national sources to the mainland) feeding low to medium priority feeder depots (which supply the airbases behind the lines - both strategic and tactical levels) and then high priority depots again behind the front lines (feeding the combat units and forward air bases).

2) Yes - 1 AP will create a depot.

3) Yes, it is a slow process that takes three to four turns to happen.

4) Yes. There are a few supply 'hot keys' that will display the depot supply paths (tracing supplies to and from depots), detail supply depot levels and the supplies & trucks present, and a few other types of displays.

5) Yes - but different also. Why the difference? Simplified overall. RRC expenditure is 1 per hex and recent test versions eliminated the maximum hex conversion per turn so there is no limit. This last is very important or the Allies will frequently NEVER have forward supply heads. The terrain in Italy and southern France/Germany really limits the distance the rail conversion will proceed and all of the river lines in northern France and Belgium will also limit the conversion in that area. Note that you really want to have multiple rail paths to your supply depots for good supply flow because all rail usage is deducted by hex - if you actually use rail to move combat units no two units will use the same rail path in France because of these limits. That is for the Allies. The Axis has the additional problems with Allied bombing effects on the rail net that can make things even worse . . .

(in reply to tiger111)
Post #: 121
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 3:59:19 AM   
norvandave

I will play against the AI because this is such a large game that will take a lot of time. I haven't played WITE so please forgive the question. How good will the AI be? I don't want to invest a lot of time in a game that I can just beat up the AI on. Also, please describe what AI advantages can you set to add more balance?

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 122
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 7:28:50 AM   
RedLancer

We appreciate that a lot of people only play against the AI and therefore it gets a lot of development time. 

It is obviously not as good as a human player but it does very well.  The game has set five set difficulty settings (easy, normal, challenging, hard and impossible) and also the ability to customise against a range of factors.  The AI is a capable opponent especially when you are playing on challenging or harder.  At easy and normal it is beatable and those levels should only really be used to learn the game.   

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to norvandave)
Post #: 123
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 7:31:51 AM   
JamesM

Question regarding Ports. The biggest issue for the Allies getting ports operating so as to relieve the pressure on the Mulberry's. So are fortification and port repairs handled in the same way as they are in WitE?

(in reply to norvandave)
Post #: 124
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 8:59:18 AM   
RedLancer

Forts have roughly the same rules as WitE but allow for the Atlantic Wall.

Port repair is the same as WitE if I remember correctly - you can set priority repair at a 1 x AP cost to send a Construction Unit to the hex.  I also think that creation of a depot in the hex speeds things up too.  Ports now have barrage baloons to prevent gamey bombing as low altitude.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 125
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 11:31:32 AM   
warshipbuilder

quote:

Ports now have barrage baloons to prevent gamey bombing as low altitude.

How high do those things go? They can't be more than 8k. You can be reasonably accurate and do a lot of damage from 9k. Depending on flak.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 126
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 11:44:49 AM   
RedLancer

Keith

Would we be so ahistoric....it discourages those people wanting to bomb at 1000ft with a Lancaster.  You can do so but flak and the balloons cause significant losses.

The precise rules are:

Barrage Balloons – All ports are assumed to have barrage balloons that will impact any raid that is bombing anything in the port's hex. Aircraft bombing under 3000 feet have a chance of being destroyed by the barrage balloon equal to two times the size of the port (port 3 means 6% chance bombing aircraft will be destroyed). For night missions, the percentage chance is tripled (so port level 3 has an 18% chance of destruction).

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to warshipbuilder)
Post #: 127
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 12:01:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: norvandave
I will play against the AI because this is such a large game that will take a lot of time. I haven't played WITE so please forgive the question. How good will the AI be? I don't want to invest a lot of time in a game that I can just beat up the AI on. Also, please describe what AI advantages can you set to add more balance?

It's quite a bit better than the WITE AI in my experience. It had to be, in order to be able to play a game where there are so many strategic choices, long coastlines and many possible amphibious/airborne invasion choices. Give it a try as either side and you'll find it gives you a good game. IMHO though for any WITE vets, the minimum level you should play it on is Challenging.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to norvandave)
Post #: 128
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 1:29:02 PM   
zakblood

so for a useless one like me then, easy mode then it is

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 129
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 6:55:46 PM   
warshipbuilder

Imagine flying around at 3k or less in a Lancaster at night, the mind boggles. Unless of course we are dealing with 617 Sqn or some seriously ballsy PFF. I do think 3k is a little conservative, you could have gone 5 and I don't think to many people would have objected. 8k was the pretty much the ultimate limit. 5k was quite common.

Thanks John for clarifying that.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 130
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/2/2014 7:04:30 PM   
FroBodine

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

so for a useless one like me then, easy mode then it is

Hahaha, me too zak! If we both learn this game, we should try a multiplayer game. It might take forever, but that's ok. I have never played a monster game multiplayer, but it's never too late to learn!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 131
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 1:29:45 AM   
norvandave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: norvandave

It's quite a bit better than the WITE AI in my experience. It had to be, in order to be able to play a game where there are so many strategic choices, long coastlines and many possible amphibious/airborne invasion choices. Give it a try as either side and you'll find it gives you a good game. IMHO though for any WITE vets, the minimum level you should play it on is Challenging.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks for the replies John and Erik. I will be asking for the boxed version of this game for Christmas.

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 132
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 6:58:35 AM   
Kronolog

One last question before the game's release: When playing as the allies against the axis AI, would you recommend that one should play with the "eastern front control option" on or off? Which choice is best for the AI?

(in reply to norvandave)
Post #: 133
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 10:37:03 AM   
carlkay58

I have tended to play with it off for the AI, after all why give the AI more stuff to have to worry about? But it does work well with it on also.

(in reply to Kronolog)
Post #: 134
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 10:57:27 AM   
Templer_12

After initial enthusiasm on War in the East, I cant't understand the hype today (It's a good game though).
Whether I purchase War in the West? No idea.

My first three, most important questions to War in the West:

1. Are there now concentric attacks?
2. Are there more than three units per hex allowed?
3. Do the HOs beaming still continuing?

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 135
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 11:07:36 AM   
morvael

1. If you mean attacks from several hexes into one hex then they were always possible (in deliberate mode, using shift).
2. 3 on-map units per hex, but there are big support (multirole) units now, which can increase actual number of troops in hex by a significant number.
3. I don't understand what does it mean.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 136
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 11:34:30 AM   
Templer_12

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

1. If you mean attacks from several hexes into one hex then they were always possible (in deliberate mode, using shift).
2. 3 on-map units per hex, but there are big support (multirole) units now, which can increase actual number of troops in hex by a significant number.
3. I don't understand what does it mean.

Huh, it's been a long time since I've touched WitE.

1. Yes, but if I remember correctly, there was no bonus if you attacked a unit from different directions.
2. -
3. If enemy units get too close to your HQs, it happened that your HQs jumps somewere on the map.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 137
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 11:43:52 AM   
morvael

Now I understand. The bonus for attacking from different directions is the ability to add more on-map units into the battle. Simple as that :) This also helps to circumvent your issue number 2 (in addition to reserve units, and those rules helps the defender as well). Displacement is also common in wargames, be it on computer or using paper maps and chits. The idea is that HQ is not a cohesive unit located in one place but an abstraction of many smaller units spread over several hexes to the rear (logistics) and behind the frontlines (support units), so it's actually impossible to fight it in a given hex, it's rather about desorganizing enemy's logistic and command structure.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 138
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 11:53:55 AM   
Templer_12

Hm, hm, hm...
Is this checkerboard defense still effective?

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 139
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 12:39:48 PM   
davidepessach

Ah, so this games classifies as a Monster Game? I'm a bit scared of too much detail. I can bear much, but not the "much" of a monster game...

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 140
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 2:41:56 PM   
Lictuel

I assume industry is modeled as it was in WITE, meaning factories in specific cities with growth rates and maximum sizes. Is the maximum possible production of the Germans based on what was achieved historically? If for example the allies do not bomb a single factory, will it be possible to produce more stuff than could be expected historically?.

In WITE strategic bombing was of no real consequence and so the output of the German industry was steady and (I guess) mostly aligned with historical figures. I guess my worry is that the maximum factory sizes in WITW are the same as in WITE but given the threat of allied bombing the Germans will produce less weapons / tanks / planes then they could be expected to.

Also will there be a seperate German version of WITW like there is for WITE? If that is the case, will it be possible to change the language to English via patches settings? I'm thinking about getting the boxed copy of WITW but I really don't want to play the German version (I live in Germany).

(in reply to davidepessach)
Post #: 141
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 3:35:27 PM   
Joel Billings

There is no German language version of WitW, and none planned at this time.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 142
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 4:09:33 PM   
carlkay58

Templar, if you want to try checkerboarding your defense, go right ahead. But my Allies can cut through that extremely quick.

WitW has many different changes from WitE - too many for me to address. A few tips for players though that may help your judgment:

1. You WILL break down divisions as both the Allies and the Axis. You have to. There are not enough divisions to cover everything.

2. If you leave a hex open, the Allied infantry (which is semi-motorized) is able to advance into it, let alone the armored divisions.

3. The air war is totally different. Once you get the hang of it, it is MUCH easier than WitE. You will not be spamming air attacks or recon. You define air missions and their areas, the AI drives the individual missions from there. The system works and it is easy to work with.

4. Combat in a hex sets a movement penalty for the rest of your movement phase. Deliberate attacks more so than Hasty, the final odds will also modify the cost. This makes those deep mechanized thrusts harder to pull off - but when you do they are AWESOME!

5. The supply engine is entirely different. It will take a bit of effort to figure it all out but it is rail and depot dependent. Rail capacity is done by hex, supplies and combat trains reduce the capacity. It is important to have multiple rail lines feeding your major supply line.

6. Invasions and airdrops require some pre-planning and 'preparation'. This stops the Allies from spamming invasions. A good Axis commander will track Allied naval units and take that into account. Air attacks on the naval units are also rewarding as it reduces Allied shipping.

7. There are some static situations that develop in the game. Most are terrain based and some are due to shortages of supplies, equipment, and/or men. Italy is one of these areas and Normandy is another. The Allies have to show some patience in their game or they will lose too many men - and that costs VPs.

I have had great fun with the game as a playtester. It has come a long way. Is it perfect? No. There are probably going to be some balance issues with the VPs still and some bugs that we did not catch, but these get caught and fixed quickly with 2by3's support.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 143
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 7:25:39 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

6. Invasions and airdrops require some pre-planning and 'preparation'.

How fast is prep building up (per week) and are there ways to speed prep up ?

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 144
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 7:37:35 PM   
RedLancer

Can't remember the precise rules but for amphibious invasions the smaller the unit (Regt/Bde not Div) and the larger the port the quicker things are. Topic 6 in the Handbook and sections 5.4.4 and 16.6.1 in the Manual have more info.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 145
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 9:40:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

It is indeed all about port value and the size of the forces prepping. The port adds half its value, then you take 54/Size of Forces in Hex, where a Division is 9, an independent brigade is 5, regiments are 3. Permanently motorized units cost a bit more.

For example if you have one division preparing in a level 4 Port, that would be (4/2) + (54/9) points per turn, or 2 + 6 = 8 prep points each turn.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 146
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 9:49:50 PM   
bluth

Hi !
Never bought any of the GG games but I might flinch for this one.

Juste a little question (that will not influence me on my choice but still), are there partisans in the game (like the French Resistance ) ?

Post #: 147
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 9:55:48 PM   
Balou

Thanks for clarification. OTOH splitting a div into regiments would speed up prep considerably (4/2) + (54/3) points per turn, or 2 + 18 = 20 prep points each turn. Of course if splitting is an option.

Post #: 148
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 10:01:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou
Thanks for clarification. OTOH splitting a div into regiments would speed up prep considerably (4/2) + (54/3) points per turn, or 2 + 18 = 20 prep points each turn. Of course if splitting is an option.

Not if they are all still in the same port hex, you'd just be adding 3 + 3 + 3 and ending back up at 9. If you have multiple ports of the same size, then yes splitting that division would speed things up.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 149
RE: What else do you want to know more about? - 12/4/2014 10:03:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

If you want to see a full AAR for the 1943 campaign from start to finish, I'd also like to point you all to Meklore61's AAR in this very forum:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3724100

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: What else do you want to know more about? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI