Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWAW AI movements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWAW AI movements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWAW AI movements - 3/31/2001 3:54:00 PM   
1stlt

I have some complains about the computer's ability to move my units within a short distance intelligently. I understand the use of waypoints but what I am addressing is the fact that when I tried to move a unit three or four hex to a certain spot, there might be a straight path there but with some rough terrains or other friendly units in one of those hexes in between. I have been taking it for granted that the AI would 'steer' my tank by the most direct path only to find that the computer steered the unit AROUND the rough hex or the stacked unit hex and put it into known enemy line of sight simply because those chosen hexes were clear hexes!Bam! I have lost quite a few of my tanks simply because they didn't exactly go along those paths I expected them to. I even found my tanks going AROUND hexes with friendly gliders overhead! The only workable and tedious solution for me is to click one or two hex ahead of my moving unit when I felt that I needed to give them that 'extra' attention when crossing such obstacles. Has any other gamers experienced that?

"Steel On Target" -AOAC class motto
Post #: 1
- 3/31/2001 4:19:00 PM   
Don

Yes, it's been that way for a long time, but David & Gang have fixed alot of that in 5.0. I think you'll find it much better!

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to 1stlt)
Post #: 2
- 3/31/2001 4:40:00 PM   
Pack Rat

Oh yeah, we know about this one. But I don't do this anymore or should I say I haven't done it in a long time, let me see now, must have been at least 4 or 5 hours since I made this mistake last. I swear every time I do it too. The Wife is used to it though, because I do it a #^!%%@*$& lot. :) Really though this has been in the game since SP1, you kind of know when you should let the AI drive and when you should take the wheel yourself. When in a hot spot never let the AI drive. The thing to bare in mind also is if you're going to take the rough rode is that your movement radius is going to be harder to judge. Sometimes when in a hurry it worth the gamble to let the AI pick the route.

PR

(in reply to 1stlt)
Post #: 3
- 3/31/2001 11:22:00 PM   
Flashfyre

When there is a choice between the "fastest" route and the "most direct" route, the AI invariably takes the fastest. :mad: This means moving thru the wide open meadows, instead of hugging the treeline, or the reverse slope of a hill. I've learned, after many months on the front line, to NEVER let the AI pick routes of march. Even if I have to go ONE HEX at a time, better that than watching precious AFVs get slaughtered.

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to 1stlt)
Post #: 4
- 4/1/2001 1:02:00 AM   
Fabs

I learned a long time ago that in SPWAW sometimes tedious=safe. If I know that a move has to occur along a precise itinerary, I will move the unit hex by hex. Practically, you have to switch between being the overall commander to being the tank or squad leader. It's the only way to make sure.

Fabs

(in reply to 1stlt)
Post #: 5
- 4/1/2001 7:36:00 AM   
Antonius

If you computer took the most direct route instead of the fastest, I would be complaining that too many vehicules get immobilized and that they use too many movement points to get from point to another :) The bright side is that with some experience the way vehicules are moved is highly predictable and you can learn when to move units in one single click and when to use a more cautious step by step approach.

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to 1stlt)
Post #: 6
- 4/1/2001 8:25:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

NO~~ there is NO safe way Wild Bill Programed the vehicle movement ..it was the original dirty trick .. :) :) every time i "Think" i know when it is safe to double click.. it ain't! Guess ya gotta act like somebody might kill ya , if you assume the way is clear ...ONLY way to be sure 1 hex at a time, had a DUKW driving thru a village ..straight road ... figured two hexes a click would be fine ..every other hex..seemed safe ..NOPE!!! right into the first building.. jeeps on the other hand usually no problem ..Does anybody know if this has anything to do with unit Size????

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to 1stlt)
Post #: 7
- 4/1/2001 1:48:00 PM   
1stlt

quote:

Originally posted by AmmoSgt: NO~~ there is NO safe way Wild Bill Programed the vehicle movement ..it was the original dirty trick .. :) :) every time i "Think" i know when it is safe to double click.. it ain't! Guess ya gotta act like somebody might kill ya , if you assume the way is clear ...ONLY way to be sure 1 hex at a time, had a DUKW driving thru a village ..straight road ... figured two hexes a click would be fine ..every other hex..seemed safe ..NOPE!!! right into the first building.. jeeps on the other hand usually no problem ..Does anybody know if this has anything to do with unit Size????
I still have problems with invisible buildings! Just for the heck of it, I tried the "Raiders Ride to Work" piece and I got tanks disabled from taking routes into what seemed to be open hexes only to discover they were building hexes. That was one of the problem I had with all the SP series. Will they be fixed? Another issue, of defilade vehicles. When I thought I had my tanks in what in map's term, as defilade positions, I would still register hits below the turrets. It might not be as well practiced in earlier wars but in modern conflicts, combat vehicles don't last too long if they are not firing from defiladed positions and on the move constantly. Shouldn't there be some sort of notification that the vehicles are in defilade? I guess to me, such movement/position has always been more like second nature to me and not something I believe would need to be implement on a conscious level. Then again, I also took it for granted about moving in a straight line thing too :-) Thanks for everything, Guys.

"Steel On Target" -AOAC class motto

(in reply to 1stlt)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWAW AI movements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI