Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Naval and Defense News

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Naval and Defense News Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/3/2016 2:27:22 AM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hongjian

Seeing how the 054/A platform by now is a proven and mature one with multiple world-wide long-endurance deployments during anti-piracy in the Gulf of Aden, it makes sense for the CCG to request a 054A-based coast-guard ship. I would even say that the 4000 ton Type 818 would beat the 12.000 ton beast in terms of sea-keeping and endurance.

I think it is more favorably for high speed interception, since 054/A's 4 Diesel engines are efficient enough to provide 30 knots of top speed. It's role will be more centric to chase suspect vessel and emergency deployment, rather than high endurance patrol.

The smaller variant of 056-hull CCG is also fast, but the tonnage is too small for stopping larger vessels.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 6/3/2016 2:31:23 AM >

(in reply to Hongjian)
Post #: 961
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/6/2016 2:34:04 AM   
Dysta

CCTV unveiled the computer simulated ballistic missile test during the report of Rocket Force Engineering University. A hypersonic vehicle simulation was shown, but yet to determine if it's the US-rumored DF-ZF:

The sharp delta wings configuration with winglets and an engine behind can be seen, but that's all from the simulator.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 6/6/2016 2:42:16 AM >

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 962
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/6/2016 5:38:36 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hongjian

After the two type 053H2G Jiangwei-Is were converted to coast-guard cutters, it seems that the PLAN is now ready to upgrade their ten Type 053H3 Jiangwei-II FFGs.

What can be discerned is that the HHQ-7 Crotale SAM has been replaced by what appears to be an 18-cell HHQ-10 Point Defense Missile System (Sino-RAM) and at least two of the four Type 76A 37mm AAAs on the bow-deck removed as well. It is said that all four of these obsolete AAAs are to be removed and replaced by two Type 730 CIWS ontop the hangar - just like it was done with the Type 052 Luhu and Type 051B Luhai MLUs. AShM wise, the YJ-82s/C-802 are likely replaced by the common standard YJ-83/C-803, as all other YJ-8-series armed ships in the PLAN since the early 2000s.

Pre-upgrade Type 053H3 Jiangwei-II, still sporting the HHQ-7 Short Range SAM and the four Type 76A 37mm AAAs.

All in all, if all 10 of the Jiangwei-II FFGs in service receive this upgrade, they would have the basic anti-seaskimmer defensive capabilities to serve as 2nd line ASW and patrol frigates, together with the more modern but lighter and worse armed Type 056 Jiangdao-class corvettes. Especially since the Jiangwei-IIs all have hangars, they would add the much needed ASW helo support to the Type 056 flotillas. And their eight YJ-83s would still make them useful ASuW assets.

Can somebody verify these will be Chinese coast guard and not navy. Its on my worklist now so

(in reply to Hongjian)
Post #: 963
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/6/2016 8:42:00 AM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Can somebody verify these will be Chinese coast guard and not navy. Its on my worklist now so

The ship is still refitting as far as I searched, and cannot se if the penult numbers are painted or not either.

But if it's decommissioned and hand over to CCG, it will be a global headline for "World's first coast guard ship armed with missiles". So I think it's safe to say it is still belongs to the Navy. Though it wouldn't be much surprising consider the maritime dispute and conflict China is facing, missile-armed CCG ships might be a reality, if they want to operate them at naval frontline.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 964
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/6/2016 2:12:36 PM   
mikmykWS

Ok seems reasonable updates made.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 965
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/6/2016 2:35:36 PM   
USSInchon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta

quote:

But if it's decommissioned and hand over to CCG, it will be a global headline for "World's first coast guard ship armed with missiles". So I think it's safe to say it is still belongs to the Navy. Though it wouldn't be much surprising consider the maritime dispute and conflict China is facing, missile-armed CCG ships might be a reality, if they want to operate them at naval frontline.

Weren't some of our older cutters able to retrofitted with Harpoon launchers should the need arise?

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 966
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/6/2016 11:46:52 PM   
Kitchens Sink

Perhaps the Developers could consider incorporating some of the technology from this video into the game (?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06cNv55jTs

(in reply to USSInchon)
Post #: 967
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/7/2016 8:39:59 AM   
xavierv

DSME Launched the Lead Daegu-class FFX-II Frigate for Republic of Korea Navy

quote:

Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME) launched the lead ship of the new Daegu-class FFX-II frigate for the Republic of Korea Navy (ROK Navy) on June 2, 2016. Key updates of the Batch II over the ASW-focused Batch I include VLS and full electric propulsion system, as well as a larger hangar that can accomodate a 10-ton helicopter (FFX-I has hangar for lighter helicopters like AW159).

Contacted by Navy Recognition, a DSME reprensentative said that first ship of the class ROKS-818, Daegu will be delivered to ROK Navy in late 2017 and will be commissioned in late 2018.

FFX-II is not fitted with Mk 41 VLS buth with KVLS meaning it will deploy Korean missiles (most probably designed by LIG Nex 1).

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4067

(in reply to Kitchens Sink)
Post #: 968
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/7/2016 8:12:46 PM   
Ogier

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSInchon

quote:

quote:

Weren't some of our older cutters able to retrofitted with Harpoon launchers should the need arise?

Sure. The Hamiltons. The Philippines now have two of them and they certainly would like to use that optional capability.

< Message edited by Ogier -- 6/7/2016 8:15:17 PM >

(in reply to USSInchon)
Post #: 969
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/8/2016 7:58:22 AM   
xavierv

France Advocating Regular and Visible Combined EU Patrols in South China Sea
quote:

France sees the protection of freedom of the seas as critical, French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said during the 15th Asia Security Summit held in Singapore on Sunday. He added that a loss of such rights in the South China Sea may lead to similar problems closer to Europe, in the Arctic Ocean or Mediterranean Sea.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4063

French Navy La Fayette and Leygues class Frigates in Exocet Anti-Ship Missile Exercise
quote:

The French Navy (Marine Nationale) announced that the La Fayette-class frigate Courbet successfully launched two exocet MM40 Block II anti-ship missiles against two surface targets. The exercise was conducted jointly with Georges Leygues-class frigate Jean de Vienne which launched a missile as well.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4062

Second Project 11356 Frigate Admiral Essen Commissioned with Russian Navy
quote:

The first production-standard Project 11356 frigate - the Admiral Essen - has been commissioned for service with the Russian Navy. The Russian Navy flag was hoisted onboard the frigate in a ceremony on the premises of the Yantar Shipyard in Kaliningrad. The ship will be assigned to the Black Sea Fleet.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4070

Russian Navy Udaloy-class (Project 1155) ASW Destroyers Won't Get Cruise Missiles for Now
quote:

The conversion of the Russian Navy’s large antisubmarine warfare (ASW) ships to the Kalibr missile system has not begun yet, Igor Ponomaryov, vice-president, military shipbuilding, United Shipbuilding Corporation, told TASS at the KADEX 2016 arms show. "To date, we have not received a requirements specification for [the Project] 1155 [ship] from the Defense Ministry and the full-fledged work has not started yet," Ponomaryov said.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4064

Australia to Equip its Hobart-class AWD Vessels with Raytheon SM-2 Block IIIB Missiles
quote:

The Australian Navy will equip its Hobart-class Air Warfare Destroyers with the Raytheon SM-2 Block IIIB missiles. According to the US Defence Security Cooperation Agency, the State Department has approved the Foreign Military Sale of the missiles with a cost of USD301 million.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4071

(in reply to Ogier)
Post #: 970
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/9/2016 7:59:22 AM   
xavierv

China's 26th Type 056 Corvette (Jiangdao class) Qujing Commissioned in PLAN South Sea Fleet

quote:

A commissioning, naming and flag-presenting ceremony of the new Qujing corvette (hull number 508) of the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN or Chinese Navy) was held solemnly at Yulin Naval Base located in the Yalong Bay (city of Sanya) on Hainan island. The event means that the vessel is officially commissioned to the PLAN. Qujing is the twenty-sixth Type 056 Corvette (Jiangdao class).

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4075

German Navy K130 Corvettes Ready for Saab RBS-15 Mk3 Anti-Ship Missiles
quote:

The German Navy has authorized on 3 June 2016 the use of the surface-to-surface Saab RBS-15 Mk3 missiles aboard the K130-class corvettes. This type of missiles will give the Marine the capability to engage land targets from the sea.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4074

Shipyard in central Russia floats out first Project 21980 anti-sabotage boat
quote:

The Vympel Shipyard in Rybinsk in central Russia has floated out the first Project 21980 Grachonok anti-sabotage boat, the shipyard’s press office told TASS.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4073

(in reply to xavierv)
Post #: 971
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/9/2016 4:11:21 PM   
Schr75

It´s official.

Denmark buys 27 F-35 with deliveries beginning in 2021 and running to 2026.
F-16 retirement planned for 2024.

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/fuld-fart-paa-dansk-politik-aftale-hattrick-paa-en-dag
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/aftale-paa-plads-danmark-koeber-27-nye-kampfly
(The links is in danish)

Søren

< Message edited by Schr75 -- 6/9/2016 4:17:53 PM >

(in reply to xavierv)
Post #: 972
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/9/2016 5:47:56 PM   
cf_dallas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schr75

It´s official.

Denmark buys 27 F-35 with deliveries beginning in 2021 and running to 2026.
F-16 retirement planned for 2024.

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/fuld-fart-paa-dansk-politik-aftale-hattrick-paa-en-dag
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/aftale-paa-plads-danmark-koeber-27-nye-kampfly
(The links is in danish)

Søren

I've seen a couple English language articles. The really news worthy part, big picture, is the lifecycle cost estimates from the Danish government. F-35 is comparable to F-18, and 25% cheaper than Typhion.

Formerly cwemyss

(in reply to Schr75)
Post #: 973
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/11/2016 12:49:51 PM   
Hongjian

The newly remodeled Type 051B Luhai-class DDG (167) sitting side by side with a Type 052B Luyang-I DDG (169).

The main Type 382 Sea-Eagle S/C (NATO: RICE SHIELD) mast-mounted radar (longtime erroneously thought as Chinese Fregat/TOP PLATE copy) have huge size differences.
So, the rumor was true, after all. The MLU-package of the Luhai-class DDG indeed featured the Type 382A improved Sea-Eagle S/C radar.
Even if China could mount modern fixed AESA on their ships, these combined S and C/X band dual-band radars are still very useful and give PLAN surface combattants much radar for less money. This improved variety is rumored to feature up-dated ECM resistance, more sensitivity/antenna-gain as well as longer range. But exact numbers are still unknown.

Also, one can see that the main-mast now has a similiar ESM antenna as the 052D.

< Message edited by Hongjian -- 6/11/2016 12:52:56 PM >

(in reply to cf_dallas)
Post #: 974
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/12/2016 7:49:00 AM   
xavierv

French Navy Announces Aquitaine-class FREMM Frigate Provence is Now on Active Duty
quote:

The French Navy (Marine Nationale) Chief of Staff Admiral Rogel gave FREMM (multi-mission frigate) Provence "Actve Duty" status on June 9. The first two ships of the Aquitaine-class of Frigates are now "operation proven" vessels according the the French Navy.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4087

Russian Navy First Project 21180 Icebreaker Ilya Muromets Launched in St Petersburg
quote:

The lead diesel electric icebreaker Ilya Muromets of project 21180 became the first vessel of the class in 45 years of Russian Navy history to be floated by the Admiralty Shipyard in St. Petersburg, TASS correspondent reported. The ceremony was attended by Russian Navy Chief-of-Staff Vice Admiral Andrei Volozhinsky, head of the department for state defense order of the Russian defense ministry Andrei Vernigora and Director General of the Admiralty Shipyard Alexander Buzakov.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4085

(in reply to Hongjian)
Post #: 975
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/13/2016 10:41:23 AM   
Dysta

Bad news for Transformer 2 and Ghost Fleet readers:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/future-navys-electromagnetic-railgun-could-150517763.html

(in reply to xavierv)
Post #: 976
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/13/2016 4:48:59 PM   
Tailhook

That's the exact same discussion they've been having since R&D first took off. This is nothing new.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 977
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/14/2016 9:11:39 AM   
CrazyIvan101

This honestly sounds like a hit piece as the technology has greatly matured to make many if not all the author's points moot.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 978
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/14/2016 11:34:14 AM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrazyIvan101

This honestly sounds like a hit piece as the technology has greatly matured to make many if not all the author's points moot.

Maybe, but it still can't deliver the expected velocity from current 'maturity' of technology. Deck gun as a start is definitely too much for entire US defense, not just the navy.

I'd still feel impressed if it's an auto-cannon caliber, like CIWS or patrol gun.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 6/14/2016 11:39:08 AM >

(in reply to CrazyIvan101)
Post #: 979
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/14/2016 3:54:07 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

quote:

Maybe, but it still can't deliver the expected velocity from current 'maturity' of technology. Deck gun as a start is definitely too much for entire US defense, not just the navy.

I'd still feel impressed if it's an auto-cannon caliber, like CIWS or patrol gun.

You're like a little kid who's jealous about all the neat toys his friends have.

Mike

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 980
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/14/2016 3:55:13 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

I think its worst. Likely a 20 something year old pay per article writer at yahoo who had to meet a deadline and found something to reword

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 6/14/2016 3:57:55 PM >

Post #: 981
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/15/2016 1:14:42 AM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

You're like a little kid who's jealous about all the neat toys his friends have.

Mike

I'd feel more jealous if they said this project is completed, and mounted right on Burkes and Zumwalts, but not that soon in reality.

Some military discussion sites even believe this news is a deception, to make competitors believe electric weaponries cannot be done without more breakthroughs.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 6/15/2016 1:21:33 AM >

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 982
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/15/2016 1:21:28 AM   
thewood1

Funny, looking at the pictures of models and animations you rave about in other posts, I would never have guessed that was your criteria.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 983
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/15/2016 4:39:52 AM   
Dysta

I didn't said I am not jealous at all. In fact, I already is consider there are numerous DIY footages how people homemade rail/coil guns at their backyard, and have particular improvement for a decade. Especially this:

https://youtu.be/TWeJsaCiGQ0

One thing I must point out is, electric propelling round can adjust the velocity easier than changing primers from conventional gun, hell, even making it less-lethal is possible with lower output (and max it out to kill someone, but I haven't see any yet) if necessary. That is definitely possible and favorable for smaller weapons.

But for the higher caliber of guns, like to be used on tanks or warships, if they are only believe the maximum velocity is the ultimate goal for developing rail gun, then they still need more time.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 6/15/2016 4:43:27 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 984
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/15/2016 4:59:44 AM   
mikmykWS

Yeah underlying thing with all this stuff is power generation is now hugely important. Ships get bigger again

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 985
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/15/2016 7:26:08 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Yes, I think any Rail-Gun armed warship would have to be nuclear powered, with one of the reactors dedicated to that weapon system. But I think the Rail-Gun could ultimately lead to a sort of return of the battleship, as this weapon system could ultimately replace anti-ship missiles, as a missile can be shot down, but a projectile from this thing cannot.

But of course increasing rate of fire is going to be a challenge, and a critical one to overcome. For a realistic battle situation I would hope a large rail-gun would be capable of at least 4-5 shots per minute, and that may be some ways off.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 986
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/16/2016 1:48:46 AM   
Dysta

Tell that to carrier operators and pilots, there will be thousands of unemployment if BBN rolls out.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 987
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/17/2016 2:32:07 AM   
Dysta

Two serial-production of Y-20s is commissioned at 15 June. It used the 781 color scheme (near-black) than latter prototypes (low observable grey):

And I think I don't see Y-20 in DB3000, as its commissioned, I will find it's speculation and post to DB3000 update thread.

SN is blotted and picture is watermarked, can't find the original picture yet.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 6/17/2016 2:35:13 AM >

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 988
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/17/2016 2:42:11 AM   
CrazyIvan101

quote:

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert

Yes, I think any Rail-Gun armed warship would have to be nuclear powered, with one of the reactors dedicated to that weapon system. But I think the Rail-Gun could ultimately lead to a sort of return of the battleship, as this weapon system could ultimately replace anti-ship missiles, as a missile can be shot down, but a projectile from this thing cannot.

But of course increasing rate of fire is going to be a challenge, and a critical one to overcome. For a realistic battle situation I would hope a large rail-gun would be capable of at least 4-5 shots per minute, and that may be some ways off.

Actually Current gas turbines are absolutely fine and are perfectly able to supply the required power for railguns or directed energy weapons. There is an amazing write up on Railguns and lasers by a reddit user. Also I heard of new mechanics for lasers in CMANO? Is this happening?!

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 989
RE: Naval and Defense News - 6/17/2016 3:50:01 AM   
Dysta

Like F-35's future cockpit concept, but using drones and aircrafts to capture footages around the tank, instead of mounting sensors:

http://www.gizmag.com/ironvision-tanks-see-through/43853/

quote:

Tank crews get 360-degree X-ray vision

Battle tanks are about the least invisible thing ever invented, but Elbit Systems has come up with a way to make them as see through as glass – at least from the inside. The company's new IronVision Helmet-Mounted System (HMS) doesn't use magic to achieve this. Instead, it employs sensor and display technology originally developed for fighter and helicopter pilots to provide a virtual 360º panoramic view of the battlefield to tank commanders and crews.

One of the great military paradoxes of the last century has been that battle tanks provide an incredible amount of protection for their crews while leaving them insanely vulnerable. This is because tanks and other armored fighting vehicles rely on thick, all-encompassing shells of heavy armor to keep the crew safe from harm. It also means that the driver has to navigate by looking at the outside world through a letterbox with a foot-thick slab of laminated glass jammed into it.

It's even worse for the tank commander, who has to turn the vehicle from a rolling pillbox into a fighting machine. But in order to do this, the commander needs to see what's going on outside. He does this by doing the daftest thing imaginable – opening the top hatch and sticking his head out. Needless to say, this makes tank commanders a poor insurance risk and provides an unhealthy gap in the armor for unwanted munitions to drop through.

Many tank designs try to minimize this problem through the use of periscopes, but the results tend to be less than optimal due to the narrow field of vision. According to Elbit, IronVision gets around this limitation by means of See-Through Armor (STA) technology. It uses sensors and software combined with a user-friendly interface originally developed for fixed and rotary wing aircraft to transmit video images from inside and outside the tank to the commander and driver's visors, to create a realistic view of the outside world. The result is a "see-through" tank.

Elbit says that Ironvision provides images in real time with zero latency, high resolution, and in full color with a seamless 360° line of sight. The visors are lightweight and compact, and the software uses an advanced distortion-correction algorithm to eliminate visual distortions and motion sickness. In addition, the system has night vision capability and can display relevant information directly in front of the commander. It also has head-tracker technology that locks on potential threats and targets, and follows them with just a glance from the commander.

IronVision is demonstrated in a video posted online.

Source:
Elbit Systems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTTU2lw_Zh8

< Message edited by Dysta -- 6/17/2016 3:55:52 AM >

Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Naval and Defense News Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI