Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Focus Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 11:30:49 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Excellent work, Paradigm!

In those sub conversions to the Mk14A torp, would they get radar? That would be a key factor, methinks.

Cheers,
CC

Come on CC, radar early? I don't mind a better approach to torps, but radar might be a bridge too far!

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 271
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 1:04:40 PM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Excellent work, Paradigm!

In those sub conversions to the Mk14A torp, would they get radar? That would be a key factor, methinks.

Cheers,
CC

Come on CC, radar early? I don't mind a better approach to torps, but radar might be a bridge too far!

Well, let me re-phrase that. I see that USN subs of all classes AFAIK get a radar upgrade in April 42. So, the question would be, if they get the Mk14A torp upgrade, does that mean they'd have to wait until '43 to get the radar upgrade?

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 272
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 4:30:21 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

Well, let me re-phrase that. I see that USN subs of all classes AFAIK get a radar upgrade in April 42. So, the question would be, if they get the Mk14A torp upgrade, does that mean they'd have to wait until '43 to get the radar upgrade?

Cheers,
CC

As of right now, yes.

However, I'm toying with the idea of including an April 1942 upgrade for the converted subs so that they can have radar installed. If I go that route I will also raise the dud rate back up of the Mk 14A to 50%. I want to increase the effectiveness of allied subs, so that they have a bit more teeth, but I also don't want allied subs running around with full effectiveness in 42 either. Raising the dud rate to 50% would have the added benefit of triggering the 1/43 global torpedo dud rate decrease, as it affects torpedoes with dud rates greater than 50%. This results in a stair-step of effectiveness that is appealing to me.

Here is what that progression would look like for a player that decided to convert their subs to the Mk 14 A version:

12/7/41 - 80% Dud rate
1/42 - Player can upgrade their subs to carry the Mk 14A version, with a 50% dud rate
4/42 - Player can upgrade their subs to a version with the April 42 radar
1/43 - Hard coded drop in dud rate brings dud rate of the Mk 14A to 30%
9/43 - Hard coded drop in dud rate brings dud rate of all Mk 14s - stock or 14A - to 10%

As far as implementation, I'll just have to create new radar equipped versions of all the Mk 14A boats, set the upgrade path of the converted Mk 14A boats to upgrade to the new version, set the upgrade path of the Mk 14A radar equipped boats to rejoin the original class upgrade path in mid-43, and change the Mk 14A device dud rate to 50%. A little tedious, but not bad.

Lowpe, Commander Cody and others, let me know your thoughts, and I'll probably go ahead and include this change in Beta 1.02 unless people are opposed to it.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 273
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 7:28:03 PM   
cdnice

Is there a way to limit/stage the number of 14A torpedoes? This would simulate the recognition of the problems with the Mk14, the re-engineering, production and distribution from zero to full production.

I guess my only concern is even with the staged upgrades if a player fully converts all subs and has access to unlimited supply you could see a huge shift in advantage for the Allies (and I am an Allied player) that could really skew the play with no way for the Japanese player to counter it.

(in reply to paradigmblue)
Post #: 274
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 7:35:30 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdnice

Is there a way to limit/stage the number of 14A torpedoes? This would simulate the recognition of the problems with the Mk14, the re-engineering, production and distribution from zero to full production.

I guess my only concern is even with the staged upgrades if a player fully converts all subs and has access to unlimited supply you could see a huge shift in advantage for the Allies (and I am an Allied player) that could really skew the play with no way for the Japanese player to counter it.

Not really, no. The cost to the allied player is that they have to take their subs out of commission for an extended period of time to perform the conversion.

To limit the amount of subs with the 14 A I could allow some sub classes to have access to the conversion, but not others. The conversion, however, won't turn these subs into killing machines in 42 - with dud rate of 50%, they still will be the worst subs in the game by a wide margin.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 7/20/2015 9:14:36 PM >

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 275
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 7:54:08 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

quote:

Cheers,
CC

As of right now, yes.

However, I'm toying with the idea of including an April 1942 upgrade for the converted subs so that they can have radar installed. If I go that route I will also raise the dud rate back up of the Mk 14A to 50%. I want to increase the effectiveness of allied subs, so that they have a bit more teeth, but I also don't want allied subs running around with full effectiveness in 42 either. Raising the dud rate to 50% would have the added benefit of triggering the 1/43 global torpedo dud rate decrease, as it affects torpedoes with dud rates greater than 50%. This results in a stair-step of effectiveness that is appealing to me.

Here is what that progression would look like for a player that decided to convert their subs to the Mk 14 A version:

12/7/41 - 80% Dud rate
1/42 - Player can upgrade their subs to carry the Mk 14A version, with a 50% dud rate
4/42 - Player can upgrade their subs to a version with the April 42 radar
1/43 - Hard coded drop in dud rate brings dud rate of the Mk 14A to 30%
9/43 - Hard coded drop in dud rate brings dud rate of all Mk 14s - stock or 14A - to 10%

As far as implementation, I'll just have to create new radar equipped versions of all the Mk 14A boats, set the upgrade path of the converted Mk 14A boats to upgrade to the new version, set the upgrade path of the Mk 14A radar equipped boats to rejoin the original class upgrade path in mid-43, and change the Mk 14A device dud rate to 50%. A little tedious, but not bad.

Lowpe, Commander Cody and others, let me know your thoughts, and I'll probably go ahead and include this change in Beta 1.02 unless people are opposed to it.

That looks like a pretty solid plan, with enough trade-off in transit time. Lokasenna suggested a 2-week R&R period to convert, while we (elsewhere) discussed 45 days. I think two weeks is more directional when you also include round-trip transit. The "fix" to the Mk14 was essentially disabling the magnetic exploder and swapping out firing pins of harder aluminum, the work of a day on a tender. I'd have to re-read on what the solution was for the poor depth-keeping.

In addition to the time required you can also play in the editor with the port size required to do any upgrade. In the period you're playing with the Allies should have sub bases on the east and west coast of Oz at least, also maybe still Soerbaja (not in my game!) The Oz bases may or may not have ASes, depending on what escaped the first phase carnage in Dutch-land or the Manila hulls. By spring 1942 an Allied player could have brought a couple of WC ASes to CT and onto the map. So you can play. You can make the mods more "expensive" by requiring a real shipyard, although that was not needed in RL. You can also look at likely transit times to the places the upgrades would likely be safe to do, which is most likely Oz in most games, or PH.

My main point is to look at the time combo of upgrade itself, and transit time round-trip.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 7/20/2015 8:55:05 PM >

The Moose

Post #: 276
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 8:06:05 PM   
cdnice

quote:

Not really, no. The cost to the allied player is that they have to take their subs out of commission for an extended period of time to perform the conversion.

To limit the amount of subs with the 15 A I could allow some sub classes to have access to the conversion, but not others. The conversion, however, won't turn these subs into killing machines in 42 - with dud rate of 50%, they still will be the worst subs in the game by a wide margin.

That is true, I was forgetting about the conversion time required and the requirement to get to a safe port to do so as mentioned after. 50% will still have me cursing at my computer so seems like a fair trade. Great idea.

Post #: 277
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 11:08:44 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdnice

quote:

To limit the amount of subs with the 15 A I could allow some sub classes to have access to the conversion, but not others. The conversion, however, won't turn these subs into killing machines in 42 - with dud rate of 50%, they still will be the worst subs in the game by a wide margin.

That is true, I was forgetting about the conversion time required and the requirement to get to a safe port to do so as mentioned after. 50% will still have me cursing at my computer so seems like a fair trade. Great idea.

Don't forget that Japan starts with a much stronger ASW fleet from the get go. Devices might not be great, but they don't have to be given the extra number of ships you get.

It seems very well thought out to me giving the AFB something a little neat to play with while they are getting kicked from here to eternity...well to the Canal Zone at least.

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 278
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI