Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 3:56:14 AM   
stretch

I believe the HQ to which a land unit is assigned makes virtually no difference long term.

so, for example, buying out the 2 Aussie brigades in Malaysia, which is a pretty standard move.. it really makes no difference which HQ I pick to change them to so long as it is not restricted.

1) I notice I am able to pick an HQ which has not yet arrived. Does that matter in the short term before it actually arrives?

2) What HQ do you usually assign these two Aussie brigades to, just out of curiosity.

Post #: 1
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 5:23:41 AM   
Jim D Burns

Combat units within range of their parent HQ's receive big CV bonuses, so it makes a big difference which HQ you assign them to. Corps HQ's usually have a range of 1 so they need to stack with their units to give a unit a bonus. Command HQ's can add even more bonuses on top of a corp HQ's bonus, and command HQ's have ranges that vary 5-9 or so. So generally speaking you want combat troops assigned to lower echelon corps to give them a chance at the largest possible CV bonuses in battles. AA, baseforces, engineers, etc. it usually doesn’t matter so much.

Remember range 1 is the hex you are in so an HQ needs a range of 2 to affect units in adjacent hexes.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 1/27/2015 6:24:57 AM >

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 9:52:31 AM   
margeorg

The actual HQ assignment doesn´t matter at all to receive bonuses. You just need the HQ inside the appropriate ranges. There have been numerous threads about this topic already.

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 11:05:08 AM   
HansBolter

It matters for sub-units of a larger parent that may want to combine someday, which is the case for the two Aussie units referenced(at least in stock, they were changed in BTS so they no longer combine to form a division).

The Lark, Sparrow and Gull battalions combine to form the third regiment of the division. All three regiments will need to be under the same command HQ to be able to combine into the division.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 1/27/2015 12:07:57 PM >

Hans

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 2:20:57 PM   
margeorg

Ehm Hans,

true regarding the issue of combining units. The original post referred to HQ bonuses solely, and for that issue the assignment doesn´t matter .

< Message edited by margeorg -- 1/27/2015 3:21:29 PM >

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 7:38:57 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: margeorg

Ehm Hans,

true regarding the issue of combining units. The original post referred to HQ bonuses solely, and for that issue the assignment doesn´t matter .

This is correct as far as I understand.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 6
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 7:58:27 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Combat units within range of their parent HQ's receive big CV bonuses, so it makes a big difference which HQ you assign them to. Corps HQ's usually have a range of 1 so they need to stack with their units to give a unit a bonus. Command HQ's can add even more bonuses on top of a corp HQ's bonus, and command HQ's have ranges that vary 5-9 or so. So generally speaking you want combat troops assigned to lower echelon corps to give them a chance at the largest possible CV bonuses in battles. AA, baseforces, engineers, etc. it usually doesn’t matter so much.

Remember range 1 is the hex you are in so an HQ needs a range of 2 to affect units in adjacent hexes.

Jim

No, Jim, that was changed. I don't recall precisely when, but it's been a while. Now range = range for real, no need to subtract 1.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 7
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 8:05:18 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: margeorg

Ehm Hans,

Just reread the original post three times and found no reference to HQ bonuses.

Methinks perhaps you inferred it. or are focusing on the first response.

His opening statement "makes no difference in the long run" is what I was addressing.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 1/27/2015 9:06:57 PM >

Hans

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 8
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 1/27/2015 11:03:17 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Jim

No, Jim, that was changed. I don't recall precisely when, but it's been a while. Now range = range for real, no need to subtract 1.

witpqs is correct. It has been so from day 1 of AE. Classical WITP was as Jim D Burns stated.

This, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2213524&mpage=1&key=command%2Crange� is an August 2009 thread where two devs confirm the change to HQ range now being the number of hexes away from the hex where the HQ is located.

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 5/30/2015 3:59:11 AM   
chazz

How do you determine the command radius of a given HQ unit?

=================================
Thank you for your replies and advice!!

"If you're in a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly" - Nick Lappos

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10
RE: HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 - 5/30/2015 7:26:35 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: chazz

How do you determine the command radius of a given HQ unit?

It's shown as command radius on the LCU detail window.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to chazz)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HQ choice buying out units in Dec 41 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI