Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Railgun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Railgun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Railgun - 2/7/2015 1:19:13 PM   
JRyan

Railgun

I just do not believe it is ready, the power requirements are immense..

< Message edited by JRyan -- 2/7/2015 2:21:38 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Ra... - 2/7/2015 1:29:30 PM   
Sardaukar

You find railgun in Command in DDG 1000 Zumwalt as "155mm/52 AGS". But I don't think other types are modeled yet.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 2/7/2015 2:30:53 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to JRyan)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Ra... - 2/7/2015 2:33:34 PM   
RobotCriminal

Actually the AGS isn't a railgun, its a standard gun with GPS guided ammunition.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gun_System

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Ra... - 2/7/2015 7:08:08 PM   
jtoatoktoe

But the railgun may go on the 3rd Zumwalt. I think originally they were suppose to be on them, but the technology hasn't progressed far enough for the first 2 at this point. Maybe later on they can add it.

(in reply to RobotCriminal)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Ra... - 2/7/2015 11:06:27 PM   
kneecaps

The rail gun isn't one of those exciting sci-fi types..it's really a magnetically launched bullet without powder :( Kind of cool still but it's not some magic kinetic kill type railgun :(

(in reply to jtoatoktoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Ra... - 2/13/2015 12:18:57 AM   
JRyan

I bet the targeting system for something moving that fast for an over the horizon shot would be wild...range 85 Miles? Yeah right......it could be in the hundreds unless ol daddy gravity becomes and issue. It will I just do not know how soon.

(in reply to kneecaps)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Ra... - 2/13/2015 4:39:49 PM   
RobotCriminal

quote:

ORIGINAL: jtoatoktoe

But the railgun may go on the 3rd Zumwalt. I think originally they were suppose to be on them, but the technology hasn't progressed far enough for the first 2 at this point. Maybe later on they can add it.

Yeah its something the navy is still currently working on, I actually have a close friend who is part of the project (not the railgun itself, the electrical components "behind" it so to speak).

The Zumwalt class is unique in that it is (currently) one of the only ships that can produce enough power for a railgun thanks to being designed with an electric drive, so if it is successful on the 3rd of the class I wouldn't be surprised to see it retrofitted to the other 2. Someone here is probably a lot more knowledgeable than me on that though.

Anyway here is a pretty recent article on it, looks like the idea is to do a setup with 1 AGS and 1 railgun:

news.usni.org/2015/02/05/navy-considering-railgun-third-zumwalt-destroyer

(in reply to jtoatoktoe)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Ra... - 2/14/2015 4:12:06 AM   
JRyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobotCriminal

quote:

Thanks

(in reply to RobotCriminal)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is this one Modeled? I would like to try it out..Railgun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI