Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sad, sad, sad.......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 4:07:16 PM   
Jagdtiger14

If I was playing Warspite1 in MWiF and I was playing the CW, I would station the HMS Warspite in Colombo. Then when at war with the Japs, I would send it off the coast of Ceylon in the zero box by itself.

Or better yet, send HMS Warspite into the Baltic on turn one and keep it there

Oh, look! I made it to the top of page 8...every time Warspite1 comes to this page he has to see this post

< Message edited by Jagdtiger14 -- 12/13/2015 5:08:54 PM >

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 211
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 9:49:43 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Bo, you got me completely wrong...it was just a point of information...It seems you were on the inside on this project and might have some interesting stories to tell.

You were never discourteous to me, and I am sorry if my post made no sense. It was in no way meant to attack or minimalize your work on this project. Sorry about post #201...it was clumsy and poorly written...maybe I was tired?

I hope you accept my apology.

No apology needed Jagd, it just did not sound like you, I have a few stories to tell about the workings behind the scenes, but it would only aggravate even more, posters like Crussdaddy and others, so why bother.

But if the gentlemen above are enjoying the game as much as they say, who am I to say, "how can that be"

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/13/2015 11:01:01 PM >

Post #: 212
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 10:07:47 PM   
WarHunter

Bo!
Happy Holiday's
The despairing drunk dwarves of MWiF caverns. Still dis-Cuss and hope for a game as advertised on 7 Nov 2013
At least there are other games to play and occupy entertainment time. While sharing a beer or 2 with friends.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WarHunter -- 12/13/2015 11:10:36 PM >

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 213
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 10:25:06 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Bo!
Happy Holiday's
The despairing drunk dwarves of MWiF caverns. Still dis-Cuss and hope for a game as advertised on 7 Nov 2013
At least there are other games to play and occupy entertainment time. While sharing a beer or 2 with friends.

Happy holidays to you Warhunter.

Glad to see your still around Warhunter, those caverns look kind of dark and damp but what do I know, I happen to like the warrior 5th from the left, but I might have a head of hair that long waiting to see the AI emerge from these caverns.

November 7th 2013 is my "day in infamy", no sense going into that though right!

I have been keeping an eye on a new game in production called Tigers in the Hunt by Peter Fisla, it is a tacticle game and I have no tacticle games on my shelves of games I had to have but play no more

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/13/2015 11:30:45 PM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 214
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 10:27:18 PM   
bo

edited

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/13/2015 11:30:14 PM >

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 215
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/13/2015 11:21:46 PM   
WarHunter

Bo, Go check out the AAR warspite1, is doing over in the "BARBAROSSA Decisive Campaigns" forum.
The game has an AI and is very unique for a war-game. Highly Recommend you check it out.
Might be just what you need in a game.
Have a drink on me!

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 216
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 3:51:54 AM   
rkr1958

I'm sorry but I feel I must post something here ...

For me it's sleepy, sleepy, sleepy (instead of sad, sad, sad) ... because this game is so much fun that I don't want to stop playing it and this is costing me sleep!

This is the best strategic, corps level game on WW-2 period! Is it perfect ... no. Is it playable ... yes. Is it enjoyable ... yes. Is it addictive ... yes.

Sorry for my rant ... I need sleep. Off to bed ...

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 12/14/2015 4:52:19 AM >

Ronnie

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 217
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 6:59:49 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

Bo, Go check out the AAR warspite1, is doing over in the "BARBAROSSA Decisive Campaigns" forum.
The game has an AI and is very unique for a war-game. Highly Recommend you check it out.
Have a drink on me!

Yes Bo. Please go check that one out.

Paul

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 218
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 3:22:22 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Have a drink on me!

Yes Bo. Please go check that one out.

Think not paul, the day that I can put the MWIF disk into my computer and dial up you or anyone else and play net play as it is meant to be, or battle an AI, that is the day I will be satisfied, not one minute before that. And if it is not to be then so be it Actually paul I cannot find it

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/14/2015 7:27:07 PM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 219
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 3:28:06 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

I'm sorry but I feel I must post something here ...

For me it's sleepy, sleepy, sleepy (instead of sad, sad, sad) ... because this game is so much fun that I don't want to stop playing it and this is costing me sleep!

This is the best strategic, corps level game on WW-2 period! Is it perfect ... no. Is it playable ... yes. Is it enjoyable ... yes. Is it addictive ... yes.

Sorry for my rant ... I need sleep. Off to bed ...

rkr you are sleep deprived from that game, please get some rest because you will need your strength when Steve solves the net play and the AI

Bo

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 220
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 6:25:57 PM   
bo

quote:

Have a drink on me!

Ok Warhunter I give up where is this Barbarossa decisive campaigns forum? It is my age do not see well Is this a MWIF Barbarossa?

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/14/2015 7:34:48 PM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 221
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 7:28:48 PM   
Klydon

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3976499

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 222
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 7:35:55 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3976499

Thank you I saw this but what has this to do with MWIF? This is not a MWIF game right?

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/14/2015 8:37:44 PM >

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 223
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 7:56:30 PM   
paulderynck

I think the point made was that game has an AI, so if you wanted a WWII game with an AI now, that is a possibility.

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 224
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 9:03:14 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I think the point made was that game has an AI, so if you wanted a WWII game with an AI now, that is a possibility.

Okay paul I misunderstood the comments above about this game [par for the course for me] I thought it had something to do with MWIF now I see it has nothing to do with MWIF. In reality I hate any game with Germany fighting Russia, just never liked those games, too much ground to cover etc. I have to live with MWIF Barbarossa because it is part of MWIF.

I am looking at Tigers in the hunt a more tacticle game than MWIF, but it would give me a break away from these huge strategic games, at least it will give me something to do until Steve solves his problems, if ever. I do appreciate your suggestion though, thank you paul.

P.S. I have many computer war games with AI's sitting on my "no play no more shelf" Most of my bitterness about MWIF is what it could have been and still might become who knows, it was the game for the ages but alas we may never know how good it could have become.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/14/2015 10:08:15 PM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 225
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 9:30:42 PM   
WarHunter

Bo, I see you have been directed to the correct thread by Klydon.

Even though you dislike East Front games. Warspite1 has a good AAR story in progress. The game is a rare blend of RP and war-game.
The decision making element brings out a role playing facet I've not seen in a war-game of this type. Really quite good.
Its worth the time to check it out. Even if you never plan to buy it.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 226
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/14/2015 9:40:20 PM   
bo

quote:

Even though you dislike East Front games. Warspite1 has a good AAR story in progress. The game is a rare blend of RP and war-game.
The decision making element brings out a role playing facet I've not seen in a war-game of this type. Really quite good.

Thank you Warhunter will check it out but I have no plan to buy anything anymore until I see it on you tube because as we know Matrix has a phobia of no demo's but lets not get into that argument again.

Bo

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 227
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/16/2015 5:23:56 AM   
Hansstory

Those of you waiting for an AI understand that a good AI is impossible, correct? You may get a bad AI at some point. But don't count on it anytime soon.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 228
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/16/2015 9:27:40 AM   
Cataphract88

A bad AI is better than no AI at all! At the very least they can be a helpful learning tool when starting the game.

Richard

(in reply to Hansstory)
Post #: 229
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/16/2015 2:29:13 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

A bad AI is better than no AI at all! At the very least they can be a helpful learning tool when starting the game.

Great post I aggree with that 100%, if nothing else it gives you some slight compeition, or I guess practice when no other players are available or you do not feel like you do not want to go up against yourself for the 100th time [solo]

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/16/2015 9:26:24 PM >

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 230
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/16/2015 7:53:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

Thank you Warhunter will check it out but I have no plan to buy anything anymore until I see it on you tube because as we know Matrix has a phobia of no demo's but lets not get into that argument again.

Bo
warspite1

But bo, I named it in your honour!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 231
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/16/2015 8:25:34 PM   
bo

Warspite do you mean general Goofy? If so thank you very much, but that credit has to go to my wonderful friend Crussdaddy He named me that, if I got this conversation misconstrued which is par for me please correct me, gently though, as I am so very thined skin on these forums

Bo

Post #: 232
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/16/2015 8:59:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite do you mean general Goofy? If so thank you very much, but that credit has to go to my wonderful friend Crussdaddy He named me that, if I got this conversation misconstrued which is par for me please correct me, gently though, as I am so very thined skin on these forums

Bo
warspite1

Exactement

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 233
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/16/2015 9:16:02 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Bo
warspite1

Exactement

Deeply appreciated, I think

Bo

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 234
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/16/2015 10:32:25 PM   
Klydon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hansstory

Those of you waiting for an AI understand that a good AI is impossible, correct? You may get a bad AI at some point. But don't count on it anytime soon.

Why is it a "good" AI is impossible? The size of the game?

There are a lot of good and knowledgeable people here in the community on how this game works and how strategy for each position should go. (If you don't think so, check the forum on it).

I am glad you were not around when Jobs and Woz decided to start working on the Apple 1. I am sure they had plenty of people tell them it would never work or be very good..

(in reply to Hansstory)
Post #: 235
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/17/2015 2:18:23 AM   
etsadler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

quote:

Why is it a "good" AI is impossible? The size of the game?

There are a lot of good and knowledgeable people here in the community on how this game works and how strategy for each position should go. (If you don't think so, check the forum on it).

I am glad you were not around when Jobs and Woz decided to start working on the Apple 1. I am sure they had plenty of people tell them it would never work or be very good..

So true. Everything is impossible until someone figures it out!

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 236
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/17/2015 4:40:48 AM   
Hansstory

What makes you think a good AI can be developed? Way to cite one example (maybe, did anyone tell them it couldn't be done? I haven't read anything about that fairly bad person who developed the system I don't like) of success. I am sure there is a factor of 10 or more of failures. Maybe 10 years from now there will be a bad to close to ok AI. Why no good AI within the next 10 years, if ever? A player needs the actual ability to reason, not just process possibilities. Higher reasoning is necessary for this game which a computer AI can not perform.

Also, look how long it has taken to merely get the computer to process digressions and all the possibilities created by the rules. No knock on the programmer re AI, this system is just not suited to it. I bet the worst human player will be able to smash the best AI that can ever be developed for this game. No dig on anyone, just my thoughts on the matter.

(in reply to etsadler)
Post #: 237
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/17/2015 5:09:37 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Hansstory: I can develop an AI that will kick your butt, and everyone's butt every time...even the best player in the world...see, my AI would perform a Fall Gelb...just kidding Warspite But in reality, all I would have to do is fix the die rolls to my favor...which I believe is what most AI's do. I already asked Steve if this is what he would do, and his reply was NO, that is not the kind of AI he wants to develop for this game. So, with that in mind, I have to agree with you Hansstory.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Hansstory)
Post #: 238
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/17/2015 6:56:39 AM   
Neilster

quote:

What makes you think a good AI can be developed? Way to cite one example (maybe, did anyone tell them it couldn't be done? I haven't read anything about that fairly bad person who developed the system I don't like) of success. I am sure there is a factor of 10 or more of failures. Maybe 10 years from now there will be a bad to close to ok AI. Why no good AI within the next 10 years, if ever? A player needs the actual ability to reason, not just process possibilities. Higher reasoning is necessary for this game which a computer AI can not perform.

Also, look how long it has taken to merely get the computer to process digressions and all the possibilities created by the rules. No knock on the programmer re AI, this system is just not suited to it. I bet the worst human player will be able to smash the best AI that can ever be developed for this game. No dig on anyone, just my thoughts on the matter.

Have you read the AI threads? Do you have any actual AI qualifications? I do, and I disagree with you.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Hansstory)
Post #: 239
RE: Sad, sad, sad....... - 12/17/2015 7:01:09 AM   
Joseignacio

To be true, I was suspecting that. In some games, things are not so obvious, like if they secretly modify the statistics of some TW series game units, you couldn't tell whether that units had the 14 defense+armor level it should have to have or 16 ..., you just see that it takes some more time to rout them, so the battle may be tougher than you think, but you can't really tell.

However, I have been playing TripleA (free game) in-between other games, and I have noticed sometimes my luck simply sucks one after another time, with really terrible and statistically almost impossible rolls. I sometimes have closed the game in anger when I roll 20 dice (with success on a 2 for example) and the IA like 5 (success with 2 too), and I make 2 losses and they 4. And the next round the same, and the next battle, the same, etc..

I understand that the AI threads are serious and would allow excellent AIs, and Steve is a very witty "player" who has gone through all the insides of the game so his knowledge itself is a huge asset for building an AI.

However, if building a good AI is a huge enterprise, interconnecting all the smaller AI "recommendations" in a global strategy for a game like MWIF is a huge challenge. I am not questioning it's feasibility but it's timing. It can take a lot of time, and that only after the game is bug-free. That is, if Steve doesn't give up earlier.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 12/17/2015 8:07:20 AM >

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI