Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you... - 5/8/2015 10:33:35 PM   
JohnDillworth

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/local/flyover/?hpid=z1

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Post #: 1
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/8/2015 10:49:51 PM   
Numdydar

PBY for me

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 1:00:32 AM   
fodder

The SBD is mine!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 3
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 1:14:52 AM   
ny59giants

Got to go with the P-38 Lightning.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 4
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 2:03:39 AM   
DOCUP

Corsair

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 5
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 2:53:01 AM   
Shark7

P-40 for me please.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 6
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 5:46:06 AM   
JocMeister

How can you NOT pick a Corsair? Most beautiful plane ever built.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 6:07:14 AM   
warspite1

Avenger.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 8
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 7:52:51 AM   
obvert

Man, this is a lot better than the flyover here in London. Should see a spit, a hurri and a Lancaster later though, and they usually go right over the flat.

Although I'm with Jocke on aesthetics, (the Corsair wins) I'd want a PBY. Imagine where you could take that thing!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 8:10:56 AM   
Treetop64

The P-38. Twins are sexeh.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 10
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 8:41:21 AM   
Rising-Sun

Kids? lol well there none I like on this list :(

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 11
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 9:29:59 AM   
KenchiSulla

Sadly, no P47.... I'll take the F4F then..

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

Post #: 12
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 9:43:23 AM   
Itdepends

The corsair would be the one to aspire to but the PBY is the practical one. Like a sports car vs a sedan.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 13
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 10:50:39 AM   
LeeChard

P-51. What a view and the sound of the Merlin

Post #: 14
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 11:01:46 AM   
wdolson

I think an A-26 would better for a plane to go places than a PBY. I don't think anyone has landed a PBY on water in 30 years. If you did want to land it on water, you have to deal with extra corrosion problems as well as checking the hull for leaks. Plus a PBY is very slow. An A-26 has twice the cruising speed.

I noticed they didn't have any Hellcats at that airshow. That had the highest kill to loss ratio of any plane that saw any significant combat, and shot down almost as many planes as P-51s.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 15
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 1:01:19 PM   
John 3rd

B-17!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 16
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 1:40:59 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

You must like those fancy German or Japanese imports

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 17
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 2:14:57 PM   
wneumann

quote:

P-51. What a view and the sound of the Merlin

Or the deHavilland Mosquito with two Merlins.

Post #: 18
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 2:26:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
I'd want a PBY. Imagine where you could take that thing!

My point exactly. It would work great for fly-in fishing trips!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 19
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 3:31:27 PM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Most of the rivers and streams I fly-fish at would make a PBY landing a little dicey -- too shallow and too rocky. :-)

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 4:26:12 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I think an A-26 would better for a plane to go places than a PBY. I don't think anyone has landed a PBY on water in 30 years. If you did want to land it on water, you have to deal with extra corrosion problems as well as checking the hull for leaks. Plus a PBY is very slow. An A-26 has twice the cruising speed.

Bill

Slow, yes, but I can wander around from the nose turret to the side blisters. That interior is big enough for a nice little lounge with a table, a bed, a big screen LCD, and a nice minibar!

If I suddenly got into high frequency trading and was able to afford this kind of thing, I'd be thinking about journeys like this!

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/TransAfricanCat.html

Or just days like this!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/9/2015 5:24:50 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 21
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 4:33:49 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Random question: Are there ANY Japanese bombers still flying? I know there are several fighters but are there any Betty/Nell/Sally/etc...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 22
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 6:17:17 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Random question: Are there ANY Japanese bombers still flying? I know there are several fighters but are there any Betty/Nell/Sally/etc...

Betty was a good looking plane.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 23
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 7:08:44 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Random question: Are there ANY Japanese bombers still flying? I know there are several fighters but are there any Betty/Nell/Sally/etc..

As far as I can tell no. there is one Betty, a Judy and I think Val in existence The Judy might be flyable but the Betty has yet to be restored. There is an air museum in Chino Calf that has the Val and the Betty Planes of Fame

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 24
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 8:56:52 PM   
m10bob

The J 3 I learned to fly in was an exact twin of the L 4 as shown, (complete with the blue tinted plastic window over the cockpit which not all had.)

Post #: 25
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 9:22:40 PM   
bomccarthy

At least with the Piper, you have a toy which you can use fairly often. Parts should be easy to come by and the later versions of the engine are still made, unlike with the others. If you own anything with a Merlin, you'll have to stand in line for parts with the racers, who blow a few up every year.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 26
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 9:28:39 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Most of the rivers and streams I fly-fish at would make a PBY landing a little dicey -- too shallow and too rocky. :-)

Regards,
Feltan

Well, a PBY for the long-haul stuff and then one of these babies for the small stuff. C'mon Feltan-use your imagination, man!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 27
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 9:29:19 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Bill

Slow, yes, but I can wander around from the nose turret to the side blisters. That interior is big enough for a nice little lounge with a table, a bed, a big screen LCD, and a nice minibar!

If I suddenly got into high frequency trading and was able to afford this kind of thing, I'd be thinking about journeys like this!

Or just days like this!

Now yer talkin'!

Dibs on the lounge area!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 28
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 10:01:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Bill

Or just days like this!

warspite1

I believe this picture was taken near Guadalcanal, yes it was, I can make out The Slot.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 29
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 10:56:02 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

This is a good place to start:
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/

I think it's a bit out of date though. There was another site dedicated to preserved Axis aircraft, but I found a forum notice that it had been shutdown a few years ago.

There are some Spanish built He-111s still flying, and there was a Do-24 flyable a few years ago, but I think it is in a museum now. The Do-24 had been re-engined with much newer engines and was used by the grandson of the founder of Dornier to attempt an around the world flight.

There are fewer Japanese aircraft left and even fewer in flyable condition. I know at least one Judy has been restored to flyable condition, but I don't think it is ever flown. As far as I know, there are no twin engine Axis aircraft flyable except those Spanish He-111s.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI