Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/9/2015 11:04:56 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

At least with the Piper, you have a toy which you can use fairly often. Parts should be easy to come by and the later versions of the engine are still made, unlike with the others. If you own anything with a Merlin, you'll have to stand in line for parts with the racers, who blow a few up every year.

There are enough Merlins still flying to find spares. There was a company in Chino that specialized in spare parts for Mustangs. They carried spares of all the usual maintenance items and could make anything else. The owner had a Mustang and gave me a ride once.

The more powerful the warbird, the more expensive the parts will be though. When I rode the Collins Foundation B-24 I was talking with one of their ground crew and he said the cost of fuel was one of the smaller expense items. Spare parts were what ate up most of the budget. He said the main landing gear tires need to be replaced a couple of times a year and cost $1200 a tire. Fortunately the B-17 and B-24 shared the same tire size, but they aren't regularly made anymore. Continental will do a special production run for them and they pool with other B-17 operators, but they are still very expensive.

There are specialty companies making spare parts and restoring engines, but anything from a boutique business is going to cost a premium.

The trainers are popular in large part because they are a lot cheaper to keep flying. There are a lot of them and they are fairly cheap. Once you start getting up into the 1000+ HP arena, the prices skyrocket both from demand and extra expenses keeping higher performance planes going.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 31
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/10/2015 9:31:43 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

At least with the Piper, you have a toy which you can use fairly often. Parts should be easy to come by and the later versions of the engine are still made, unlike with the others. If you own anything with a Merlin, you'll have to stand in line for parts with the racers, who blow a few up every year.

There are enough Merlins still flying to find spares. There was a company in Chino that specialized in spare parts for Mustangs. They carried spares of all the usual maintenance items and could make anything else. The owner had a Mustang and gave me a ride once.

The more powerful the warbird, the more expensive the parts will be though. When I rode the Collins Foundation B-24 I was talking with one of their ground crew and he said the cost of fuel was one of the smaller expense items. Spare parts were what ate up most of the budget. He said the main landing gear tires need to be replaced a couple of times a year and cost $1200 a tire. Fortunately the B-17 and B-24 shared the same tire size, but they aren't regularly made anymore. Continental will do a special production run for them and they pool with other B-17 operators, but they are still very expensive.

There are specialty companies making spare parts and restoring engines, but anything from a boutique business is going to cost a premium.

The trainers are popular in large part because they are a lot cheaper to keep flying. There are a lot of them and they are fairly cheap. Once you start getting up into the 1000+ HP arena, the prices skyrocket both from demand and extra expenses keeping higher performance planes going.

Bill

There was an interesting article in Smithsonian's Air & Space magazine back in 2002 concerning the guys who work on Merlins and Allisons:

Masters of the V-12

Some of them didn't have kind words for the boat racers and tractor showmen who ran through Merlins and Allisons like Homer in a donut shop. Their advice if you're looking for a new engine - find a Merlin (or Griffon) built after the war for the Canadian airliners or Coastal Command -- RR built them with beefed up bottom ends for long-life and they spent most of their time at lower power settings.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 32
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/10/2015 9:50:09 PM   
wdolson

RR built a version of the Merlin for tanks, I believe it was called the Meteor. Instead of an aluminum block, it was cast steel and it was not geared to spin a propeller fast enough to leave the ground, but it was essentially the same engine. It would have worked fine for a monster truck, though the hydro boats wanted the lightest engines possible. Hydro boats today use jet engines and have left the Merlins and Allisons behind.

I could understand using them though. After the war surplus military hardware was dirt cheap and only a tiny few people were thinking about the future.

Bill

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 33
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/10/2015 10:10:05 PM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/TransAfricanCat.html

HO DADDY (again)!!!!!

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 34
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 1:31:00 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
I believe this picture was taken near Guadalcanal, yes it was, I can make out The Slot.....

See, I would have said that was taken during your recent holiday to the Seychelles with Jenna, et. al. You were trying out your new SLR on your PBY and she just so happened to be in the way.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 4:17:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I believe this picture was taken near Guadalcanal, yes it was, I can make out The Slot.....

See, I would have said that was taken during your recent holiday to the Seychelles with Jenna, et. al. You were trying out your new SLR on your PBY and she just so happened to be in the way.
warspite1

So there I was, aboard the trusty PBY, with my funky new piece of camera kit, all ready to take the perfect landscape picture; entitled "Lagoon at sunset" when this lovely young lady decides to disrobe in front of me! There she was stark naked, and adopting that saucy, come-hither-young-man pose. I mean, who needs that? I didn't know where to look as you can imagine. I had to circle the aircraft a number of times and keep the camera going just hoping that she would get out of the way so I could take the picture I wanted......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 36
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 6:08:42 AM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

warspite1

So there I was, aboard the trusty PBY, with my funky new piece of camera kit, all ready to take the perfect landscape picture; entitled "Lagoon at sunset" when this lovely young lady decides to disrobe in front of me! There she was stark naked, and adopting that saucy, come-hither-young-man pose. I mean, who needs that? I didn't know where to look as you can imagine. I had to circle the aircraft a number of times and keep the camera going just hoping that she would get out of the way so I could take the picture I wanted......

OK, right. That's your story and you're sticking to it.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 37
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 9:03:44 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

I think an A-26 would better for a plane to go places than a PBY. I don't think anyone has landed a PBY on water in 30 years. If you did want to land it on water, you have to deal with extra corrosion problems as well as checking the hull for leaks. Plus a PBY is very slow. An A-26 has twice the cruising speed.

Bill

Slow, yes, but I can wander around from the nose turret to the side blisters. That interior is big enough for a nice little lounge with a table, a bed, a big screen LCD, and a nice minibar!

If I suddenly got into high frequency trading and was able to afford this kind of thing, I'd be thinking about journeys like this!

Or just days like this!

You sold me on the PBY.

But if possible I would rather have this one.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 38
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 9:49:09 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Gas guzzler!

Although, speaking of a lounge! That presents some possibilities.

There's a certain flair to the lines of the PBY though.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 39
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 10:25:34 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Gas guzzler!

Although, speaking of a lounge! That presents some possibilities.

There's a certain flair to the lines of the PBY though.

I was assuming that if I was fluent enough to own, maintain and operate a PBY I could afford a Sunderland.

Sea Otter? Anyone?

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 40
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 1:20:46 PM   
PeteG662

Here is what I saw from the ground when they flew over:

6 Stearman biplanes
7 AT 6s
2 P-40s
1 A-26
2 C 47s
1 PBY
2 B-17s
1 B-24
1 B 29 (only one left flying)
2 Corsairs
4 P-51s
3 B-25s
assorted flight of SBDs, F4Fs
1 P-38
1 TBM

It was a great day to be in DC (since you would not really want to be here any other time)

Tallyman

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 41
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 1:42:33 PM   
bush

Corsair for me.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 42
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 2:13:58 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Random question: Are there ANY Japanese bombers still flying? I know there are several fighters but are there any Betty/Nell/Sally/etc...

Betty was a good looking plane.

I prefer the H8K Emily, tough bird and very long range recon support and bomber roles.

Post #: 43
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 2:16:53 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

I think an A-26 would better for a plane to go places than a PBY. I don't think anyone has landed a PBY on water in 30 years. If you did want to land it on water, you have to deal with extra corrosion problems as well as checking the hull for leaks. Plus a PBY is very slow. An A-26 has twice the cruising speed.

Bill

Slow, yes, but I can wander around from the nose turret to the side blisters. That interior is big enough for a nice little lounge with a table, a bed, a big screen LCD, and a nice minibar!

If I suddenly got into high frequency trading and was able to afford this kind of thing, I'd be thinking about journeys like this!

Or just days like this!

I got to go with Obvert here. You are more likely to actually hook up and have sex if you have a PBY..so long as there is a mini-bar. So it has to be my choice. That is....if I can get it past my wife.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 44
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 8:12:07 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

quote:

Bill

Or just days like this!

I got to go with Obvert here. You are more likely to actually hook up and have sex if you have a PBY..so long as there is a mini-bar. So it has to be my choice. That is....if I can get it past my wife.

I'll tell you what, you buy it put it under my name, she never has to know.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 45
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 10:54:23 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Here is what I saw from the ground when they flew over:

6 Stearman biplanes
7 AT 6s
2 P-40s
1 A-26
2 C 47s
1 PBY
2 B-17s
1 B-24
1 B 29 (only one left flying)
2 Corsairs
4 P-51s
3 B-25s
assorted flight of SBDs, F4Fs
1 P-38
1 TBM

It was a great day to be in DC (since you would not really want to be here any other time)

Tallyman

There is only one B-24 flying too. The Collin Foundation must have been there.

Bill

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 46
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/11/2015 11:02:29 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

If that's your goal, I suggest investing in a sorts car instead. It would be cheaper, and can get to the places where women who would likely be interested in that sort of thing are hanging out (like night clubs). Despite the picture, I don't think that's a very common scenario.

Personally I've never been the sort to do anything or buy anything for being seen doing it.

Bill

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 47
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/12/2015 1:38:11 PM   
Lecivius

I'll take the PBY. I wonder how hard it would be to rig with down-riggers and a trolling motor?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 48
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/12/2015 5:56:34 PM   
US87891

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius
I'll take the PBY. I wonder how hard it would be to rig with down-riggers and a trolling motor?

Okay then, how about a Goose?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 49
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/12/2015 6:34:27 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Okay then, how about a Goose?

That'll do!

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 50
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/12/2015 8:36:00 PM   
geofflambert

I am in possession of Wonder Woman's invisible plane so I don't need any of those. I would put it on display for the public but it's well, invisible.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 51
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/12/2015 8:58:10 PM   
wdolson

Is that a Goose? If so it's been re-engined. They originally had radials.

Bill

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 52
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/13/2015 5:01:00 AM   
navysim

quote:

Betty was a good looking plane.

Betty I know, is a good looking gal. I take the F4F.

Post #: 53
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/13/2015 8:10:33 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Bill

Or just days like this!

I wish I got a reconnaissance mission like this once in a while. Guess I better get a Catalina first.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 54
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/13/2015 8:17:59 PM   
pelthunter

Thanks for leaving the Grasshopper for me.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 55
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/13/2015 10:09:32 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I wish I got a reconnaissance mission like this once in a while. Guess I better get a Catalina first.

Yeah, I just found some more pics. This is just too good. The bar right betwwen the side blisters. Too bad that girl's blocking the view.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/424/language/en-CA/Sweet-Dreams-and-Nightmares.aspx

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 56
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/13/2015 11:50:17 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Too bad that girl's blocking the view.

Huh, what view?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 57
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/16/2015 5:16:10 PM   
geofflambert

I've been wanting one of these. The script on the front says "gorns bite".

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 58
RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do... - 5/17/2015 3:45:50 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Yeah, I just found some more pics. This is just too good. The bar right betwwen the side blisters. Too bad that girl's blocking the view.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/424/language/en-CA/Sweet-Dreams-and-Nightmares.aspx

I'm confused now. What do we get to pick one of again? The girls or the planes

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI