Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/27/2015 10:34:54 AM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ratzki

Just wondering why Rivers/streams were left out of the game?

quote:

river

Maybe I didn't answer this properly. There is no river/stream type of terrain but there is water terrain type in the game, so you can build rivers and bridges.

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 151
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/27/2015 6:15:54 PM   
Firebri

Doe anyone know when the lucky beta testers find will out, that they have been picked ?

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 152
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 12:50:05 AM   
e_barkmann

Hi Peter, noted no pbem play, but it mentions 2 players. TCP/IP?

cheers

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to Firebri)
Post #: 153
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 1:02:13 AM   
wodin

Confused why a Tank but not an armoured car or Half track can enter a wood building\stone building hex..

< Message edited by wodin -- 5/29/2015 2:09:10 AM >

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 154
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 1:48:33 AM   
Richie61

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Confused why a Tank but not an armoured car or Half track can enter a wood building\stone building hex..

Jason,

I would guess it's based off some old AH based game ideas

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 155
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 3:33:46 AM   
e_barkmann

I certainly wouldn't like to try that in a wheeled, lightly armoured vehicle (I am assuming that a terrain type takes up entire hex of course)

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 156
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 7:57:55 AM   
wodin

Chris just seems odd a Tank can but the others can't. I could understand if all types could enter the hex as they could be parked outside said building. However we have just the Tank...now if it was smashing into the building I presume it will become a rubble hex.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 157
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 8:57:53 AM   
invernomuto

I signed for the beta some days ago. Very interested in this game, it looks like a Virtual ASL.

Finger crossed.

Post #: 158
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 9:45:37 AM   
Hexagon

well, maybe the point is in add another type of buildings... wood and stone but LIGHT that wheeled and HT can pass, even more, regular buildings not necesary need be destroyed when a vehicle enter in the hex... not all buildings are houses (barns for example) and not all rubble is an obstacle (houses that lose all except walls... like in Kelly´s heroes Tiger scen start).

I dont know if is possible add diferent "destroyed" status for buildings maybe in a intermediate level they offer cover to vehicles but totally destroyed offer 0 cover or very small cover.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 159
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 12:47:38 PM   
Ranger33

Check it out, you've made the big time! If you have Tim Stone's attention then you are definitely on the right track.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 160
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 1:02:30 PM   
wodin

Good little write up. I'm sure if done right Tim will be a big supporter.

I'm also going to give it page time on TW.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 161
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 1:11:50 PM   
Richie61

Most board games don't let a tank/ vehicle enter a building hex per the "terrain encompasses the entire hex" Based on what Peter has stated so far I would go with
ASL rules, but the other system have different takes on it too

Advanced Squad Leader rules:
quote:

Terrain Halftrack MP Cost
Wooden Building NA
Stone Building NA

Terrain Tank MP Cost
Wooden Building Z Bog
Stone Building Z Bog

Bog: Bog DR to enter/change VCA in.
Z: Half of MP Allotment.

quote:

Old School Tactical:
Light structure: vehicles may not enter hexes with a structure

quote:

Valor & Victory:
10.4 Building. A unit must expend two Movement Points to
enter a building hex. Vehicles are prohibited from entering a
building hex, except when indicated by special scenario rule.

quote:

Panzer:
6.1.4.3.1 Building Hexes
Tracked vehicles with overhead protection may attempt to enter
(or exit) the actual buildings located in a Building hex (see 6.6.3).
However, they may suffer Damage or a Track hit as a result of that
movement. No other vehicle types may attempt to enter buildings.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 162
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 1:26:25 PM   
Warrender

I'm having problems registering for the beta. I chose Tigers on the Hunt and entered my details but get this error whenever I hit apply: Forum login credentials are not valid.

I need to get into this beta! I was a Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader fiend in my younger days and have been jonesing for a PC adaptation for the longest time. I figure Tigers on the Hunt is probably going to be the closest I'll get to one and getting into the beta means I'll be that much closer to playing my dream game.

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 163
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 4:23:39 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warrender

I'm having problems registering for the beta. I chose Tigers on the Hunt and entered my details but get this error whenever I hit apply: Forum login credentials are not valid.

I need to get into this beta! I was a Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader fiend in my younger days and have been jonesing for a PC adaptation for the longest time. I figure Tigers on the Hunt is probably going to be the closest I'll get to one and getting into the beta means I'll be that much closer to playing my dream game.

Hi Warrender,

Have you tried contacting or Erik K Rutins or perhaps matrix games support?

(in reply to Warrender)
Post #: 164
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 4:44:42 PM   
sullafelix

I couldn't sign up either. The signup page has the members area in the background so I was trying to use my members area login.

It also wasn't taking my regular forum name etc. until I reset the password and then it worked.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Post #: 165
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 4:54:09 PM   
zakblood

mine worked fine a few days ago as i signed up on day one when it came out, but no new beta's since then so have no idea if it still works or not tbh

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 166
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 4:59:56 PM   
Warrender

Thanks. That actually worked for me as well.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 167
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 5/29/2015 8:23:28 PM   
Ratzki

All that is left is for the Bets to start, hint, hint, ...

(in reply to Warrender)
Post #: 168
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/1/2015 9:01:08 AM   
maitrebongo

Hello,

First, thanks alot for doing my dream of a tactical wargame realitty, A mix of Steel Panthers, Close combat, Heroes of Stalingrad, HPS tittles... Hope you take the best of each game and let the bad...

Registred for beta (of course )

Very excited to see what this game looks like.

I am personnaly very sensible to the graphic aspect of this kind of game (specially for a tactical wargame), but as the develloper said : "all is in one png FILE" (only ONE ).

Another important things for me is the availability to play with friends over internet.
Is that a way to play live by TCP/IP ? (PBEM is too old style and too slow for today's games).

thank you for your job.

Maitre Bongo

"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 169
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/1/2015 4:50:22 PM   
Gustav6

Hello all.

I've just enlisted to the beta test group and I'm looking forward to starting playing this game.

Regarding the pics posted in another thread, I have to say that although they are OK for a beta game, I feel graphics should be enhanced. It seems that there is no variety in terrain types (all woods hexes are the same, as well as shellholes, debris, etc.), and counter graphics seem taken from juniorgeneral.

Some users have said that they are more interested in gameplay than in graphics. I'm also interested in gameplay and in a challenging AI, but make no mistake, a computer game, even one that will resemble a board wargame, should have good graphics if it wants to be successful.

Playing a game with a challenging AI is a good experience. You may want to play all scenarios to see if you can win the AI. But playing a game with state of the art graphics, challenging AI and an easy, intuitive and yet powerful UI is an awesome experience that will make you want to return to the game one time after another. If you can make the second game, you will have a blank check to further develop the game and add more and more expansions. It's not a matter of making a good game, but making a good game experience. I enlist for helping create the latter.

Please, take my comments in a constructive way.

Regards.

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 170
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/1/2015 7:09:48 PM   
Firebri

Well said Gustav6.We'll see what the beta testing brings about.

(in reply to Gustav6)
Post #: 171
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/1/2015 8:50:49 PM   
sullafelix

Please, just remember you are beta testing the game that was sent to you not what you want it to be.

I have seen a lot of problems over games working the way they were designed and testers thinking they were not right or even bugs.

I would think especially with this game, because it has been worked on for so long, it is probably close to the finished product.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Firebri)
Post #: 172
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/1/2015 11:57:07 PM   
e_barkmann

I think that a developer would value any reasonable feedback about the game, and it would be up to the developer to act on that feedback or otherwise (even if not acted on until a later version).

FWIW, I have to agree with Gustav6, even if the type of building artwork has a few different building styles this will go a long way toward presenting better. I have never liked the repeated pattern of cloned hex artwork

cheers

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 173
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/2/2015 5:37:39 AM   
z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gustav6

Regarding the pics posted in another thread, I have to say that although they are OK for a beta game, I feel graphics should be enhanced. It seems that there is no variety in terrain types (all woods hexes are the same, as well as shellholes, debris, etc.), and counter graphics seem taken from juniorgeneral.

Some users have said that they are more interested in gameplay than in graphics. I'm also interested in gameplay and in a challenging AI, but make no mistake, a computer game, even one that will resemble a board wargame, should have good graphics if it wants to be successful.

Regards.

+1

Many Board Games have very good graphics these days. There is no reason why a computer game should not have the same.

< Message edited by z1812 -- 6/2/2015 6:38:30 AM >

(in reply to Gustav6)
Post #: 174
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/2/2015 5:50:49 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Please, just remember you are beta testing the game that was sent to you not what you want it to be.

I have seen a lot of problems over games working the way they were designed and testers thinking they were not right or even bugs.

I would think especially with this game, because it has been worked on for so long, it is probably close to the finished product.

well i agree with you, been on too many beta now myself where i still forget what i'm there for, as my opinions can be sometimes too much when i've had time to go back and read some of them, bug hunting first, comments and opinions later, eye candy last, as it first has to first play well, either against the AI or human player, and both helps.

best not to add to much of a wishlist to any new game in development as you spend more time on that in the end and less of bug finding and fixing and testing etc, so it needs to be balanced and playable for all ability ranges imo.

first you need to ask yourself what you have been asked to do in the beta, if it's bug finding and give comments on something, then do that first, add and give opinions on other subject later once the first tasks have been completed, as goals need to be done in each beta version, or it will last too long, what are the developers goals may not always be what you would want so it needs to be a balanced approach where you work as a team, but he is the leader, can't agree, then don't sign up or keep asking what may or may not be in his overall plan or time scale...

polish comes later once everything else is done.

< Message edited by zakblood -- 6/2/2015 6:55:56 AM >

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 175
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/2/2015 11:11:59 AM   
wodin

When I test I mainly look for bugs and check balance\playability and see if features work properly. As a side note I will offer suggestions on improvements but will keep to the core game design..i.e I wouldn't tell Peter to scrap the way casualties are done and model individual soldiers..even though I prefer that it would mean I total game redesign which isn't going to happen.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 176
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/2/2015 5:29:34 PM   
giffin

Lets get the game tested for bugs for 1st! Then Im sure once the game is out & For Sale we will have plenty of Modders working on the graphics & maps.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 177
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/2/2015 11:09:08 PM   
Peter Fisla

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the purpose of the beta test is simply a bug hunt. The game was completed in terms of features about 18 months ago, since then I have been testing, bug fixing and generally polishing. Assuming the game sells reasonably well, I can add features like variety of terrain tiles and other things in the future expansions. I will keep an open mind in terms of what to implement in the future based on your feedback. However, please understand that this is a labor of love project developed by one person during my the spare time.

My purpose is to deliver as much of a bug free product to you as possible so that on the release date you can actually play the game as advertised (call me an old school in this regard). I didn't want to release the game in bad shape that will require another six month of patching before it's even playable. I rather have quality vs quantity of features that don't necessarily all work properly.

Cheers!

< Message edited by Peter Fisla -- 6/3/2015 12:10:40 AM >

(in reply to giffin)
Post #: 178
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/3/2015 12:20:49 AM   
Richie61

Peter,

I for one am on the edge of my computer chair waiting to see this project! Sounds like a well thought-out project that you have have poured a lot of your life into

Sun Tzu

Post #: 179
RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! - 6/3/2015 11:24:56 AM   
Hexagon

Maybe the question is know how can deal game with new features... are games where add them is not a hard job because engine is easy to mod/expand to do what you want it do but are engines that if you add an extra "," simple cracks.

First of all is have a 1.0 game, a TRUE 1.0 with bugs but nothing critical that breaks game experience and future... well, who knows.

PD: graphics... well, i am not a "fashion victim" but all depends of game... sometimes graphics help a lot to understand better game... for example Tiller games with no mods using early versions art were but now same games with diferent graphis are but again, for me depends of game, in a tactical game like this show pretty maps is a bonus but i am a "Steam and Iron" player and well is not like they use supergraphics

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 6/3/2015 12:25:34 PM >

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> RE: Tigers on the Hunt needs true wargamers for beta! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI