Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Canada and India invaded!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Canada and India invaded! Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/19/2015 6:25:31 AM   
JocMeister

VP

As the situation slowly stabilizes as Allied strength grows AV is looking more and more unlikely. China is a lot of VPs though but I don´t think its enough.

I continue to try and focus on gaining my own VPs rather then trying to deny Japanese VPs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1441
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/19/2015 6:28:47 AM   
JocMeister

VP

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1442
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/19/2015 2:27:03 PM   
JocMeister

Christmas gift

Got myself a little something for Christmas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1443
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/19/2015 3:16:50 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Christmas gift

Got myself a little something for Christmas.

The beer?

Didn't realize that book was out - I'll have to hit up the book stores.

Also, interesting that you have the commas instead of decimals in your Tracker VP ratios. I know that's how German does numbers, does Swedish also? On China, I think it is worth enough VPs but only if your current VPs stay the same, which they won't. Chungking alone is worth 5-6K when accounting for base and troops.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1444
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/19/2015 4:43:58 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
The beer?

Also, interesting that you have the commas instead of decimals in your Tracker VP ratios. I know that's how German does numbers, does Swedish also? On China, I think it is worth enough VPs but only if your current VPs stay the same, which they won't. Chungking alone is worth 5-6K when accounting for base and troops.

Actually, that too!

I wasn´t aware you could type it in any other way? How do you Americans do?

Even losing Chungking which is what? 800 Allied VPs? I should be able to gain 800 VPs over the next 5 months. At least I hope so...my goal is still to pass the 10k mark.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1445
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/19/2015 4:56:14 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

The beer?

Actually, that too!

I wasn´t aware you could type it in any other way? How do you Americans do?

Even losing Chungking which is what? 800 Allied VPs? I should be able to gain 800 VPs over the next 5 months. At least I hope so...my goal is still to pass the 10k mark.

We would do 3.375:1. I think that's the "English" way. Actually, I think maybe only the Germanic languages do it with a comma. It makes things really weird if you have 3 digits after the decimal, like in Tracker, unless you realize what you're looking at. Seeing 3,375:1 would imply to us a ratio of 3375:1, not 3.375:1.

Chungking may only be -800 VPs for you (if AF=4), but it's +3600 for him when built to AF9.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1446
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/19/2015 5:24:17 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

We would do 3.375:1. I think that's the "English" way. Actually, I think maybe only the Germanic languages do it with a comma. It makes things really weird if you have 3 digits after the decimal, like in Tracker, unless you realize what you're looking at. Seeing 3,375:1 would imply to us a ratio of 3375:1, not 3.375:1.

Chungking may only be -800 VPs for you (if AF=4), but it's +3600 for him when built to AF9.

Now that you mention it I seem to recall a story about one of the big Swedish companies doing business in South America using commas instead of dots. The difference in money was substantial!

I realize its a lot of VPs for the Japanese but I figure if I can make 10k the Japanese would have to make 40k which is very, very hard. Right?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1447
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/19/2015 7:08:03 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Now that you mention it I seem to recall a story about one of the big Swedish companies doing business in South America using commas instead of dots. The difference in money was substantial!

I realize its a lot of VPs for the Japanese but I figure if I can make 10k the Japanese would have to make 40k which is very, very hard. Right?

I would say.... not that hard to get sometime in 1943.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1448
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/20/2015 4:23:11 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

I would say.... not that hard to get sometime in 1943.

No, not during 43. But on 1/1/43 I think 40k Japanese VPs would be very tough. So if I can keep my target of 10k I should be alright.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1449
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/20/2015 4:25:59 AM   
JocMeister

Leaving town for a week now. I´ll read my book, ponder how I´ll play the rest of 42 and reread my old AAR against Erik. It has become kind of a Christmas tradition for some odd reason.

Merry Christmas everyone!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1450
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 2:10:38 PM   
JocMeister

Allied Planning

Finally back home! Hopefully I´ll get a turn from Jeff tonight.

Having been away gave me some time to ponder the "big plan". I was first inclined to set a timetable for the rest of 42 but soon realized it will be impossible to do so. Too much depend on Japanese movements. A factor that is largely out of my control.

So instead I decided on a broader "policy" for the following areas. This will be my "bible" for the coming year.

-India
-NORPAC
-SOPAC
-CENTPAC

I´ll try to get them all up in separate posts with some screens.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/26/2015 3:37:10 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1451
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 2:36:38 PM   
JocMeister

Planning NORPAC

1st objective - Neutralize Coal Harbor as an effective Japanese base. Attempt to do this will be shortly.
2nd objective - Liberate Coal Harbor. This will be done by forces already on the WC walking from Victoria. Target date spring of -43.
3rd objective - Liberate all Alaskan bases and recapture Dutch Harbor. Timeline will be somewhere around late 43.

------------------------
Allied OOB (Subject to Change)
------------------------

3rd Marine division
25th US division
41st US division
40th US division
37th US division

All forces are currently already stationed on the West Coast. The 25th ID is still recovering and is not up to full strength. The 37th, 40th, and 41st division will have to be bought out first.

I will probably release the 3rd Marines for other operations though. 4 full divisions should be enough to counter attack in NORPAC. Japanese (known) strength is only the 48th and 21st divisions.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/26/2015 4:39:20 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1452
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 3:39:04 PM   
JocMeister

Planning India

1st objective - Assault and liberate Chittagong ASAP.
2nd objective - Eliminate or drive out all Japanese forces in India. To be completed before the end of -42.
3rd objective - Liberate Burma and possibly join up with Chinese forces. Operation to be started no later then mid -43. No dead line for completion set.
4th objective (optional). Secure the Andamans if enough forces are available.

------------------------
Allied OOB
------------------------

- 2nd and 18th British ID
- 32nd US ID
- 1st USMC division
- 6th and 7th British ID.
- 7th, 9th, 17th 19th, 23rd, 26th Indian division
- 1st Burma division

This area will possibly revive the bulk of reinforcements arriving at CT and Aden including the powerful 9th Australian division. The 23rd and 26th Indian division will have to be bought out.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/26/2015 4:39:30 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1453
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 4:15:07 PM   
Canoerebel

Glad to have you back! I enjoy reading your AAR alot.

Walking from Victoria to Coal Harbor? Is there a road? I think that's just wooded and/or mountainous terrain, so doesn't seem feasible.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1454
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 4:26:22 PM   
JocMeister

Planning SOPAC

This one is a bit hard to plan for as I can´t grasp Japanese intentions here. Its a good place for the Allies to fight though. We are very close to Allied major bases like Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland while the closest big Japanese base is Rabaul.

1st objective - Defend and hold on to Noumea.
2nd objective - Expand bases in Santa Cruz, New Hebrides and bases in NE Australia. Primarily the Cooktown/Cairns area.
3rd objective - Push up the Solomons.
4th objective - Retake PM before summer of -43.

------------------------
Allied OOB
------------------------

- 2nd USMC (possibly the 3rd as well)
- Americal, 24th and 27th US divisions
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd Australian divisions.

A huge number of US engineers just arrived at Auckland and Melbourne. They will be set to the task of expanding bases immediately. The 1st and 2nd Australian divisions will have to be bought out.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/26/2015 5:27:16 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1455
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 4:29:39 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Walking from Victoria to Coal Harbor? Is there a road? I think that's just wooded and/or mountainous terrain, so doesn't seem feasible.

Thank you!

There is a road but only half way. So 3 hexes will have to be in the rough. About a month of walking. Not too bad.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1456
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 4:31:07 PM   
Canoerebel

Sounds like a recipe for a boondoggle. A month in the jungle, arrival telegraphed, no supply to fight with. If Lowpe intends to garrison the base you'll have troops tied up with nowhere real line of retreat forever.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1457
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 4:42:56 PM   
JocMeister

SOPAC

This is still a complete mystery to me. I have absolutely no idea what Jeff is doing here. He hasn´t expanded a single base anywhere south a Rabaul before this. To my knowledge (SIGINT) there is no major combat units down here south of PM. Nothing bigger then a battalion have prepped for Noumea.

What I did decide though is that I´m going to fight for Noumea if that is his target. Currently have around 700 AV behind level 6 forts there. Airfield is expanded to 5 and I have a MAG in place to provide TTs. Noumea have 470 mines, some CD guns and 2 heavy AA units. Supply is around 70k. So I can withstand a siege for quite some time if needed but I hope I´ll be able to reinforce shortly with around 100 Grant/Lees the 21st and 19th US Regiments. This will allow me to combine the 24th US ID. All troops have 100 prep for Noumea.

The landing on Efafe is strange. I havn´t expanded it so the airfield is still (0). If this is a move to start putting pressure on Noumea KB will be stuck here for a long time until Japanese airfields are expanded. This will still only leave him with a single AF easily closed by Allied 4Es and/or naval bombardments.

Most of the US fleet is on patrol south of Noumea. Around 50 subs are actively hunting the KB. If opportunity presents itself I might try a strike on the KB with assistance from Noumea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1458
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 4:42:56 PM   
poodlebrain

quote:

If Victoria is the launch point for any effort to liberate Coal Harbor there will be no element of surprise. An amphibious assault launched from Victoria will be apparent as the shipping and LCUs assemble. Even without the element of surprise I would make the effort to liberate Coal Harbor via amphibious assault. A few days reaction time is a better recipe for success than allowing the Japanese a month to prepare if the LCUs march overland.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1459
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 4:46:44 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Sounds like a recipe for a boondoggle. A month in the jungle, arrival telegraphed, no supply to fight with. If Lowpe intends to garrison the base you'll have troops tied up with nowhere real line of retreat forever.

Its only 3 hexes from the closest major road. Supply won´t be a problem. If I close CH the only way for him to reinforce will be under KB coverage. And if he moves the KB back to NORPAC just to deal with a couple of allied divisions moving for CH I would be perfectly happy with that.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1460
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 4:48:13 PM   
Canoerebel

Noumea is a nice target if Lowpe really wants it: (1) base is potentially high value; (2) lots of Allied troops there that are isolated if he brings enough; (3) hard for you to defend the base since supporting bases are so distant.

So, if he comes, he has to bring overwhelming force. Force so strong that he knows he can besiege and ultimately take a hardened target. You won't be able to reinforce agaist a largescale commitment of IJ air and sea power. You could be in a tight situation here - you want to fight, you feel like you have to fight, but you may be feeding valuable assets into the meat grinder.

Beware the Meat Grinder.

(in reply to poodlebrain)
Post #: 1461
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 5:08:03 PM   
poodlebrain

quote:

The landing on Efafe is strange. I havn´t expanded it so the airfield is still (0). If this is a move to start putting pressure on Noumea KB will be stuck here for a long time until Japanese airfields are expanded. This will still only leave him with a single AF easily closed by Allied 4Es and/or naval bombardments.

Most of the US fleet is on patrol south of Noumea. Around 50 subs are actively hunting the KB. If opportunity presents itself I might try a strike on the KB with assistance from Noumea.

The landing at Efate could be a lure to draw your Navy within possible strike range of the KB. He can make a dash SE to close range and extend his strike arc several hexes past Efate. Otherwise Efate will take too long to develop into a useful base for anything other than search/recon, and that doesn't seem to justify the effort for other than the long-term.

I think you are right in that there will be a fight for Noumea. That should remain your primary concern in the region since it is the only VP target worth his effort for AV purposes.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1462
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 5:51:06 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain
If Victoria is the launch point for any effort to liberate Coal Harbor there will be no element of surprise. An amphibious assault launched from Victoria will be apparent as the shipping and LCUs assemble. Even without the element of surprise I would make the effort to liberate Coal Harbor via amphibious assault. A few days reaction time is a better recipe for success than allowing the Japanese a month to prepare if the LCUs march overland.

Ah, a different perspective would be the following.

A land attack from Victoria might not be so easily detected as you might think. I´ve already snuck 2 BDEs from Seattle to Victoria. Japanese recon isn´t stellar and he might not detect me until I´m in the hex next to CH. That would only give him about 10 days to reinforce. And if he really does detect me early and move 2-3 IDs to Coal Harbor in late 42/early 43? Whose victory is that?

quote:

The landing at Efate could be a lure to draw your Navy within possible strike range of the KB. He can make a dash SE to close range and extend his strike arc several hexes past Efate. Otherwise Efate will take too long to develop into a useful base for anything other than search/recon, and that doesn't seem to justify the effort for other than the long-term.

I think you are right in that there will be a fight for Noumea. That should remain your primary concern in the region since it is the only VP target worth his effort for AV purposes.

You could be right. Have to be careful here as I don´t want to tangle with the KB. Not unless its on my terms and I won´t to whittle away some more of his fighters before that. Funny thing is that he already took Belep. So if its search/recon he wanted he already had it.

This whole OP is just odd. Either its Noumea or its just an ruse to get me to reinforce SOPAC (which I won´t anyway). If its indeed Noumea its an odd way to do it to say the least!

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/26/2015 7:14:25 PM >

(in reply to poodlebrain)
Post #: 1463
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 6:09:30 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Noumea is a nice target if Lowpe really wants it: (1) base is potentially high value; (2) lots of Allied troops there that are isolated if he brings enough; (3) hard for you to defend the base since supporting bases are so distant.

So, if he comes, he has to bring overwhelming force. Force so strong that he knows he can besiege and ultimately take a hardened target. You won't be able to reinforce agaist a largescale commitment of IJ air and sea power. You could be in a tight situation here - you want to fight, you feel like you have to fight, but you may be feeding valuable assets into the meat grinder.

Beware the Meat Grinder.

Normally I´d agree 100% with you. But to my knowledge the only unaccounted Japanese division is the 6th Guards. I have a fix on almost all others. Its still a bit risky but I feel fairly confident!

quote:

------------------------
NORPAC/CENTPAC
------------------------

4th ID at PH
21st at Skagway

------------------------
India
------------------------

4th Guards at Asansol
5th ID. Not seen in India but SIGINT showed them moving to Chittagong in Mars and planning for Calcutta in June.
18th ID
25th on ships to Rangoon
38th at Asansol
Imperial Guards at Ledo
19th planning for Calcutta. Last seen on Mindanao.

------------------------
China (Just realized this!!!)
------------------------

33rd ID (woot!)
Guards Tank Division (wooot?!)

------------------------
Unknown
------------------------

16th last seen at Coal Harbor. Most likely still there.
48th on ships. Last seen at Bella Bella. Probably moving for India. (48th/C at CH)
6th Guards ID. Never seen (possibly China?). Begins at CRB in February.

I don´t believe Jeff has the forces available to dislodge me at Noumea. Not without pulling some out of India and this I should notice in advance. Not unless I missed some major troop concentrations somewhere!

At least for the moment I feel pretty confident down here. Jeff really lacks base infrastructure here and havn´t really expanded Rabaul either. Port is still at 4. It must be really hard for him to operate this far down. Besides the lack of ports I have also seen very little shipping down here and he is using combat ships to move troops.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/26/2015 7:52:49 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1464
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 6:28:23 PM   
JocMeister

Allied planning

The overall goal for late 42 and 43 isn´t to inflict a crippling blow to the Japanese. Its about applying as much pressure on Japan for as little risk as possible.

Allied strength is far from its peak and locally the Japanese can still dominate at will. This is why I decided to move on 3 fronts simultaneously. Jeff is fighting on 3 fronts of which 2 require KB presence to check allied advances. India would be the exception to the 3 but here the allies instead are the strongest. In fact the allied focus will continue to be on India while SOPAC/NORPAC are of secondary concern.

Its still mid 42. Slowly and safely will do for now.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1465
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 7:39:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Strangely enough, supply propagation doesn't seem to be a problem on this hike, at least if there is no combat to increase usage. I have walked units to Coal Harbour (which was mine- Allied) several times and they all made it without supply issues. It does take three weeks to a month, but the scenery is spectacular and the salmon fishing is great!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1466
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 7:52:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

You could be right. Have to be careful here as I don´t want to tangle with the KB. Not unless its on my terms and I won´t to whittle away some more of his fighters before that. Funny thing is that he already took Belep. So if its search/recon he wanted he already had it.

This whole OP is just odd. Either its Noumea or its just an ruse to get me to reinforce SOPAC (which I won´t anyway). If its indeed Noumea its an odd way to do it to say the least!

His relative lack of success getting strategic VPs in NA may have pushed him to look at SOPAC as a source for more points. He may not go for Noumea immediately after Efate - Suva is also in his line of travel and is worth some points. The real value of Suva would be to further isolate Noumea from supply and reinforcement before he actually goes for it.

I differ on guessing where the Japanese troops from the NORPAC area will be sent - I think SOPAC is more likely since it must be clear that they will not make any difference to conquering India.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1467
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 9:53:03 PM   
JeffroK

IFF you march on Coal Harbour its possible you will be seen the moment you leave Victoria.

So have your Air Forces & Subs in place to interdict any attempts at reinforcement or evacuation. Avoid having only 1 bow in the quiver, show some amphib forces and make a lot of "noise"

Planning for India is OK but why consider Burma?? Stepping stones through the Andamans and Sumatra might be easier, defining your furtherntarget of relieving China or isolating Burma & threatening the Oil regions of Palembang should be guiding your plans.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1468
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 10:15:56 PM   
Rio Bravo

Still watching with interest.

"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1469
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/26/2015 11:21:06 PM   
Kofiman

I do find it a bit amusing hearing the terrain on the east side of Vancouver island referred to as jungle.

That does bring up a question, though, is the inside passage considered navigable? I would expect in the case of accuracy it should not be, it's narrow, twisty, and there was a blockage called 'Ripple Rock' at the time.

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Canada and India invaded! Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI