Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Loss of the family dog

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Loss of the family dog Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 9:00:07 PM   
Schanilec

Minutes later the breeder in Wisconsin calls. A litter of Chocolates are ready to go. I could barely talk to her. Crying like a mofo. She apologized. I'll talk to her tomorrow.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 31
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 9:03:12 PM   
Schanilec

Minutes later the breeder from Wisconsin calls saying ther is a litter of Chocolates ready to go. I could barely speak so soon afet the first call. She apologized. I'll call back tomorrow. Crying like a mofo right now. To much all at once at the same time.

Post #: 32
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 9:05:53 PM   
HansBolter

Four years ago I lost the last of a family that had grown to nine cats, four of whom were amputees.
After the family grew to nine I finally learned how to say no to friends asking me to take in another.

As they died off I resisted acquiring "replacements". You can never replace the ones you have lost, but you can start a relationship with a new one.
When the last of the nine died at the age of 20 I had also just lost my mother the year before after spending the prior five years caring for her in her infirmity.

When Tiger died I shared with my brother how hollow and empty I felt now that everyone who had depended on me to care and provide for them were gone, but I had never been the type to go running out to find a replacement.
I went on to say that besides, when the time was right one would find me. Either a stray would show up at the house or a friend would call asking me to take in a stray they had found.

Not an hour later I received a call from my 12 year old niece. She asked if I would take in a stray kitten a friend of her mother's had found abandoned in a plastic bag hanging form a tree on the edge of a golf course.

I started out saying "no I can't do this, not on the very day Tiger died, it isn't fair to his memory, I need time to grieve, I CAN'T do this!

In the midst of all those protestations it occurred to me that this was MEANT to happen.

That day this furry little bundle of joy I named Skeeter fell into my lap.

I truly do believe she was a gift from God.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 6/18/2015 10:06:46 PM >

Hans

Post #: 33
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 9:34:01 PM   
Schanilec

Sorry I was so broken from the last calls I thought I never sent the post not realizing a new page. But now Rascal's ashes and his Dad Boomer will sitting side by side in heaven and Earth.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 34
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 9:42:00 PM   
SilentHunter

Sad news sventhebold, agree with others the sooner you can get another the better you will start to feel better. There's no replacing them, but raising and caring for another sure helps.

(in reply to sventhebold)
Post #: 35
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 12:54:14 AM   
wdolson

My condolences. I've been there with an 18 1/2 year old cat 9 years ago now. I still miss him, but his kidneys had gone south and there was nothing left to do. The one cat we have now is 20 and in decent shape for his age, but he is declining. It's been a bad day for him. He gets a tremor sometimes and it was bad today. It's died down now, but it's still there a little bit.

I'm dreading the day we have to make the call on this guy. It may be as much as a year away (if he's lucky), but I can see the day coming.

When I go back to the agonizing decision I had to make with the 18 1/2 year old cat, I also think about how much he was suffering and it makes it easier to bear. The worst thing about cats and dogs is our lifespan is so much longer then theirs.

Oh and I've had two pretty smart cats. The one who I had to put down could open any door if it wasn't latched. And once he learned something new, he would never cast about for a solution again, he would go right to the solution. The current cat starts over from scratch every time he encounters a door he wants to get through. Another cat I had in college could open latched doors by jumping up and grabbing the handle.

Unfortunately she never learned about cars can got run over. My father saw it happen and the sound of his voice when he came in the house cradling her body still haunts me.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 36
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 1:18:21 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

My condolences. I've been there with an 18 1/2 year old cat 9 years ago now. I still miss him, but his kidneys had gone south and there was nothing left to do. The one cat we have now is 20 and in decent shape for his age, but he is declining. It's been a bad day for him. He gets a tremor sometimes and it was bad today. It's died down now, but it's still there a little bit.

I'm dreading the day we have to make the call on this guy. It may be as much as a year away (if he's lucky), but I can see the day coming.

When I go back to the agonizing decision I had to make with the 18 1/2 year old cat, I also think about how much he was suffering and it makes it easier to bear. The worst thing about cats and dogs is our lifespan is so much longer then theirs.

Oh and I've had two pretty smart cats. The one who I had to put down could open any door if it wasn't latched. And once he learned something new, he would never cast about for a solution again, he would go right to the solution. The current cat starts over from scratch every time he encounters a door he wants to get through. Another cat I had in college could open latched doors by jumping up and grabbing the handle.

Unfortunately she never learned about cars can got run over. My father saw it happen and the sound of his voice when he came in the house cradling her body still haunts me.

Bill

Geez, Bill! Sounds like our departed friends were about the same age and had the same smarts. We made a house hunting trip when relocating and had a sitter (her and her husband - two for the price of one!) stop over each day to give the insulin shot. When we got home we found a note that he had found a new hiding place. During the hunt for him they caught the other cat three times (bet he was happy!) before finally finding their quarry quieting hiding inside the bathroom vanity.

In the new house after we moved he used to go to a big draw in the kitchen island, slide it open, climb in on top of stuff, then close it and "meow" for one of us to come and play with him.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 37
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 1:39:04 AM   
sventhebold

I have been outvoted for the replacement of Callie. The girls(wife and daughter) are finally understanding what I was trying to tell them ten years ago when they decided we were going to get a dog. The decline of Callie's health over the last couple months and the inevitable loss was much more then they could handle. They now get it and do not want to do this again. I have already somewhat arranged to help walk someone elses dog. I am doing everything I can to stay busy to keep from falling apart.

ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 38
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 3:20:03 AM   
Schanilec

You know better than that. We chatted offline. A new beginning in the near future. The house is too quiet. It is to soon to decide.
The loss of Rascal was tough, very tough like Callie. But we move on as hard as it is to do, but we move on. I see another Labrador in your future. The quiet will kill you guys. I'll find out tomorrow if I drive over 700 mile to Madison Wisconsin to pick up a new Labrador, a chocolate this time.

(in reply to sventhebold)
Post #: 39
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 2:14:23 PM   
crsutton

We were at our beach home two years ago and our dog Slipper was diagnosed with an incurable blood disease. She was not doing well. Here she is on our last ride, and then she was gone two days later. You should treasure everyone in your life as if it was your last minute with them.

Attachment (1)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 40
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 2:16:50 PM   
crsutton

But then you move on. Here is Luke who we got from Golden Retriever Rescue shortly after.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 41
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 2:34:27 PM   
Schanilec

Great pic's

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 42
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 3:34:32 PM   
crsutton

OK, last one. I promise... Luke and Jax last year.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 43
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 4:09:43 PM   
Schanilec

Still great pics. I wanted to put one up, but the .jpeg's are just to large.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 44
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 6:15:33 PM   
Schanilec

Rascal is home, right next to his father (Boomer).

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 45
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 8:32:42 PM   
Schanilec

Great news. Talked to the breeder. I don't have to Drive to Waunakee WI (Over 500 miles, not 700, still a long trip). She will ship the puppy later on in the year. It is a hot weather issue. And RB will be a yellow male.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 46
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 9:11:58 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

For future reference. You can download a free utility (I use Infranview) and easily downsize photos with a click or two. You just open the photo while in the utility and re-size it. All of the above photos were too large but I was able to trim them down.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 47
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 9:22:49 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

For future reference. You can download a free utility (I use Infranview) and easily downsize photos with a click or two. You just open the photo while in the utility and re-size it. All of the above photos were too large but I was able to trim them down.

Same here. The pictures my phone takes are routinely 1 to 1.5 megs.

I often take hundreds of building photos when visiting construction sites and we archive all of them at the office.

We downsize everything to conserve storage space.

Hans

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 48
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 9:42:54 PM   
Schanilec

I'll give that a try.

Hans, are you in the architect/engineering field like me?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 49
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 10:35:51 PM   
wdolson

There is a free utility I found some years ago called PicSizer that will shrink JPGs down to whatever size you want. It can do a whole folder at a time.

Any image editor capable of editing the file format you have usually has an image size function that allows you to shrink a single picture to something smaller.

Bill

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 50
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 10:46:18 PM   
Schanilec

That sounds good. I downloaded infranview and I have no idea where it is located. I'll give PicSizer a try. Thanks much wdolson.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 51
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 10:53:46 PM   
Schanilec

PicSizer is there. Don't know how to use it. First attempt.....fail.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 52
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/19/2015 10:57:45 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Geez, Bill! Sounds like our departed friends were about the same age and had the same smarts. We made a house hunting trip when relocating and had a sitter (her and her husband - two for the price of one!) stop over each day to give the insulin shot. When we got home we found a note that he had found a new hiding place. During the hunt for him they caught the other cat three times (bet he was happy!) before finally finding their quarry quieting hiding inside the bathroom vanity.

In the new house after we moved he used to go to a big draw in the kitchen island, slide it open, climb in on top of stuff, then close it and "meow" for one of us to come and play with him.

I have given cats their booster shots, but I never gave daily injections or an IV. The 18 1/2 year old did get a daily thyroid pill, I got very good with a pill gun. The current cat when he gets his tremors, they calm down when I give him some valerian. We have some tincture I cut with some water, then load up an eye dropper and squirt it in his mouth. He's 1/2 rag doll, so when he wants out of something he goes boneless. It's like trying to hold onto a blob of wrestling Jello. I have to be fast with him.

The current cat is quite a character. My SO is more of a dog person (she still misses her standard poodle who died almost a decade ago), but she does like this cat. She's determined he's probably half Ragdoll and half Norwegian Forest Cat. He has the coloring and fur of the Forest Cat as well as the appetite. He's like a dog when it comes to food. He's always looking for more, though he doesn't overeat. He's always had good quality dry food available and makes a major fuss if the bowl gets less than 1/2 full.

But he's always cruising for snacks too. He eats just about anything edible that falls on the floor. Most fruits and vegetables are about the only things he won't eat, though he does like pineapple juice. My So loves popcorn and eats it several times a week. If she puts the bowl on the floor, the cat is over there cleaning it within a few minutes. He can't jump anymore and I taught him to fear getting on the counters, so he's limited to what he can find at floor level.

Last year I thought he was a goner. He's been a little chubby his entire life, but started losing weight over about a six month period. Then one day his cheek swelled up. I finally got him to the vet and it turned out one of his molars was abscessed. He had to have it removed along with a couple of small front teeth that were also going and he went right back to his old weight in fairly short order. The vet was amazed at how fast he put the weight back on. She is used to elderly cats being skin and bones and he was when he came in with the tooth thing, but I guess it's unusual for an elderly cat to put on weight like he did.

An employee at the pet store told us that cats lose their sense of smell as they get older, but they need to be able to smell and taste their food or they won't think it's good. I got a dry food that is a mix of fishes. It smell quite strongly (I hold my breath when I pour it out for him), but the cat loves it.

He kind of staggers around the house somewhat. His back legs are weak enough he waddles when he walks, but he's still just as big a foodie as ever and he seems to enjoy life. He manages to get up and down the stairs every day. His food is still downstairs and his favorite sleeping spot and the cat box are upstairs. When we're around he prefers to go outside, but it's usually only for about 10 minutes to do his thing, sniff a thing or two and then come back in.

The weak back legs is a sign of the failing kidneys, they usually go together from what I've read. I've also read that for both cats and dogs, if they live long enough, the kidneys are what's going to get them. It's probably the carnivorous diet. Protein is hard on kidneys.

Bill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 53
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/20/2015 1:34:23 AM   
Schanilec

That is quite the character you have there. Reminds of a buddies family cat many years ago. He lived to 21 yrs. Quite the cat. I'm not a cat person, but I really liked that cat. Afraid of birds and the birds knew it. Dived on him all the time. But had no problem taking on the St. Bernard arcoss the street. That cat would always lay on my lap when I was over and I'd stroke him into full blown purr that would ressinate throughout the basement family room and always digging and contracting his claws into my thighs.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 54
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/20/2015 2:28:39 AM   
wdolson

He's quite the character. He turned up in my front yard one night. I put up a flyer about finding him, but nobody claimed him. One of the neighbors told me she saw him hanging around the neighborhood for a couple of days before he found me.

His coat pattern is very similar to the cat who died at 18 1/2 (including the same shaped blotch across his nose). I came home in the dark I thought the older cat was out (though I thought I left him in). I called him over and this cat came running right to me with this look of "I'm here!" on his face. He's very bonded to me. He is ultra friendly with anyone I like, but he steers clear of anyone I don't like or he doesn't know. I noticed he was picking up on my feelings about people when he avoided someone who was coming over who was an annoying pain (I like her husband, but she is an ultra prima donna narcisist). He comes over to say hi to everyone who comes over, but he's always avoided this one woman. I've never seen him go anywhere near her.

The two best cats I've ever had were ones who found me. The cat who lived to be 18 1/2 showed up while I was studying for my last final of my college career. I was sitting in my car eating lunch and this kitten about 6 months old showed up. A lot of people dump cats on campus at the end of term when they have to give up their apartments, so I thought he might have been recently dumped. I thought his interest might be that he smelled my just finished lunch, but he showed no interest in my food. After greeting me, he climbed into the backseat and very deliberately curled up.

I was moving to Seattle in a few weeks, so I didn't think I could take him, but my sister has acreage and a lot of cats so I thought she could take him. He was a long hair and my sister lived in the San Joaquin Valley in California where fox tail grass is a common weed. They have a nasty seed that burrows into the skin. Her short hair cats have no problem with them, but she said she had to brush the cat daily to prevent the fox tails from burrowing into his skin. She arranged to get him to me and he settled right in. He was a super gentle cat with people. He had no problem using his claws when he needed to, but when he played with people he always kept his claws retracted. He never quite got the concept of skin being under clothes and sometimes would use claws over clothing, but he never unsheathed his claws over bare skin, even when I gave him a bath.

This coming up today is a little odd, it's the 28th anniversary of the day I started work at Boeing in Seattle. That cat and my time there are kind of tied together.

Bill

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 55
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/20/2015 2:38:05 AM   
Schanilec

Sam (the cat I described was like that) Try to rough house with him, no claws but would lightly bite the knuckles to say get back to the stroking. I didn't know people would do that and drop off cats on a campus. Freakin' idiots. They should be dropped off 30 miles off the coast and left to find thier way back.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 56
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/20/2015 4:40:28 AM   
geofflambert

I want to hear (when I'm dead) at my funeral Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide". I've posted this before but here's an alternative when mourning your companion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJhax7Jmxs

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 57
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/20/2015 4:56:17 AM   
Schanilec

Very nice. A Gorn with a heart. You big lovable reptile lug you. [A punch on the shoulder] Counting my fingers.

For my boys 'Ich Hatt Einen Kameraden'.

< Message edited by Schanilec -- 6/20/2015 6:10:38 AM >

Post #: 58
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/20/2015 5:09:26 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

Very nice. A Gorn with a heart. You big lovable reptile lug you. [A punch on the shoulder] Counting my fingers.

For my boys 'Ich Hatt Einen Komeraden'.

I take that as an insult. Gorns have three hearts, two more than you have.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 59
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/20/2015 5:11:04 AM   
Schanilec

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Loss of the family dog Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI