Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F started in August

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F started in August Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F started i... - 8/21/2015 1:22:06 PM   
mikmykWS

Another great article from NR.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3021

Slowly moving forward on this.

Mike

Post #: 1
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/22/2015 7:02:47 AM   
ComDev

Thanks for the heads-up

Anyone know the designation of this weapon? AGM-179 perhaps?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/22/2015 1:42:48 PM   
xavierv

^ I can try to ask again (both NAVAIR and LM) but back in April it was still not picked

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/24/2015 3:38:03 PM   
xavierv

TADA!

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3034

(in reply to xavierv)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/24/2015 4:43:51 PM   
Tomcat84

Nice scoop :)

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

(in reply to xavierv)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/24/2015 6:09:32 PM   
NakedWeasel

I posted this article in the Command Facebook Group page last night, and I posted this comment/question:

First, I'd like to be the first to say that is one sexy anti-ship missile in satin black.

But seriously, I am trying to figure out how LRASM and JSM fits into the same roadmap. Are we going to be potentially fielding 3 new ASM weapons, (including the TLAM MMMT)? I would absolutely love to think so, as they all have unique capabilities- but they all seem to have some overlap as well.
The TLAM can be launched by ship or sub, has long range, but AFAIK has no air launch capability.
The LRASM is air and surface launch capable, is slightly smaller and lighter than a Tomahawk, but cannot be launched from a sub, or the F-35 unless carried externally.
The JSM is again even smaller than both LRASM and TLAM MMMT, can be carried in larger numbers, and can be launched from air, (including internally from the F-35), as well as surface and sub-surface platforms. It just doesn't hit quite as hard as the other two.

So what's up? Are we producing 3 different ASMs right now with the intention of fielding all three? Enquiring minds want to know.

Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 6
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/24/2015 7:02:04 PM   
SeaQueen

LRASM is intended to be a much more capable, long-range, stealthy follow-on to the Harpoon. Tomahawk MMT is intended to be an interim solution. JSM is a smaller anti-ship missile intended to fit inside the bomb-bay of an F-35. The small size imposes limitations on it, though, forcing the engineers to trade off between range and warhead size. Longer range -> Smaller Warhead, Shorter-Range -> Larger Warhead. That means that it's probably less useful against high-threat targets armed with strategic SAM, where you want the extra range so you don't have to get too close to them, and the smaller warhead size means it's less likely for a weapon that hits its target to put it out of action.

quote:

But seriously, I am trying to figure out how LRASM and JSM fits into the same roadmap. Are we going to be potentially fielding 3 new ASM weapons, (including the TLAM MMMT)? I would absolutely love to think so, as they all have unique capabilities- but they all seem to have some overlap as well.
The TLAM can be launched by ship or sub, has long range, but AFAIK has no air launch capability.
The LRASM is air and surface launch capable, is slightly smaller and lighter than a Tomahawk, but cannot be launched from a sub, or the F-35 unless carried externally.
The JSM is again even smaller than both LRASM and TLAM MMMT, can be carried in larger numbers, and can be launched from air, (including internally from the F-35), as well as surface and sub-surface platforms. It just doesn't hit quite as hard as the other two.

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 8/24/2015 8:03:06 PM >

(in reply to NakedWeasel)
Post #: 7
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/24/2015 7:43:21 PM   
Cheechako

quote:

ORIGINAL: NakedWeasel

I posted this article in the Command Facebook Group page last night, and I posted this comment/question:

First, I'd like to be the first to say that is one sexy anti-ship missile in satin black.

So what's up? Are we producing 3 different ASMs right now with the intention of fielding all three? Enquiring minds want to know.

Also potentially add the NSM (I know it's almost identical to the JSM but...) There's a RFI out for the LCS for an OTH missile. From everything on the net, it seems that missile will probably be either the harpoon or NSM.

Post #: 8
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/24/2015 8:29:17 PM   
ComDev

Good job on the designation, I've updated the database. Thanks!

(in reply to Cheechako)
Post #: 9
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/24/2015 8:30:57 PM   
ComDev

The AGM-158C LRASM is more than twice the weight of the JSM

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 10
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/25/2015 12:07:10 AM   
mikmykWS

Nice work!

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 11
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/25/2015 6:58:13 AM   
xavierv

Don't forget "Harpoon Next Generation" that will compete for LCS OTH weapon (but not for AOSUW Increment II)

quote:

The LRASM is air and surface launch capable, is slightly smaller and lighter than a Tomahawk, but cannot be launched from a sub

LM is working on a sub launched variant actually

Post #: 12
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/25/2015 4:12:59 PM   
NakedWeasel

Yes I did see that. I also saw that Kongsberg was developing a sub-launched variant of the NSM as well.

And so fight on!

(in reply to xavierv)
Post #: 13
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/25/2015 5:39:25 PM   
Cheechako

quote:

Yes I did see that. I also saw that Kongsberg was developing a sub-launched variant of the NSM as well.

I thought the sub-launch version was actually based on the JSM.

Post #: 14
RE: Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F start... - 8/26/2015 6:16:31 AM   
NakedWeasel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheechako

quote:

I thought the sub-launch version was actually based on the JSM.

Possibly. It gets a little confusing. I'm a bit too tired at the moment to research it, but I am reasonably certain I saw a graphic from Kongsberg that depicted a containerized, tube-launched missile.

And so fight on!

(in reply to Cheechako)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Naval Recognition: LRASM testing on F/A-18E/F started in August Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI