Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/19/2015 12:37:14 PM   
76mm

hmmm, I see what you mean. I will try to take a look.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 91
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/19/2015 12:38:21 PM   
Crossroads

Good luck!

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 92
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/19/2015 12:40:45 PM   
Crossroads

I guess one option would be to have frosting to surround all edges of the marker, not just as a bottom-right shadowing like I did.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 93
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/19/2015 1:20:09 PM   
berto

Frosting all around -- only if really needed.

Dark gray, no color -- for sure, please.

But much better than the old, too bold, unsightly crosshair markers. So bold as to draw the eye more to them than any other map feature. Even if a bit harder to see, I prefer the new-fangled, more muted target markers.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 94
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/19/2015 2:46:36 PM   
berto

A new menu choice: Options > Details > Persistent:

Before, the Damage Report dialog would show, then remain until you clicked it, else would vanish automatically, depending on the Options > Details setting, whether or not FOW is active, etc.

With Options > Details > Persistent, you will control the Damage Report keep-alive directly. With the Persistent choice toggled ON, the Damage Report remains until you click the x control in the upper right corder, else you hit the Esc key. With the Persistent choice toggled OFF, the Damage Report will display for a time (varies by how much detail is shown), then vanish automatically, without your having to do anything.

Before, Damage Report persistence was a bit of a mystery, and not quite handled satisfactorily. In future, you will specify its behavior straightforwardly.

Note the new Damage Report look, which uses the Campaign Series: Middle East box art. Other dialogs and controls, too, have been given the Box Art treatment. Here is the new Command Report:

Available in all future patches and updates.

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 95
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/19/2015 3:55:19 PM   
76mm

OK, I modded one of the Icon files (Icon7d) from the zip file, but I don't see any changes in the game, and see an awful lot of Icon files. What should I be changing?

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 96
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/19/2015 4:08:10 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

OK, I modded one of the Icon files (Icon7d) from the zip file, but I don't see any changes in the game, and see an awful lot of Icon files. What should I be changing?

icon7d.bmp is the one you should see in your 2D Zoom-In View. If you put it in as a mod, did you have the proper folder structure? Or, do you happen to have the Unit Viewer open while activating the mod with JSGME (as it locks the original file and prevents JSGME from changing it)? Those would be the Top 2 reasons why a mod would not seem to make a change.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 97
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/20/2015 12:05:11 AM   
76mm

doh, I was using a png file rather than a bmp...

I took your version and made it easier to see; personally I like it better:

I've only done the 2d zoom-in so far, if others like it I can finish the others zoom levels and post it somewhere.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 98
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/20/2015 10:06:45 AM   
76mm

OK, despite the overwhelming lack of demand, I went ahead and did the other levels as well with the pinkish hue. Here it is if anyone wants it:
Pink Frosted Arty Crosshairs

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 99
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/20/2015 10:30:04 AM   
Crossroads

Thanks! I will include a pointer to these in my Mods ToC post

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 100
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/20/2015 1:27:43 PM   
dox44

thanks for the offer!

i'm giving them a go in "endgame at Jenin 6June67...its going to take some time to adjust to
salmon frosted crosshairs in a wargame.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 101
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/20/2015 1:50:47 PM   
76mm

quote:

i'm giving them a go in "endgame at Jenin 6June67...its going to take some time to adjust to

Yeah, I might give neon green a whirl if I don't like the pink ones...

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 102
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/20/2015 3:54:53 PM   
berto

We're officially opting for the dark gray (and frosted) ones.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 103
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/20/2015 5:44:59 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I might give neon green a whirl if I don't like the pink ones...

Very difficult to pin down them as you have found out. Please post any variations you come up with

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

We're officially opting for the dark gray (and frosted) ones.

Grey and frosted on one side, that's the plan for now at least.

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 12/20/2015 7:00:01 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 104
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/21/2015 5:29:46 PM   
Crossroads

One more thing to do before work resuming with CS: Vietnam come January is to put the finishing touches in place for the 1.02 UPDATE, due in late January / early February.

This would include the final climatization of the 2D terrain.

See here:

1.00 / 1.01 2D Terrain

Desert panorama:

Mediterranean panorama:

1.02 Work-in-Progress 2D Terrain

Desert panorama:

Mediterranean panorama:

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 105
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/21/2015 6:11:53 PM   
comte

I know you guys are busy but is there any chance you are going to add mouse wheel support for zoom? Or is it something that can't be done with this engine. The Tiller games have it. It would be real handy to zoom in and out with the mouse instead of using the menu's. I asked before but just wanted to see if it's possible.

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 12/21/2015 7:12:30 PM >

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 106
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/21/2015 6:51:40 PM   
berto

No, no mouse wheel zoom in the near term.

"instead of using the menus" -- Why are you not in the habit of using the hot keys 1 through 7 to switch zoom modes?

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 107
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/21/2015 8:33:46 PM   
comte

quote:

No, no mouse wheel zoom in the near term.

"instead of using the menus" -- Why are you not in the habit of using the hot keys 1 through 7 to switch zoom modes?

I am already used to clicking on the menu's and stuff. Just used to playing HPS's Tiller games and they have the mouse wheel Zoom. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 108
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/21/2015 9:10:41 PM   
berto

When deciding how to prioritize my limited time near term, I decided against doing stuff for which there is a handy alternative. "Handy", as in left hand. So much use of the right mouse hand in JT games! Why not put the otherwise idle left hand to good use?

Hot keys!

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 109
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/22/2015 12:32:38 AM   
Plodder

quote:

Why not put the otherwise idle left hand to good use?

Because it's usually holding the brew!

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 110
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/22/2015 3:13:51 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

quote:

Hahaha! +1!

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 111
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/22/2015 6:39:41 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

quote:

Hahaha! +1!

Jason, I believe this calls for the expansion of our Campaign Series Accessories Range.

From Wreck Marker T-shirts, to Beer Helmets! Need to be available in proper camo patterns, of course.

Problem solved!

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 112
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/23/2015 6:35:58 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

Not to pick nits, but mouse wheel zoom is so much a part of the basic game vocabulary now, across all types and genres of games, that it's sort of not ok not to support it. Using number keys is soooo 20th century :). Seriously, though, pretty much every game of any time these days that has any sort of zoom function--whether map or weapon or camera--uses the mouse wheel. Most gamers will expect that as a default. I'd argue it's not ephemeral, and that the number keys are not a handy alternative. They're a kludge.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 113
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/23/2015 7:51:03 PM   
Crossroads

Cheers Wombat,

Mouse wheel zoom is a wish list item for us too. There's a larger and more profound user interface revamp in the drawing board atm. We are finalising the first draft of VN project plan, and once all that is sorted we'll know more as what gets implemented when. In the meanwhile we thank you all for your patience.

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 114
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/23/2015 9:01:25 PM   
76mm

Crossroads, thanks for your feedback, but I'd like to agree with Wombat on this one; also, this seems to be one of the most requested features, so please keep it as high as possible on your list.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 115
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/24/2015 10:01:15 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

Crossroads, thanks for your feedback, but I'd like to agree with Wombat on this one; also, this seems to be one of the most requested features, so please keep it as high as possible on your list.

Duly noted.

To be honest the purpose of this pre-Xmas beta was not to add new coding as such, rather just new graphics, scenarios and some bug fixes.

But given how the old cursors were something that forced a few users to consider hacking the game executable in order to have a game they can play, it was obvious that could wait no longer.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 116
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/28/2015 8:06:33 PM   
Crossroads

From the 1.02 UPDATE Open Beta thread and regarding the elevation changes on 2D map and the subtle color scale that goes with the each elevation:

quote:

It was decided to up the number of elevations from 20 to 50. We live with the consequences.

Yes, the 'c' (Contour) and '.' (Elevations) hot keys are, in part, the answer.

Decision was indeed made, for there is a need for that. We've been talking about this on our internal dev forum as well. See here:

quote:

ORIGINAL: K K Rossokolski

I have no comment, but here is a part of a map of mine (WIP) featuring the solitary Nui Ba Den in Tay Ninh province, a hot area throughout the war. Delta is 20, peak is just short of 1000 m high, rising from land barely above sea level. Feel free to play with it

And play I did, placing the CS:ME 1.02 Mediterranean tiles on an early CS: Vietnam build:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Thanks Rod, most helpful! Doesn't look that bad now does it! This is with 1.02 Open Beta terrain, so the clear terrain tiles with 35% desaturation and terrain, vegetation effects with 20% desaturation.

And with elevations visible:

quote:

Here's the above with Elevations toggled ON. 2D Normal View in real size, saved as PNG files, from my dropbox. Gorgeous!

I got this sudden urge to tell my men to fix their bayonets and charge up that hill...

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 117
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/28/2015 8:08:57 PM   
Crossroads

Work in progress of course. I will next do a version of terrain elevations with desaturation growing higher the elevation. The most dark, highest elevation can be more washed down, while lower terrain could be a tad crisper than what with 1.02 Beta.

That's the theory anyway

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 118
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/28/2015 11:02:09 PM   
Nicholas Bell

quote:

Work in progress of course. I will next do a version of terrain elevations with desaturation growing higher the elevation. The most dark, highest elevation can be more washed down, while lower terrain could be a tad crisper than what with 1.02 Beta.

That's the theory anyway

I like your approach, Crossroads. Really tough to depict all those elevations using the same desert palette, but proving it is possible without getting garish.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 119
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 12/31/2015 8:33:42 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicholas Bell

quote:

That's the theory anyway

I like your approach, Crossroads. Really tough to depict all those elevations using the same desert palette, but proving it is possible without getting garish.

Thank you Nicholas

The next 1.02 UPDATE Open Beta will try out the following set-up:

• Elevation levels 00-09: 20% desaturation, lightness (all vegatation, terrain, sides tiles etc are with 20% as well)
  • Elevation levels 10-19: 25% desaturation, lightness
  • Elevation levels 20-29: 30% desaturation, lightness
  • Elevation levels 30-39: 35% desaturation, lightness (as all the 1.02 beta clear terrain tiles are at the moment)
  • Elevation levels 40-49: 40% desaturation, 35% lightness

It is quite a manual process to process each section of each file in this manner, but hey once the proper balance is found it needs to be done only once. I've just now managed to modify all 2D Zoom-In View level files in this manner, and should have the sets completed over the coming long weekend.

It's the maps such as the VN map I showed that makes all this worth the effort. Playing those maps with high elevation deltas looks like a lot of fun!

(in reply to Nicholas Bell)
  • Post #: 120
    Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI