Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/17/2015 4:07:41 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Worst start ever as Japan. I'll update the first week of the war shortly, but so far I'm extremely frustrated with the poor performance of the IJA and IJN. One won't fly while the other can't hit the broadside of a BB. Oh well.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 121
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/17/2015 2:20:35 PM   
SqzMyLemon

So far it's been a rocky start for the bad guys. As mentioned earlier, the biggest problem I'm having is adjusting to the reduced aviation support available. I've reduced the aircraft over stacking at my forward bases, but since Dec. 8th Japanese LBA will not launch against targets within range in Malaya or the Philippines. I'm in the process of deploying aviation support forward in both theatres, but essentially my greatest asset is grounded until I get the mess sorted out. Rear bases are massively over stacked and full of aircraft needing service, but there isn't enough aviation support available. Japanese fighter effectiveness has been severely reduced as a result of flying at long range and pilot fatigue is becoming a major concern.

I'm learning an important lesson that will influence how I plan to conduct air operations moving forward.

With the poor performance of the air force, I've had to rely heavily on the navy and well, it hasn't been pretty. Normally effective Japanese submarines haven't hit anything larger than an xAKL. Any other target has been missed or hit with a dud. When Japanese naval assets have engaged their Allied counterparts, the results have been bad for the IJN. The latest debacle has resulted in the loss of BB Haruna against Force Z on Dec. 12th. Details will follow when I do an update of the first week.

Japanese morale is in the tank with my worst start ever in a PBEM. Whatever can go wrong right now...is.

However, it's early and too soon to panic. The Australian operation is still a go. The pieces are almost in place to launch my multi-phase offensive in the DEI, New Guinea and the Solomons prior to setting sail for down under. It's Australia or bust.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/17/2015 4:48:59 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 122
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/17/2015 2:53:12 PM   
Lowpe

Way too early to panic....follow your plan and stay flexible.

It is a long game...heck, Obvert lost the KB off Pearl on Dec 8th and did amazingly well.

There is always the fallback strategy of less than historical expansion, and a bitter defense.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 123
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/17/2015 3:54:31 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Way too early to panic....follow your plan and stay flexible.

It is a long game...heck, Obvert lost the KB off Pearl on Dec 8th and did amazingly well.

There is always the fallback strategy of less than historical expansion, and a bitter defense.

I know. I'm frustrated in general with RL issues, the game not going well is just piling it on. I'll take my lumps in the game and get it sorted out, but so far performance is underwhelming.

I've started going over a number of old AAR's to see the effects of DBB and what other players have done. I should have done this before I started.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/17/2015 6:39:13 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 124
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/18/2015 8:33:12 PM   
SqzMyLemon

The first of the units assigned to Australian operations have begun arriving at Babeldoab and Truk. It's going to take some fancy logistic work to organize the assault shipping loads without exceeding stacking limits at both bases. When Rabaul and Manus are taken I'll have more SL flexibility to arrange final amphibious assault load outs. The initial priority was to get the units forward as efficiently as possible, now I have to set up the TF's for quick unloading under combat conditions. One thing I have noticed to date is the majority of my amphibious operations have unloaded inadequate amounts of supply during the initial landings. I believe it will be in my best interest to have smaller TF's of xAKL's dedicated to unloading supply only, while setting most of my assault TF's to troop load outs only.

The plan is becoming clearer as the assault forces gather. It is going to require a monumental logistics effort on my part to insure all the pieces are in place for a chance at victory. The exact timeline for preparations to be complete is a little unclear, but I hope to land within the second week of January at the latest.

KB is three days away from rearming/refueling at Truk. Once ready, it will swing south to support landings at Manus, Rabaul and Port Moresby. I may invade PM a little light in an effort to draw Australian reinforcements to northeastern Australia, Horn Island and even PM itself. Anything to draw strength away from Sydney.

While the amphibious operations against Rabaul are underway, Japanese forces will move against Ambon, Balikpapan, Kendari, Tarakan and Timor in the DEI.

I'll be sending the Dec. 14th turn to Francois tonight, then I will begin posting screenshots updating the war to date.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 125
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/19/2015 12:29:16 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

I've started going over a number of old AAR's to see the effects of DBB and what other players have done.

Never played it. Sorry, so I have little advice on DBB specific issues.

My only comment would be that John specifically intended to slow down the pace of the game by a factor of at least 2. Being a dev, he would have known exactly how to do that.
So, if you original plan said to be doing something in 6 weeks, you need to think that it will be 12 weeks instead...

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 11/19/2015 1:30:09 PM >

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 126
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/19/2015 4:01:43 PM   
SqzMyLemon

It's all good Pax. My previous posts made it out to be worse than it is. It's just my poor play adjusting to the changes.

I thought by looking at some other AAR's I'd get an idea of how to compensate moving forward and compare timelines of expansion.

I have aviation support arriving at forward positions now, so I'll be much more effective.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 127
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/20/2015 5:02:40 AM   
SqzMyLemon

How many Japanese CA's does it take to sink CL Boise and live to tell the tale?

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 128
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/20/2015 5:15:44 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Boise is a tough one. I've put two air torpedoes into her on different occasions in my game, and lit some fires from surface combat, and she still isn't sunk.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 129
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/20/2015 3:41:59 PM   
GetAssista

Brooklyns were absolute beasts in earlier betas with ridiculous turret armor until just recently as far as I recall. Now they are more reasonable, but the reputation is still there :)

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 130
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/20/2015 4:15:26 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Trick question!

None, the Boise cannot be sunk!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 131
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/21/2015 11:00:10 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

Trick question!

None, the Boise cannot be sunk!

In my case it took four CA's and four DD's to take on CA Houston and CL Boise, losing one CA and DD while having a second CA severely damaged. I had hoped my superior numbers against two Allied cruisers with no DD support would have landed a few long lance hits, but no joy there. CA Houston was flushed out into range of CVE Hosho and CVL Zuiho, but the Kate's failed to score any hits.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/23/2015 9:53:14 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 132
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/21/2015 11:13:18 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I tried something really stupid today. Francois is redeploying troops throughout the DEI and I just don't seem to be able to interdict the important Allied TF's. I have no problem finding and destroying the low hanging fruit like xAKL's, but when I run up against juicier targets the results are just not that great. Anyway, I digress. I had spotted two large Allied transport TF's heading to Singapore and I had four DD's in a TF nearby, so I ordered an interception at Singapore. I know it was a suicide mission, but in the spirit of Bushido I thought I might be able to take out some transports loaded with troops, or prevent some from evacuating Singapore at least. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Singapore at 50,84, Range 19,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Fubuki
DD Usugumo
DD Shirayuki
DD Hatsuyuki

Allied Ships
DD Edsall
DD John D. Edwards
xAP Glenorchy
xAP Kota Radja
xAP Bontekoe
xAP Tjisaroea
xAP Van Riebeek
xAP Van Neck
xAP Van Overstraten
xAP Van Rees
xAP Van Spilbergen

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 28,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 19,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 19,000 yards
Both TF attempt to withdraw!
Range increases to 19,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat

Really? Comon

Then this :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval Gun Fire at Singapore - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

58 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DD Hatsuyuki, Shell hits 21, Mine hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Shirayuki, Shell hits 16, Mine hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Usugumo, Shell hits 3, Mine hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Fubuki, Shell hits 3, Mine hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Singapore Fortress firing at DD Hatsuyuki
Singapore Fortress firing at DD Shirayuki
Singapore Fortress firing at DD Usugumo
Singapore Fortress firing at DD Fubuki
DD Fubuki firing at Singapore Fortress

I clearly had no idea how my TF would react, but it sucks that they avoided such a soft Allied TF only to get wiped out for nothing. Oh well, I really don't care at this point because my entire Malaya campaign is pooched because my LCU's all have fatigue in the high 20's and they are moving at a snail's pace. I should have landed at Mersing, but I've never encountered fatigue effects like these before. I landed a number of regiments by amphibious landing at Kuantan, and after taking the base they have only moved 18 miles in move mode after five days...WTF.

It appears Palembang is being reinforced with eight Allied units present according to recon. Since my attempt to move quickly at Kuantan has failed, I will get a division worth of troops from Kota Bharu and invade Palembang.

I've been meaning to update, but I'd rather put the time into the turns. I hope Francois is giving a blow by blow account for the readers of my inept return to playing the Japanese.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/22/2015 12:14:20 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 133
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/21/2015 11:39:02 PM   
spence

I feel your pain, sort of. IMHO your DDs should have attacked the transports. But in like circumstances my PT boats, who lived for nothing more than to put a torpedo into an enemy BB, "evaded combat" over and over again for turn after turn in a PBEM (Efate to Luganville) even though on moonless nights they detected the enemy on radar long before the enemy detected them. Frankly it seems like the "evaded combat" probabilities used by the AI are a bit too high.

However an interception in an enemy harbor covered by lots of CD guns ought to be a real suicide mission. Doesn't seem quite right that the game resolves the combat in two separate combats though...the sequencing program is most likely at fault...IMHO one combined combat would be more realistic...if you're gonna send some ships on a suicide mission at least you should know that that is what you are doing.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 134
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/22/2015 12:23:06 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I feel your pain, sort of. IMHO your DDs should have attacked the transports.

I'm just not playing smart. I knew sending those four DD's to Singapore was a dumb idea, whether they attacked the Allied TF or not. I'm rushing and it shows. I need to step back, gather myself and play my game. I'm getting what I wanted, an aggressive Allied defence in Burma, China and the DEI, the only problem is not setting myself up to take full advantage.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 135
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/22/2015 12:27:23 AM   
SqzMyLemon

On a positive note, I found out where the Allied CV's were today.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Rarotonga at 149,179

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 10
F4F-3A Wildcat x 11
SBD-2 Dauntless x 15
SBD-3 Dauntless x 11

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AMC Hokoku Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AMC Aikoku Maru

Where there's one...

If Francois sends the American CV's to Australia they could end up right where I want them.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 136
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/22/2015 2:44:23 AM   
SqzMyLemon

China Theatre Dec. 17/41.

IJA 13th Army is tasked with the capture of Chuhsien, Pucheng, Wenchow, Kanshien and Kukong.

Forces assigned:

13th Army HQ
11th IMB
12th IMB
13th IMB
20th IMB
15th Div.
17th Div.
22nd Div.
116th Div.
8th Armoured Car Co.

IJA 11th Army is tasked with the investment of Changsha and capture of Pingsiang, Hengyang, Siangtan, Shaoyang and Kweilin.

Forces assigned:

11th Army HQ
14th IMB
18th IMB
3rd Div.
6th Div.
34th Div.
39th Div.
40th Div.
9th Armoured Car Co.
2nd Ind. Eng. Rgt.
8th Ind. Eng. Rgt.

It's clear to me Francois enjoys the China theatre and will devote time and effort into defending it. Initial enemy moves indicate a general withdrawal from clear terrain hexes and deployment to positions in more defensible terrain. Normally, I would seek to isolate and encircle concentrations of Chinese forces and destroy them in detail. I will not be adhering to those tactics in China, in light of my focus on an Australian campaign first. The priority as I see it, in China, is to initially punch through the Chinese defence and strike deep into the heart of the country capturing Kweiyang. With the Japanese focus on Pacific expansion in the first 4 months of the war, the Burma theatre is going to be critically weak until the (successful?) conclusion of Australian operations. I don't have the time to simply push the Chinese back, but need to close off access to China via Burma internally with restricted Japanese forces. Recent Allied deployments indicate Burma is going to be contested early, and in strength, as both Moulmein and Rangoon are being heavily reinforced according to recon reports, with the obvious goal of supporting China. I'll explain my China plans more fully in future updates, but I'm going to be running some risks that may prove disastrous.

Malaya up next...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/22/2015 3:52:15 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 137
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 5:12:01 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'm facing something I have no experience with, and that's an Allied forward defence and reinforcement of Burma and apparently Port Blair as well. I can't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but there are at least 6-8 units at Moulmein and 12-15 at Rangoon. Colours indicates Indian troops are present, so some have been redeployed from Singapore, or they were sailed in from India.

I had the IJA Imperial Guards Division moving on Moulmein, but in light of the Allied numbers at the base I've ordered it back to Malaya proper to speed the capture of Singapore. It can't achieve anything on it's own against the numbers I'm facing. The slow pace of advance in Malaya means Singapore will probably not fall until early February, possibly sooner if Francois has redeployed Commonwealth units from the base. Right now recon indicates 17 enemy LCU's at Singapore and maybe another eight still scattered throughout Malaya. Can I afford to wait until Singapore falls before I push into Burma. I can't do both at the same time, which Francois knows.

I think Singapore has to be taken before I can have freedom of movement in the region, but I'm going to have to pay attention to Burma far sooner than I would have liked. I'm wondering on the impact on the Japanese war effort if I leave Burma to fester too long. I'd hate to have Francois' actions dictate my strategy, but can a successful operation against Australia upset Allied plans in Burma? I'm definitely going to provide him even more troops for Burma with the Australian emergency package if I invade as planned. I'm going to be crunching some numbers later tonight to see if capturing Australia alone can threaten AV, and ask myself if it is more prudent to pursue a strategic bombing campaign or full invasion. The first will garner VP's, but not seriously threaten the overall Allied position. The second could win me the game if successful.

Not even two weeks into the war and it feels like this decision will be the most important one of the entire game.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/23/2015 6:15:38 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 138
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 5:31:15 PM   
SqzMyLemon

On a positive note, Japan's A-Team is back in the war. I'll update more fully later, but Japanese troops landed at Kavieng on Dec. 16th to start things off in the New Guinea/Solomons theatre. The Rabaul amphibious invasion TF is following supported by KB. On the 18th, KB located seven hexes away from Rabaul, catches an Allied cruiser force at the base. All Japanese aircraft carried bombs (to conserve torpedoes) and despite just 60kg bombs on the Val's, it appears two Allied CA's were sunk in a morning attack. Unfortunately, there was no afternoon strike.

The initial plan remains to capture Manus and Rabaul while investing Port Moresby to encourage Allied commitment to Northeast Australia. Five of seven Japanese divisions are awaiting the capture of Manus and Rabaul before deploying to combat load outs for the amphibious assaults. I'm still going ahead with preparations for a full invasion of Australia, but the final go is pending my decision on the impact to the future Burma campaign.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/23/2015 6:32:23 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 139
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 5:45:53 PM   
Encircled

My only caveat to that would be how confident would you be in being able to cut Burma off at will, if you are heavily involved in Oz?

If he's established in strength at Port Blair et al, then your oil sources are in real trouble, and a lot earlier that you'd like.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 140
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 5:54:05 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

My only caveat to that would be how confident would you be in being able to cut Burma off at will, if you are heavily involved in Oz?

If he's established in strength at Port Blair et al, then your oil sources are in real trouble, and a lot earlier that you'd like.

My thinking is if, and it's a big if, I can capture Sydney in January or February the Australian campaign is all but over. If Melbourne turns out to be impossible to take, I can strat bomb the industry and aircraft factories, consolidate the rest of the country and turn my attention to trapping all the Allied units committed to Burma with amphibious landings by June at the latest. In the meantime, I could try Java on the cheap and immediately send 3-4 Divisions freed up from the capture of Singapore to Burma. Plus, I could have another division or two available after being bought out from Korea during this time.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 141
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 6:21:50 PM   
Encircled

If you can capture Sydney in Jan/Feb, then you are right!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 142
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 7:13:23 PM   
SqzMyLemon

A note on other happenings. In the Philippines it appears Allied dispositions are divided among three positions. Eight units are at Lingayen, seven at Clark Field and 13 at Manila. I'm guessing that Francois wants to hold Manila as long as possible rather than give up and retreat to Bataan. I will look at reinforcing Luzon and try to defeat a portion of the Allied force in detail if they remain divided. There are 30+ Allied ships still in port at Manila according to recon.

A Japanese amphibious force is sailing for Balikpapan and should arrive in 2-3 days. An amphibious invasion force is loading at Manado and will attack Ambon within 3-4 days.

Japanese efforts to gain local air superiority over Singapore began on Dec. 18th. A portion of AVG is present along with British Buffalos. I'd put the rest of AVG and whatever other British air units are available at Rangoon. There are 40+ ships at port in Singapore according to recon. I have the route between Malaya and Sumatra now covered with torpedo capable Nell's. Once Kuching receives an Air Flotilla HQ the southern route will be closed. I'd like to strike Singapore's port to flush out the Allied transports.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 143
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 7:22:44 PM   
Lokasenna

IMO you have to smash and take Blair. If you don't, it's bad news.

For Burma as a whole, remember that the quality of his troops is poor until late 1942 at best. In general, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can outmaneuver him for a while with seaborne assaults, and Rangoon can be cut off from resupply as well and then you can starve him out. If you cut rail lines by marching over them, taking Akyab if he's squatting at Rangoon and Moulmein. Remember that he doesn't have enough planes to adequately defend every base in this area. If he's defending his airfield and port at Rangoon, you should be able to sail (and fly) around. If he chooses to meet you there, then he's probably had to weaken Rangoon (and Moulmein) to do so, which allows you to hit him there. You know the drill...

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 144
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 7:52:36 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

IMO you have to smash and take Blair. If you don't, it's bad news.

In general, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I agree. I know the importance of Port Blair and I'll deal with whatever he happens to put there. The Allied forward defence is an opportunity to eliminate the LCU's and whatever air/naval assets are used to support these positions. Holding and supporting these positions in the first six months of 1942 is the Allied challenge. It's my job to make that impossible.

Until Singapore falls, I can't do anything about it anyway. I'll spend the time preparing for what must be done and then deal with it methodically and decisively.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 145
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/23/2015 8:45:49 PM   
SqzMyLemon

My work day got completely pooched and I just received the next turn from Francois. Guess what I'd rather be doing?

I'd like to put some more time into a proper update of the AAR. It's been disjointed and rambling to date. Probably frustrating to read no doubt.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 146
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/24/2015 7:25:02 AM   
Encircled

Good so far

Anyone who has the time and the skills to do an AAR gets my eternal gratitude. I'd have never have learnt to play otherwise.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 147
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/24/2015 10:55:06 AM   
PaxMondo

+1

Pax

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 148
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/24/2015 4:04:31 PM   
SqzMyLemon

First winter snow storm of the year here, so getting to and from the office is an accomplishment.

Thanks for the comments. I'll get my AAR mojo going and provide some screenshots.

We've reached Dec. 19th and speaking of mojo, the Japanese may finally be on track somewhat.

KB has had two successful days in support of the pending Rabaul amphibious operation. On the 18th she sank two American heavy cruisers (7 Seagull floatplanes recorded as Ops losses), and today an Australian CA was sunk as Allied forces tried to withdraw south. I think I got lucky here with an Australian SCTF that was slowed due to refueling. I'll take it, because sinking three enemy cruisers for no loss in the South Pacific right now is a big deal. I've deployed submarines along the predicted route of withdrawal so maybe I'll get lucky.

The Rabaul amphibious assault will land tomorrow. The 144th Inf. Rgt. is tasked with the capture of the base and recon indicates only one Australian LCU present. Following close behind the Rabaul force is the bulk of the main Australian invasion forces. KB will clear the way. It's impossible for me to consolidate all the amphibious TF's involved under the time constraints, so there are dozens of follow up TF's strung out from Rabaul to Japan slowly making their way forward.

An Amphibious landing will occur tomorrow against Manus. Both Rabaul and Manus will be used as refueling/staging points for follow up TF before they head south. My one concern is the lack of artillery assigned to Australia. I should have diverted all the arty meant to land on Luzon to Rabaul. I am in the process of rectifying the situation.

In the DEI, I've diverted the Balikpapan amphibious force to land at Samarinda instead. I'll shock attack into Balikpapan to avoid the CD guns and possible mines. The operation is supported by CVE Hosho and CVL Zuiho. Manado is torpedo capable now and Nell's can fly support against any surface threat that appears. However, I'm not optimistic they'll be that effective. An Allied cruiser force was spotted at Ambon and attacked today, but no hits were recorded. So far I'm having little luck hitting any Allied naval assets of worth with submarine or air attacks in the region.

In China there will be a couple of ground assaults launched tomorrow. I thought there'd be a river shock attack against Chinese forces at Chengchow today, but when the turn was run Japanese forces invested the base without an attack at all. I've never encountered that before. It delays me a day though which is important as I begin to maneuver to cause the Chinese some grief.

I tried to capture Hong Kong on the cheap with just IJA 38th Division. That was a mistake and three deliberate attacks have failed. I redeployed IJA 104th Division back to Hong Kong to reinforce the 38th and another deliberate attack is ordered for tomorrow.

That is about all that is happening right now. Japanese forces continue to slog through Malaya as they march on Singapore. I've got adequate aviation support present now so pressure will begin to mount on Allied air forces in the theatre.

I feel much better about my position right now. I really dislike the first 2-3 weeks of the war as I try to organize Japanese assets into more logical deployments. I still have large numbers of aircraft sitting in rear bases with little to no aviation support though, but that can't be helped at the moment.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 149
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/24/2015 8:13:08 PM   
SqzMyLemon

There won't be a turn from Francois today, so later I might actually start looking at tracker and the state of the economy.

I've got a few resource taskforces operating from Fusan, Hakodate and Shikuka. I don't try to set up any fuel/oil tanker TF's in the DEI until I've secured the theatre. I am partial to my tankers and don't like to see them sunk.

I haven't done much in the way of aircraft expansion this time around. I've been slowly increasing production of the Oscar and Sally. I plan to use the Oscar heavily, but switch bomber production completely to the Helen when available. I've decided to rely on the Nell rather than the Betty which will eventually be phased out of production. As usual, I try to keep my 1942 aircraft production low so I can produce late war aircraft in substantial numbers.

Right now my focus is on fighters with the Frank, Ki-83 and Oscar taking precedence on the army side, while the IJN focuses on the Zero, Sam and George. I plan on producing the Jack, Tony and Tojo to some extent, but more for variety sake as I've never had a chance to see what they can do.

Engine research is devoted to the Ha-43 and Ha-45.

I'm relying heavily on the Ha-33, Ha-34 and Ha-35 power plants. Once the Helen enters production and the Betty is completely phased out the Ha-32 declines in importance and will likely be phased out of production.

I have not expanded any HI or LI yet, and may not at all if Australia goes well. With our house rule of allowing strategic bombing from day one I don't want to risk expanding a factory to only see it damaged right away.

I have reduced merchant and naval shipyard construction somewhat to conserve HI. Vehicle production has been increased to 180/day and armaments will run at full production initially, but I tend to turn some off if losses are light in 1942. I like to shoot for saving roughly 3-6k HI/day with the standard goal of a million or so banked by the end of 1942. Supply I'd like to bank at 8-10k/day once the initial expansion deficit runs its course. Reading other late war AAR's showed me the importance of stockpiling supply for the end game, so I will running a much more conservative expansion program and look to maximize supply savings through prudent production and economic exploitation of captured territory.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/24/2015 9:21:27 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI