Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Not an exploit.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Not an exploit. Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Not an exploit. - 12/11/2015 3:43:59 PM   
KWG

WHOA!!!

"In Caen on June 21st the sun will rise before 5:56am and set after 10:10pm
In the same city on Dec 21st the sun will rise at 8:53am and set at 5:05pm"

Russia is going to even more so I wonder?

< Message edited by KWG -- 12/11/2015 4:44:23 PM >

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 181
RE: Not an exploit. - 12/11/2015 3:50:06 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

I am all in favour of a hard fought contest and a little trash talk. I am 100% against inaccurate allegations and name calling.
This applies to all members of the forum.

I completely agree and am sorry if I said any inaccurate allegations or name calling towards anyone or 2by3.

@ Pelton - I do not believe this is an exploit.

I respectfully disagree, based on in game and historical data. I or anyone else can play "historically" as Germany. This tactic can be used to bomb units on French coast before an invasion for months

You can argue that some of your tactics are equally ahistoric -

almost never attacking and three deep defensive lines are just as ahistoric.
There is always a danger of over optimisation but where do you draw the line between those who can use the game
to their advantage and where it is pushed too far.
If neither of you are playing Normandy by history then quoting historical data is not a sufficient argument.

Generally speaking its the player base that in the end desides if its an exploit or "over optimization".
If the issue it is an I win button, it becomes clear as day to everyone. Its fixed/patched or everyone starts using the
"over optimization" of the gaming system making game play not fun, but boring as the outcome is clear before the first turn is done.

The air rules are pretty clear. 17.3.3.1 shows the interdiction bonus which is based on increased daylight hours.
I do not believe that has any effect beyond air interdiction as the modifier is applied after the interdiction value
is applied to a hex. Winter does have an effect through weather (17.1.5 refers) and a negative interdiction modifier.

I did not know that thanks for clearing that up.

Its not the messenger that's important or not, but the message.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 182
RE: Not an exploit. - 12/11/2015 3:54:10 PM   
Seminole

quote:

Russia is going to even more so I wonder?

It's really a question of latitude, but I don't know that they'll get more discrete than seasonal.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 183
RE: Not an exploit. - 12/11/2015 4:05:16 PM   
Seminole

quote:

If the issue it is an I win button, it becomes clear as day to everyone.

I don't think everyone sees an 'I win' button yet.
I recall someone making that comment with regard to the strategic bombing VP (just avoid beachhead penalties and bomb to victory), but with the divisor and a tuned German response I'm willing to bet that tactic would fail.

I'm totally open to examining that air losses are not exaggerated, I want the game fun and playable from both sides.
That's why I want to understand the particulars of his successful raids versus his unsuccessful.

You've highlighted an issue, what remains is to apportion responsibility between your play style (static defensive arrangement, etc), KWG's play style (forgoing strategic VP to open the front), as well as other important variables like detection value, aircraft/loadouts used, frequency, etc.

Intuitively I feel that there should be diminishing returns on repeated bombings. After the low hanging fruit and targets of opportunity, air power has some serious limitations to it.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 184
RE: Not an exploit. - 12/11/2015 4:12:50 PM   
Peltonx

I have been busy so have yet to flip the turn-almost done other then a possible counter attack.

Now that everyone knows what we are looking at for a possible exploit - its very nice to have other players telling me what to look for as I don't have much exp on the air system other then what I have learnt from liquadsky an a few others. I know nothing about WA side of things.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 185
RE: Not an exploit. - 12/11/2015 4:21:36 PM   
KWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

quote:

If the issue it is an I win button, it becomes clear as day to everyone.

I don't think everyone sees an 'I win' button yet.
I recall someone making that comment with regard to the strategic bombing VP (just avoid beachhead penalties and bomb to victory), but with the divisor and a tuned German response I'm willing to bet that tactic would fail.

I'm totally open to examining that air losses are not exaggerated, I want the game fun and playable from both sides.
That's why I want to understand the particulars of his successful raids versus his unsuccessful.

You've highlighted an issue, what remains is to apportion responsibility between your play style (static defensive arrangement, etc), KWG's play style (forgoing strategic VP to open the front), as well as other important variables like detection value, aircraft/loadouts used, frequency, etc.

Intuitively I feel that there should be diminishing returns on repeated bombings. After the low hanging fruit and targets of opportunity, air power has some serious limitations to it.

Read my own post on the "I win" easy button. And credit losses with the actual numbers and who caused them.

Lets not forget Interdiction.

And my ground forces and their tactics would like a little credit.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KWG -- 12/11/2015 5:21:59 PM >

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 186
RE: Not an exploit. - 12/11/2015 4:32:40 PM   
KWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

I have been busy so have yet to flip the turn-almost done other then a possible counter attack.

Now that everyone knows what we are looking at for a possible exploit - its very nice to have other players telling me what to look for as I don't have much exp on the air system other then what I have learnt from liquadsky an a few others. I know nothing about WA side of things.

Iam the Germans over 90% of the time. The Allied Air is a game unto itself. The first serious books I started reading as a kid were on WW2 airplanes. What the crews went and the courage it took amazed me. Hours of boredom and seconds of sheer terror.

I believe War in Russia 1941, most of the German's power will be a still strong Luftwaffe.

< Message edited by KWG -- 12/11/2015 5:33:15 PM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 187
exploit. - 12/11/2015 4:57:57 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: KWG

quote:

I believe War in Russia 1941, most of the German's power will be a still strong Luftwaffe.

Yes I have stated as much in DEV forums.

I believe that the current air system will be "over optimization" or over powered when it comes to WitE 2.0

If these tactics are used on the Eastern Front, Germans can punch a 30 mile wide hole in the front before ground combat even starts even vs stacks 3 high with 30+ CV in forts and terrain.

Flip the coin and same thing will go late war.

This can be done turn after turn after turn.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 188
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 5:10:48 PM   
KWG

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes I have stated as much in DEV forums.

I believe that the current air system will be "over optimization" or over powered when it comes to WitE 2.0

If these tactics are used on the Eastern Front, Germans can punch a 30 mile wide hole in the front before ground combat even starts even vs stacks 3 high with 30+ CV in forts and terrain.

Flip the coin and same thing will go late war.

This can be done turn after turn after turn.

I think the numbers of aircraft and the payloads at the early or late of Barbarossa, for either The Germans or Russians will be nowhere near the same as the Allied Air force in England 1944. If that makes a difference in game.

< Message edited by KWG -- 12/11/2015 6:17:32 PM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 189
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 5:37:12 PM   
LiquidSky

Okay..I finished my first test.

I used the May 1944 campaign start. I didn't bother invading.

I started to track bomber losses, but they proved to be negligible. I used only the 8th airforce, and Bomber Command. I started with AUTO loadouts, then changed them to the many small bombs loadouts...for unnoticeable effect. The AI probably bombs with the small bombs on units anyways. I hit a 10/10 box centered near Fecamp. With max sorties. I always rest any squadrons with 60 or less morale. I bomb every day.

May 11, 1944: RAIN. Men 9375, Guns 566, AFV 5 First turn the whole airforce is ready.
May 18, 1944: Rain. Men 3628, Guns 230, AFV 5
May 25, 1944: Rain. Men 4524, Guns 101, AFV 1
June 1, 1944: CLEAR Men 7028, Guns 289, AFV 8
June 8, 1944: Clear Men 7145, Guns 321, AFV 7
Jun 15, 1944: Clear Men 6864, Guns 210, AFV 3 After this bombing I moved a bunch of FLAK to German units and towns in the area being bombed.
Jun 22, 1944: Clear Men 964, Guns 24, AFV 0 And instead of around 2500 planes with low morale its around 4500
Jun 29, 1944: RAIN Men 2281, Guns 43, AFV 0 A lot less planes available...usually a squadron bombs once every 3 turns.
July 6, 1944: CLEAR Men 6516, Guns 330, AFV 3
Jul 13, 1944: Clear Men 5483, Guns 320, AFV 10

Another thing I noticed is that from the Italian theatre (which I did nothing in) the Germans were losing around 1500 men (on top of the above) to attrition (per turn).

Looking at the German army that is being bombed...the TOE's are all over 100% for the regiments in forts. The divisions that are more exposed range from 90-99 TOE. They were lower before I gave them FLAK support units. (All Germans are on REFIT)

Other notables: 9000 vehicles have been lost. 920 Rifle Squads. Most of the guns lost are Flak guns.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 190
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 5:37:16 PM   
Peltonx

Your up.

Turn 49 VP: 62
WA Loses: 256,000
GHC Loses: 268,000

Turn 50 -24 VP 38
WA Loses: 263,000 7,000
GHC Loses: 289,000 21,000 Loss ratio: 1 to 3

Turn 51 -7 VP 31
WA Loses: 273,000 10,000
GHC Loses: 326,000 37,000 Loss ratio: 1 to 3.7

Turn 52 -10 VP 21
WA Loses: 280,000 7,000
GHC Loses: 362,000 36,000 Loss ratio: 1 to 5

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 191
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 5:41:31 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Okay..I finished my first test.

I used the May 1944 campaign start. I didn't bother invading.

I started to track bomber losses, but they proved to be negligible. I used only the 8th airforce, and Bomber Command. I started with AUTO loadouts, then changed them to the many small bombs loadouts...for unnoticeable effect. The AI probably bombs with the small bombs on units anyways. I hit a 10/10 box centered near Fecamp. With max sorties. I always rest any squadrons with 60 or less morale. I bomb every day.

May 11, 1944: RAIN. Men 9375, Guns 566, AFV 5 First turn the whole airforce is ready.
May 18, 1944: Rain. Men 3628, Guns 230, AFV 5
May 25, 1944: Rain. Men 4524, Guns 101, AFV 1
June 1, 1944: CLEAR Men 7028, Guns 289, AFV 8
June 8, 1944: Clear Men 7145, Guns 321, AFV 7
Jun 15, 1944: Clear Men 6864, Guns 210, AFV 3 After this bombing I moved a bunch of FLAK to German units and towns in the area being bombed.
Jun 22, 1944: Clear Men 964, Guns 24, AFV 0 And instead of around 2500 planes with low morale its around 4500
Jun 29, 1944: RAIN Men 2281, Guns 43, AFV 0 A lot less planes available...usually a squadron bombs once every 3 turns.
July 6, 1944: CLEAR Men 6516, Guns 330, AFV 3
Jul 13, 1944: Clear Men 5483, Guns 320, AFV 10

Another thing I noticed is that from the Italian theatre (which I did nothing in) the Germans were losing around 1500 men (on top of the above) to attrition (per turn).

Looking at the German army that is being bombed...the TOE's are all over 100% for the regiments in forts. The divisions that are more exposed range from 90-99 TOE. They were lower before I gave them FLAK support units. (All Germans are on REFIT)

Other notables: 9000 vehicles have been lost. 920 Rifle Squads. Most of the guns lost are Flak guns.

Hmm ok try KWG system

5 recons on the hex

bomb 10 times

recon 5

bomb 10

recon 5.

Interesting that flak has little effect, how about terrain or forts?

Also what are the results per run?

You seeing 500+ loses for single attacks?

Also he hitting a few hexes and not an area.

Pick a single hex or 2 or 3 and pound them 20 to 30 times. with 5 recons before each 10. Check morale of units and how much you can lower CV.

There should be nothing left of units, result of bombing an area will be less then targeting a single hex 20-30 times

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/11/2015 6:46:50 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 192
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 6:13:43 PM   
LiquidSky

Here is a breakdown on where the damage occurs.

The randomness seems to come mostly from the number of planes and type that are bombing. BC is by far the best at bombing units. They also get disrupted easily so cant bomb every turn.

I will show a breakdown on the bombing that killed 1842 men. It happened in Paris, in a Heavy Urban hex. Fort level only 1. (it was the Sec Div)

Flak does have an effect...seems to cut out around 1/3rd of the losses. However, Flak also gets bombed which reduces it's long term effectiveness.

Attachment (1)

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 193
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 6:18:24 PM   
LiquidSky

Oops...the hex was the middle of Paris. It is still a Heavy Urban hex, but there is no fort, and it holds Luftwaffe 3 HQ and OB West HQ.

Here is the breakdown of the Ground losses:

Looking at the flak in the city, a lot of the guns are destroyed.

The Americans hit the same hex the next day, but only killed about 300 men and some guns....but only a third of the guns could fire at them since the british hurt the rest.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 12/11/2015 7:21:28 PM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 194
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 6:59:39 PM   
LiquidSky

Well..I booted up an old test scenario where I was up against a German line in the Netherlands.

Hitting 9 hexes a total of 267 times with the entire allied bomber force (including fighter bombers) I inflicted 20,624 Men, 303 guns, and 59 AFV's

But I lost 514 aircraft. It is interesting to not that the dug in Germans in the Polder couldn't be dislodged.

EDIT: Rain (and less planes able to bomb) causes about half as many as last turn to hit the same targets.
Losses inflicted drops dramatically to 3900 men, 45 Guns, and 12 AFV's...I suspect because there is a lot less men to kill.

EDIT: Third turn saw around 8000 men killed by bombing. This time the hex was able to be taken in attack. TOE's for the Germans in the area are around 50%.
I am thinking that both terrain and fortifications do little to prevent casualties. The biggest way to slow the bleed is to use flak, but that flak will take damage as well.

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 12/11/2015 8:26:43 PM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 195
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 7:13:04 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I think the numbers of aircraft and the payloads at the early or late of Barbarossa, for either The Germans or Russians will be nowhere near the same as the Allied Air force in England 1944. If that makes a difference in game.

I'm with you on this.
With the Germans I can do stuff in a small area, for a small amount of time.
There's no comparison with the '44 WA air forces...

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 196
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 7:26:20 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

I'm with you on this.

and also neither side is going to be able to concentrate to this extent. Normandy was historically very unusual in terms of proximity to base and the very narrow target area. Even when either the Germans or Soviets concentrated air on a given sector it was much larger than this constricted battle zone and there were plenty of other demands on them.

Add on less good airbases within the Soviet Union and you are not going to see extreme concentrations - don't forget at the moment WiTE has the equivalent of land based aircraft carriers rather than fixed bases.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 197
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 8:23:53 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

Well..I booted up an old test scenario where I was up against a German line in the Netherlands.

Hitting 9 hexes a total of 267 times with the entire allied bomber force (including fighter bombers) I inflicted 20,624 Men, 303 guns, and 59 AFV's

But I lost 514 aircraft. It is interesting to not that the dug in Germans in the Polder couldn't be dislodged.

EDIT: Rain (and less planes able to bomb) causes about half as many as last turn to hit the same targets.
Losses inflicted drops dramatically to 3900 men, 45 Guns, and 12 AFV's...I suspect because there is a lot less men to kill.

EDIT: Third turn saw around 8000 men killed by bombing. This time the hex was able to be taken in attack. TOE's for the Germans in the area are around 50%.
I am thinking that both terrain and fortifications do little to prevent casualties. The biggest way to slow the bleed is to use flak, but that flak will take damage as well.

Good stuff 20k to bombing, which is still lower then KGW's 25-30K per turn not counting interdiction just bombing. I am guessing hes better at it then u and me as my results are a little lower then yours.

So the air force can inflict turn after turn 20 to 30K loses and the ground forces only need to attack the few hexes
that have been bombing to rout the units there which inflicts more loses as they retreat.

Again I can see this being historical for a turn or 2, but this is clearly unhistorical as it can be done for months on end.

Its plain an simple, it does not match up to what happened historically - most loses were caused by ground combat not 1 to ground combat and 5 to bombing. This is data over a month not a single turn.

The lose ratio is unhistorical and the loses caused by bombing is unhistorical that's the data from me and others

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 198
RE: exploit. - 12/11/2015 8:30:10 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

quote:

I'm with you on this.

and also neither side is going to be able to concentrate to this extent. Normandy was historically very unusual in terms of proximity to base and the very narrow target area. Even when either the Germans or Soviets concentrated air on a given sector it was much larger than this constricted battle zone and there were plenty of other demands on them.

Add on less good airbases within the Soviet Union and you are not going to see extreme concentrations - don't forget at the moment WiTE has the equivalent of land based aircraft carriers rather than fixed bases.

Historically speaking a field was an airbase in Russia something 2.0 simply cant model nor any game for that matter.

Fighters (Russian and German)during summer were very close to the fighting based in some farmers corn field not an airbase. Stukas and bombers ect ect did have to use "air bases" most of the year.
Not sure how 2.0 could model that, guess squads would have to have counters on the map?

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/11/2015 9:30:45 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 199
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 12:54:51 AM   
KWG

"Historically speaking a field was an airbase in Russia something 2.0 simply cant model nor any game for that matter.

Fighters (Russian and German)during summer were very close to the fighting based in some farmers corn field not an airbase. Stukas and bombers ect ect did have to use "air bases" most of the year.
Not sure how 2.0 could model that, guess squads would have to have counters on the map?"

The ability to build a airfield any where. Expand airbase from scratch

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 200
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 2:04:47 AM   
KWG

""Do the same exploit for 4 turns and 25-30k loses and you have 100,000 to 120,000 in german loses
to bombing and nother 10k per turn to 2-3 attacks = 140,000 to 160,000 and allies lose 20-25k " "

This is the end of my Week 51 Air phase showing losses at 13,668.

Where and how do I find the rest to get the 25-30K per turn losses to bombing ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KWG -- 12/12/2015 4:18:42 AM >

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 201
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 2:32:18 AM   
KWG

""Do the same exploit for 4 turns and 25-30k loses and you have 100,000 to 120,000 in german loses
to bombing and nother 10k per turn to 2-3 attacks = 140,000 to 160,000 and allies lose 20-25k " "

Ground phase, not showing the last battle by 4th armor (+4000). If Iam only getting "nother 10k per turn to 2-3 attacks" per ground phase where did those losses come from ? "and 25-30k loses to bombing"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KWG -- 12/12/2015 4:33:20 AM >

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 202
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 5:16:51 AM   
KWG

quote:

quote:

Good stuff 20k to bombing, which is still lower then KGW's 25-30K per turn not counting interdiction just bombing. I am guessing hes better at it then u and me as my results are a little lower then yours.

So the air force can inflict turn after turn 20 to 30K loses and the ground forces only need to attack the few hexes
that have been bombing to rout the units there which inflicts more loses as they retreat.

Again I can see this being historical for a turn or 2, but this is clearly unhistorical as it can be done for months on end.

Its plain an simple, it does not match up to what happened historically - most loses were caused by ground combat not 1 to ground combat and 5 to bombing. This is data over a month not a single turn.

The lose ratio is unhistorical and the loses caused by bombing is unhistorical that's the data from me and others

panzer lehr
Bayerlein left a remarkable account of the effects of the COBRA bombing and ground assault on his already war-weary command.
In response to postwar interrogation he wrote:

We had the main losses by pattern bombing, less by artillery, still less by tanks and smaller arms.
The actual losses of dead and wounded were approximately:

by bombing 50%
by artillery 30%
by other weapons 20%

/////////
Italy - heavy bombers used alot in ground bombing
"A bombardment by 1,233 heavy bombers of the Fifteenth Air Force saturated the German defenses by dropping nearly 25,000 bombs within five miles of Allied Forces."

quote:

Its plain an simple, it does not match up to what happened historically - most loses were caused by ground combat not 1 to ground combat and 5 to bombing.

Historically most German losses came from vain attacks against Allied Forces, not German Forces sitting in trenches taking low losses, racking up points while running down the clock, plain an simple, it does not match up to what happened historically.

< Message edited by KWG -- 12/12/2015 2:06:59 PM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 203
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 1:44:20 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

quote:

quote:

panzer lehr
Bayerlein left a remarkable account of the effects of the COBRA bombing and ground assault on his already war-weary command.
In response to postwar interrogation he wrote:

We had the main losses by pattern bombing, less by artillery, still less by tanks and smaller arms.
The actual losses of dead and wounded were approximately:

by bombing 50%
by artillery 30%
by other weapons 20%

/////////
Italy - heavy bombers used alot in ground bombing
"A bombardment by 1,233 heavy bombers of the Fifteenth Air Force saturated the German defenses by dropping nearly 25,000 bombs within five miles of Allied Forces."

quote:

Its plain an simple, it does not match up to what happened historically - most loses were caused by ground combat not 1 to ground combat and 5 to bombing.

Historically most German losses came from vain attacks against Allied Forces, not German Forces sitting in trenches taking low losses, racking up points while running down the clock, plain an simple, it does not match up to what happened historically.

As history shows operation Cobra over a week, 25–31 July 1944.

As I stated I am talking loses during the campaign - I am not cherry picking one operation.

As I stated most loses during the Normandy operation (3 months) were from ground combat and the loss ratio was

http://www.britannica.com/event/Normandy-Invasion/images-videos/The-exact-number-of-casualties-suffered-in-the-invasion-of/40555

You need to find data that supports your agreement and does not support my in game and historical data, but thanks you for helping.

Historically speaking Cobra lasted a week and not 4 weeks and counting or 3 months

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/12/2015 2:48:28 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 204
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 1:45:40 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

Ground phase, not showing the last battle by 4th armor (+4000). If Iam only getting "nother 10k per turn to 2-3 attacks" per ground phase where did those losses come from ? "and 25-30k loses to bombing"

YOU not me called what your posting FOW, the numbers simply don't add up which is WAD.

As all the players that have been around for yrs know you can not track loses using the current turn loss #'s - its called FOW.

You can only track loses using battles tab and count the battles or use total loses turn by turn.

example.

You finished turn 51 I get turn 52 and in commanders report I can simply open the tab and count the 4 battles.

Total loses 12k to Ground combat total loses for last turn

Turn 51
WA Loses: 273,000
GHC Loses: 326,000

Turn 52 -10 VP 21
WA Loses: 280,000 7,000
GHC Loses: 362,000 36,000

So loses to air bombing 36,000 - 12,000 = 24,000

I hope that cleared that up for you.

Just remember FOW = Fog of War.

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 205
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 2:05:24 PM   
Peltonx

Recent analysis of ground combat deaths in various wars has shown that, for WW2,
military wounds and deaths were caused primarily by four sources:

Small Arms fire: 5-10% of wounds, <1% of deaths
Mortars, Grenades, Mines, and other lightweight explosive devices: 40-50% of wounds, 20-40% deaths
Artillery (primarily blast and direct fragmentation): 30-50% of wounds, 50-60% of deaths
Bombs: 5-10% of wounds, < 5% of deaths

The amounts varied heavily by the particular battle, as locale terrain plays a huge roll in determining both what
weapons are prevalent, and the effectiveness of each.
For instance, artillery had a very low impact on deaths in the various Pacific island campaigns, where the
vast majority of casualties were from mortars, grenades, and mines, followed by small arms. However,
in the various Western Desert campaigns, artillery had an even higher total (due to the open terrain and hard rocks,
which amplified artillery's effectiveness).

Major General J. B. A. Bailey, British Army (retired) wrote:

From the middle of the eighteenth century to the middle of the nineteenth, artillery is judged to have accounted for perhaps 50% of battlefield casualties. In the sixty years preceding 1914, this figure was probably as low as 10 percent. The remaining 90 percent fell to small arms, whose range and accuracy had come to rival those of artillery. ... [By WWI] The British Royal Artillery, at over one million men, grew to be larger than the Royal Navy. Bellamy (1986), pp. 1–7, cites the percentage of casualties caused by artillery in various theaters since 1914: in the First World War, 45 percent of Russian casualties and 58 percent of British casualties on the Western Front; in the Second World War, 75 percent of British casualties in North Africa and 51 percent of Soviet casualties (61 percent in 1945) and 70 percent of German casualties on the Eastern Front; and in the Korean War, 60 percent of US casualties, including those inflicted by mortars.[36]

— J. B. A. Bailey (2004). Field artillery and firepower

Looking for more data but looks like 10% of loses were caused by "bombing" and 50-70% by artillery fire depending on weather/terrain ect ect.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/12/2015 3:14:21 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 206
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 2:08:20 PM   
KWG

" As I stated I am talking loses during the campaign - I am not cherry picking one operation.

As I stated most loses during the Normandy operation (3 months) were from ground combat and the loss ratio was

http://www.britannica.com/event/Normandy-Invasion/images-videos/The-exact-number-of-casualties-suffered-in-the-invasion-of/40555

You need to find data that supports your agreement and does not support my in game and historical data, but thanks you for helping.

Historically speaking Cobra lasted a week and not 4 weeks and counting or 3 months "

Exactly Iam doing Cobra more than one 1 week SO my numbers will be for more than 1 week.

If the Allies only ground attacked 3 times the month of July 1944, Does that mean Tam only allowed to ground attack 3 times the month of july?

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 207
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 2:13:36 PM   
KWG

"As all the players that have been around for yrs know you can not track loses using the current turn loss #'s - its called FOW. "

I just play, And Ive said Iam not that good. If given a test a on the rules and workings of the game I would be very lucky to get a passing grade.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 208
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 2:18:07 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

" As I stated I am talking loses during the campaign - I am not cherry picking one operation.

Historically speaking Cobra lasted a week and not 4 weeks and counting or 3 months "

Exactly Iam doing Cobra more than one 1 week SO my numbers will be for more than 1 week.

If the Allies only ground attacked 3 times the month of July 1944, Does that mean Tam only allowed to ground attack 3 times the month of july?

I am trending data in game to see if it matches historical data over time week by week and then month by month and then for the game.

We know what the long term data is about, as many surveys very some what but over all the % are close as with the thread in dev forums on eastern front loses.

Recent analysis of ground combat deaths in various wars has shown that, for WW2,
military wounds and deaths were caused primarily by four sources:

Small Arms fire: 5-10% of wounds, <1% of deaths
Mortars, Grenades, Mines, and other lightweight explosive devices: 40-50% of wounds, 20-40% deaths
Artillery (primarily blast and direct fragmentation): 30-50% of wounds, 50-60% of deaths
Bombs: 5-10% of wounds, < 5% of deaths

The amounts varied heavily by the particular battle, as locale terrain plays a huge roll in determining both what
weapons are prevalent, and the effectiveness of each.
For instance, artillery had a very low impact on deaths in the various Pacific island campaigns, where the
vast majority of casualties were from mortars, grenades, and mines, followed by small arms. However,
in the various Western Desert campaigns, artillery had an even higher total (due to the open terrain and hard rocks,
which amplified artillery's effectiveness).

Major General J. B. A. Bailey, British Army (retired) wrote:

From the middle of the eighteenth century to the middle of the nineteenth, artillery is judged to have accounted for perhaps 50% of battlefield casualties. In the sixty years preceding 1914, this figure was probably as low as 10 percent. The remaining 90 percent fell to small arms, whose range and accuracy had come to rival those of artillery. ... [By WWI] The British Royal Artillery, at over one million men, grew to be larger than the Royal Navy. Bellamy (1986), pp. 1–7, cites the percentage of casualties caused by artillery in various theaters since 1914: in the First World War, 45 percent of Russian casualties and 58 percent of British casualties on the Western Front; in the Second World War, 75 percent of British casualties in North Africa and 51 percent of Soviet casualties (61 percent in 1945) and 70 percent of German casualties on the Eastern Front; and in the Korean War, 60 percent of US casualties, including those inflicted by mortars.[36]

— J. B. A. Bailey (2004). Field artillery and firepower

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 209
RE: exploit. - 12/12/2015 2:21:29 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

"As all the players that have been around for yrs know you can not track loses using the current turn loss #'s - its called FOW. "

I just play, And Ive said Iam not that good. If given a test a on the rules and workings of the game I would be very lucky to get a passing grade.

Lets play on as the game is an interesting test case for pushing the system.

over the years 75% of my game don't do this and are kinda boring.

This is 1 of the 25% that stresses the game and I personally love these games and they bring up heated debate on the forums about the system good or bad and almost always leads to a better system as its weak WAD areas come to light.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Not an exploit. Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI