Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tournament

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tournament Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/16/2015 4:18:51 PM   
Seminole

Loquaciousmaximus, you ain't!

(in reply to locusmaximus)
Post #: 91
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/16/2015 8:48:15 PM   
locusmaximus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

Loquaciousmaximus, you ain't!

Actions speak louder than words !

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 92
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/16/2015 9:12:51 PM   
Seminole

quote:

Actions speak louder than words

This is why we look forward to After Action Reports.
In the end Joel will throw up the rates, but I was also interested in final VP sheets just to see what was achieved on each side.

I can understand and support secrecy now, but do hope all is revealed later.

Post #: 93
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/17/2015 10:52:22 AM   
locusmaximus

quote:

quote:

Actions speak louder than words

This is why we look forward to After Action Reports.
In the end Joel will throw up the rates, but I was also interested in final VP sheets just to see what was achieved on each side.

I can understand and support secrecy now, but do hope all is revealed later.

As soon as the tournament is finished, I will post a screenshot with the vp's of the matches, that should please your voracious hunger for information about the matches of another player. I will do this, because your satisfaction is my pleasure.

< Message edited by locusmaximus -- 12/17/2015 12:21:19 PM >

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 94
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/17/2015 2:04:53 PM   
Seminole

quote:

As soon as the tournament is finished, I will post a screenshot with the vp's of the matches, that should please your voracious hunger for information about the matches of another player. I will do this, because your satisfaction is my pleasure.

This please me greatly.

In other news. Rommel has gone missing.
I was reviewing my turn 2 screenshots as the Axis and noticed an ignominious defeat where a general I did not recognize was in command.

Rommel isn't dead, but there is no mention in the turn 2 event log of his replacement. I didn't replace him. I have a screenshot of him in command on turn 1 from the OoB screen and the leaders CR screen. Did he get sick again and just forget to call in to anyone?

Post #: 95
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/17/2015 2:13:08 PM   
zakblood

i heard he went home to buy some shoes for his wife birthday?

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 96
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/17/2015 2:31:31 PM   
whoofe

quote:

quote:

This please me greatly.

In other news. Rommel has gone missing.
I was reviewing my turn 2 screenshots as the Axis and noticed an ignominious defeat where a general I did not recognize was in command.

Rommel isn't dead, but there is no mention in the turn 2 event log of his replacement. I didn't replace him. I have a screenshot of him in command on turn 1 from the OoB screen and the leaders CR screen. Did he get sick again and just forget to call in to anyone?

now that you mention it, in my match as axis, I noticed he was not in command of anything at games end (did not notice during the match) but he did have several battle victories recorded, so perhaps there is a bug where he gets replaced after a turn in this scenario?

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 97
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/17/2015 4:48:44 PM   
Joel Billings

I've been unable to contact Trajan, and I see he has not been on the forum since Dec 1 when he signed up. I hope he is ok. As I haven't been able to find an alternate, I have to declare reggiman the winner by default, and reggimann is awarded a score of 1.1 (minimum marginal victory score). I'm sure reggimann would have preferred to have played. I see that ultradave had volunteered to play a second game. I didn't think this would be right for the tournament, but I encourage ultradave or anyone to play a game with reggiman so he gets a tune up in case he advances to the next round (or at least gets a chance to play if he doesn't). At the moment we have 3 matches completed, and 4 in progress.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to whoofe)
Post #: 98
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/17/2015 5:10:23 PM   
ultradave

Yeah, I'm up for that. Send a pm if you are interested. We can play a pair just like the match. I have time in the next few days, especially all day tomorrow, probably pretty free on the weekend too.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 99
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/18/2015 7:56:41 AM   
reggimann

PM sent to ultradave, thanks for sparring with me!

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 100
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/18/2015 4:16:22 PM   
Seminole

Round 1 Seminole v jckerr4 return match completed

(in reply to reggimann)
Post #: 101
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/18/2015 4:37:09 PM   
whoofe

I think I mentioned in another thread I wouldn't want to play against you!

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 102
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/18/2015 4:48:32 PM   
Seminole

I think jckerr4 is new to the game, so I got a lucky draw considering I have a year of experience with the witw engine to date.

Having played this scenario on both sides I really do like it. If either side isn't careful they can get their throat slit in an instant.

(in reply to whoofe)
Post #: 103
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/18/2015 5:00:28 PM   
ultradave

quote:

Having played this scenario on both sides I really do like it. If either side isn't careful they can get their throat slit in an instant.

I resemble that remark!

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 104
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/18/2015 8:21:45 PM   
Chuske

Cato(WA) v jonboym(Ax) result is in, the reverse match should complete v. soon as on turn 5

Final position

The user formally known as jonboym

WITP:AE - Useful Info for Beginners

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 105
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/18/2015 10:28:41 PM   
Joel Billings

All but one of the matches is now on turn 5 or later. LS and Smokindave are bringing up the rear on turn 3 in their games. Although the second round is not officially starting for several weeks, I'll get the matchups out as soon as round 1 is completed and players can always start early if they want to.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Chuske)
Post #: 106
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/18/2015 10:39:57 PM   
LiquidSky

You can't hurry greatness! (''))

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 12/19/2015 12:56:13 AM >

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Post #: 107
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/19/2015 2:58:32 PM   
Belphegor

Grab vs. Belphegor is now finished.
A close one!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 108
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/19/2015 4:07:08 PM   
Chuske

Cato(Ax) vs jonboym(WA) result

The user formally known as jonboym

WITP:AE - Useful Info for Beginners

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 109
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/19/2015 4:24:40 PM   
KWG

For the Allies, looks like it's worth the losses to take the objectives.

Are people playing as the Germans very defensively ?

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to Chuske)
Post #: 110
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/19/2015 5:16:40 PM   
Joel Billings

So far the overall VP ratio is coming out slightly in favor of the Allies. With 12 games in the books, although the German players have outscored the Allied players in 6 of the 12 games, the Allied players are averaging a VP ratio of 1.22 to 1 (so the German advantages have not been as high as the Allied advantages). LiquidSky and smokindave34 are on turn 4 in their two games, so we should know the final results in the next few days.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 111
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/19/2015 8:53:32 PM   
LiquidSky

Well..I just finished my Axis turn for turn 5. Not sure of the final score yet as the Allies will have to finish their last turn as well. I just have my final Allied turn to do. (after he does the final Axis turn)

I went into this scenario somewhat blind. My own fault, I could have played against the AI. I dabbled with the first turn of the Axis so I had a good idea how I was going to start, but man...I had no idea the allies were so strong. It totally caught me off guard. I had to quickly go from offence to defence.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Post #: 112
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/20/2015 11:21:26 AM   
LiquidSky

We seem to be finished now. My opponent has resigned both games

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 113
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/20/2015 1:25:38 PM   
Seminole

quote:

We seem to be finished now. My opponent has resigned both games

Resigned before it could assess final turn VP (end game objective points)?

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 114
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/20/2015 1:26:36 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I dabbled with the first turn of the Axis so I had a good idea how I was going to start, but man...I had no idea the allies were so strong.

Less the troops than the terrain itself.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 115
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/20/2015 1:29:11 PM   
whoofe

that would irritate me. that's fine to resign with just a pickup game, but this tournament is scored by VPs

can they pull up the VPs from the save games? maybe matrix will allow the turn 4 scores or whatever your furthest point played was?

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 116
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/20/2015 2:37:45 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

ORIGINAL: whoofe

that would irritate me. that's fine to resign with just a pickup game, but this tournament is scored by VPs

can they pull up the VPs from the save games? maybe matrix will allow the turn 4 scores or whatever your furthest point played was?

I was Liquid Sky's opponent. I'd wager I completed more campaign games of WITE/WITW than anyone on this forum (except maybe Pelton). I resigned based on some last turn tactics that I considered gamey. A difference in approach to the way we play the game. I assumed that LS would automatically move on based on me conceding the game. I'm working with Joel to get the last turn resolved/re-played so LS gets full credit for his victory.

(in reply to whoofe)
Post #: 117
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/20/2015 3:29:17 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I resigned based on some last turn tactics that I considered gamey. A difference in approach to the way we play the game.

I hope you're willing to elaborate. I can understand if LS doesn't want to delve into his tactics before the tourney is complete, but I'm curious what was found so annoying.

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 118
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/20/2015 3:38:08 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

quote:

I resigned based on some last turn tactics that I considered gamey. A difference in approach to the way we play the game.

I hope you're willing to elaborate. I can understand if LS doesn't want to delve into his tactics before the tourney is complete, but I'm curious what was found so annoying.

I'd prefer not - I'm not interested in getting into a back and forth in an open forum. He's an excellent player and he had me beat even before the last turn. I mistakenly thought that all the winners of the 1st round moved on so I didn't believe I was doing him any harm by resigning. I'll work with Joel to fix it - LS deserves to move on.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 119
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tou... - 12/20/2015 3:59:14 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I'd prefer not - I'm not interested in getting into a back and forth in an open forum.

I doubt anyone is interested in the parties involved, more about the 'gamey' tactic in question. Presumably the same issue could arise among other players.
Some things can be handled with game engine rules, some things can be handled with house rules and common sense. I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out what he did that was so annoying. In part, I wouldn't want to be guilty of same. I suppose the line between gamey and brilliant can't help but be subjective and fuzzy.
I definitely used most of the tools in the box to get my result, but my opponent was novice, so I'm still not sure what to take away from the first round except that as written, either side can get a decisive result in the scenario. It's all about that German first turn...

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the West: Operation Torch Tournament Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI