Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ETA?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: ETA? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ETA? - 10/3/2016 11:21:57 PM   
fogger

Gentleman, two issues

1. Please refrain from blaspheming. It is not wise to do that in the PC world. You clearly have not heard about our "18c" down here in Australia.

2. Slitherine Ltd is in business to make a profit. Yes digital download is very profitable for them, but why limit your sales to only your existing market. Digital marketing is losing its effect. If one walks into a retail store and there is not a box on the shelf how are you to know about the game. There are a lot of luddites out here in the physical world.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 151
RE: ETA? - 10/3/2016 11:27:38 PM   
fogger

Larry there has been 12,811 hits on this thread since the first post by lecrop on 4 Jan 2016. Today is 4 Oct 2016.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 152
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 12:16:56 AM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I'm curious. Does anybody ever take a look at this forum anymore?

Are you kidding? Like in my case, what, daily?

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Post #: 153
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 12:37:50 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger
Larry there has been 12,811 hits on this thread since the first post by lecrop on 4 Jan 2016. Today is 4 Oct 2016.

Cool. How in the world did you calculate that? And it's still 3 Oct. where I live.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/4/2016 12:38:40 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 154
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 2:11:44 AM   
Catch21

quote:

Gentleman, two issues

1. Please refrain from blaspheming. It is not wise to do that in the PC world. You clearly have not heard about our "18c" down here in Australia.

2. Slitherine Ltd is in business to make a profit. Yes digital download is very profitable for them, but why limit your sales to only your existing market. Digital marketing is losing its effect. If one walks into a retail store and there is not a box on the shelf how are you to know about the game. There are a lot of luddites out here in the physical world.

1) I'm not sure what blaspheming is, though I take note of your rule 18c (not applicable to me, though were 18a and 18b considered too mild?).
2) Yes I remember being one of them once, and it's still possible to play physical board games. I still have a few for nostalgia reasons- for example:

Even in the old days, I'd still read a review before I bought a game.

But the world has moved on, and besides why hold sales up for those who want physical copies, when you can immediately sell digital ones?

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 155
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 2:15:38 AM   
sPzAbt653

I still check in, for christ's sake.

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 156
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 2:21:46 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I still check in, for christ's sake.

Please keep checking in for Christ's sake.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 157
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 3:19:29 AM   
Lobster

quote:

A little under 12,811 times people have checked this thread hoping to find some news of progress and a little under 12,811 times they have turned away disappointed.

What are you testers doing looking at this thread? Get back to work slackers!!!!

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 158
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 3:34:12 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

What are you testers doing looking at this thread?

I need the momentary diversion.

I don't know about the rest of them but I run a 24-hour operation here. When my wrist starts to tingle I take a nap. When I need to
tinkle, I tinkle, when I need to sleep I take a nap. And my naps run about 1.5 hours each and I usually take time to eat SOMETING
during the day but other than that about 16 hours a day I'm at my computer playing something or other. I'm in a fabulous WITP-AE
game with Brian that nobody is supposed to know about, so I won't mention it here. He's letting me be the Japs and I'm learning a
lot under his tutledge....turtle-ege...tootle edge..........he's teaching me. He's my tutor in other words. I think he's letting me win
because the scenario is one that he's modded based on Focus Pacific which is pro-Japs anyway. He's put it on steroids. The
Japs have enough Political Points to buy out just about anything needed. An unusual situation. Plus there's TRACOM-qualified
pilots in about 30% of the squadrons. I've moved about 150 of them to TRACOM and then thought maybe they might make a
difference on the battlefield and so far that has proven true. All the really raw replacement pilots are in the home islands training
with instructors. Which in the stock version is unheard of. Rare, it is. And I'm having a blast.

Plus when I'm not doing my moves for Brian's game I'm usually doing something else game related. There's that Barbarosa '41
mod I'm working on. The events don't seem to want to be reliable. Other than that not much is going on around my house. If
it weren't for me playing games on the computer some morning my neighbors might find me face down in the roadside ditch,
hair messed up, lipstick on my collar, missing my wallet.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/4/2016 3:37:01 AM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 159
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 5:49:26 AM   
FF_1079

There is probably 1,500 copies to be sold to Matrix and Slitherine regulars alone. They will need to hump this hard on Steam to get awareness of the release to new gamers and peeps who bought a previous version but don't frequent this or any other forum. I don't claim to understand the mechanics of the gaming industry, but at $39.99 - 10,000 copies gets you up to 400,000k gross, and based on the small development team - it seems like it would be a success. Add another 3-5k copies sold over the next 1-3 years, and everybody is thinking "We should DEFINITELY make TOAW 5"

< Message edited by FF_1079 -- 10/4/2016 5:50:16 AM >

Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"

Post #: 160
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 6:10:14 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

"We should DEFINITELY make TOAW 5"

You must be the eternal optimist. After all the trouble they went through to make a TOAW IV ( if they do ) can you
imagine the trouble they might have to go through to make a TOAW V? I'd like to be a beta tester for that bad boy.
Thanks for bringing it up.......there's still hope out there.

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 161
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 11:36:05 AM   
Catch21

quote:

quote:

"We should DEFINITELY make TOAW 5"

You must be the eternal optimist.
Hehe, or you. You've been around a l o n g time, gotta wonder how old you are. By my reckoning you'll be lucky to see TOAW IV at this rate, and you'll be playing V top side for sure.

Post #: 162
RE: ETA? - 10/4/2016 11:47:48 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

gotta wonder how old you are.

I'll be 67 next March. But when I'm playing games and I'm in the zone I don't feel that old. I don't expect to live much past the
release of TOAW IV. Not so very much.

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 163
RE: ETA? - 10/5/2016 11:35:17 PM   
SMK-at-work

I'm 57, my parents are 88 and 78...their parents all died at ages 89+......I expect to be playing for decades yet :)

Post #: 164
RE: ETA? - 10/6/2016 12:04:50 AM   
Catch21

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

I'm 57, my parents are 88 and 78...their parents all died at ages 89+......I expect to be playing for decades yet :)
Yes, but what? Maybe not TOAW IV. Since it's now becoming a life and death matter, maybe the dev team should think again about giving us some feedback as to ETA.

I mean even Ralph is mortal, and he must surely be wondering whether he's gonna make it too, or who he's gonna pass the baton to when the grim reaper comes knocking.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 165
RE: ETA? - 10/6/2016 12:14:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

You guys tell me if I'm obsessed with death: I'm thinking about it almost constantly away from my keyboard. I use the computer to zone it out.
I think of my house as a museum where I "used to live". I wonder if the game I'm playing is the last I ever will. That kind of thing.

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 166
RE: ETA? - 10/6/2016 9:24:44 PM   
SMK-at-work

Yeah you are obsessed....even though you won't notice it at all afterwards...;)

Post #: 167
RE: ETA? - 10/6/2016 9:42:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

So far I'm on the right side of the grass.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 168
RE: ETA? - 10/14/2016 12:32:40 PM   
Zap

Hmmm, I frequent here every so often to see the progress. If I live long enough IV would be my first purchase of this game. My comment on the recent reflections on life here in this thread. Its almost as good as me going on a spiritual retreat. And don't have to pay room and board.

Post #: 169
RE: ETA? - 10/14/2016 1:16:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Hmmm, I frequent here every so often to see the progress.

Welcome to the TOAW IV forum dude. Make yourself at home. Take your shoes off, get
comfortable. This place is really friendly and it's got lots of helpful players who
would be more than glad to answer your questions etc. I'm going to have to put together
a list of the places a person can go to get scenarios because there's probably close to
a thousand of them by now. You can make your own you see, and a lot of really talented
players have crafted some really good ones. You'll see.

quote:

If I live long enough IV would be my first purchase of this game.

Better late than never. Don't be put off by the DOS-like graphics, the simulation under
the hood is one of the best. And the AI is somewhat decent for a change. I've grown to
like it a lot. I took a year's hiatus from TOAW to play WITE a few years ago but I got
bored with WITE and I'm back to TOAW now and really missed it.

quote:

My comment on the recent reflections on life here in this thread: Its almost as good as me going on a spiritual retreat. And don't have to pay room and board.

The Forum is kind of sparse now but after TOAW IV is released traffic will pick up a lot.
I expect to do some AAR's myself, some to demonstrate the new Naval rules, and I want to
do a game against the AI to get an idea how formidable it is now. There's lots of players
who have gotten in on the ground floor with TOAW and they say that IV is the best yet. I
believe it. I think maybe you'll like it too.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 170
RE: ETA? - 10/18/2016 7:11:23 PM   
Wee Sodjer

quote:

quote:

gotta wonder how old you are.

I'll be 67 next March. But when I'm playing games and I'm in the zone I don't feel that old. I don't expect to live much past the
release of TOAW IV. Not so very much.

I am 67 already and have no intention of kicking the bucket anytime soon.

Jim O'Neill

Post #: 171
RE: ETA? - 10/18/2016 10:45:59 PM   
fogger

I was 62 yesterday and I plan on being round for TOAW 5

Thought for the day:

(in reply to Wee Sodjer)
Post #: 172
RE: ETA? - 10/18/2016 11:03:02 PM   
Catch21

quote:

quote:

Hmmm, I frequent here every so often to see the progress.

1) Welcome to the TOAW IV forum dude. Make yourself at home. Take your shoes off, get comfortable.
2) This place is really friendly and it's got lots of helpful players who would be more than glad to answer your questions etc.
3) I'm going to have to put together a list of the places a person can go to get scenarios because there's probably close to
a thousand of them by now. You can make your own you see, and a lot of really talented players have crafted some really good ones. You'll see.

quote:

If I live long enough IV would be my first purchase of this game.

4) Better late than never.
5) Don't be put off by the DOS-like graphics, the simulation under the hood is one of the best.
6) And the AI is somewhat decent for a change. I've grown to like it a lot.
7) I took a year's hiatus from TOAW to play WITE a few years ago but I got bored with WITE and I'm back to TOAW now and really missed it.

quote:

My comment on the recent reflections on life here in this thread: Its almost as good as me going on a spiritual retreat. And don't have to pay room and board.

8) The Forum is kind of sparse now but after TOAW IV is released traffic will pick up a lot.
9) I expect to do some AAR's myself, some to demonstrate the new Naval rules, and I want to do a game against the AI to get an idea how formidable it is now.
10) There's lots of players who have gotten in on the ground floor with TOAW and they say that IV is the best yet. I believe it. I think maybe you'll like it too.

Well, let's see here:

1) Yes, do. If you're waiting on IV you might as well, cos it could be a mighty long wait.
2) Had more than has. Most players have moved on, either sideways or in some cases upwards.
3) Yes, most made in the 'Golden Age' of TOAW, many unplayable now due to changing game mechanics. A lot of the best talent has gone, along with the players.
4) Too true, how late is up in the air, never remains a possibility.
5) I wouldn't call map/counters DOS-like, though the menus may be.
6) The AI even with later buffing still isn't very good- any reasonable player should be able to run rings around it, but you could say that for a lot of games.
7) Command Ops is maybe worth a shot. Try WiTP?
8) No s^!t. Traffic picking up? Sure, and when will that release be? I can hear all those wheelchairs revving up right now...
9) Great. New Naval Rules? Where? When will these AARs appear?
10) Who's played TOAW IV yet?

In sum, I appreciate the sentiments, but I think it's really unfair to hold out hope to potential new players when there's ABSOLUTELY NO TIME LINE FOR A RELEASE OF TOAW IV IF AT ALL.

< Message edited by General Staff -- 10/18/2016 11:05:33 PM >

Post #: 173
RE: ETA? - 10/18/2016 11:10:33 PM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

I was 62 yesterday and I plan on being round for TOAW 5

I did see something the other day that the "natural" max lifespan for humans is thought to be 115....so maybe....;)

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 174
RE: ETA? - 10/18/2016 11:11:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

In sum, I appreciate the sentiments, but I think it's really unfair to hold out hope to potential new players when there's ABSOLUTELY NO TIME LINE FOR A RELEASE OF TOAW IV IF AT ALL.

I'm going for the optimistic, upbeat, bright and cheerful approach.

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 175
RE: ETA? - 10/18/2016 11:18:28 PM   
Catch21

quote:

quote:

LoL- I'm just politely trying to warn you that you could get sued... Besides, someone has to peddle the alternative doom and gloom side...

< Message edited by General Staff -- 10/18/2016 11:19:37 PM >

Post #: 176
RE: ETA? - 10/18/2016 11:20:24 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Staff
quote:

quote:

LoL- I'm just politely trying to warn you that you could get sued... Besides, someone has to peddle the alternative doom and gloom side...

Oooooooooh. I hadn't thought of a lawsuit. I'm not very street smart.

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 177
RE: ETA? - 10/19/2016 12:04:55 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Staff

quote:

quote:

Sued? For what? A recently released game called No Man's Sky blatantly posted trailers that were considerably more than what the actual release provided. They didn't get sued. Legal litigation over games is very rare and even more rarely succeed. So, who would get sued and for what?

The game will get released. I'm not especially patient and it has taken far too long. On the plus side are all of the other great games I've found during the endless 'development'. Probably never would have found Schwerpunkt Games' War in Europe and I certainly wouldn't have bought Decisive Games' titles. All great games. So the wait has had good sides and bad sides.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 178
RE: ETA? - 10/19/2016 12:31:55 AM   
Catch21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
Probably never would have found Schwerpunkt Games' War in Europe and I certainly wouldn't have bought Decisive Games' titles. All great games. So the wait has had good sides and bad sides.
I've looked at Schwerpunkt but if you took the plunge, can I ask how you found it versus TOAW? And the Decisive Games titles you found good? Any pointers here, appreciated.

If this seems OT, since there's no ETA might as well discuss alternatives while we 'make ourselves at home, take our shoes off'.

< Message edited by General Staff -- 10/19/2016 12:38:23 AM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 179
RE: ETA? - 10/19/2016 2:07:48 AM   
Lobster

The Schwerpunkt interface takes a few minutes to get used to. But once you start using it then the game becomes fun. The World War 2 in Europe game is the newest and has the best interface so I would go with that. The two earlier titles are West Front only and East Front only. World War 2 in Europe is as the name implies. So no need to buy the other two. There are many, many scenarios and more on the way. In my opinion it is well worth the price. This coming from a war gamer since I was 12 years old. That's 55 years of gaming and counting.

The DC games are a different animal from TOAW and Schwerpunkt. Cards to influence outcomes is one of the biggest differences. I have Case Blue and it is being updated with the Barbarossa improvements. Then they will update DC The Blitzkreig. There are some things about Barbarossa that make me hesitant to buy it. Some inability to transfer troops from German Front to Front. Maybe I'll still get it *shrug*. If you like to play some TOAW scenarios that encompass larger scales then you will probably like the DC titles. There are player made scenarios available on the DC site.

Personally I'm very happy with both purchases. I would bet dollars to donuts DC titles will end up on sale come Xmas time.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 10/19/2016 2:08:07 AM >

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: ETA? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI