Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A quick update on the game's status

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: A quick update on the game's status Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/20/2016 11:26:54 PM   
fogger

A screen shot will show you nothing. It is the engine that runs the game that is different and believe me it is better.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to TDefender)
Post #: 31
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/20/2016 11:39:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger
A screen shot will show you nothing. It is the engine that runs the game that is different and believe me it is better.

I concur. I'm really impressed with the version I downloaded yesterday from the FTP site. I double click on the file name and it
starts up immedately, and then when I chose a PBEM saved game file and click on the button to load it, it loads really fast and
the password dialog appears after only a part of a second. And then once you're past the password screen there's a delay of
I'm guessing less than 5 seconds before the game is available. It's really fast. I'm impressed. And the UI has been reworked
so that it's easier and more intuative getting around the game mechanics. I really liked TOAW before but now it's an even
bigger joy to play now. I have to stop to eat and drink etc. but TOAW is about all I do anymore. I'm retired
and play wargames for a living. I'm having a blast.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/20/2016 11:41:12 PM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 32
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/21/2016 4:08:38 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kinjin

quote:

Take all the time you need. TOAW has always been the best turn-based operational level game on the market. Period. Looking forward to a IV version.

While this is generally true, communication also helps.

I haven't played any previous TOAW games, and I remember looking at this at the beginning of the year. I was unsure whether to wait or pay £23 for a 10 year old game. It looked like it was not far off, so I waited.

I checked back every so often to see if there's any update, but I'm visiting less often as time goes by. Sooner or later, I'll probably stop. I wonder how many other people are in a similar position.

Maybe I would have been better of buying the old version.
Maybe that's still the best idea.
But maybe the new one's just around the corner....

The fact that the moved this from "coming soon" to "in development" is telling. I'm pretty sure that TOAW IV is not around the corner (would love to be corrected)

(in reply to Kinjin)
Post #: 33
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/21/2016 12:52:31 PM   
sPzAbt653

Right next to Combined Arms [in development since before most of us were born].

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 34
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/21/2016 1:27:58 PM   
fogger

Post 29 again.

There is a time table but previous dates have been missed due to unforeseen problems. Nobody wants a game full of bugs and nobody wants a red face when dates are missed.

But as sure as the sun will raise in the east tomorrow morning TOAW 4 is (in its current state) and will be (when it is finished) far better than TOAW 3.

If you love TOAW 3 then you are going to wet your pants when TOAW 4 comes out.

I know that it is a pain but just hang in there.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 35
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/21/2016 2:26:52 PM   
Lobster

quote:

But as sure as the sun will raise in the east tomorrow morning

The sun will rise for a few billion more tomorrow mornings. Hopefully this will be done before it's done rising.

But seriously, you do understand why the frustration and negativity right? This has been developing for many years and all that has happened is a patch. There used to be some communication but even that has ceased. Meanwhile the people who actually get to play the new version say be patient. Yeah right, they are playing the newest and admonish us who whine. Nice. A screen shot is communication.

Here's an idea. Slitherine/Matrix have a slew of games on Steam. Why not put this up as Early Access as a sort of public beta. Bugs will be found faster, it will be done sooner and those of us who have spent all of our patience over the last few years will get what we have been waiting for. Won't ever happen but it would be nice. I guess that idea should go into the when pigs fly file.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 36
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/21/2016 11:06:31 PM   
fogger

On 21 July 2015 I asked if anybody wanted to do a test game of FITE2. FITE2 can only be played on TOAW 4. Got to learn to read between the lines.

Now I received turn 35 this morning from the person who did put their hand up to do the test game. I am the German player (I only ever play the Germans) up to my eyeballs in mud with massive supply problems. Loving it.

Because of the NDA I can not give a screen shot but I advised previously it will not show you anything.

Thought for the day:

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 37
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/22/2016 12:00:17 AM   
Meyer1

Thanks Fogger, any information is welcome, of course it should come from official sources but oh well.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 38
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/28/2016 11:18:16 PM   
Lobster

quote:

On 21 July 2015 I asked if anybody wanted to do a test game of FITE2. FITE2 can only be played on TOAW 4. Got to learn to read between the lines.

Now I received turn 35 this morning from the person who did put their hand up to do the test game. I am the German player (I only ever play the Germans) up to my eyeballs in mud with massive supply problems. Loving it.

Because of the NDA I can not give a screen shot but I advised previously it will not show you anything.

Well heck why didn't you say so. I'll gladly 'test FitE2'. wink wink. I'm sure there are many others who will want to 'test' it too. Since it obviously does not violate the NDA. So sure, fire me a copy of FitE2 and the latest build of TOAW4. I'm sure I can get in more than 35 turns in 8 months. Ruthless7342 AT cox DOT net

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 39
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/29/2016 8:30:16 AM   
fogger

You have to sign the NDA to get access to TOAW 4. After you sign the NDA you are given a personal password so if it (TOAW 4) gets out it can be tracked back to who leaked and thus who will be sued. wink wink.

In 8 months there has been a lot more than 35 turns.

Thought for the day:

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 40
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/29/2016 8:59:11 AM   
Fred98

quote:

It could show us that the UI has improved and could show improvements in that horrible font currently used.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 41
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/29/2016 9:10:04 AM   
fogger

Sorry no can do. The NDA prevents anybody from doing that. So until "the higher authority" says other wise there is nothing to be gained from asking for a screen shot.

Thought for the day:

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 42
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/29/2016 11:23:31 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

It could show us that the UI has improved and could show improvements in that horrible font currently used.

The UI has indeed changed and improved. But the font problem can be fixed with a change in the Opart 3 Fonts.ini file.
I couldn't read the news summary very well because the font was too small for my tired old eyes and I made a change to the
size to make it bigger.

[SmallFont]
OutlineColor=0
AlternateTextColor=0x00BFFF
TextColor=0xFFFFFF
offsetYOverride=0
offsetXOverride=0
WidthOverride=0
LineSpacing=0
HeightOverride=0
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=N
Outline=N
Background=Y
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=12
Font=MS San Serif

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 43
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/29/2016 2:15:38 PM   
Lobster

quote:

You have to sign the NDA to get access to TOAW 4. After you sign the NDA you are given a personal password so if it (TOAW 4) gets out it can be tracked back to who leaked and thus who will be sued. wink wink.

In 8 months there has been a lot more than 35 turns.

In post #37 dated 3/27/16 you said that morning you had received turn 35. So I naturally took that to mean you had played 35 turns.

In any event where do I go to sign the NDA? Being retired I have oodles of time. Fairly used to them since I've been on alpha and beta teams for a number of MMOs. Not done any for several years though. And when did this beta become open to everyone willing to sign the NDA? Saw no posts saying anything about it.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/29/2016 2:17:06 PM >

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 44
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 3/29/2016 3:58:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

In any event where do I go to sign the NDA?

If I were you I would send Tamas K. an email and volunteer to be a beta tester, he's the guy who recruited me. On the left side of this
link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showProfile.asp?memid=2218

there's a way to send Tamas an email.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 45
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 4/7/2016 5:20:41 AM   
fogger

Just to keep everybody in the loop. On 23 Feb there was a new full installer / beta exe posted on the development forum. Since then there has been 9 minor updates / fixes. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it is not the oncoming train.

Thought for the day:

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 46
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 4/7/2016 7:57:19 AM   
BigDuke66

Well finally some clue of how development is going, 6.5 weeks and 9 minor updates/fixes sounds like a good rolling development.
Would have liked to here this from Matrix

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 47
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 4/7/2016 10:15:56 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

Will there be biometrics? You know -- so that my younger sister won't sign in and screw my turn... She's quite good at cracking ordinary passwords...

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 48
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 4/7/2016 10:28:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield
Will there be biometrics? You know -- so that my younger sister won't sign in and screw my turn... She's quite good at cracking ordinary passwords...

Sounds like you need one of those units that reads your thumbprint or your eyes retina. Or hardwire your computer so that she gets
shocked when she touches it. Or something.

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 49
RE: A quick update on the game's status - 4/8/2016 1:05:56 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Or hardwire your computer so that she gets shocked when she touches it.

That's a good idea. Thanks!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: A quick update on the game's status Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI