Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Peiper's Charge

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Peiper's Charge Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/21/2019 9:53:11 AM   
rico21

For me, it's a scenario for two reasons:
-No night
-No reinforcements
I had this scenario in mind for decades but I could not visualize it on a map, until the solution of the two maps.
Rico the visionary.

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 811
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/21/2019 9:42:17 PM   
UP844

@Hailstone:

I just finished playing "Pyrrhic Victory" (I took notes for an AAR, but it will require some time): the British have a 4.5 inch howitzer but the AI sets it up in the terrain with the highest TEM (stone building) and so it cannot fire (only 75mm or less AT guns are allowed to fire from buildings).

The only solution that comes to my mind is to place a few entrenchments in possible as possible setup hexes and to designate them as a separate set-up zone.

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 812
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 1:51:24 AM   
Hailstone

UP844, I did notice the 4.5-inch gun was not firing but I thought it was because it wouldn't fire HE against armored targets. I did confirm
that the 4.5-inch gun won't fire at anything from within a building but why would the AI place it in a building? You found a bug! I replaced
the 4.5-inch with the 2 pounders that were actually mentioned in the description. I think that would be the historical fix.

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 813
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 11:07:12 AM   
slaphappypappy

Rico, you devil.
Without revealing anything for others who wish to play this scenario, I wish there was a way to remove immobilized vehicles by friendly fire or such.
My one time over aggressiveness cost me the capture of one victory hex.
I could elaborate in a PM if you wish.
Slaphappypappy

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 814
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 11:07:59 AM   
slaphappypappy

Forgot scenario name.
Peiper's Charge

(in reply to slaphappypappy)
Post #: 815
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 12:58:59 PM   
UP844

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hailstone

UP844, I did notice the 4.5-inch gun was not firing but I thought it was because it wouldn't fire HE against armored targets. I did confirm that the 4.5-inch gun won't fire at anything from within a building but why would the AI place it in a building? You found a bug!

I have only carried out a handful of tests aimed at understanding the logic governing the AI selection of set-up hexes, so I am not 100% sure about my ideas about this matter. As far as I know, within a given Set-up Zone, the AI sets up:
- Personnel Units and Ordnance in the hexes with the highest TEM (*)
- AFVs in any open terrain hex
Within the above categories, VP hexes appear to have priority over non-VP hexes.

This means that the classical SL/ASL formula "Germans set up on any hex of map XX" approach will turn into "AI Germans set up in any highest TEM hexes of map XX". The only viable solution I have found - so far - is defining multiple Set-up Zones for the AI, even though this means limiting the freedom of placement for human players. I think that having the AI consider all the factors we humans take into account when we set up units is impossible.

(*) Apparently, the AI does not take into account the ability to fire from the selected set-up hex. The placement of the 4.5" in this scenario is a proof of this; another example is the repeated placement of light mortars in building hexes. Non-light mortars appear to be an exception to this rule, as I never found them placed in buildings (but this could depend on the scenario set-up zones).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hailstone

I replaced the 4.5-inch with the 2 pounders that were actually mentioned in the description. I think that would be the historical fix.

This would give an entirely different flavor to the scenario. My Panzers roamed across the village with no trouble(*), firing into British-occupied housed at point-blank range, surrounding British units and causing massive losses through failure to rout. A couple of 2-pdrs should make them much more cautious.

Has the new version been uploaded?

(*) ATRs are serious contenders (along with human player Radios) for the title of "Most Useless Piece of Junk in ToTH". I remember firing (and hitting) 5 times a BT-5 (one of the less armored AFV in game) in the rear at point-blank range with no effect at all .

< Message edited by UP844 -- 1/22/2019 1:00:32 PM >

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 816
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 1:26:12 PM   
rico21

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaphappypappy

Rico, you devil.
Without revealing anything for others who wish to play this scenario, I wish there was a way to remove immobilized vehicles by friendly fire or such.
My one time over aggressiveness cost me the capture of one victory hex.
I could elaborate in a PM if you wish.
Slaphappypappy

No need. I know that there are hexes in the scenario where you should not have a tank immobilized because it blocks those who follow.
Whether it's a P-47 rocket or an anti-tank fire.
The idea of scuttling the tank would be a good idea but for the moment, it is better to have several backups to go back or turn the scenario into a campaign to benefit from night repairs.

Post #: 817
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 3:02:00 PM   
slaphappypappy

<< or turn the scenario into a campaign to benefit from night repairs.>>
Never thought of that!

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 818
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 3:03:58 PM   
rico21

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaphappypappy

<< or turn the scenario into a campaign to benefit from night repairs.>>
Never thought of that!

Because you are not a visionnary

Post #: 819
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 4:32:16 PM   
LN59

With a long delay, Happy New Year to All
and my most sincere thanks for all these
extraordinary and varied scenarios!

The Museum:
http://www.december44.com/en/history_battle_of_the_bulgela_gleize.htm

Other links of interest:
http://ostfront.forumpro.fr/t3828-le-tigre-ii-de-la-gleize-belgique
https://americanpatrol.skyrock.com/1970577365-Bigre-un-Tigre-By-Jove-a-tiger-Verd-Ein-Tiger.html
http://tank-photographs.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/La-Gleize-Stoumont-king-tiger-tank-II-1944.html

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LN59 -- 1/22/2019 4:34:13 PM >

"On ne passe pas !"
The French soldiers' motto (Verdun, 1916)

"One does not pass! The Covid-19 even less."
Years 2020, 2021 motto, 2022 distant memory

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 820
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/22/2019 5:49:50 PM   
rico21

I see you coming with your big après-ski, you would like me to do a monster scenario on the Gleize with dozens of German tanks attacked by the elite American troops,
you take me for a visionary?

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 821
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/23/2019 2:37:40 AM   
slaphappypappy

A 25 turn scenario should be a campaign, n'est pa?

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 822
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/23/2019 2:47:05 AM   
rico21

In theory yes, but I chose the option scenario to reflect the difficulty of supplying the Germans in their progression.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 823
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/23/2019 2:54:20 AM   
slaphappypappy

<<In theory yes, but I chose the option scenario to reflect the difficulty of supplying the Germans in their progression.>>

Understood.

I have a question.
Do the German vehicles chance for armament malfunction increase in later years. It seems like they break more often in later year scenarios.
Or am I just having bad luck?

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 824
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/23/2019 3:26:08 AM   
slaphappypappy

Pyrrhic Victory was updated in post 808 of this thread.

Post #: 825
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/23/2019 3:27:36 AM   
slaphappypappy

And I must say it made it a much better scenario.

I'm half way through and having a great challenge.

Post #: 826
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/23/2019 12:06:55 PM   
LN59

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

I see you coming with your big après-ski, you would like me to do a monster scenario on the Gleize with dozens of German tanks attacked by the elite American troops,
you take me for a visionary?

Sir! Yes Sir!

For the three following reasons:

- 'To oppose Peiper's spearhead, the Allies sent several of their elite divisions, first the tanks of the 3rd Armored Division to support of the infantrymen of the 30th Division(*) and later the paratroops of the famous 82nd Airborne Division.'

[Comment found on the 'December 1944 Museum' of La Gleize web-site]

(*) The 30th 'Old Hickory' US Infantry Division has liberated my own town, Valenciennes, on September 2nd, 1944.

< Message edited by LN59 -- 1/23/2019 12:07:51 PM >

"On ne passe pas !"

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 827
La Gleize - 1/27/2019 11:55:00 AM   
rico21

La Gleize

When we speak of the Battle of the Bulge we inevitably think of the heroism of the American troops encircled at Bastogne, but
in the German plans, it is in the Ardennes forests to the north that is the keystone of the offensive; Bastogne must be
bypassed, without lingering, like other pockets of resistance considered secondary.
The full weight of the offensive in the north is therefore based on the 1.SS Panzer-Division Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler led by
Obersturmbannführer Jochen Peiper.
To face them, the Allies sent several of their elite divisions, first tanks of the 3rd Armored Division in support of the
infantry of the 30th Infantry Division "the Roosevelt SS" and finally the paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne.
Encircled at La Gleize by US forces, 800 LAH survivors fled on Christmas Eve 1944, leaving 135 armored vehicles on the ground.
It is this failure that is considered today as the main cause of the German defeat in the Battle of the Bulge.
It can be said that if the Americans won the Battle of the Bulge in Bastogne, the Germans lost it to La Gleize.

American (3rd AD, 30th ID, 82nd Airborne...) -->[ German (Kampfgruppe Peiper...)

Best played only American SIDE(AI does not know well how to maneuver the American Units) / with LOS: 6 Hexes / with RULE: Devil
and Sneaky / with MOD: Yours / etc.

Scenario Length: 15 Game Turns
Victory objective: The side with the required Victory Points is the winner. Both sides gets VPs for owning VP Objectives.
Scenario designer : Genius'Men [ Flames Of War - ASL Scenarios - Close Combat Wacht Am Rhein ]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 828
RE: La Gleize - 1/27/2019 2:21:53 PM   
Big Ivan

Thanks Rico for this new scenario and the well written summary of this important part of the Ardennes Offensive!

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 829
RE: La Gleize - 1/27/2019 4:21:16 PM   
rico21

You're welcome John.
Don't forget, good things in this scenario is the touch of Rico,
bad things are the fault to LN59.

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 830
RE: La Gleize - 1/28/2019 7:30:18 AM   
LN59

You're right Eric!
The absent are always wrong...

"On ne passe pas !"

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 831
RE: La Gleize - 1/30/2019 10:44:43 PM   
slaphappypappy

La Gleize was a great scenario!
After 10 turns I was faced with the realization that I had very little chance of making my objectives and started over.
Made it to Stoumont with great losses so I was left with the reality of continuing and revealing more of the defensive layout, or starting over.
Even then it came down to the last turn to get both VP's. The A.I. could've advanced a leader into one of them on the last advance phase, so I say I got a very hard fought draw.
Big scenario as far as units but the 6 hex range for visibility kept the game moving without much slowdown.

Thanks Rico!

(in reply to LN59)
Post #: 832
RE: La Gleize - 1/31/2019 3:46:56 AM   
rico21

Thanks Slaphappypappy.

AAR like I like it.It reveals the spirit of the scenario without discovering the game.
Historically, La Gleize was encircled and not directly conquered by the Allies but abandoned by Peiper.
To reflect this, the southern point of victory which represents the encirclement is the most "easy" to take and the one to the north which represents the destruction of the kampfgruppe, I nicknamed it VPyrrhus.

< Message edited by rico21 -- 1/31/2019 3:49:41 AM >

Post #: 833
Bastogne Best Rico Scenario - 2/1/2019 10:12:25 AM   
rico21

Bastogne

On December 23, at 5:25 pm, after a violent preparation of artillery on Marvie, due mainly to tank guns, which lasts ten
minutes, an attack of infantry and tanks takes place towards the locality. An American platoon projecting, without support of
anti-tank guns, is surrounded and destroyed. The Germans then progress on Marvie and seize homes on the southern edge. Street
fighting commits and lasts until dawn. Tanks can not advance in narrow streets clogged with debris from American vehicles; two
US tanks came in reinforcement.
Further west, there is also a German penetration, but the attackers do not realize that there is a breakthrough, and shortly
after midnight reinforcements restore the situation. However, the enemy remains on the southern edge of Marvie. To the west of
Bastogne, at nightfall, the Americans abandon the Flamierge salient under the pressure of the enemy and retreat to the heights
east of Mande-Saint-Etienne. In the afternoon, 241 aircrafts drop off the garrison 150 tons of supplies of which only 5% are
lost. On December 24, air refueling continues and 100 tons are dumped.
As the thrust of the 4th Armored Division of the 3rd Army, towards Bastogne is felt, the German Command decides to hasten the
capture of the city. The 26. Volksgrenadier Division and the 15. Panzergrenadier Division who have just arrived on the sector
will make a new attack; 5. Fallschirmjäger Division will ensure the freedom of action of the operation by block facing south.
The decisive operation will run on Christmas Day. On December 25, 1944, the German Command attacked west of Bastogne because he
felt that the terrain was more favorable to tanks and that Americans expected less action on this side; the operation will be
carried out at night, for fear of air superiority. Still due to the approach of the 3th Army, the attack will begin before the
entire 15. Panzergrenadier Division is hard at work.
Americans are everywhere on guard. The parachuting of supplies has increased the confidence of the troops, who no longer feel
totally isolated. The artillery whose ammunition was nearing completion is replenished and the old artilleryman, McAuliffe, is
convinced that as long as the cannons have projectiles, Bastogne will hold.
Each online regiment has a 105mm battalion short in support. McAuliffe operates as a general fire reserve, the 105mm battalion
of Combat Command B and 20 155mm howitzers from the two VIIIth Corps artillery battalions that he was able to recover. At 2:45
am, begins an artillery preparation on the front of the 502nd and 327th regiments; at 03:30, starts the attack on Fields. The
three companies A, B and C of the 1st Battalion of the 502nd are arranged in depth.
The 15. Panzergrenadier Division hires two battalions who enter Fields where a violent street fight begins; a breach is also
created at the limit of the 1st and 2nd battalions of the 502nd. The commander of the 2nd Battalion bends his left end.
The commander of the 1st battalion carried his company B to the road block south of Champs, but he does not want to engage this
unit in Champs before the day is up, because it is impossible to distinguish the two adversaries; on the other hand, he has a
very clear sensation that a blow will be fired in another direction; therefore he will not engage his whole world prematurely.
He nevertheless sent a platoon to the welding of the 1st and 2nd battalions. In Champs, the company A, helped by two Tank
Destroyers, resists.
At 07:10, after a brief preparation of artillery concentrated in this sector, a tank-infantry group of the 15. Panzergrenadier
attacked the 3rd battalion of the 327th Glider; 18 Mark IV, infested with infantrymen, force on a narrow front the perimeter
north-east of Mande-Saint-Etienne; they submerge the cordon by cannon fire, machine guns and rifles, tanks and mounted
infantry. Although the 327th is fixed on all the rest of the front by the enemy activity, the perimeter closes in the back of
the armored force which pierced it.
Faced with this threat on his flank and his rear, the commander of the 1st battalion of the 502nd warned his companies B and C;
the gap between these two units is filled by a detachment hastily made up of everything on hand, including the cooks and
typists of the 502nd staff at Rolle Castle (Stone Detachment).
The German tanks, after having pierced the lines of the 327th, divide themselves into two groups; 7 tanks pushed in the
direction of Rolle, towards Hemroulle. The 7 tanks of the first group, each mounted by 15 to 20 infantry, destroy the two Tank
Destroyers which are to the west of the company C and go towards this one by submitting it to the fire of the tanks and the
fusiliers, of which the shot is imprecise in the fog; the company retreats to a recognized position under the trees, at the
edge of the woods. Behind this position, two Tank Destroyers are hidden.
At very short range, rifles, bazookas, cannons of Tank Destroyers, open fire on the tanks; affected infantrymen fall from their
vehicles; 4 of the 7 tanks are destroyed. Their leader directs the others towards the north to take Fields backwards; one of
them wanders towards Hemroulle where he will be captured intact; the sixth is knocked out by Stone; there will be only one left
to reach Champs where he will be an easy prey for the company A.
The other group of 11 tanks is not happier. It is first subjected to the fires of the Tank Destroyers in support of the 327th
companies and bazookas defenders of the perimeter; then he comes up against the barrage of the artillery battalion in support
of the 327th; 2 of these tanks are stopped at a distance of 500 meters from a battery and their crews go to the gunners who
rush to pick them. Under such an avalanche of multiple fires, the 11 tanks will also be lost.
At 09 00, not one of the 18 Mark IV who had crossed the perimeter had escaped his fate; not one of the team men or infantry,
will avoid death or capture. At 15:00, Champs is cleaned, the perimeter restored, its occupation changed. The team Cherry of the
mobile reserve, sent as early as 08:00 by McAuliffe to Hemroulle, then to Rolle, did not have to intervene. The only
penetration within the McAuliffe perimeter thus ends with the total destruction of the attackers.
McAuliffe did not let himself be influenced by the extent of his perimeter and kept himself from getting his whole world online.
He had neither minefield nor airfield, but the deep staggering of the defense, the mobile reserve, the infantry-artillery
cooperation, allowed him to be constantly on guard.

German (XLVII Panzer Korps...) -->[ American (101st Airborne...)

Best played only German SIDE(AI does not know well how to maneuver the German Units) / with LOS: 6 Hexes*day-3 hexes*night /
with RULE: Nuts / with MOD: Yours / etc.

Campaign Length: 20 Game Turns
Victory objective: The side with the required Victory Points is the winner. Both sides gets VPs for owning VP Objectives.
Scenario designer : Genius'Men [ World Of Tanks - ASL Scenarios - Close Combat Wacht Am Rhein ]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 834
RE: Peiper's Charge - 2/1/2019 4:51:44 PM   
rico21

Thanks Paullus for your work.

My last scenario is a Campaign(Night and Day) and is inspired not by Flames of War but by World of Tanks, I know, I know...

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 835
RE: Peiper's Charge - 2/1/2019 8:03:50 PM   
Paullus

Thank you. Your work is awsome.
I was a bit quick there

< Message edited by Paullus -- 2/1/2019 8:04:32 PM >

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 836
RE: Peiper's Charge - 2/2/2019 3:52:29 AM   
Rosseau

The Master at work...Thank you, Rico.

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 837
RE: Peiper's Charge - 2/2/2019 3:18:43 PM   
Hailstone

Peiper's Charge was a very enjoyable scenario and unique with what amounts to two games in one. Rico keeps breaking
typical scenario design convention by thinking outside the box. I could now imagine scenarios where multiple attack paths
can be played simultaneously side by side with a divider between them. So obvious, so simple, so genius!

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 838
RE: Peiper's Charge - 2/2/2019 5:15:58 PM   
rico21

Thanks Mike and Sam.
Peiper's charge, The Gleize and Bastogne definitely bring TOTH into the world of Operational / Tactical Wargame.
For that we just have to reduce victory points and abandon the idea of reciprocity of scenarios by focusing only on the attacking side.
This offers great future giant scenarios for the future for us and great DLCs if Paullus wishes.

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 839
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 2/2/2019 8:20:54 PM   
Hailstone

Here's another one I stumbled upon in one of my drunken stupors...

In Sight of the Volga

Stalingrad, September 14th, 1942: Despite the severe setbacks of the previous winter, the German
blitzkrieg had again proven itself the master of the steppe and as the Germans approached Stalingrad
the stream of disheartened Russian prisoners continued unabated. Chuikov's defense of the city's central
district and the all important main ferry landing lay largely in the hands of hastily mobilized militia
composed of factory workers and the NKVD garrison. These troops would have to hold the Wehrmacht at bay
until Rodimtsev's 13th Guards Division could cross the Volga into the city. But as the Germans 76th
Infantry Division entered the ruins of downtown Stalingrad on a two mile wide front, they met the enemy
in a new environment more suitable to his talents. Nevertheless, as Captain Gerhard Meunch personally led
his 3rd Battalion in the assault, he had every expectation of reaching the Volga that day.

Game Length: 10 turns

For the Germans to win they must capture The Factory in downtown Stalingrad
For the Russians to win they must defend The Factory in downtown Stalingrad

Germans: Squads, HMG, MMG's, LMG's
Russians: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, INF Gun

Boards: #1, #20

Aftermath: Suffering heavy casualties almost immediately, the Germans nonetheless pushed on and paid a
terrible price for approximately two blocks of downtown Stalingrad. Meanwhile the 13th Guards Division
was being ferried across the Volga and into the scantily held defenses. Both sides clung to their desperately
positions along the West bank, neither knowing how precarious was the hold of the other. Although in sight
of the Volga, having suffered nearly 80% casualties and with his battalion reduced to less than 50 men,
Meunch was obliged to go over to the defense short of his objective and hold his costly gains - if he
could. The morning will see fresh defenders in the Russian positions. The chance to take the city proper
in one bold stroke was gone. Now progress would have to be measured by individual rooms - not city blocks.

Source: ASL Scenario 5, In Sight of the Volga

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Peiper's Charge Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI