Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PBEM files hacked

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: PBEM files hacked Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 5:35:40 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

...A long time ago - I forget which year it was - there was a WITP (AE or plain I don't recall either) AAR on a German game forum called to our attention here on this forum where this Allied player was absolutely cleaning up. IIRC he had done so in prior games as well. To make a long story short, it was found (and I guess he eventually admitted) that he used software development and diagnostics tools to hack the game in progress (whether in memory or in save format on disk I don't know). Used it to jack up stats of various things, so it was really like his opponent was playing against the space invaders who had warp technology.

It was an AE thread in 2012.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3062960&mpage=1&key=hack�

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 61
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 5:41:47 PM   
ericv

I am having trouble in the air war. I have had 2 opponents in PBEM, one of which disappeared and I am getting crushed in both games. So I was googling for air war threads in this game.
Besides that, I am a hacker. I excel at programming and looking at how programs work in memory. Unsurprisingly I am socially just very awkward.

Googling for air war threads, (the search function on this forum really needs someone like me to get it a lot better), I came across this thread. That's all

I meant no disrespect. I am just being honest from the viewpoint my skillset.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 62
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 5:46:38 PM   
btd64

That's fine. We take honesty and trustworthiness pretty seriously around here....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 63
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 6:37:11 PM   
Canoerebel

I'd forgotten about the 2012 thread regarding hacking and cheating (the one referred to in Alfred's post above). To my knowledge, the issue of hacking has never been raised again. There's never been any concern that a person has manipulated game files or has the ability to do so. Were the hacks fixed by Matrix or did the issue simply fade away because the community is essentially so trustworthy that the issue never comes up?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 64
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 6:53:49 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'd forgotten about the 2012 thread regarding hacking and cheating (the one referred to in Alfred's post above). To my knowledge, the issue of hacking has never been raised again. There's never been any concern that a person has manipulated game files or has the ability to do so. Were the hacks fixed by Matrix or did the issue simply fade away because the community is essentially so trustworthy that the issue never comes up?

By it's nature, there is nothing which can be fixed. Doing what he did takes certain knowledge and skills, but there is nothing beyond that to stop it being done because of the nature of the software running on your own computer in your own home. A person (with the requisite skills and knowledge) could always do what he did.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 65
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 6:54:11 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

...A long time ago - I forget which year it was - there was a WITP (AE or plain I don't recall either) AAR on a German game forum called to our attention here on this forum where this Allied player was absolutely cleaning up. IIRC he had done so in prior games as well. To make a long story short, it was found (and I guess he eventually admitted) that he used software development and diagnostics tools to hack the game in progress (whether in memory or in save format on disk I don't know). Used it to jack up stats of various things, so it was really like his opponent was playing against the space invaders who had warp technology.

It was an AE thread in 2012.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3062960&mpage=1&key=hack�

Alfred

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 66
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 6:58:22 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Were the hacks fixed by Matrix or did the issue simply fade away because the community is essentially so trustworthy that the issue never comes up?

Don't know the answer to that, but would say I hope I never encounter it. Look time is a valuable thing and no matter how one decides to spend it I would hope that would be respected. Even if I had the ability, which I don't, I would never resort to such antics. Hey, after all its just a game and if my opponent, whoever that might be, legitimately hands me my head, then so be it. Its not like I'm going to lose sleep over it. OK, well maybe a little.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 67
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 7:01:49 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericv

I am having trouble in the air war. I have had 2 opponents in PBEM, one of which disappeared and I am getting crushed in both games. So I was googling for air war threads in this game.
Besides that, I am a hacker. I excel at programming and looking at how programs work in memory. Unsurprisingly I am socially just very awkward.

Googling for air war threads, (the search function on this forum really needs someone like me to get it a lot better), I came across this thread. That's all

We are all socially awkward around here. So much so those who are not are, by definition, socially awkward here!

Also, there is a long tradition of thread necromancy, most of which go unexplained so thanks for letting us know!

As for the air war, same thing as applies to the rest of the game but the air war is one of the more difficult aspects. There is lots to figure out factually, and then you develop a feel for how to conduct things. The details will still matter but you will have gotten to the point where your cpu is available for the air war that is made up of the details - the next level of it. Always keep in mind too you might be doing things that would work against 90% of people but maybe your opponent at the moment is just really good at that part of the game.

Keeps you off the streets at night!

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 68
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 8:25:00 PM   
geofflambert

I can't even keep track of my own passwords and now I'm supposed to keep track of my opponents?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 69
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 9:02:36 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I can't even keep track of my own passwords and now I'm supposed to keep track of my opponents?

Hey, it's not our fault Gorns have limited memory.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 70
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 9:33:02 PM   
GetAssista

For this kind of game reputation of the player means a lot. Trip once and you've tarnished your name and history forever. And for what? There is no instant gratification in this game. You have to spend hours and days anyway.

All this decreases the probability of you ever playing against the hacker quite a lot

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 71
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/11/2018 9:50:05 PM   
Admiral DadMan

I admit it...

I'm a hack.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 72
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/12/2018 12:33:05 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

For this kind of game reputation of the player means a lot. Trip once and you've tarnished your name and history forever. And for what? There is no instant gratification in this game. You have to spend hours and days anyway.

All this decreases the probability of you ever playing against the hacker quite a lot

Hours and days? Maybe for the short scenarios! The GC is a months/years endeavour so you must have an opponent who respects boundaries and takes occasional disasters in stride. Unmitigated disaster makes for a very short GC.

If you want a challenge, try hacking Putin's phone or computer and tell us what's on it!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 73
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/12/2018 8:08:31 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Hours and days? Maybe for the short scenarios! The GC is a months/years endeavour ...

I've tried to not count time when you are actually having a life or sleeping Anyway, I agree I've severely underestimated the commitment

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 74
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/12/2018 8:13:13 AM   
JohnDillworth

If you take a bit of care in creating your password your shouldn't have a problem. I use one of these.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 7/12/2018 8:27:19 AM >

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 75
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/12/2018 8:40:04 AM   
JeffroK

Oh, the thing they took from U 571!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 76
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/12/2018 4:01:56 PM   
JohnDillworth

Not sure but I expect the one they got from the U-571 was a 3 wheel Enigma machine. This is a much rarer , late war 4 wheel machine. That makes my passwords harder to crack ! Anyway, these things come up at auction from time to time. https://gizmodo.com/german-enigma-machine-found-at-flea-market-fetches-51-1796845819

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 77
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/12/2018 4:44:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Not sure but I expect the one they got from the U-571 was a 3 wheel Enigma machine. This is a much rarer , late war 4 wheel machine. That makes my passwords harder to crack ! Anyway, these things come up at auction from time to time. https://gizmodo.com/german-enigma-machine-found-at-flea-market-fetches-51-1796845819

I think someone is trolling a bit about the movie. The movie prop is very clearly a 4 wheel Enigma machine.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 78
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/12/2018 4:50:52 PM   
BBfanboy

The British captured U-110 in 1941, which I think is prior to the four rotor Enigma machine. That may have been the reference to a three-rotor machine.

Edit: U-110 foundered while under tow back to Britain but the Enigma machine and codes had already been removed.

This article confirms that the fourth rotor was required after Feb. 1. 1942:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/20/enigma-code-u-boat-u559-hms-petard-sebag-montefiori

U-559 was captured in October 1942 which netted a four-rotor Enigma machine.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 7/12/2018 4:58:21 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 79
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/12/2018 5:06:27 PM   
Chickenboy

"You won't come up for air until it's over!"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 80
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/13/2018 1:40:42 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericv

The forum currently used an older version of this:
http://www.aspplayground.net/

I have heard Slitherine (Matrix's parent company) is working on an upgrade to the Matrix forum. I don't know when it will happen.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 81
RE: PBEM files hacked - 7/13/2018 6:35:21 PM   
Edward75

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall

quote:

don't play Russians or Chinese, Voting for DT?

and here is politics too ?! Oh my God))

(in reply to Marshall)
Post #: 82
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: PBEM files hacked Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI