Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2016 11:54:05 PM   
rjord2021

Diagram as mentioned in the last post explaining how landing party missions are won or lost and how they determine the effect on your command points.

The diagram looks complicated but it will be on a form you print out and easily followed and documented to show how it works. The fate of the mission is normally decided within a minute or two.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/20/2016 12:11:12 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 151
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/20/2016 12:40:25 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I'm not criticizing (seriously),because I really like what your doing and I fully appreciate this is a LOT of freakin work. I'm just mentioning in passing that the systems had names, the planets had numbers aka the Ceti Alpha star system had several planets ( Ceti Alpha 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.)

Earth is actually Sol 3 named Earth by one set of lunatic local's

I am using the Memory Beta site to initially get names in the system.

For Sol they list

Mercury
Venus
Earth
Luna
Mars
Phobos
Deimos
Ceres and the Sol asteroid belt
Wrigley's Pleasure Planet
Jupiter
Io
Europa
Ganymede
Callisto
Saturn
Enceladus
Titan
Uranus
Ariel
Neptune
Triton
Nereid
Pluto
Charon
Nix
Eris
Dysnomia

I think during the tv shows the characters always referred to Earth and not Sol3 because the tv audience would not know Sol3 was Earth.

With the Ceti Alpha system there were 6 planets.

Ceti Alpha (primary)
Ceti Alpha I
Ceti Alpha II
Ceti Alpha III
Ceti Alpha IV
Ceti Alpha V
Ceti Alpha VI (destroyed)
Ceti Alpha asteroid belt

When I mapped the Beta Quadrant 12 months ago I had randomly put in planets according to what Distant Worlds decided... which is why the picture of the Ceti Alpha system has 8 planets not 6.

I am checking the planets in the system according to Star Trek before creating them in the Alpha Quadrant.

I will be reviewing and fixing all planets in the Beta Quadrant before the mod is released however many systems do not indicate bodies in the system or their names.

I should also correctly add moons around the correct planets and have the correct name for the moon... the problem is I have not seen a source which gives me the names of all the moons.Saturn of course has 62 moons which would crash Distant worlds if I tried adding them all in :)

With the systems I am mostly naming the system according to the Star Trek atlas which helps in the map where you have a system called Delta Vega and know that Delta Vega is the primary planet in that system.

In the pilot episode of Star Trek TOS they left Gary Mitchel on a planet called Delta Vega 1 in a system called Delta Vega. In the 2009 movie Spock was on the planet Delta Vega in the Vulcan system when he watched the planet Vulcan be destroyed. This can get confusing if I have a starfleet card giving a mission to Delta Vega which might be in the Vulcan or Delta Vega systems.

Getting the event cards working in Distant Worlds Universe is challenging and I try to follow canon as best as I can but sometimes the system may be named after the Prime Planet instead of its scientific name.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:21:45 AM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 152
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/20/2016 12:43:31 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

it's not clear to me if the above Steam-forum hint delete the nebulaes and gas clouds object from the galaxy map or only the nebulae and gas clouds names..

Have alook at this post
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3616018

What I found interesting is that the clean galaxy option when ticked removed the names printed in the background over nebulas ...which is what I was trying to do.

When I then unticked the clear galaxy option everything else came back but the names printed in the background over nebulas. Not complaining because that is what I had wanted.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:22:01 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 153
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/20/2016 1:44:31 AM   
rjord2021

I have seen on the Steam forums that some people have issues with Distant Worlds slowing down on their computers.
This is a good point to consider as my event cards could add to performance issues.

My thoughts are that I take my role playing system off Distant Worlds and I am looking at this over the next day or so.

I am using software to quickly create the rpg event cards for this distant world mod as seen below with this example card for Talos IV and can even add game counters you can print off for tracking events.

More news on this later.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 154
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/20/2016 9:58:23 PM   
rjord2021

You will now need 4 dice for this game as a new random system has been put in place.

When you enter a system and drop out of warp 84% of the time you will carry on with your mission in Distant Worlds.

However 16% of the time you will have an interruption to the mission and there are now over 20 random events that can occur in any system throughout the map. No two gameplays of this mod will be the same as the other.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:22:15 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 155
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/22/2016 12:22:09 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

as I said previously: very unusual for a computer strategy game but very interesting .. :-)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 156
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/22/2016 5:36:05 AM   
soulcatcherVM

Please post your DWU mod work in progress versions for us to look at before another lightning strike destroys your awesome work.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 157
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/25/2016 9:12:25 PM   
rjord2021

When your ship arrives at a planet and the planet is found to have life forms on it, you as the captain will want to send down a landing party to the planet.

However, before you send down a landing party according to Starfleet protocols you must first contact the planet and seek permission to beam down and meet their representatives.

You may or may not be given permission to beam down to the planet and this will depend on how many command points your captain has. If you have a low number of command points you will lack experience and may at times be refused permission to beam down.

This could have severe implications on your game if for example this planet was one with future Federation importance. Example. If you were not given permission to beam down to Vulcan, certain aspects of the game would not happen so easily and for the remainder of the game Vulcans may not join the Federation... a situation you really want to avoid.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:22:29 AM >

(in reply to soulcatcherVM)
Post #: 158
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/29/2016 10:34:20 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

hello Rjord1, any news on your Star Trek project ?

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 159
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/29/2016 11:54:04 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

hello Rjord1, any news on your Star Trek project ?

Still being developed...... however the last few weeks have been a little hectic as someone close to me passed away suddenly and I am in the process of looking after her 2 cats and bringing them into my home to live with the 2 cats I already have.

Will be getting back to this project full time this week.

What is happening with the project this week:

1. Going through every episode of Star Trek Enterprise to make sure every planet, system and race is included in my mod. For example, the Trill were mentioned in the first Episode of Enterprise

2. Once this is done do the same for the Kirk tv series and movies

3 With the Galaxy Map for the mod the one issue is that there are no official canon Star Trek maps in existence. In fact if you look at different maps you will see that the Klingons and Romulans may with some maps be in completely different areas in relation to where the Federation is. I have been using the Star Trek Atlas for creating this map however though fairly detailed it does not include all planets in each sector of the Alpha and Beta quadrants. Hence the reason I am going through every episode of Enterprise and TOS looking at which planet and which species were mentioned in that episode and making sure they are shown on my map. I am not watching every episode but looking at detailed notes for each episode which can take anything up to one hour to find a planet or system mentioned in an episode but missing from my map, research it and then add to my map. A fairly lengthy process I am doing bit by bit every day along with creating the game cards etc.

Below is an example of 2 maps.... the lower map being the one that I am using and the upper map having features that will be added.

The end result is a very detailed map showing every system and planet mentioned in Star Trek along with 5 different galaxy maps which show every cluster, every nebula, the Badlands, drifts and other galactic body known to Star Trek. As the Klingons are found and the game card for my mod tells you that the Neutral Zone between Federation and Klingon space has been formed you will save the game , exit out and load the galaxy map for showing the Klingon Neutral Zone. Same thing for the Romulan Neutral Zone and a 3rd map showing both Romulan and Klingon neutral zones.

As you play the mod you will get to learn where specific races are. However if you head towards Gorn space to meet the Gorns you may not meet them as they will randomly be there. For all you know the Romulans have passed the Neutral Zone and taken control of planets that in canon were Gorn controlled.

Every time you play the mod you can try to follow the original time line. However the AI has a mind of its own and is going to do things that make this timeline an alternate timeline instead.

Every time you play the mod it is recommended you have the Klingons, Romulans and Vulcans in the game. Other races including Khan are going to be optional.

Images for the Nebula and the Expanses will be taken from the map as seen in the small example ashown in the upper part of the picture below. The upper map has a more detailed view of the expanses etc and will be pasted directly onto the map. Even though the nebula, expanse or drift is painted onto the map you will not know the name of it until you get there and an event card you see when reaching the nebula will tell you which one it is. When you reach the Delphic Expanse yiou may or may not meet the Sphere Builders introduced in the Enterprise era.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/30/2016 12:03:55 AM >

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 160
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/30/2016 1:46:17 AM   
rjord2021

With the new Star Trek show arriving in 7 months, if the time era is what I think it is then races and planets introduced in that period will also be added to the mod as they would have existed in the Kirk era. These would be added to parts 1, 2 and 3 of the mod.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:22:46 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 161
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/30/2016 10:32:47 PM   
rjord2021

A lot of research is required to make sure I have every planet ever listed, mentioned or hinted at in Star Trek.

For example, I needed to add planets such as Gravesworld and Buckleys Planet into my map but where exactly were they?

Gravesworld was mentioned in the TNG episodes and Buckleys Planet was not mentioned at all but both planets were listed on a chart seen in the movie Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

That chart is shown below with the only view of it from the movie seen in the top part of the picture and a subsequent picture I found shown in the lower part of the picture. The location of these planets in Klingon space near the prison planet Rura Penthe is highlighted on the right.

I have the hi definition chart stored on my computer and these worlds will be added to the map with others I have found on the chart.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/30/2016 10:36:01 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 162
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/13/2016 8:45:12 PM   
rjord2021

A lot of progress has been made on the mod in the last 2 weeks.

Portraits of alien races are being created from scratch with images being designed for their appearance in both Distant Worlds Universe as well as with the various event cards.

Some imagining and research needs to go into some of these images.

For example the Tholians will be encountered on the planet Tholia which is a Y-class planet.

Y-Class planets are characterized by a toxic atmosphere, surface temperatures exceeding five hundred Kelvin and thermionic radiation discharges. They were sometimes nicknamed demon class planets due to their extremely inhospitable nature to most humanoid life. Tholian biology requires high temperatures around 480 Kelvin (207 °C, 404 °F). They can tolerate lower temperatures for a brief period of time; if they were exposed to temperatures around 380 Kelvin or less, their carapace would crack. In other words at lower temperatures they would freeze solid and shatter.

With the temperatures being over 500 Kelvin my thoughts are that Tholia is an extremely volcanic planet emitting a tonne of radiation.

Keeping this in mind I have the events of my mod considering this when your ship reaches Tholia. If you have the Tholians as one of the Empire races in the mod you will meet them at Tholia. Otherwise the Tholians will be encountered as inhabitants on their world and a storyline will be played out using the event cards.

Considering the inhospitable nature of Tholia if you take a landing party down to Tholia you will need to wear special suits which puts your landing party in increased danger if the suits should fail.

Below is an example of an image I created showing a Tholain ambassador on Tholia.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 163
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/13/2016 9:55:33 PM   
rjord2021

200,000 years ago, the Iconian Civilization was annihilated by an unknown race. The Iconians were thought to be extinct however this was not the case and a number of Iconians had escaped through their Iconian Gateway to the Gamma Quadrant.

200,000 years after fleeing to the Gamma Quadrant, it is the year 2263 and the first of millions of Iconians steps through the Vandros IV Gateway from the Gamma Quadrant.

The Iconians have returned to the Beta Quadrant to return home to Iconia.

The planet Iconia is in the Romulan Neutral Zone and soon the Iconians plan to destroy Romulus while causing the Tholians and some other races to become aggressive towards the Klingons and the Federation.

Below is an early image of what one of the Iconains look like on the planet Iconia..... some more photoshopping is required.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 164
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/14/2016 9:46:55 AM   
rjord2021

I have set myself a target of adding all 524 Star Trek races into the mod within the next 14 days.

For the next step of the mod I need Base pictures for each race to be added to the mod... at a later date the pictures will be modified as required.

The way this mod is planned any of these 524 races could form an Empire that you will have to deal with....on top of the races you selected at the beginning of the game.

524 possible Empires would mean you would have an almost infinite number of games played before you repeat the same game twice.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 6/14/2016 10:02:53 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 165
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/14/2016 4:30:11 PM   
Retreat1970

If you didn't know, you can only have 50 ship sets. If you did know, nvm.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 166
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/14/2016 8:47:13 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

If you didn't know, you can only have 50 ship sets. If you did know, nvm.

Thanks..... I have heard about it and will look more into it and work the mod around it.

As far as I know at the moment this is to do with the file fighters.txt

With all the races being added they are being added as independent alien life forms already on the planets.I have to do some testing on this but if these lesser known life forms need ships such as when they form an Empire then I am hoping they will use generic ships I will be building.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:23:13 AM >

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 167
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/14/2016 9:17:57 PM   
rjord2021

Today the first 27 independant alien life forms are being added to their respective planets in my Star Trek map and these will be used for testing before I add more in.

For example on Andoria I would have 2 different alien life forms.... the Andorians and the Aenar.

In tested the mod to make sure I was able to add two life forms on the one planet.
In my test shown below I added a Romulan and a Klingon colony on the planet Gamma Hyromi III

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 168
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/14/2016 9:32:05 PM   
rjord2021

One change I am making to the mod is calling the systems by their proper names.

For example the Andorian system will be renamed to the Kay'va system which consists of the following planets

Kuy'va (Primary)
Kastra (Andoria I)
Kuy'Thela (Andoria II)
Andron (Andoria III)
Brok'va (Andoria IV)
Andoria (Andoria V)
Onlith (Andoria Va)
Kul'va (Andoria VI)
Kazaan (Andoria VII)

This means that when your map shows a system called Kay'va you are not going to immediately recognise it as being the Andorian Home System as you would if it was called the Andorian System.

Following that example, the Klingons will have their home system called K'thar.
The Romulans however will still keep their system known by the correct name as the Romulan system

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:23:27 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 169
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/18/2016 7:35:39 AM   
rjord2021

Somewhere between the Mutara Nebula (as seen in the Wrath of Khan Movie) and Rigel is a system called Alpha Orionis.

The Betelgeusians are found on Betelgeuse II in this system and were referred to in the Original Motion Picture.

Details of this race were hard to find and while the Betelgeusians are on Betelgeuse II there is a major Orion population center on Betelgeuse XIII......assuming now that the Alpha Orionis system has at least 13 planets.

Below is the best image I can find of the Betelgeusians prior to my changing the TNG era uniform to one more suitable to the Kirk era.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 6/18/2016 7:38:35 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 170
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/18/2016 7:44:18 AM   
rjord2021

When researching the races that will appear in this mod sometimes there is very little to work with. For example, the picture below shows the 3 Betelgeusian Ambassadors seen in the Motion Picture movie and not much to go on here. But it gives me an idea of the clothing to photoshop onto the image in the prior post.

Nornmally I would not spend too much time on little-known races however the Betelgeusians are an interesting race and I have put together a story with them and the Orions on Betelgeuse XIII .

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 171
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/24/2016 6:37:12 PM   
Twigster

Holding out hope this is still coming along OK.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 172
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 6/24/2016 8:57:20 PM   
Lecivius

Me too. I come in here looking for news a few times a week

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 173
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 7/2/2016 9:45:43 PM   
rjord2021

Sorry for lack of updates in the last 2 weeks.

A fair bit of work has been done on the mod in the last 2 weeks and am still concentrating on 3 areas of the mod:

1... Building character profiles and pictures of every race encountered in every episode of Star Trek except Voyager which was in the Delta Quadrant.

2. Refining the Galaxy Map with the correct number of planets , names and locations in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants

3... Creating story cards and events for the mod starting with every planet and system encountered by James Kirk in the TOS series upto and including all movies up to and including Movie VI.

Characters in the Animated Star Trek are also recreated in the mod however not in their animated form.

For example below is Lieutenant Shiboline M'Ress from the animated series.

Lieutenant Shiboline M'Ress was an interesting character as she was the Communications officer on the enterprise when Uhura was absent for 6 episodes of the animated series.

M'Ress is from the Caitian species and below is a picture I found of the Caitian species w3hich I have photoshopped further to add to the mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 174
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 7/2/2016 9:51:16 PM   
rjord2021

There is a lot of work going into this early stage of the mod.....

This work is vital for setting the building blocks for parts 1, 2 and 3 of this mod and is something which is tedious and require a lot of research and photoshopping.

The aim is to have an alpha version of part 1 out as soon as possible ....followed by the release version.

Soon after that part 2 will be out followed by part 3.

Then when Distant Worlds 2 is released all 3 parts will be upgraded to DW2.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:23:51 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 175
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 7/2/2016 10:06:13 PM   
rjord2021

With the mod I am looking at the whole Alternate timeline thing as every time you play distant worlds you are in fact creating an alternate timeline from the original series of Star Trek.

For example the character of Spock is known to be serving on the Federation ship Enterprise which assumes that Earth and Vulcan are allies.

I need to look at a situation where Earth and Vulcan may not be allies and where this places Spock.Should he still be a Federation character or a Vulcan one.

This is handled by the event cards and you get instructions on how to deal with Spock...but there are many other characters like this that I need to deal with in the same way as they should not be on Federation planets or ships if their species are at war with the Federation.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:24:02 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 176
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 7/2/2016 10:35:14 PM   
rjord2021

There were slight differences in how the Cardassians appeared in TNg and those seen in DS9 and I have photoshopped how they would likely appear in the TOS era.

The Cardassian system now has the following in the system

Cardassia I - class B
Cardassia II - class B
asteroid belt
Cardassia III - class M
Cardassia IV - class M - (Hutet)
Cardassia V - class M - (Cardassia Minor)
Cardassia VI - class M - (Cardassia Prime)
asteroid belt
Cardassia VII - class Q
Cardassia VIII - class I

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:24:15 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 177
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 7/3/2016 4:11:48 PM   
rjord2021

Just a quick update on the project.....

I have gone through 123 species from A to E found in Star Trek and selected 74 of them...roughly discarding about 40% of them as not having enough information or any pictures about that specific race.

The next step is to add alien species from F through to Z ....there are roughly 264 species in this F to Z group.

Assuming the same 40% percent may be discarded I am looking at discarding 106 races and adding a further 158 species to the mod.

This would give a total of 232 species found on planets in my mod and any one of them can form an Empire if you have that option enabled.

These figures suggest that I am roughly 32% of the way through research, photoshopping and testing of the alien species you will 3encounter in the mod.

There will be more species added as I need to add in the species from the movies since 2009 and Star Trek Beyond coming out this month has 50 new species which may be eligible for this mod.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:24:26 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 178
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 7/3/2016 4:24:16 PM   
rjord2021

Some species did not make it into round one of selection for the mod.....however they could be added in a second round.

For example the species Bzzit Khaht is found on the planet Althos IV and was not added to the mod initially as their total screen time in any Star Trek episode or movie is roughly 1 second and only seen in the distance with very little detail.

However they are Federation members and should be seen in the mod some way and will more than likely be one of the many species encountered in the event RPG cards and not as a species in Distant Worlds that could form an Empire and be seen in ships etc.

Information has been extracted from them for the Galactic map recording that they are from Althos Iv in a system Nakagima 62B which I will need to find on the map and update accordingly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 179
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 7/3/2016 7:31:46 PM   
rjord2021

Have completed alien species group with names F to H. Of this group 11 made it into my mod and 10 were discarded due to insufficient data.

I discarded 47% of the species due to no pictures of that race or no information on their home world.... so this means of the remaining 253 species I am looking at possibly as few as 119 more species will be added this round.

Added in the Horta from Janus VI and the Hupyrian race from Tau Coronae to finish off this group.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 7/11/2016 3:24:40 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI