Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 6:14:12 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

We've successfully used these for years and you don't need to grease your pole.

It does help protect your nuts...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3031
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 6:15:41 PM   
geofflambert

Hey Chickenboy, here's another one of your industry's ads. The people are building a terrorist training camp.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/2/2017 6:17:19 PM >

Post #: 3032
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 6:16:31 PM   
geofflambert

What gives?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3033
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 9:04:43 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Are you referring to the "Thach Weave", a tactic developed in the Pacific War by an American named Jimmy Thach?
His invention was about paired fighters, when one was being dived on it would turn away and it's wingman would turn
towards the attacking enemy, so it would be a contest of four 50 cals against a couple 0f 12.7mms and a 20mm canon
which always fell short. Later in the war it would be six 50 cals. Devastating.

Yep, that's the right name for it, thank you! One crow will be ahead and slightly below the peregrine, the other behind and
above. When the falcon closes on the lead crow the trailing one swoops in either tries to peck the back of the
falcon or rakes it with its feet (can't get myself to write "talons" for a crow ) then resumes position when
the falcon pulls off its partner. Watching these avian dogfights almost every morning back in '93 was the highlight
of those days.

was Will_L for a while.

Post #: 3034
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 10:00:05 PM   
witpqs

quote:

So I have to ask a question about the mix you use in your hummingbird feeder.

Equal parts gin, vodka, whiskey, and Chateau Margaux 2009 Balthazar.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 3035
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 10:12:24 PM   
wdolson

quote:

There are ravens in your area, none around here.

I probably see ravens occasionally, but everyone calls the all black birds crows. They are very common around here, probably one of the most common birds along with scrub jays, and as you get down to the river bald eagles.

Ravens/crows are very smart. There is a girl in Seattle that has been feeding them in her back yard and cataloging the gifts they leave for her. A friend of mine heard one making a ruckus in her back yard, went out there and found one hanging near a dead one. She buried the dead one and the one that had been making the noise watched her then flew off. The next day the fence post nearest where she buried the dead one had a small collection of found objects like pull tabs from aluminum cans, an old nail, and some other debris small enough for a crow/raven to carry.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 3036
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 10:25:40 PM   
wdolson

quote:

In your area fungus and other things may get into the sugar water. I clean the feeders frequently and use bleach if they seem to need it. Bees of course may foul them and if ants are getting at them thats a big problem. If I have problems with the ants climbing the poles I smear them with vaseline. You can use double faced tape too.

There is also some stuff called Tanglefoot that can be smeared on things to create an ant barrier. I've used it on the trunks of my fruit trees when ants were climbing the tree and shewing through the stems of the fruit.

Plain old sugar can be made from different things. C&H is made from sugar cane, but most off brand sugars are made from whatever is cheapest, most often that's sugar beets. Most of the sugar beet crop is GMO these days. Monsanto claims that GMOs are safe, but I've heard the cafeteria at the lab where they develop these things is 100% organic. The people making the stuff refuse to eat it.

When I eat GMO corn I get a kick in the gut about 1/2 hour later, I have no problems at all with non-GMO corn. I've verified it many times when I've accidentally gotten GMO corn in something, I feel the familiar gut kick starting, look at the ingredients and sure enough there was a corn product in it. I don't get reactions from any other GMOs, but I'm cautious about them. I'm also hyper about reading labels now.

There may be a bit of a difference in flavor between sugar beet sugar (whatever type) and cane sugar that we have trouble detecting that the humming birds can taste.

Bill

Post #: 3037
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 10:30:00 PM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I wouldn't waste Chateau Margaux on birds. I prefer Chateau Haut Brion, but I wouldn't say no to Chateau Margaux. I think both are out of both of our budgets. The last bottle of first growth I had was worth about $300 at the time. Chinese demand has run the price into the stratosphere and also created a big wine counterfeiting industry.

Bill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3038
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 11:52:37 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: WRLertola

quote:

Are you referring to the "Thach Weave", a tactic developed in the Pacific War by an American named Jimmy Thach?
His invention was about paired fighters, when one was being dived on it would turn away and it's wingman would turn
towards the attacking enemy, so it would be a contest of four 50 cals against a couple 0f 12.7mms and a 20mm canon
which always fell short. Later in the war it would be six 50 cals. Devastating.

Yep, that's the right name for it, thank you! One crow will be ahead and slightly below the peregrine, the other behind and
above. When the falcon closes on the lead crow the trailing one swoops in either tries to peck the back of the
falcon or rakes it with its feet (can't get myself to write "talons" for a crow ) then resumes position when
the falcon pulls off its partner. Watching these avian dogfights almost every morning back in '93 was the highlight
of those days.

That's is also called "Mobbing"

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 3039
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 11:58:30 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

There are ravens in your area, none around here.

I probably see ravens occasionally, but everyone calls the all black birds crows. They are very common around here, probably one of the most common birds along with scrub jays, and as you get down to the river bald eagles.

Ravens/crows are very smart. There is a girl in Seattle that has been feeding them in her back yard and cataloging the gifts they leave for her. A friend of mine heard one making a ruckus in her back yard, went out there and found one hanging near a dead one. She buried the dead one and the one that had been making the noise watched her then flew off. The next day the fence post nearest where she buried the dead one had a small collection of found objects like pull tabs from aluminum cans, an old nail, and some other debris small enough for a crow/raven to carry.

Bill

They have guard duties. And a changing of the guard.

Sledgehammer told me about how as a kid he would walk out on the porch with a broom and the crows would just look at him and continue what they were doing. Yet when he walked out with a gun they flew off before he could get a firing position.

Never leave jewelry where it could be grabbed by a crow.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3040
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 12:07:52 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't waste Chateau Margaux on birds. I prefer Chateau Haut Brion, but I wouldn't say no to Chateau Margaux. I think both are out of both of our budgets. The last bottle of first growth I had was worth about $300 at the time. Chinese demand has run the price into the stratosphere and also created a big wine counterfeiting industry.

Bill

Googling "most expensive wines" for that post, the Chateau Margaux 2009 Balthazar was, at $4,062 per bottle, the least expensive of the 5 listed.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3041
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 12:32:16 AM   
geofflambert

I don't think there's much amity between ravens and crows. The ravens are substantially larger (though the crows are not small by any measure). Almost like a crest, they (ravens) can raise a scruff of feathers under their chin and off the throat that makes them look even bigger. In the US ravens like the wild places. They're common in Montana for instance but you're less likely to see crows. Crows benefit from close contact with humans, and like cornfields as we all know. Ravens are more tolerant of the elements than crows. I don't believe I've ever seen a raven in the wild but I have little doubt that I might mistake one for a crow. Crows are exceedingly intelligent. Most birds don't really see me when I'm looking out my window, they don't recognize me. Crows see me immediately even if it's just my head. Ravens are smarter still.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3042
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 2:54:22 AM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bill

quote:

Googling "most expensive wines" for that post, the Chateau Margaux 2009 Balthazar was, at $4,062 per bottle, the least expensive of the 5 listed.

And if you're going to do it right, you probably shouldn't crack open the bottle until around 2050.

I found Chateau Haut Brion and Latour at Costco back in 1989. I didn't have much cash on me, but bought as many bottles as I could afford (2 Haut Brion and 1 Latour). They were something like $45 a bottle. I opened one of the Haut Brion bottles in 2005 when we were celebrating something. That was the smoothest wine I have ever had, absolutely exquisite. I can see why it's in such high demand.

When we opened the bottle my SO was saying it was going to be vinegar, but I kept telling her, "trust me!" My father introduced me to the first growths when I was a kid. When he found a bargain on one, he'd pick it up. Back then (late 60s and 70s) Trader Joe's usually had a few cases of the first growths per store when the vintages were released each year. Trader Joe's was a local Los Angeles market chain then.

I think Chateau Margaux Balthazar was mentioned on Vicious, is that where you heard about it?

Bill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3043
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 3:33:15 AM   
witpqs

quote:

I don't think there's much amity between ravens and crows. The ravens are substantially larger (though the crows are not small by any measure). Almost like a crest, they (ravens) can raise a scruff of feathers under their chin and off the throat that makes them look even bigger. In the US ravens like the wild places. They're common in Montana for instance but you're less likely to see crows. Crows benefit from close contact with humans, and like cornfields as we all know. Ravens are more tolerant of the elements than crows. I don't believe I've ever seen a raven in the wild but I have little doubt that I might mistake one for a crow. Crows are exceedingly intelligent. Most birds don't really see me when I'm looking out my window, they don't recognize me. Crows see me immediately even if it's just my head. Ravens are smarter still.

Ravens do look like crows generally, but having seen crows you would know something wasn't right - "that looks like a crow but isn't" sort of thing. Raven are larger but also differently proportioned. Their bodies are heavier and their beaks are much thicker. When a raven lands on your roof and walks around it sounds like a roofer is up there checking things out.

Post #: 3044
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 3:37:53 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bill

quote:

And if you're going to do it right, you probably shouldn't crack open the bottle until around 2050.

I found Chateau Haut Brion and Latour at Costco back in 1989. I didn't have much cash on me, but bought as many bottles as I could afford (2 Haut Brion and 1 Latour). They were something like $45 a bottle. I opened one of the Haut Brion bottles in 2005 when we were celebrating something. That was the smoothest wine I have ever had, absolutely exquisite. I can see why it's in such high demand.

When we opened the bottle my SO was saying it was going to be vinegar, but I kept telling her, "trust me!" My father introduced me to the first growths when I was a kid. When he found a bargain on one, he'd pick it up. Back then (late 60s and 70s) Trader Joe's usually had a few cases of the first growths per store when the vintages were released each year. Trader Joe's was a local Los Angeles market chain then.

I think Chateau Margaux Balthazar was mentioned on Vicious, is that where you heard about it?

Bill

Crikey - 2050! I'll stick with a glass of water and a cup of black coffee.

No, I literally just googled "most expensive wines" and besides the usual links it listed a few in what I'll describe as a preview box, and I snagged the first one (least expensive of the five).

Do you temperature control your stored wine?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3045
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 4:26:16 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Ravens do look like crows generally, but having seen crows you would know something wasn't right - "that looks like a crow but isn't" sort of thing. Raven are larger but also differently proportioned. Their bodies are heavier and their beaks are much thicker. When a raven lands on your roof and walks around it sounds like a roofer is up there checking things out.

Growing up in Northern Manitoba, ravens were the only bird around town in the winter.

We had problems with our metal garbage cans being opened and the garbage bags torn apart and strewn all over the place. The lids on the cans were wedged a little bit on because the men emptying the cans bent them out-of-round when they bashed the side of the can on the truck. So my mother cursed the dogs that ran free in the town for knocking off the lids and getting into the garbage.

Then one morning we were up at first light and not making too much noise. We looked out the window and saw a raven hurling himself at the edge of the garbage can lid until it popped off! Three other ravens kept watch and waited for their feast!

In the summer ravens rarely came into town but when we hiked a mile or so out of town a raven would always come and fly near us to see what we were up to. One time we found their rookery about three miles from town, in some trees at the top of a sheer cliff with a lake below, and mostly bare rock beyond. Perfect place to spot enemies approaching.

BTW, I much prefer the occasional croak of a raven to the raucous, non-stop chorus of caws from crows! The aboriginal people revered the raven, but crowns ... not so much!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3046
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 1:58:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

No, I literally just googled "most expensive wines" and besides the usual links it listed a few in what I'll describe as a preview box, and I snagged the first one (least expensive of the five).

I love your honesty, my Argletonian colleague. You're a philistine of the first order, but an unblemished honest one.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3047
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 2:28:08 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I love your honesty, my Argletonian colleague. You're a philistine of the first order, but an unblemished honest one.

You would not be so amused if you were a hummingbird expecting a little taste of Chateau Margaux 2009 Balthazar!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3048
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 2:46:41 PM   
MakeeLearn

It starts off innocent enough....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3049
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 2:47:43 PM   
MakeeLearn

Then it's a daily thing.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3050
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 2:48:06 PM   
Chickenboy

Dad?

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3051
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 7:07:01 PM   
geofflambert

Stop it!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3052
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 8:01:45 PM   
MakeeLearn

1 - See it?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 6/3/2017 8:06:00 PM >

Post #: 3053
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 8:05:28 PM   
MakeeLearn

On ASW patrol...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3054
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 8:10:46 PM   
MakeeLearn

2- MMMMM.. Ita smella very nice'

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3055
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 8:12:51 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

1 - See it?

???

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3056
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 8:36:25 PM   
Zorch

quote:

2- MMMMM.. Ita smella very nice'

Achoo!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3057
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 8:38:11 PM   
Zorch

quote:

On ASW patrol...

Hunting subs by smell? This could be a game changer - Alert the USN.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3058
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 9:05:58 PM   
geofflambert

The CSN Crawdad may be lurking.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3059
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 9:09:15 PM   
geofflambert

May Apples?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3060
Page:   <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI