Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 9:12:03 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3061
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 9:30:28 PM   
geofflambert

My House Wren finally got a break. A female came by and he got all excited, jumping up and down on the roof of his house, jumping back and forth from there to the perch, saying up here! Up here! She flew up for a look.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3062
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 9:31:42 PM   
geofflambert

She stuck her head in, then flew off. He went back to his lonely song.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3063
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 10:35:43 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I guess she saw the big panel TV on the wall and the empty beer bottles next to the reclining chair ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 3064
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 10:37:13 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Many plants start out with a cluster of three leaves before they develop more. Poison Ivy has a woody stem below the leaf cluster while most other small plants have a green stem all the way down.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 3065
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 10:49:41 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

On ASW patrol...

Hunting subs by smell? This could be a game changer - Alert the USN.

She's chasing minnows, darters, shiners, crawdads ... The bigger creek is behind me. She has caught fish before. This keeps her busy for hours.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3066
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 10:53:05 PM   
MakeeLearn

2 Ginseng plants. It's difficult to see the small yellow flowers. The red berries will appear soon and they really make the plant stand out. There is also a bloodroot plant in the pic. And maybe some spicebush(wild allspice).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 6/3/2017 11:16:55 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3067
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 10:55:04 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Too many neighbors. Too much sun?

Post #: 3068
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2017 11:28:04 PM   
geofflambert

I've got some boysenberry and loganberry plants below I've been hoping would grow high enough to give some cover. So far they're not doing so well.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3069
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/5/2017 9:15:59 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Bitch.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 3070
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/5/2017 10:19:31 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Bitch.

Nothing less than a rolex and a penthouse duplex for her.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3071
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/10/2017 9:51:13 AM   
geofflambert

Serious subject for a change. A squadron of F-35s has been grounded at Luke AFB due to hypoxia problems. The F-35 has had lots and lots of problems but this specific problem is not limited to them. I have a little hypoxia hypothesis. High performance aircraft can create conditions similar to centrifuges. Diatomic oxygen is a bit denser than diatomic nitrogen. Therefor we can and should expect during certain maneuvers that the oxygen will be concentrated in certain areas of the cockpit. A couple of solutions come to mind. The simple one and probably the best is to put a couple or a few battery powered fans in strategic spots to remix the air. Another would be to have a monoatomic oxygen generator (if there is such a thing) as this monoatomic oxygen would be pushed by centrifugal force in the opposite direction of the diatomic oxygen and diatomic nitrogen because of it's relative density. I don't happen to know anything about the suitability of monoatomic oxygen for respiration, perhaps it is as bad as ozone. I don't know what its half-life is either.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/10/2017 9:55:20 AM >

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 3072
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/10/2017 10:03:31 AM   
geofflambert

I was reading a CNN article about it and an AF spokesman said that they were grounding the squadron not out of fear or because of danger but out of an abundance of caution. Fraidy Cat says to Scaredy Cat "You flee precipitously because you are chicken. I retreat rapidly from an abundance of caution."

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/10/2017 10:05:19 AM >

Post #: 3073
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/10/2017 10:44:01 AM   
geofflambert

I heard a funny anecdote yesterday about how you know if someone's guilty. If a suspect doesn't ask an investigator any questions about what they're finding out, it's because they don't need to know. The anecdote was there was a murder trial and no body was found. In the defense lawyer's summation he said there was no murder and she (the victim) would be walking through the courtroom door in ten seconds. He paused and after 30 seconds he said "Well, she won't be today, but you looked at the door and that's reasonable doubt. You must acquit." The jury returned with a guilty verdict. The defense lawyer asked the foreman what happened, why didn't his argument work? The foreman replied "You had ten of us but the other two didn't look at the door. They were watching your client and he didn't look either. He was examining his fingernails."

Post #: 3074
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/10/2017 2:32:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I heard a funny anecdote yesterday about how you know if someone's guilty. If a suspect doesn't ask an investigator any questions about what they're finding out, it's because they don't need to know. The anecdote was there was a murder trial and no body was found. In the defense lawyer's summation he said there was no murder and she (the victim) would be walking through the courtroom door in ten seconds. He paused and after 30 seconds he said "Well, she won't be today, but you looked at the door and that's reasonable doubt. You must acquit." The jury returned with a guilty verdict. The defense lawyer asked the foreman what happened, why didn't his argument work? The foreman replied "You had ten of us but the other two didn't look at the door. They were watching your client and he didn't look either. He was examining his fingernails."

I hope no one who hears that and gets on a jury believes that crap.

Post #: 3075
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/10/2017 4:36:01 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

In other words... In order to convince others, you first have to believe your own BS.

Post #: 3076
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/11/2017 12:24:18 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I believe it was a detective, showing his biases. There's some truth there nonetheless.

Criminals are stupid. Watch for it, they'll hand it to you.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/11/2017 12:25:20 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3077
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/11/2017 4:00:45 AM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I believe it was a detective, showing his biases. There's some truth there nonetheless.

Criminals are stupid. Watch for it, they'll hand it to you.

Such people have to pretend to believe their own lies. They can get in trouble if they really believe.

Post #: 3078
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/11/2017 4:14:03 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

I was reading a CNN article about it and an AF spokesman said that they were grounding the squadron not out of fear or because of danger but out of an abundance of caution. Fraidy Cat says to Scaredy Cat "You flee precipitously because you are chicken. I retreat rapidly from an abundance of caution."

I work on a site where we handle explosives and other dangerous goods, either do it safely or dont do it at all. An F35 only cost a few billion, how much is a Pilot worth!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 3079
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/12/2017 7:21:35 PM   
rsallen64

Mr. Gorn, I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion of using bleach to clean the hummingbird feeders. My wife cleaned them regularly, but never thought of using bleach. After reading your post, she tried the bleach and now the little buggers are swarming the feeder again just like they used to.

Not only is this forum excellent for game related issues, but apparently it's good for all things in life!

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

Post #: 3080
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 4:02:31 AM   
geofflambert

Everything has nooks and crannies. Usually that's a good thing. Most people like nookie and crannie. Soap is pretty weak stuff and if you can't get a brush in there to remove buildup by force majeur ammonia really works well, but nothing destroys organic matter like bleach except sulfuric acid, and I don't ever recommend playing with that. Sometimes a cleaning with ammonia, then a thorough rinsing, then a soak in bleach water will do miracles. Lye is quite powerful in dissolving organic matter. Just don't mix any of the above things. Actually you can mix lye and bleach, that's also called Liquid Plumber. Just don't mix ammonia with anything.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 3081
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 4:16:57 AM   
geofflambert

Since we're now into explaining all things in life, you can't beat TSP (trisodiumphosphate) for cutting grease. If you need to dissolve lime, let's say more than half the holes on your shower head are clogged, take the rubber washers out and drop the head (or a faucet aerator) into a glass of white vinegar and let it soak for a day or two. My next post may be about using horseradish to treat impotence. You never know.

Post #: 3082
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 5:12:11 AM   
rustysi

quote:

My next post may be about using horseradish to treat impotence.

Edit:No, I don't want to know. TMI!!!!!

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 3083
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 2:15:12 PM   
witpqs

He was referring to his alpha strike not flying.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3084
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 2:46:07 PM   
btd64

Here's something to ponder;

Which came first, the chicken or the egg???

And how would the Gorn know about Horseradish. I've never heard about that. Have no need.

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3085
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 2:49:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

nothing destroys organic matter like bleach except sulfuric acid

This is a widely circulated and patently incorrect assessment of bleach's disinfectant properties in the presence of organic matter. Dilute bleach is an effective disinfectant on smooth, non-porous, inorganic matter such as countertops, enamel ware, stainless steel, etc. The hypochlorite ion (the active disinfectant agent) fares poorly in the presence of organic matter, such as feces, dirt, wood and other common organic materials. It is bound very quickly by the organic debris and rendered ineffective. Another common problem with bleach is the lack of contact time and failure to rinse properly after contact time on the material in question.

For better efficacy in organic-rich environments, classes of phenolics or quartenary ammonia products are preferred. But these can be quite caustic or cause damage to unprotected materials, such as iron or other 'base' metals.

The use of sulfuric acid in a domestic setting for common disinfection is just plain silly and invites injury where none is due. Formalin / formaldehyde gas is a very effective aerosolized area disinfectant, but is quite hazardous to anything that you want to-you know-keep alive after exposure. Long gone are the days when one could drop a small brick of KMnO4 into a bucket of formalin to induce an exothermic reaction that aerosolized it throughout a house. Goodness knows I've never done that silly "dump and run" thing...

In general, one should thoroughly clean anything with soap and water *before* application of any disinfectant to remove offending organic material that may interfere with / inactivate the choice of disinfectant applied thereafter. This is often overlooked as a fundamental step in proper disinfection.

Clean, then apply apply appropriate disinfectant (should be dripping wet, not just sprinkled), then allow sufficient contact time, then rinse, let dry and return to use.

ETA: Follow sensible dilution guidelines for disinfection purposes. Don't use 'straight' bleach because 'if it's stronger it must be better'. Mix up a fresh dilution, use it quickly (the hypochlorite ion will 'off gas' and be ineffective in a relatively short period of time if left open to the air) and either let the rest sit out and off gas or dispose of it properly. If you have a septic system, do NOT dump the solution down the drain, as it may damage pipes, interact with the chlorine tablets in your septic and screw up the biota in your tank).

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 6/13/2017 3:07:18 PM >

Post #: 3086
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 2:50:15 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

A no brainer. The egg.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3087
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 8:04:07 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

A no brainer. The egg.

Was it hard-boiled?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3088
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 10:10:28 PM   
geofflambert

Which comes first, the egg or the bacon? Professor.

With your pusillanimouspermanganate.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/13/2017 10:12:13 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3089
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/13/2017 10:19:21 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

And how would the Gorn know about Horseradish. I've never heard about that. Have no need.

When my starship crashed here I was instructed that Collinsville, Il, not much more than a stone's throw away, is the horseradish capital of the world. More than 50% of all the horseradish consumed on this planet is grown here. Horseradish is indispensible with roast beef. Cocktail sauces' main ingredient is horseradish and how would you eat shrimp, boiled or fried, without it?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3090
Page:   <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI