Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/13/2017 9:04:57 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

So that the fridge can be used in Sweden during the day.

Arctic humor!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3481
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/13/2017 11:10:18 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Just grab the crackers on the counter...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3482
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/22/2017 8:32:20 PM   
geofflambert

I just read in Wiki-P that George H. W. Bush enlisted(?) in the Navy after graduating from a prep school. He was commissioned an ensign three days shy of 19 years old, being at that time the youngest Naval aviator ever. He did go to Yale after the war. I'd heard of enlisted men becoming officers based on merit but a high school graduate going directly to officer school I had not. Anybody know of other examples? Jimmy Carter was the same age but didn't graduate from Annapolis til '46. Canada had a nuclear reactor meltdown in '52 and Jimmy was sent up there to help shut it down.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3483
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/22/2017 9:17:04 PM   
btd64

Jimmy always did have a glow about him.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3484
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/23/2017 1:56:42 PM   
Lecivius

Attachment (1)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3485
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/23/2017 2:35:36 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Only during pterodactyl hunting season.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3486
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/25/2017 2:46:05 PM   
Lecivius

By request..

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3487
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/25/2017 2:48:25 PM   
Lecivius

And just because I'm a smarta$$ ( no offense, Geoff )

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3488
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/25/2017 3:15:02 PM   
geofflambert

I'll distinguish myself thusly

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Cartesian metrical foot humor

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 10/25/2017 3:20:55 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3489
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/25/2017 3:38:07 PM   
witpaemail

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I had a pretty good scare this a.m.. Woke up and checked my email and there was a note from American Express saying I hadn't paid my bill. I pulled out my current statements, which aren't due yet. I have a green card which is non-revolving and a blue card which is. Doesn't matter, I pay both of them off in full each month regardless. I mail a check for each account in separate envelopes with the bill stub included. Checking the statements I see they applied both checks to the blue card account, leaving me a credit, and nothing to the green card account. I called them up and got that straightened out. I asked "Does this sort of thing happen often?" Reply - "Oh, yes. Some of our customers have up to five cards and things get mixed up sometimes". ! My question is this: If they can misapply a check to the wrong account, what's to keep them from applying it to the account of a different customer?

It happens. Me and my bank (rather EX bank - US Bank) went round and round. They werent going to give me my money back until the person that owns the account they applied it to paid it. Yeah, that sat well with me. Went to the bank and had a little "chat" with their person in the lobby (was saturday). They called the cops. I told them when I got out I would have signs and the media in place with the story. They gave me my money, but wouldnt allow me to close the account, so I went straight to another branch and closed it anyway.

Thieves. NEVER do business with US Bank

Post #: 3490
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/25/2017 11:41:25 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I just read in Wiki-P that George H. W. Bush enlisted(?) in the Navy after graduating from a prep school.

quote:

I'd heard of enlisted men becoming officers based on merit but a high school graduate going directly to officer school I had not.

I can't say as to the second part, but I'll add something to the first. His father had asked him what he intended on doing when he graduated, and his response was he would enlist. This his father opposed, he wanted his son to take a deferment and go straight to college. George insisted he would enlist. Dad then went out and hired a commencement speaker who echoed his views. After graduation dad asked him what he thought now. George went right to the recruiter and enlisted.

Reason I have a lot of respect for the man.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to witpaemail)
Post #: 3491
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/27/2017 4:17:53 PM   
geofflambert

*There was a young man*
*From Cork, who got limericks*
*And haikus confused.*

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3492
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/27/2017 4:29:31 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

*There was a young man*
*From Cork, who got limericks*
*And haikus confused.*

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3493
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/27/2017 5:07:31 PM   
AW1Steve

World war two did NOT require a college degree for a commission. Hap Arnold of the USAAF wanted everyone to have a degree, till he was told that if every single college graduate went into the Air Force , there still would not be enough. The legal requirement was a high school degree. Now the USN tried to get fancy. They desired two years of college (not necessarily an associate degree) or Prep school. They wanted their officers to be a little more "finished" than their enlisted men. 2 years of college might do. Going to a prep school like Phillips Exeter Academy definitely would. That was always the prep school of choice for the rich (like the Kennedys, or the Bushes.) And yes , G H W Bush is an alumni of that school. Besides, Naval aviators at that time were not considered quite as gentlemanly as their "black shoes" cousins.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3494
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/28/2017 7:56:45 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I had a pretty good scare this a.m.. Woke up and checked my email and there was a note from American Express saying I hadn't paid my bill. I pulled out my current statements, which aren't due yet. I have a green card which is non-revolving and a blue card which is. Doesn't matter, I pay both of them off in full each month regardless. I mail a check for each account in separate envelopes with the bill stub included. Checking the statements I see they applied both checks to the blue card account, leaving me a credit, and nothing to the green card account. I called them up and got that straightened out. I asked "Does this sort of thing happen often?" Reply - "Oh, yes. Some of our customers have up to five cards and things get mixed up sometimes". ! My question is this: If they can misapply a check to the wrong account, what's to keep them from applying it to the account of a different customer?

I pay off the balance every month and I've had the wrong card paid twice. I ended up with two credit cards through Chase due to bank consolidation. I've had both since the 90s. They have screwed up things several times. If the handwritten line and the box with numbers doesn't match (because I miswrote something), they take whatever the smallest of the two is. They have applied my check to the wrong account too, though I started writing on the note line three dashes and the last 4 digits of the card and they haven't done that screwup in a few years.

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpaemail
It happens. Me and my bank (rather EX bank - US Bank) went round and round. They werent going to give me my money back until the person that owns the account they applied it to paid it. Yeah, that sat well with me. Went to the bank and had a little "chat" with their person in the lobby (was saturday). They called the cops. I told them when I got out I would have signs and the media in place with the story. They gave me my money, but wouldnt allow me to close the account, so I went straight to another branch and closed it anyway.

Thieves. NEVER do business with US Bank

We do all our banking with a local bank. All the big banks are horrible IMO.

The nearest branch for the bank we use is also in the shopping center we have to drive past coming and going to our house, so it is very convenient to bank there too.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to witpaemail)
Post #: 3495
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 5:41:12 PM   
geofflambert

I know that many of us can relate to the following quote from a survivor of the CVE St. Lo lost in the action off Samar. "At this time in my life, one of my greatest pleasures is finding my glasses before I forget why I'm looking for them."

From page 424 of "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors".

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3496
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 6:13:44 PM   
Lecivius

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3497
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 6:49:14 PM   
geofflambert

Who is that? Captain Kadiddlewumple?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3498
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 7:08:47 PM   
Lecivius

Notice the differences?

Post #: 3499
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 7:10:02 PM   
Orm

I thought that the local banks all were owned by the big banks.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 3500
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 7:22:35 PM   
geofflambert

OK, someone ate one of my squirrels in my back yard. I did not authorize this feast, but as long as the guilty party comes forth and admits to their skullduggery I feel I can forgive it. I would highly recommend that you come forward now as things could go quite harshly for you later.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3501
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 7:36:13 PM   
geofflambert

I didn't notice this before, but ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3502
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 7:58:13 PM   
MakeeLearn

Maybe this funny looking Owl did it?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3503
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 8:12:04 PM   
geofflambert

I once saw one of these up close. I was a boy scout and I was camping on a scout ranch when a couple of tornadoes came through. Our tents were swamped so we all got into an old VW van to sleep for the night. I awoke sometime that night and wanted a cigarette, so I rolled down the window next to me and lit up. I had a flashlight readily at hand and heard something outside. It was a bobcat and it seemed to me to be as big as a German Shephard. I could have reached out and touched it. I had the flashlight on it so there was no doubt. It was spotted, kind of like a leopard. It just glanced at me and kept moving like I didn't matter at all.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3504
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 8:16:16 PM   
Lecivius

Pics, or it didn't happen!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3505
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 8:22:11 PM   
geofflambert

My brother, who is significantly older than me, claimed, and I have no reason to doubt it, when he was a boy scout in Pennsylvania, he was on a ledge on a cliff face when he encountered one. He says it leapt at him and he pushed it away with one arm, it falling down to the base of the cliff, apparently dying from the impact. He said he thought it must have been sick, first to attack him and second to so utterly fail.

Post #: 3506
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/30/2017 8:26:40 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

Pics, or it didn't happen!

I have no pics. It was the S - F (that was pronounced S bar F) Scout Ranch and it was 1974, I think. S bar F stood for Styx Baer and Fuller, a department store chain that donated the land and etc.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3507
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/31/2017 9:57:59 AM   
Orm

quote:

OK, someone ate one of my squirrels in my back yard. I did not authorize this feast, but as long as the guilty party comes forth and admits to their skullduggery I feel I can forgive it. I would highly recommend that you come forward now as things could go quite harshly for you later.

Maybe a Gorn did it? Are you sure you do not sleepwalk, or rather sleepeat?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 3508
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/31/2017 8:10:49 PM   
Lecivius

And here I thought I was having a bad day...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3509
RE: OT Things to ponder - 10/31/2017 9:46:01 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

And here I thought I was having a bad day...

What you get for smoking while jumping ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3510
Page:   <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI